KSR: Help guys... I found a MC I really really want...

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

What should I do?

Just keep the Buddy, You will kill yourself on that Crotch Rocket
34%
Keep the Buddy and get the Yamaha R6... Fast is Fun
32%
Sell the Buddy to help pay for the Yamaha R6
7%
Trade in my girlfriend, and use the money I save on taking her out etc... to pay for the bike.
27%

Total votes: 41

MikieTaps

KSR: Help guys... I found a MC I really really want...

Post by MikieTaps »

So I freakin love my buddy!!! I ride it everyday... I have put 2500 miles on since May, I am super active in the scooter community, both online, and here in seattle.

I have just a couple problems... I feel as though I have maxed out the scooter.. I have ground both sides on my scooter while leaning into really tight turns... the center stand on the left, and finally this weekend, I got the pipe down on the ground twice.

I went into my local Honda / Yamaha MC Dealer to see what they had going on... and they have a Brand new, 2006, Yamaha R6 with like 2 miles that they are trying to move for $9000 OTD <--- everything included... :? Its so beautiful, and sexy, fast, cornering beast...

My girlfriend says... if I want a MC i have to trade in my buddy... I suggested I trade her in <--- i got in trouble for that

I really want both... anybody that has both a MC and a Scooter want to chime in?

Also... I may be getting a new job in Bellevue, which would require some freeway riding for my commute, which would be safer on the R6.
Last edited by MikieTaps on Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Orange Guy

Re: KSR: Help guys... I found a MC I really really want...

Post by Orange Guy »

I saw something in your sig ...
"Your post makes baby Jesus cry."
I suppose I should be upset, even feel violated, but I'm not. No, in fact, I think this is a friendly message, like "Hey, wanna play?" and yes I want to play. I really really do.

Orange Guy, Inc.
MikieTaps

Post by MikieTaps »

Orange Guy wrote:I saw something in your sig ...
"Your post makes baby Jesus cry."
So you are saying I should keep the buddy AND get the Yamaha R6?!?! :D
BigColdMartini

Post by BigColdMartini »

Why not have both? I've been watching that show 'Long Way Down' with Ewan McGregor and I'm thinking of getting a BMW for myself. Going to ride one over the Labor Day weekend to see if I like it. They make it in red too to match my Buddy.
DennisD

Post by DennisD »

I have both. In my garage are four scooters and one motorcycle. No, its not a sport bike but I love the Triumph Bonneville.

I have a wonderful wife. She has never said anything about my selling any of my two wheelers before getting another. She never tells me what I will or won't or have to do. I have all the freedom in the world to do exactly as I please. Therefore I don't. Damn smart woman. She did tell me that a garage full of 2 wheelers was easier to deal with than a bar full of babes. Like I said, smart woman.

You say that's your girlfriend, not your wife? Hmmm. Imagine what it will be like when you're married.
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

OK, here's my psychology on a decision like this.

You obviously want a MC. You've talked about it a lot and we've even PM'd about it I think. Someday you're going to get one.

It's hard to say, but my guess, from the limited amount I know of you (only 5 or 6 thousand posts worth), is that if/when you get a sport bike you will not ride your Buddy anymore. Your favorite things to do on the Buddy are go fast and grind things. You may get nostalgic a bit for the Buddy and its simplicity, but again, it's just my guess that once you have the power you really want, you won't ride it much and it won't make much sense to keep both. So your girlfriend may not be trying to control you, she may just know you really well.

So, based on that, I'd use the following to base my decision:
MikieTaps wrote: Also... I may be getting a new job in Bellevue, which would require some freeway riding for my commute, which would be safer on the R6.
I'd wait to see if I got the new job. Then I'd see if the bike was still there. If it was, I'd get it. If not, I'd just keep searching for one and buy another bike.

In my experience it's all too easy to justify a purchase like this with "oh but it's a great deal and you know, I might get this new job, and well gas prices are coming down, and..." So I like to set some kind of barrier (getting the new job) so I don't just impulse buy a $9k motorcycle.
Last edited by jmazza on Mon Aug 18, 2008 1:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
MikieTaps

Post by MikieTaps »

yeah, i dont think she would actually let me get rid of the buddy... she loves it as much as I do! :D
Milehibuddy

Post by Milehibuddy »

Tell your Buddy you are going to miss her, :cry:
OOPS, I meant your girlfriend :rofl:
skullmechanic

Post by skullmechanic »

First, $9K is not that great of a price according to my friends at Bear River Yamaha. The MSRP is $9199, of course this is not an "out the door' price. They are knocking $200 off, waiving thier set up and blah, blah, blah fees (which are often padded, and do not represent actual cost) and eating the sales taxes.

The real issue is financial - how much debt do you have? how much debt do you want? I hate debt! What are your finacial goals? If you are sharing finances with your girlfriend, then I guess she has a say about how those finances are managed.

This is not an impulse buy...
"We're here, because we're not all there."
MikieTaps

Post by MikieTaps »

we are not sharing our expenses... except for splitting rent.

I know its not an impulse buy, otherwise I would have gotten it yesterday when I was there, because honestly, I AM pretty damn impulsive.... thats why I am slowing down and trying think this through get some opinions on it.

One of the big things I still have are Student Loans, which I would like to pay off sooner rather than later...

And another thing... I dont have a car... so no car payments, no car insurance, etc...

I paid cash for the Buddy, so that is taken care of. I would definately put down as much cash as possible, and finance as little as possible... and make over payments to get it paid off ASAP. I can justify carrying around Student Loan debt... its hard justifying $9,000 in Motorcycle debt.
skullmechanic

Post by skullmechanic »

Well, okay, "son," You have my permission. :wink: Keep the Buddy, get the Yamaha. See if they'll take less. If they have had that thing on the floor since 2006, believe me they want to get rid of it.

You could also shop around a bit to see what other deals there are out there.
"We're here, because we're not all there."
Lagerhead

Post by Lagerhead »

This may not apply to your specific situation, but it's been said many times (and I tend to agree) that,

It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast, than to ride a fast bike slow.

It's been my understanding that the Yamaha R6 / R1 's are the most "aggressively" engineered bikes in their class. They put up the big numbers and are very successful against their peers on the track but tend to be a little uncivilized (By comparison) when ridden below 9/10's.
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

If you are willing to pay 9k for a new bike out the door, why not get a aprillia mana 850 for 10k out the door? It has manual and automatic transmission and under seat storage in a crotch rocket shaped bike.
jim_0068

Post by jim_0068 »

This is the most important question and answer:

What is your riding experiencing with motorcycles? How many years/miles and what type of bikes?
Orange Guy

Post by Orange Guy »

Can we call you skin crayon?
I suppose I should be upset, even feel violated, but I'm not. No, in fact, I think this is a friendly message, like "Hey, wanna play?" and yes I want to play. I really really do.

Orange Guy, Inc.
MikieTaps

Post by MikieTaps »

I dont really like aprilia, so no aprilia for me.

I have ridden dirt bikes, atvs, my buddy scooter, i used to race BMX and Single Track mountain biking... I know the biking doesnt really have anything to do with a MC but I have good balance on two wheels.

I know that the R6, and CBR 600RR etc... sport bikes are very aggressive. I respect the power they produce, and thats why I am looking at the 600 line and not the 1000cc guys.

I plan on using it on the track and taking lessons <--- track lessons.

I will prob also use it to commute to bellevue, about a 20 minute drive.
gt1000

Post by gt1000 »

I'm with DennisD, keep the scooter and add a bike if you really want a bike. They're very different tools for very different jobs. I have both and would really miss either if I had to give one up. That said, my two bikes have very different "reflexes" and it's very, very important to understand these differences and adapt to them. If I squeezed my Hyper's front brake lever with the same force as my Buddy's, I'd have a serious problem.

I personally would not choose a sport bike with body work as my first street bike, but that's me. You're already here at MB so you're obviously smart enough to check out other bike forums and weigh some of the opinions at those places before you buy. One of the most hotly debated subjects is what makes a good 1st bike. A 600cc sport bike is quite different than a 600 twin, so it will take an extremely disciplined right wrist to avoid pucker moments. Ultimately though, if you want a bike, you should buy the one that inspires passion. An R6 does nothing for me but if it gets your juices flowing, that's all that counts.

The only real "advice" I'd give you is don't buy the first bike you see. Test ride everything you can manage to test ride before making a decision. If the dealership doesn't offer test rides, walk away. Make sure the bike "fits" you and that you're comfortable on it. I mean, if you're serious about making this move, you might as well enjoy the shopping experience and ride lots of different bikes. You never know what you might discover.
Andy

2006 Buddy 125 (orange), going to a good MB home
2009 Vespa 250 GTS (black)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800 (black)
2008 Ducati Hypermotard S, traded for Tiger 800
newslinky

Post by newslinky »

Im siding with the take your time and set a barrier to get past before going forward. The getting teh job is a good one. After you get a cycle give it time then make the decision about the Buddy. Regrets always suck
Proud owner of a Buddy St. Tropez 150
runtotorun121

Post by runtotorun121 »

I find it interesting that so far you have no sell-the-Buddy votes!

Well I have the only scooter in our garage, but we have two motorcycles, and my husband has loved riding my scooter and mentioned getting another one. I know he would never want to be motorcycle-less. They are similar but different riding experiences.

Let us know what you decide! :)
~Celebrate~
jim_0068

Post by jim_0068 »

MikieTaps wrote:I dont really like aprilia, so no aprilia for me.

I have ridden dirt bikes, atvs, my buddy scooter, i used to race BMX and Single Track mountain biking... I know the biking doesnt really have anything to do with a MC but I have good balance on two wheels.

I know that the R6, and CBR 600RR etc... sport bikes are very aggressive. I respect the power they produce, and thats why I am looking at the 600 line and not the 1000cc guys.

I mean this with all due respect but you are not ready for a bike like that. Whether its 600cc or 1000cc it doesn't matter. What people like you don't understand is that it doesn't matter whether you plan on respecting the limits of the bike or not. It has to with rider skill. Your previous and current riding experience will have no impact on a bike like that and even though you plan on taking track lessons, to learn on a 600ss that is difficult to ride (properly) will simply stump your learning curve as a GOOD rider.

A couple easy examples are that the r6 has less throttle travel than your buddy and about 10x the power. Do u have the throttle control to handle that when you hit a pot hole? Probably not; i can tell you countless stories of beginner riders on 600ss type bikes who hit a pothole and accidently grab a bunch of throttle and lose control and go down. Also, have you ever ridden a bike with clip-on handlebars? They are nothing like a scooter or an ATM or dirt bike, the ratio of steering input to actual bike input is huge compared to any type of normal motorcycle. It would better serve you to get a bike that is much more FORGIVING to learn on and then move to a SS bike. You should go over to sportbikes.net and read up in the new rider forum. A lot if them will tell you to start on a 250 but that isn't necessary as there are other more powerful beginner bikes, however a super sport is a very unwise decision for your first bike. I've said my piece and leave you to your decision but just realize that those bikes are basically "race ready" off the showroom floor. I remember reading a story about someone buying a stock SS type bike off the showroom floor, making some minor mods to the suspension and tires and making the necessary body modifications for it to be track legal and doing extremely well sanctioned races with a bone stock motor.

If you really want a cool looking first bike and must have one that has fairings, a SV650 with the full fairings will look very SS-ish but is still a decent beginner bike. Don't become another statistic, i can't count on my hands anymore the number of people who i know who have died and or severely injured themselves because they took a similar path as you.

Sorry to be all "doom and gloom" but i'm just telling you like it is and hope that you will at least think about some of the things i wrote.
MikieTaps

Post by MikieTaps »

Thanks for all your prompt input so far. I am taking it all in and thinking about everything that has been brought up so far. I don't think I can part with my buddy, it is just too perfect for city riding...

Jim, thank you for your doom and gloom replies, I need to hear that stuff from someone and you actually sound inteligent versus most people that just say, anything with two wheels is dangerous. You bring up some great points that I will consider. Keep up the responses guys and gals!

I am enjoying the shopping process, especially your input!
Campbell990

Post by Campbell990 »

I gave up a a cherry 68 mustang two years ago because I had no place to store it when I moved across the country to be with my fiance while she is in school and just recently she broke it off. Not a day has gone by since I got rid of that car that I don't regret it and she just randomly broke off our engagement. So the moral of the story is don't give up something you love for someone else... cause the scooter will most likely be there, but what happens when you and your girlfriend get in a fight/ or you breakup...

Sorry for the downer, Keep Both :D
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

runtotorun121 wrote:I find it interesting that so far you have no sell-the-Buddy votes!
I voted he should get rid of it!!

I think that the most logical thing would be to keep both because they will serve different purposes, but I stand by my assessment that this is MikieTaps and he wants to go fast.

His poor Buddy, even being red and fastest and modded, will just sit there in the corner like a scorned lover, weeping over and over again, "I gave you the best I had! I let you break me in! You were my first!!!"

Meanwhile, Mikie will pretend not to hear the Buddy over the roar of his sport bike's motor.

Oh, and I second the comments about Andy and Jim's replies- great information here that's helpful to anyone thinking about a MC.
MikieTaps

Post by MikieTaps »

i am suprised... there are alot of you that want me to get rid of the girl! :shock:
gt1000

Post by gt1000 »

I mean this with all due respect but you are not ready for a bike like that. Whether its 600cc or 1000cc it doesn't matter. What people like you don't understand is that it doesn't matter whether you plan on respecting the limits of the bike or not. It has to with rider skill. Your previous and current riding experience will have no impact on a bike like that and even though you plan on taking track lessons, to learn on a 600ss that is difficult to ride (properly) will simply stump your learning curve as a GOOD rider.
Mikie, if I actually knew you this is probably the way I would've initially made my point. Jim did a nice job of writing this because, very often, replies like this to those "is this a good 1st bike" posts turn ugly. This is what I was talking about when I mentioned a disciplined right wrist. All bikes are not created equal and some have enormous capabilities. Typically, the capabilities that doom beginners are connected to the throttle and brakes. I haven't checked the stats lately but I'm pretty sure a stock R-6 will run rings around my 1100cc Ducati, both riders being equal. And my Duc is no slouch, easily capable of sub 4 second zero to 60 times, ridiculous cornering angles and insanely short stopping distances. Anyway, I've learned through experience to not make statements like Jim's if I don't personally know the person they're directed to. Enough said.

I'll bring up a few other points and then I'm done. First, a sport bike is a crappy commuter bike. Rear set pegs, low clip on bars and a skimpy saddle make for tough going on the highway and especially in traffic. This is why I said to test ride the bikes first. An R-6 is made for canyon carving and track days, you'll be constantly fighting gravity to keep your head up and the weight off your wrists. Anyway, if you talk to 10 different riders about "starter" bikes, you'll likely get 10 different answers. I would suggest you find a nice used single or twin cylinder in the 400-800 cc range. If you indeed love riding, you'll find you love your big bike but ride your scooter far more often.

Finally, taking out a loan for what is essentially a toy is always a bad idea. Only you know your financial situation but I can tell you all bikes are money pits. A 2006 R-6 has already depreciated significantly and it'll do so even more the minute you ride it off the showroom floor. If it's daily transportation, a loan can be rationalized and defended.

For some folks, an R6 is daily transportation. For me? No way in hell.
Andy

2006 Buddy 125 (orange), going to a good MB home
2009 Vespa 250 GTS (black)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800 (black)
2008 Ducati Hypermotard S, traded for Tiger 800
DennisD

Post by DennisD »

One thing you will find out quickly if you sell the Bud is what a mistake it was. No matter where you live, nothing beats a scooter for general running around errands and plain fun. Get the motorcycle, ride it and ignore the Bud in the corner if you don't sell it. Sooner or later you will return to it because the MC is a pain to deal with at times.

I reallyreallyreallyreallyreally want a Triumph Street Triple. Reallyreallyreally.

The SV650 is a good starter, but you can find a Ninja 250 pretty cheap and learn on it. Gradually move up. Buy a "pre-dropped" one with skinned plastic and you'll save a ton and you won't feel bad the first time you drop it. Yeah, I know, won't happen. :mrgreen:
ScootingInTheRain
Location: Just North of Seattle, Just South of Mulletsylvania

Post by ScootingInTheRain »

MikieTaps wrote:I dont really like aprilia, so no aprilia for me.

My brother does track sessions on his daily driver Ducati GT1000...

http://s110.photobucket.com/albums/n85/ ... re0001.jpg

He also takes advanced riding courses like "total control" etc.

Looks like fun. Do they have Scooter track sessions?

:)
MikieTaps

Post by MikieTaps »

ScootingInTheRain wrote: He also takes advanced riding courses like "total control" etc.

Looks like fun. Do they have Scooter track sessions?

:)
Yeah I remember you telling me about this when we had that beer at Mainstage... That is exactly what I am talking about, and I think track sessions would be really really fun on scooters... maybe we can organize something at one of the big indoor kart tracks around here :D
MarkTur

Post by MarkTur »

Mike,
You're obviously pushing your Buddy to it's limits, which in reality is as unsafe as riding a bike you can't handle....so I (as a non MC rider) suggest that at the least you find a new home for your buddy, and step up (just a step) to a smaller Motorcycle or larger scoot first.

If it's the racing thing in your blood, then I can pass on something from when I raced RC Cars on the state-level...and yes, I understand there's a difference between toys and real vehicles, but this principle is still valid:

Get a SMALL racing bike. Race and compete in "stock" classes - ie. where driving skill is much more important than speed in a straight line. You would be amazed to find out how much fun it is to race, whether you're racing wheel chairs, cars, bicycles, motorcycles, scooters, etc. *if* everyone is using the same equipment. Trust me, it's a BLAST, and it's about skill, not speed.

If you're all about impressing someone going from 0-60 in a straight line, yeah, get a rice-rocket...and go in a straight line on a TRACK - put it on a trailer, and transport it to and from the track. (I still want to be on record as saying that's kind of crazy, though)

If you're really just looking for a step up from the Buddy, to something that is "highway legal". I'm SURE a 250cc scoot, or 400-size MC will still easily give you a "woody" when you twist the throttle, and you'll be in much better control.

There's deals on used bikes for sure. No need to put yourself in debt for a "stepping stone" to the big bike you really want. Get something you can afford without financing, and something you don't mind taking a small "hit" on when it's time to sell and upgrade to the next level. You will enjoy the ride much better, I think, with the financial and macho pressures that come with a big racing bike.

That's my $0.02 - hope I helped a little...

PS. I hope your new bike is RED! :)
Cya!
Mark Turkel
http://www.PalmBeachSoftware.com
http://www.BeGreenSaveTheWorld.com

Genuine Buddy 125cc
Powder Blue - (Yes, I picked "that" color cause I likes it!)

Like someone else said "Saving Gas and Sticking it to the Man!"
MikieTaps

Post by MikieTaps »

MarkTur wrote: PS. I hope your new bike is RED! :)
I was thinking about how sweet it would look with a Red Bike next to my Buddy in my garage. :D

Thanks for your other input also!
MPA

Post by MPA »

Get the R6. BTW what color is it? I have a hard on for the 50th Anniv paint scheme.

There's a place in Tennessee that sells new R6s ('08s) for $8294 - would be worth it to buy it and ship it since they got some upgrades in 08, and you're not buying what is basically a 3 year old bike.

http://www.abernathycycles.com/new_vehi ... lYear=2008
MikieTaps

Post by MikieTaps »

MPA wrote:Get the R6.

There's a place in Tennessee that sells new R6s ('08s) for $8294 - would be worth it to buy it and ship it since they got some upgrades in 08, and you're not buying what is basically a 3 year old bike.

http://www.abernathycycles.com/new_vehi ... lYear=2008
holy crap! $8200! :shock:
MPA

Post by MPA »

I know :D

I'm torn - over the winter I either want to get another scooter, or an R6. I really want an R6 but I only have a shed to store it in and it's a PITA even getting the scooter out.

Edit: Check out the pre-owned too - they have a used 08 w/ 1500 miles on it for $7200 but based on the paint (not factory) I'm assuming it would've been down.
olhogrider

Post by olhogrider »

Check out craigslist. Don't eliminate salvage title bikes. The process is tough, but if someone has already done it, you can get a lot of performance for your $$. Many, if not most, sportbikes will be crashed. I got both my Ducatis for about half price this way. The repairs had been made before I got them. You could not tell the difference unless you looked at the title. Also, for commuting I think a cruiser style is way more comfortable. When you are throwing sparks off a cruiser, you will be going faster than 90% of the sportbike posers anyway. Keep the Buddy.
jim_0068

Post by jim_0068 »

gt1000 wrote: Anyway, I've learned through experience to not make statements like Jim's if I don't personally know the person they're directed to. Enough said.
You know i usually take the same attitude and that is why i asked for his rider resume; imo someone with a resume like that to jump right on a R6 is a bad choice. I bet maybe 1 in 50 would simply luck out to have the skill to ride it right and the rest will probably either sell it from fear or ride it very benign because they don't know how to ride it well.

I'd also like to state that i know plenty of people who have bought and started out on bikes like an R6 and now that they have a few years of riding and experience almost everyone of them look back and say, "if i could do it over, i wouldn't have started on this." Some haven't but they are also the ones who are a little more reckless than the rest of us lol
MikieTaps

Post by MikieTaps »

jim,

what is your riding experience, what did you start on, how did you learn, what do you ride now etc? also what would you change about the way you learned to ride? :)
rickko

Post by rickko »

Take advantage of the 'scooter boom' and sell the Buddy now! Buy the R6 at a great price now.

When the 'boom' is over, buy a used Buddy at a price lower than you sold yours today. That would maximize your investment. Then you'd end up with best of both worlds.

Good luck!
..rickko..
Ride it like you enjoy it!
MB member #2568
chokepuppy

Post by chokepuppy »

I vote both if you can swing it. if not ditch the buddy do to the freeway comute. Right now a sportbike is the only thing missing in my garage. Sold my last on a year ago. I can't even compare them because they're so different. I love the lazy factor of a scoot. holding a cup of coffee and cruzing is hard to beat. But I'm a kneedraging stunter at heart. My wife put her foot down about the cbr after my last street lowside and said if I wasn't going to race it I couldn't have one. She doesn't want me on the streets. I have a w650, very triumphy bike. Love it. But my heart is with the sportbike. Scooting is kinda like cropdusting is to the pilot its the rawest form of motorbike thrill. So i'll always have both.... BTW riding and racing since I was 8 (1970) Just my 2cents. good luck. You win whatever you do..... :lol: RICKKO has a good point.....
Jake

Post by Jake »

I miss my rocket sometimes, but I have to be honest, I wouldn't get another one for more than a toy. If I was actually going to get an MC to commute on, I'd probably get something that sits a little more upright and has a more comfortable seat. That's just me, though.

Plus, if you're scraping pegs on the street on an r6, you're asking for trouble. In a couple ways.
olhogrider

Post by olhogrider »

chokepuppy wrote: I have a w650, very triumphy bike. Love it. But my heart is with the sportbike.
I love that bike! If they still made it I would seriously consider it. Like the GB500 Honda, they only made them for a short time and now they are collector items.
chokepuppy

Post by chokepuppy »

I love it too.. thats what I'm comuting on .... COOL COOL bike. I think it was a little ahead of the retro bike boom, thats why it didn't do well
DennisD

Post by DennisD »

Lots of Triumph riders really like the W650. Its a great bike.
MikieTaps

Post by MikieTaps »

Jake wrote: Plus, if you're scraping pegs on the street on an r6, you're asking for trouble. In a couple ways.
yeah I have exactly ZERO plans of grinding my pegs on a sportbike on the street! :shock:
MPA

Post by MPA »

W650 is another bike I like. Probably more along the lines of what I should look for if I get a bike.

I think I really want another SV650 though - I was drooling over those R6s and then looking through some pics I had and saw the pic of my old '03 SV. Not as fast as an R6 (down ~30hp) but it had as much torque as the 600s, sounded awesome w/ just a debaffled stock muffler, and no fairings really limited my top end runs :D I saw 120 on it once and aside from my helmet buffeting like mad and me hanging on, it was rock solid :lol: And tastefully modded - only thing I sold before putting on the bike was a carbon fiber front fender ;) It just needed some Pilot Powers

lol sorry to whore and go OT a tad but reminiscing makes me sad for selling it so short after buying it. I think the next one will be an 04+ since they went to black frames/wheels. So cool, I just decided - this post helped me more then therapy and I did a great job convincing myself lol. So looks like a 04+ naked SV over the winter for me - thankfully I don't have to deal with that gravel parking spot anymore :D Anyone want to buy a Rattler? ;)

nissanman

Post by nissanman »

If your experience was with dirt bikes etc you'd probably feel more comfortable on a naked style bike. A cruiser feels weird with the feet in front of you and a sport bike feels completely different as far as steering input compared to what you're used to. Nakeds go from SV650s to BMWF650 to KTM Duke(s) to Ducati Hypermotards. Lots of different bikes and a majority stay below the $10k mark. Just my .02

I went from a YZF600 (1yr before the R6 was out) to a BMW1150R to my Rattler110. Always helps to know what someone has ridden along with their opinion. Also rode my friend's CBR959RR, V-Rod, RFR600, Honda 929 and R1.
EZPZ #65
sunshinen

Post by sunshinen »

Well, it seems like such a waste of materials to have only one rider for 2 vehicles... unless you can get a friend (the girlfriend?) to ride the spare one with you.

So my vote (since you need a highway vehicle), is to upgrade and pass the Buddy on to so someone else.

A) There's a shortage of Buddies available.
B) The more 2-wheelers out there, the more people get used to watching out for us.
C) From an economic/energy/national security/environmental perspective 8), the more people riding, the better for all of us.
D) Spread the love. :bat: Get someone else hooked on riding.

More 2-wheelers on the road, not another one stagnating in someone's garage. :D
sunshinen

Post by sunshinen »

jim_0068 wrote:
What people like you
:P

Personally, I find this little phrase a big turn off.

Tone, unfortunately, can sabotage all kinds of good intent. More concrete examples (and less lecturing) can go a long way in terms of actually influencing people's decisions, rather than putting people on the defensive. Obviously, being told "you're not ready" has much less power and influence than being shown something that makes you realize that for yourself. Just my 2 cents.
Racenut

Post by Racenut »

The SV650 keeps calling my name. When it's time, I think that will be my bike.
DennisD

Post by DennisD »

SV650 is a nice bike but this is the one that I lust for.

http://www.triumph675.net/images/Street ... 80_000.jpg
MPA

Post by MPA »

Yeah those triples are hot :twisted: