Digital Dash Owners Unite! How do I fix my odometer?

All things Genuine Blur

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

groovedirk

Digital Dash Owners Unite! How do I fix my odometer?

Post by groovedirk »

Okay I've got my digital dash installed (thanks to the great instructions here) and I love it. The speedometer seems VERY optimistic but I need to bring my GPS along with me to see HOW much. However I'd like to fix the odometer to reflect the correct mileage.

Someone mentioned using an electric drill, do I take the inner cable from the speedo cable and tape it the end of a drill and just start spinning?? Does it need to get taped to some big circle??

--Dirk--
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

Congratulations and welcome to the club! :D
Adjusting the odometer:
When you installed the speed sensor on the front wheel hub, remember that white plastic stub that got inserted into the hub? Just chuck that into an electric drill (not too tight now, or you might damage it) and start spinning away. Make sure you're turning it in the right direction - you'll know by looking at the speedometer/odometer reading.
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
Racenut

Post by Racenut »

I just saved my old odometer, not like there's a market for them anyway. If a question of actual mileage arises, I just add it to it.

And FWIW, I'm finding the digital Odometer function to be much closer to reality. But the speedo is off by about the same amount I think. Mostly because with the original, I would hit about 60-61mph on the road to work. With the new one, it's 60-61mph, just the same.

The strange thing to me is how could they get one close to right and the other so far off.

If you ride an indicated 30mph, for 2 minutes, it should tick off 1 mile on the Odometer. They're reading the SAME signal, so how could it be off by that much? I thought Asians were supposed to be good at math? :D
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

The speedo thing isn't an accident, most bikes are like that. Whether they do it to make you feel like you're going faster so you don't speed or so you think the bike is better than it is, or so it gets more accurate as your tires wear down, or whatever, I dunno, but it's certainly not an accident when they're all like that.

Bb.
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

I don't know if this is a bunch of hooey or not, but while living in Taiwan, there was a lot of concern about kids riding too fast on their scooters so there was talk of manufacturers purposely calibrating their speedometers to read faster than actual speed in order to essentially trick the faster riders into thinking they were going faster than they were. Like I said, this may be just a bunch of hooey. :D
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
Racenut

Post by Racenut »

Oh yeah.. cuz claiming they're being "clever" is way better than admitting they suck at math :D
blurblaine

Post by blurblaine »

The tough thing is adding up the actual mileage...

Okay, that's 5,000 'real miles' on the digital odometer + 5,146 Blur Units from the original instrument cluster which equals..... Hmmmmm.

I think I will just stick to the 'Great White North' McKenzie Brothers method of US to metric conversion: "Okay, eh. That's a 6-pack in the US, so in Canada just double it and add 30 ... so now you can drink 42 metric beers!" :lol:
(that was an obscure comic reference from the 80's for you youngsters ... do you remember?)
Blaine

The 'Nati
Blur 150
Sym RV250
http://www.blainekelley.com/scooters.html

orange is good ... except in the NFL!
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

blurblaine wrote:(that was an obscure comic reference from the 80's for you youngsters ... do you remember?)[/i]
ooooh, yeah. Remember Ernie? His ma sucked his toes!
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.