Audre hits 22,000 miles

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Alix B

Audre hits 22,000 miles

Post by Alix B »

Of course, it's not the original engine, like Bonegirls. :(
I firmly believe she would be on her first, had slack mechanics been more fastidious

What I'm proud of is riding that many miles in 190 days. I rode 3 months last year, kept her winter safe, riding only 100 miles, and then 3 months of riding this year.

And before getting on the road, I had only 1,000 mile under my belt, on my Metropolitan 49cc.

All this said-damn I wanna go riding!!!! Anyone live in Maine? Near the Auburn?
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

thats a lot of miles! I did not see any Buddies when I was in Maine last fall, and maybe only a couple scooters-a pair of vespas outside a car dealership.

What happened to the "C" in Cleveland?
kazoo

Post by kazoo »

That’s pretty neat Alix. I would imagine you would never get rid of the Peace Buddy, but instead pass it down the generations. . .

The following two inanimate objects I wish I still had are my 1970 Nova and my Stingray Bicycle.
pdxer

22000 miles

Post by pdxer »

what a great way to finish your peace tour but with a final auction with the grand prize being audrey!!! some lucky soul could own a piece (peace?) of history. :D
olhogrider

Post by olhogrider »

Sorry I haven't read the whole story, but what did the mechanics overlook?
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

olhogrider wrote:Sorry I haven't read the whole story, but what did the mechanics overlook?
Alix was one of the unfortunate victims of the "insufficiently tightened oil filter comes loose, spews oil, kills engine."
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
newslinky

Post by newslinky »

Bummer on the engine loss and grats on the mileage that is outstanding! I love how your scoot has signatures all over it from your trip.
Proud owner of a Buddy St. Tropez 150
Alix B

Post by Alix B »

ericalm wrote:
olhogrider wrote:Sorry I haven't read the whole story, but what did the mechanics overlook?
Alix was one of the unfortunate victims of the "insufficiently tightened oil filter comes loose, spews oil, kills engine."
Torque with a vengeance.
:evil:
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

Seeing Audre in person is a little more moving than a pic of the Odometer. Just knowing what you did was pretty inspiring last weekend at Scoot Richmond. I know you've got to be missing her, I caught a glimpse of her in the back of the shop when I was there to pick up some parts last Thursday. Good place to leave it in my opinion.

In addition to torque'n with a vengeance, I'd highly suggest threadlocking with a passion!

On a side note, how do you like the NCY Shocks?
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
Alix B

Post by Alix B »

Lostmycage wrote: In addition to torque'n with a vengeance, I'd highly suggest threadlocking with a passion!

On a side note, how do you like the NCY Shocks?
Yea, the clutch came loose also and created some damage because it was torqued enough.

Dude, I miss the scooter. I'm home now and there is an empty spot for her in the driveway.
However, the hiatus has given me a chance to remove all bugs from my jacket. Just pulled it out of the washer and it looks like new.

NCY performance shocks are worth the investment.
Noticeable improvement both with and without my gear. I adjusted the rear shock a couple of times, depending on gear and road conditions. I like having the option.

It was good to see you on Saturday. Chelsea knows how to throw a shin dig, eh!
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

That she does. I sorta wished I'd brought my scoot, but there was some beer-drinkin' so the Accord it was! Chelsea had those forks on a table waiting for me when I went in to pick up my Prima pipe (just got back home from the first/test ride - NO ONE tried to merge on me, seems like they notice me a little better :twisted: totally worth it!) and I was *extremely* tempted to get it as this weekend meant almost completely disassembling the scoot for paint as well, but I told her I had to wait till they had a demo scooter with them on before I bit on those forks. They look awesome, but I think I'd rather get a heavier-duty and adjustable rear shock first for 2-upping with my wife. I scraped the center-stand making a left the other night when we went out to Panera for dinner - our first 2-up ride ever.

I'll be back at Scoot this week to bug them about windshields, let me know if you'll be there, I'd love to show off the new paint, hehe.
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
Alix B

Post by Alix B »

heh. I moved to Maine. Bike will be here soon.

I rode double up a bunch on the old shocks. It will be interesting to see how we do on the new shocks. Wish I had them when we doubled up in San Fran.

Takes awhile to get used to the weight for sure, as well as adjustment in sitting. Sitting further up makes me feel not as in control.
runtotorun121

Post by runtotorun121 »

I love the look of the signatures and artwork on Audrey. :) Do you have other photos showing some of the different things that people put on her? Whatever you used for writing on the paint did a great job!
~Celebrate~
Alix B

Post by Alix B »

Hmm. There are random photos in my flickr account. As soon as I get her back I will do a little video tour.

Thanks for getting that idea going.
I'm going to re panel the scooter, because I want to preserve all the signatures.