Stella Mods: Dual, Locking Helmet Hook.

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Eazy

Stella Mods: Dual, Locking Helmet Hook.

Post by Eazy »

Since my Stella is out of commission for a while I figured I would do some write ups on little mods to enhance your Stella.

Wondered if there's a more secure way to leave your helmet on your bike? Not enough room on the "grocery hook" for you and your significant others helmets?

Problem solved my friends.

1. The useless and absolutely security free "grocery hook" that Genuine expects you to leave your helmet on.

2. The solution, Piaggio part no. 219857

3. Tools required: 13mm socket and a socket wrench. I recommend either an extension or a deep well socket.

4. The unsuspecting victim.

5. Remove the front most bolt.

6. Note the two locking washers. Why two? I don't know.

7. Mock-up

8. Replace bolt with only one washer. If you use two there will be a large gap between the bottom of your seat and the top of the tank.

9. Success!

10. You will notice when you drop your seat there will still be a small gap.
It is caused by the rear most screws holding the seat to the bracket.
This is fine. the seat will just take a push to latch from now on. I have found that it makes the seat easier to open. If it really bugs you take a dremel to the rear most screws, it is seriously a 1/4" that needs to be removed.

11. Wala! A secure place for you and someone else's helmet. Similar to the style on a lot of the Japanese bikes.

11. Final step. Kick back and enjoy a cold one in honor of your efforts.
Last edited by Eazy on Sat Aug 23, 2008 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Ian Follow Me
'08 Genuine Stella - "totaled"
'06 Honda Elite 80 - "bullet proof"
Eazy Scoots.
AxeYrCat

Post by AxeYrCat »

Funny, I just did this this morning, and I was thinking that it'd be fantastic if someone put a well-documented, thorough writeup online so that people could see how insanely simple it is.

It literally took me two minutes from the time I walked over to my toolbox to the time I closed it after I was done.

Perhaps of note: My '03 only had one washer, and it was not a lock washer. My screws don't hit the helmet hook bracket at all.

Thanks for a great post!
Huh? What just happened?
alienmeatsack

Post by alienmeatsack »

I did a simple pictorial how-to for this over on StellaSpeed recently myself. It was insanely simple!

The hardest part for me was remembering that I have a helmet hook to use now! :D
Dead Bunny SC | Tumblr: spazscooter | Twitter: @SPAZ_Scooter | Twitter: @DeadBunnySC
email: spazscooter@gmail.com
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

alienmeatsack wrote:I did a simple pictorial how-to for this over on StellaSpeed recently myself.
where?! :)
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
alienmeatsack

Post by alienmeatsack »

Uhm I meant over on knittersandneedles.com? :D

;p
Dead Bunny SC | Tumblr: spazscooter | Twitter: @SPAZ_Scooter | Twitter: @DeadBunnySC
email: spazscooter@gmail.com
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

bump

I have been missing the under seat helmet hook that my Rattler had when I stumbled across these vespa hooks mentioned on StellaSpeed.com
Then I found this thread on MB

I am going to get one but I dont want to pay $10 shipping for a $9 part from ScooterWest.com

Anyone know of a source with cheaper shipping? (like USPS?)
Silver Streak

Post by Silver Streak »

I installed one of these within a week of getting my Stella 4T. Not having a secure place available to put your helmet is unacceptable in my book.
Dave

www.glyphukulele.com

"You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice."
desmolicious

Post by desmolicious »

Great! Had no idea this existed. Gonna get one for my Stella and my PX.
Blackshirt

Post by Blackshirt »

Is there no nut on the back of the bolt that you took out? :?:
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

Blackshirt wrote:Is there no nut on the back of the bolt that you took out? :?:
I am 90% sure the nut is mounted (welded?) on the inside
Blackshirt

Post by Blackshirt »

ScootLemont wrote:
Blackshirt wrote:Is there no nut on the back of the bolt that you took out? :?:
I am 90% sure the nut is mounted (welded?) on the inside
Nutplates are the greatest invention ever.... until they break. And then they're a pain in the behind.
loodieboy

Post by loodieboy »

I just hang my helmet from the cowl release lever.
Clearly.
Silver Streak

Post by Silver Streak »

loodieboy wrote:I just hang my helmet from the cowl release lever.
That works with some helmets, but not mine. My Nexx helmet doesn't have traditional "D" rings; the openings on the strap attachment hardware are very narrow and will not fit over the cowl release levers.
Dave

www.glyphukulele.com

"You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice."
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Silver Streak wrote:
loodieboy wrote:I just hang my helmet from the cowl release lever.
That works with some helmets, but not mine. My Nexx helmet doesn't have traditional "D" rings; the openings on the strap attachment hardware are very narrow and will not fit over the cowl release levers.
With my old Nolan that had a ratcheting closure, I could simply put the big end of the mechanism under the seat, hold it, then close the seat.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Silver Streak

Post by Silver Streak »

Yeah, that's what I did until I installed the hook, but the helmet hangs kinda low that way. The hook is more elegant and secure, and you can reliably hang the helmet shell-side out in case it might rain.
Dave

www.glyphukulele.com

Blackshirt

Post by Blackshirt »

That took all of about 3 minute to do last night. Why dealers don't just go ahead and install this before it leaves the showroom is beyond me.
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

Blackshirt wrote:That took all of about 3 minute to do last night. Why dealers don't just go ahead and install this before it leaves the showroom is beyond me.
So that nut is mounted right?
Silver Streak

Post by Silver Streak »

What nut? There are no nuts involved... only one bolt.
Dave

www.glyphukulele.com

ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

Silver Streak wrote:What nut? There are no nuts involved... only one bolt.
The bolt goes into a nut and I believe that is mounted so you don't have to worry about dropping it...... just wanted to make sure
Silver Streak

Post by Silver Streak »

Well, it goes into a threaded "something" welded inside the sheet metal. Don't know whether it is a conventional nut, or just one hole in a larger steel plate that accommodates all three hinge bolts. No worries. Easiest mod ever.
Dave

www.glyphukulele.com

desmolicious

Post by desmolicious »

Question about the helmet hook before I order. With the seat locked down, is it possible to pull on the edge of the seat and expose a large enough gap to be able to remove the helmet?

Thanks!
Silver Streak

Post by Silver Streak »

Not with the way mine fits. The hook is pretty deep.

There could be some variability from one installation to the next, though. I'd think the hook assembly could be bent fairly easily to compensate for any sloppiness in the seat fit.

Mine works like a charm, and I have no lifting of the seat from the installation requiring pushing down on the seat to latch it, as the OP reports.
Dave

www.glyphukulele.com

Blackshirt

Post by Blackshirt »

ScootLemont wrote:
Blackshirt wrote:That took all of about 3 minute to do last night. Why dealers don't just go ahead and install this before it leaves the showroom is beyond me.
So that nut is mounted right?
Yeah, the nutplate holds it just fine. I did place that second washer between the frame and the bracket, though. No problems.
rondothemidget

Helmet Hook

Post by rondothemidget »

If someone is compiling a list of P200 parts that will NOT fit on a Stella 4T, add the locking helmet hook to the list. The two holes are about a 1/4" wider on the P200 part so they don't line up with the two Stella holes.Image
Silver Streak

Re: Helmet Hook

Post by Silver Streak »

rondothemidget wrote:If someone is compiling a list of P200 parts that will NOT fit on a Stella 4T, add the locking helmet hook to the list. The two holes are about a 1/4" wider on the P200 part so they don't line up with the two Stella holes.Image
It fit perfectly on my 4T Stella... took all of a minute or two to install.

The dual helmet hook is a heavy sheet metal stamping that has a few bends in it. My guess is that the quality control on the forming of the bends isn't super good, making the spacing between the holes a little bit variable. A few seconds with a vise and a rubber mallet should take care of that.
Dave

www.glyphukulele.com

desmolicious

Post by desmolicious »

desmolicious wrote:Great! Had no idea this existed. Gonna get one for my Stella and my PX.
Just saw my PX already has one! Never paid attention to it before as I always carry my helmet with me after someone CUT my helmet strap and stole my helmet a few years ago. In Beverly Hills...
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

desmolicious wrote:
desmolicious wrote:Great! Had no idea this existed. Gonna get one for my Stella and my PX.
Just saw my PX already has one! Never paid attention to it before as I always carry my helmet with me after someone CUT my helmet strap and stole my helmet a few years ago. In Beverly Hills...
There goes my, "Well, it's not like they're going to cut the strap and ruin the helmet!" theory. Wonder if the intent is more vandalism/criminal mischief than theft. Not that it matters.
desmolicious

Post by desmolicious »

ericalm wrote:
desmolicious wrote:
There goes my, "Well, it's not like they're going to cut the strap and ruin the helmet!" theory. Wonder if the intent is more vandalism/criminal mischief than theft. Not that it matters.
Nope, it wasn't vandalism. It happened in the Beverly Center, and they were nice enough to leave a nasty beat up helmet on my bike in its place.
I guess because we have a helmet law and they didn't want to totally screw me..
I'm thinking they were just going to stich a new strap in there.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

desmolicious wrote:
ericalm wrote:
desmolicious wrote: Just saw my PX already has one! Never paid attention to it before as I always carry my helmet with me after someone CUT my helmet strap and stole my helmet a few years ago. In Beverly Hills...
Nope, it wasn't vandalism. It happened in the Beverly Center, and they were nice enough to leave a nasty beat up helmet on my bike in its place.
I guess because we have a helmet law and they didn't want to totally screw me..
I'm thinking they were just going to stich a new strap in there.
Wow! Well, at least they left something. Very considerate for thieves.
rondothemidget

Post by rondothemidget »

The dual helmet hook is a heavy sheet metal stamping that has a few bends in it. My guess is that the quality control on the forming of the bends isn't super good, making the spacing between the holes a little bit variable. A few seconds with a vise and a rubber mallet should take care of that.
This wasn't the dual helmet hook that is bolted under the seat. This was the bag hook that is above the reserve lever. And we also tried the official Vespa P200 dual hook and it didn't line up right either.
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

I took me a few days but I found a decent price with shipping

http://www.scootermercato.com/Scooter-P ... e_2/219857

$6.25 for the part
$5.25 for priority mail
$11.50 total

Mine has shipped & should be here in a couple days
Silver Streak

Post by Silver Streak »

rondothemidget wrote:

This wasn't the dual helmet hook that is bolted under the seat. This was the bag hook that is above the reserve lever. And we also tried the official Vespa P200 dual hook and it didn't line up right either.
Ahh! I was wondering what that little picture was of. Now I get it.
Dave

www.glyphukulele.com

desmolicious

Re: Stella Mods: Dual, Locking Helmet Hook.

Post by desmolicious »

Eazy wrote: Note the two locking washers. Why two? I don't know.

8. Replace bolt with only one washer. If you use two there will be a large gap between the bottom of your seat and the top of the tank.

10. You will notice when you drop your seat there will still be a small gap.
It is caused by the rear most screws holding the seat to the bracket.
This is fine. the seat will just take a push to latch from now on. I have found that it makes the seat easier to open. If it really bugs you take a dremel to the rear most screws, it is seriously a 1/4" that needs to be removed.
I added the bracket to my Stella this weekend.
Mine also had two washers, I removed one only using the locking one. Then, if you make sure the bracket is pulled as far back (towards the gas tank) as it goes, you will not have any seat closure or gap issues.

Doing this with mine allows the seat to close as easily as if the bracket was not there.