Caution! Valve stem cover L.E.D cause of serious crash?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Milehibuddy

Caution! Valve stem cover L.E.D cause of serious crash?

Post by Milehibuddy »

I had my back tire loose all air pressure 3 weeks ago. It immediatly flipped me over the top of the scoot. When i stopped rolling, it flipped on to the top of me. I suffered broken ribs (front) 3 broken ribs (back) and broken sternum. Plenty of road rash. I was lucky.
The dealer says the cause was from a after market stem light that I purchased from them. (Street FX Tire Technics) Valve caps that light up with L.E.D. lights for visability. If this was actually the cause, I highly suggest that you do not do any mod's to your rims or tires.

TonyF

Post by TonyF »

Yikes!

Forget the tire and stems. Hopefully you heal up and soon.

Sounds like you weren't wearing much protection. Please help others by telling us if you were.
Milehibuddy

Post by Milehibuddy »

Lesson Learned!
No helmet, no gloves, T-Shirt, pants and sunglasses. On my way to work.
Happened so quick, you never know when, no matter how great of scooterrist you are.
Things out of your control do happen.
Last edited by Milehibuddy on Sat Aug 16, 2008 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
docutech

Post by docutech »

Milehibuddy wrote:Lesson Learned!
No helmet,no gloves, T-Shirt, pants and sunglasses. On my to work.
Happened so quick, you never know when, no matter how great of scooterrist you are.
Things out of your control do happen.
WOW, just WOW
Tysonviolin

Post by Tysonviolin »

nother state with no helmet law- Is California alone in this?
Scooting is ZEN....
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

I'm a helmet and glove absolutist. But that being said, I don't think wearing a helmet or gloves would have helped his ribs/sternum at all. In fact, ATGATT wouldn't have helped his ribs/sternum at all.
BigColdMartini

Post by BigColdMartini »

I put some red colored stem covers on my red Buddy and when I came out for a ride an hour later both tires were flat. I had screwed them down very tight but I guess there must be something different about Buddy stems. Just glad it didn't happen while riding.

Hope you feel better soon.
PasadenaSue

Post by PasadenaSue »

Milehibuddy, I really hope you heal quickly. What a scary thing to happen. Thanks for the warning. I have a pressure reading valve stem cap on the front tire which lets me know when my tire pressure is low. I'll be careful to check it before each ride.

PasadenaSue
Milehibuddy

Post by Milehibuddy »

Thanks, Martini!
Feeling better being at home instead of the sterile hospital!
Someone's lookin out for you, good thing you noticed the air loss!
Milehibuddy

Post by Milehibuddy »

PasadenaSue wrote:Milehibuddy, I really hope you heal quickly. What a scary thing to happen. Thanks for the warning. I have a pressure reading valve stem cap on the front tire which lets me know when my tire pressure is low. I'll be careful to check it before each ride.

PasadenaSue
Thanks PasadenaSue !
Stay safe!
BigColdMartini

Post by BigColdMartini »

Mine were made by a company called Motrax and looked like this...

If yours were from the same company maybe we need to let them know to put a warning on the package about using on scooters.
Attachments
MRX_ValveCaps_310.jpg
MRX_ValveCaps_310.jpg (7.7 KiB) Viewed 2892 times
Milehibuddy

Post by Milehibuddy »

These look like regular valve stem covers.
The L.E.D. ones were taller.

I saved the package: "Warning for off road use only" printed on the back,with the photo of a street motorcycle on the front?
BigColdMartini

Post by BigColdMartini »

What? Gold Wings don't make good motocross bikes?

BTW, I went ahead and sent an email to the manufacturer just to let them know about my incident. There were no warnings or cautions on my packaging about usage.

I hate to mention litigation but you could have a product liability case here. Could be worth looking into just to get your medical bills paid and any time off of work you may lose.
skullmechanic

Post by skullmechanic »

I'm glad you're on the mend. Thanks for sharing...

Consult an attorney. Something isn't quite right here. Negligence? I hope your dealer stopped selling these things.
"We're here, because we're not all there."
Milehibuddy

Post by Milehibuddy »

Thanks skullmechanic!
The dealer said he was going to remove them from his shelves, still on them though. Hoping that they tell people from now on that they do not have the clearance for the Buddy's.
As far as a attorney, right now I just want to heel and get back to work and ride my new Buddy!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/29599850@N04/
DennisD

Post by DennisD »

The same thing happened to Frankenscoot with a new rear tire and led stems on his Vino 125. Crashed, tore up his scoot and needs lots of repairs. Luckily he was wearing gear and escaped serious injury.
V4V

Post by V4V »

I put a brand of those things on my car a couple of years ago. (I know, I know :roll: ) The brand was Tireflys. On my way home from work one day the tire suddenly went flat. Took the tire to a shop, and they found no problem with the tire, and I am still riding on it. Seems that the Tirefly's weight causes a wobble and might have tapped on the valve stem pin and drained the air. Needless to say, they all went in the garbage.
This may be the most important moment of your life. Commit to it.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Glad you came through this with your bod on the mend and your attitude in good shape. Hope you are back on the road real soon.

Be sure you post your experience on the crash thread.

(I won't say anything about the importance of helmets. It seems to make some folks tense.)
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Really sorry to hear about your accident. Those kinds of stems are illegal in CA, I think, and probably are in other states, too, which is why they're for "off-road use."

Do you mind posting about this incident in our "who's crashed?" thread? We're actually tracking incidents and doing stats based on the reports there.

Heal up and ride safe!
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
sradwick

Post by sradwick »

Were you going straight or turning? Kind of scary to think that a flat tire is going to send me barreling over...
Milehibuddy

Post by Milehibuddy »

Posted this in the who has crashed for ya!
Thanks, this site is healing!
Milehibuddy

Post by Milehibuddy »

Thanks sradwick,
I was going straight as a arrow!
I had just left a stoplight and was accelerating up to around 35MPH. Next thing I remember was the scooter flipping and coming over the top of me. The Denver PD said that the witnesses saw me going straight and it looked like the tire just blew?
TonyF

Post by TonyF »

It amazes me how quickly things can go wrong when riding. The most important thing is that it doesn't sound like you hit anything (like a car, a tree, or a light pole). That can hurt, believe me!

Godspeed in your recovery.
coffeekittie

Post by coffeekittie »

I wanted to get some for my scoot, but was told the LED kind are illegal for street use here in WA state. I'm glad I didn't get them - your accident sounds so painful! Broken ribs suck, hurt and take a long time to heal, so be careful with yourself during this down time!

:(
"There are two means of refuge from the misery of life - music and cats."
- Albert Schweitzer

See me and my cool cats at www.justcatshotel.com
www.olygeek.com
Howardr

Post by Howardr »

I just bought some of those "Gas Saver" things to put on the valve stems. Has anyone had an issue with those? After reading this post, I'm a little concerned.

Howard
Iron Butt Association Member Number 42256
Club - The Sky Island Riders.
Publisher: The Scooter 'Zine thescooterzine.com
Portland_Rider
Location: Free Territory of the Pacific Northwest (Kalifornia refugee)

Take care of yourself and get well!

Post by Portland_Rider »

Hi Milehibuddy,

Sorry to hear about your accident. I can't imagine what you must have and are going through. Fortunately your are still with us!

Myself, I'm new to this site and new to riding.

Portland Rider
newslinky

Post by newslinky »

Ill add my sympathies to those who have already posted Milehigh. Glad to hear you weren't even more seriously injured as it sounds like you high sided when your rear tire went. Love your new scoot it looks real sharp. Hope you heal quickly and thanks for the heads up on the valve things.
Proud owner of a Buddy St. Tropez 150
DennisD

Post by DennisD »

The best thing you can do to save gas is ride your Buddy in its stock form. It might be boring to you but is more dependable and apparantly safer. Just my 2 cents.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

DennisD wrote:The best thing you can do to save gas is ride your Buddy in its stock form. It might be boring to you but is more dependable and apparantly safer. Just my 2 cents.
This will not only save you gas, but will greatly extend the life of your Buddy.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
skullmechanic

Post by skullmechanic »

DennisD wrote:The best thing you can do to save gas is ride your Buddy in its stock form.
Except for Zombie stickers. 8)
"We're here, because we're not all there."
MPA

Post by MPA »

how many days did you have these lights on your scoot?
Milehibuddy

Re: Take care of yourself and get well!

Post by Milehibuddy »

Portland_Rider wrote:Hi Milehibuddy,

Sorry to hear about your accident. I can't imagine what you must have and are going through. Fortunately your are still with us!

Myself, I'm new to this site and new to riding.

Portland Rider
Thanks Portland,
Welcome to a fantastic forum, these scooterist are great group of great people! :clap:
Jessica

Post by Jessica »

skullmechanic wrote: Except for Zombie stickers. 8)
Yep, they not only make the buddy faster, they improve manuverability. :P
Modern Buddy Member #2753
<a href="http://www.raleighscooter.org/index.html">Raleigh Scooter Organization</a> #45
Official S.P.A.Z. Member
Milehibuddy

Post by Milehibuddy »

coffeekittie wrote:I wanted to get some for my scoot, but was told the LED kind are illegal for street use here in WA state. I'm glad I didn't get them - your accident sounds so painful! Broken ribs suck, hurt and take a long time to heal, so be careful with yourself during this down time!

:(
Thanks Coffeekittie,
Yeah the ribbies are a bit sore, but I am so happy that I have a new scoot waiting for me.
I am totally in good health just waiting on time to take it's course. Hey, I can type, see, hear, smell, walk, talk, life is great lets all enjoy the day!
Milehibuddy

Post by Milehibuddy »

Howardr wrote:I just bought some of those "Gas Saver" things to put on the valve stems. Has anyone had an issue with those? After reading this post, I'm a little concerned.

Howard
I do not know what they are, but if it goes on a tire, or valve stem, I learned my lesson.
Milehibuddy

Post by Milehibuddy »

MPA wrote:how many days did you have these lights on your scoot?
Less than 2 miles!
olhogrider

Post by olhogrider »

I had some on the Harley with no issues. When I put them on the Vespa there was not enough clearance with the swingarm. Tore the light to pieces. I'm just lucky it wasn't the valve stem. No more dodads on the wheels for me. Sorry you weren't as lucky as me.
Milehibuddy

Post by Milehibuddy »

olhogrider wrote:I had some on the Harley with no issues. When I put them on the Vespa there was not enough clearance with the swingarm. Tore the light to pieces. I'm just lucky it wasn't the valve stem. No more dodads on the wheels for me. Sorry you weren't as lucky as me.
I wish they would of made a louder noise when they were hitting on something.
I had the Prima Exspansion Chamber on that scoot so maybe it was too loud? Never felt a vibration either? The cap did show wear on it that it was hitting though.
Thanks for your Thoughts!
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

I was going to put some of those tire minders that tell you if they're getting low. You put a stop to that purchase! Thanks. You might have saved my skin.
Elm Creek Smith

Post by Elm Creek Smith »

Howardr wrote:I just bought some of those "Gas Saver" things to put on the valve stems. Has anyone had an issue with those? After reading this post, I'm a little concerned.

Howard
I wouldn't use them. I had them on my Budd, and the back tire lost air, not badly enough to cause me to wreck, but it was scary. They are bigger and heavier than a regular valve stem cap and don't clear all the stuff inside the back wheel. When I took the one of the back, it had a big worn place in it that let the air out.

ECS
Yes, that is my scooter.
Yes, I wear a helmet and a FIRSTGEAR armored jacket.
No, I'm not embarrassed to be seen riding it.
Yes, that is an NRA sticker on the fender.

"I aim to misbehave."
Jessica

Post by Jessica »

I really want to thank you for posting this. I was going to buy some heavier chrome valve caps for my scoot and now have decided to leave it alone. It sucks that we all had to learn from something tragic that happened to you, but at least take it as a lesson well learned. I hope you get better quickly!
Modern Buddy Member #2753
<a href="http://www.raleighscooter.org/index.html">Raleigh Scooter Organization</a> #45
Official S.P.A.Z. Member
Milehibuddy

Post by Milehibuddy »

Jessica wrote:I really want to thank you for posting this. I was going to buy some heavier chrome valve caps for my scoot and now have decided to leave it alone. It sucks that we all had to learn from something tragic that happened to you, but at least take it as a lesson well learned. I hope you get better quickly!
Thanks Jessica!
Sometimes it is so much fun to personalize our scooters. I ride alot at night with my work hours. I thought they would make me safer by the brightness of L.E.D. lights :livid:
Feeling much better, Doc gave me a release date back to work of September 1st !
I went to school in Winston-Salem. N.C. is a beautiful area to scoot! 8)
ICEE

Post by ICEE »

Dude,
That sucks, thanks I was about to do the same thing. You just saved my life.

ICEE

p.s. Always wear a helmet