Watch out for livestock, deer, & bears....?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

addictionriot

Watch out for livestock, deer, & bears....?

Post by addictionriot »

I dont know about your motorcycle hand book but mine never said anything about bears.

I was on my way to work on my scooter and about fifty feet in front of me this big black fuzzy thing walks into the road. A cute fluffy dog? No.. A black bear. I make a dead stop. So does he. Crap... He looks at me. Thoughts of When Animals Attack flash through my head. Then continues across the street, like he couldnt care less..

I can deal with random cow crossings, even spastic bambi.. but a black bear? Come on.. :shock:
runtotorun121

Post by runtotorun121 »

Oh my! :shock:

That must have been some experience. :) Now that it has been a little bit of time since you met do you think it is way cool?!
~Celebrate~
addictionriot

Post by addictionriot »

Actually yes, I wish I had my camera, his fur was so beautiful and he had a huge nose :)
loodieboy

Post by loodieboy »

Oh, good omen! Strength and protection.
Clearly.
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

ATGATT. heh.
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
kneil67@yahoo.com

Post by kneil67@yahoo.com »

yeah animals went for a ride through the cemetary a few nights ago and my head light spooked like six deer which ran right in front of me almost peed my self love ta cruize bone yards
armacham

Post by armacham »

illnoise wrote:ATGATT. heh.

:?: :?: :?:
louie

Post by louie »

i was on a ride with 2 others, me in the middle. the girl in front had a deer run right in front of her. i say it coming but she didn't see it until it was at the road side. no worrys though but she was shaken for a while.
did i ever tell you about the guy who had his arm stabbed by a deer antler when he hit it on his ducati? he didn't far so well but i he got to keep his arm.
djelliott

Post by djelliott »

Bears don't like load noises. If he held his ground I'm sure the Stebel on your Italia would have sent him on his way. Our caused him to charge you sparking the headline "Scooterist Mauled By Annoyed Black Bear" :P .

Dustin
Prima pipe
UNI filter
125 Main Jet
2000RPM Stall Spring
1500RPM Clutch Springs
Dr. Pulley Variator with 11 Gram Sliders
NCY Front Forks
Prima/NCY 161cc Big Bore kit With 150 Head
KS Power GY6 Performance Springs
NCY Secondary Shieve
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

If I was a bear, I would destroy all Stebels. And then I would put on a lumberjack shirt and suspenders and hang out on Halsted.

Bb.
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
jaded

Post by jaded »

America's biggest threat: bears

Bears are godless killing machines.

ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

I would see the occasional coyote when I rode through Griffith Park on my commute. My wife started emailing me stories of every coyote attack in the area, then she threw in any involving the park's mountain lion population too.

She didn't seem comforted when I told her there was no way a coyote could catch me. Those rocket boots never work.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
verdecalavera

Post by verdecalavera »

Several years ago, a deer hit me on a two lane highway. i say hit me because i swerved until i almost went off the road. As i cut back, it bucked and ran straight into the drivers side window of my car. The window shattered. The side mirror was destroyed. I was left with another 30 miles to go in january's frigid air with no window.

A similar situation also happened on I-20 coming from Atlanta to Birmingham at about 2:30 in the morning about a year ago. A deer walked up to the edge of the interstate. I saw it from afar. Then it just walked onto the road in my lane. I swerved and screamed in an octave range typically reserved for opera singers. I don't know how the car didn't roll. I think because our golf has such a low center of gravity. Both situations happened so fast. If a similar thing happened while on me scooter, I'd have called it a nice life and moved on.

I love wildlife that is outside of my lane.
fhujay

Post by fhujay »

jaded wrote:America's biggest threat: bears

Bears are godless killing machines.

I was wondering who would be the first cool person to quote Colbert.

Congrats.
hcstrider

Re: Watch out for livestock, deer, & bears....?

Post by hcstrider »

addictionriot wrote:I dont know about your motorcycle hand book but mine never said anything about bears...
That is a great story. I had a similar bear encounter a few months ago and I am debating whether I handled the situation properly. I noticed that a rider on a Harley who was ahead of me appeared to be warning me about some hazard in the road because the rider on the Harley was flashing his brakes and he was repeatedly standing up and sitting down in the seat as he slowed his Harley down and came to a stop. I interpreted the Harley rider’s actions as a warning so I radioed back to my wife who was behind me on her Buddy that we were slowing down. As I slowed down I noticed a black bear by the side of the road and I decided to ride slowly past it. I did this for 2 reasons:

1 – The Harley rider had already passed the bear and was stopped by the side of the road. I did not want to stop in front of the bear because the bear would be sandwiched between me and the Harley rider and the bear might feel threatened by having motorcycles/scooters both in front of it and behind it.

2 – I wanted the front of my Buddy facing away from the bear rather than facing towards the bear just in case I needed to make a quick escape.

My wife had the closest encounter with this bear because the bear decided to cross the road at the same time that she slowly approached so her forward momentum carried her within about 6 feet of the bear.

We all watched the bear slowly amble across the road and it seemed unconcerned about our presence, I am guessing that this bear has had a lot of encounters with people.

This was actually the second bear that I had seen that day. The first bear was also by the side of the road but when it saw my Buddy approaching, the first bear ran into the woods. I will be camping in that same area next month and since there is a large bear population it is very likely that we will encounter another bear while riding our Buddys. I have not read any recommendations on how to handle the Buddy meets bear encounters but I would be open to suggestions on how to handle these situations.
Wayne
The safest rule, no ifs or buts
Just drive like everyone else is nuts! (Burma Shave)
addictionriot

Post by addictionriot »

djelliott wrote:Bears don't like load noises. If he held his ground I'm sure the Stebel on your Italia would have sent him on his way. Our caused him to charge you sparking the headline "Scooterist Mauled By Annoyed Black Bear" :P .

Dustin
That makes me feel so much better... :?
scoots4me

Post by scoots4me »

Um, wow. Addictionriot, did you have to change your pants later on? I would have needed to... :lol:
*** scootie scoot scoot ***
newslinky

Post by newslinky »

addictionriot wrote:
djelliott wrote:Bears don't like load noises. If he held his ground I'm sure the Stebel on your Italia would have sent him on his way. Our caused him to charge you sparking the headline "Scooterist Mauled By Annoyed Black Bear" :P .

Dustin
Yeah but if it had happened I feel positive you would have been featured on Colbert! :lol:
Proud owner of a Buddy St. Tropez 150
addictionriot

Post by addictionriot »

newslinky wrote:
addictionriot wrote:

Dustin
Yeah but if it had happened I feel positive you would have been featured on Colbert! :lol:
I would so get attacked by a bear if I could be on Colbert 8)