Scooter Photo Scavenger Hunt Week 13: Represent Your State

Scooter and Rally Pictures and Videos

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

Aug 22nd-28th

Yep – this is posted early – I have to be on-site for work Friday morning (& all day) so here ya go.

This week’s topic is based on a suggestions from Krustyburger & Howardr
– thanks!

Your scooter with YOUR state stuff!

2pts - Official State Tree (real tree – alive & hopefully growing)

2pts - Official State Flower or Plant (one or the other – must be alive & not fake)

2 pts - Official State Flag (on a flag pole is ok – but if you are holding it, please open it up so we can see it – no folded up flags that could be anything)

Only ONE bird type can be used (real, dead or fake, your choice)
5pts - Real & Alive Official State Bird
4 pts - Real but dead Official state bird (mounted by a taxidermist - road kill – etc.)
1pt - Fake Official state bird (stuffed, plastic, statue, toy, all that stuff is ok – no photos or drawings or paintings)
http://www.stateanimals.com/states.html

Only ONE animal type can be used (real, dead or fake your choice)
5 pts - Real & Alive Official State Animal
4 pts - Real but dead Official state animal (mounted by a taxidermist - road kill – etc.)
1 pt - Fake Official state animal (stuffed, plastic, statue, toy, all that stuff is ok – no photos or drawings or paintings)
http://www.stateanimals.com/states.html

Only ONE fish type can be used (real, dead or fake, your choice)
5pts - Real & Alive Official State fish
4 pts - Real but dead Official state fish (mounted by a taxidermist - road kill – etc.)
1pt - Fake Official state fish (stuffed, plastic, statue, toy, all that stuff is ok – no photos or drawings or paintings)

1 pt – (limit one) Official State Food or fruit or nut or vegetable or cookie or pie or doughnut or bean or muffin or mushroom or grain or dish – check this website to find out if it counts
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._state_fruit
This is ONE category – you can have more in your photo, but you only get points for ONE of these “food” items.

1 pt - Official State Beverage – your state dosent have an official state beverage? You are out of luck for living in a boring state – don’t complain, the Floridian people have to try to find a live panther – here is a list
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/State_beverage
If your state has more than one, you only get points for one.

5 points if you take you pic of all this stuff in front of a sign that contains your state’s name (any sign as long as we can clearly read it in the photo – a sign at University of Florida? – great. A sign at The Florida Bar & Grill – fine, Welcome to Florida sign – very cool.

1pt if you are in the photo (entire body & entire scooter)

1 pt for the first pic posted this week

Please post what your stuff is in the photo – if your official state tree is the White Oak & bird is the Cardinal, tell us that (it will be like a grade school book report & maybe we will learn something)

Questions? You know where to reach me.

PLEASE do your own math & include you point total with your submission!!!! (if you don’t include your points, you don’t get them)

General Rules for every week:
-A new photo subject added every Friday. Participants will have until the following Thursday to post their pic (taken that week)
-Only one photo may be submitted by each member for each week’s subject. (but if you get a better pic later in the week, PLEASE edit your original post note that you posted a better pic and note in the newer post that it is a replacement for a previous pic.
-Old photos you have lying around can NOT be used- they must be NEW photos taken the week the photo subject was posted
-10 BONUS POINTS (good anytime all summer) for a photo of you getting a ticket (photo must include your scooter & a cop writing the ticket) only one of these may be submitted per player. (Thanks to kazoo for the suggestion)
(Edit – you don’t have to be REALLY getting a ticket… if you can get a cop to pose like he/she is writing you a ticket, that is good enough)
-No Photoshop submissions
-Prize? Sure, if we can figure out a way to do that, but the real prize will be bragging rights & all the fun we all had all summer.

Scooter Photo Scavenger Hunt!
What is it? - Every Friday a new photo subject is posted in gallery forum & it will be your job to go get a photo of your scooter with that subject.

When is it? - It was started May 30th & hopefully will run it all summer, finishing up Labor Day weekend. That will give us 14 photos to get.
Who? - EVERYONE is encouraged to participate, the more players the better! Some subjects will be easy & some will be more difficult. Some might be impossible for some people but do your best & participate when you can. Don’t worry if you didn’t get in at the start... just jump in anytime!

If anyone has any suggestions for photo subjects or on how to make this more fun, please post up or PM me.

Here is a link to an index of the previous weeks as well as the weekly videos
http://www.timwall.com/hunt/

let me know if I messed up your points
Last edited by ScootLemont on Fri Aug 22, 2008 9:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

For you Californians, here's a little list of our state everything:
http://www.netstate.com/states/symb/ca_symb.htm
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

and a little help for the IL people
http://www.state.il.us/kids/learn/symbols/

A deer isnt going to be that hard (road kill) for IL people but a bear for the calif people?
good luck with that.
I cant wait to see one of the IL players dragging deer road kill to their state tree & covering its head with the state flag while holding a stuffed cardinal and a bluegill
Racenut

Post by Racenut »

So if I don't post a pic at all, you'll know that I caught a California Golden Trout, and found a Grizzly Bear to pose with.

In that case, please make donations in lieu of flowers to California Grizzly Indigestion Research Institute.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

I'm going to use a golden trout to lure a grizzly bear in front of a redwood surrounded by golden poppies and purple needlegrass. If I'm lucky, a Valley quail will swoop down right as the timer goes off and snaps a picture of me, glass of wine in one hand and the trout in the other, running from the bear.

Easy!
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Racenut wrote:So if I don't post a pic at all, you'll know that I caught a California Golden Trout, and found a Grizzly Bear to pose with.

In that case, please make donations in lieu of flowers to California Grizzly Indigestion Research Institute.
heh, great minds… Jinx!
KRUSTYburger

Post by KRUSTYburger »

Weird... I wonder why most of the state beverages are milk. Is that right? Anyways, I'm excited, I have a feeling this weeks gonna be crazy!!! :wink:
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

anyone from Alabama?
Whiskey, horses & wild turkey - there is a weekend to remember
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

ScootLemont wrote:Whiskey, horses & wild turkey - there is a weekend to remember
Or maybe a typical weekend.
brape

Post by brape »

ScootLemont wrote:anyone from Alabama?
Whiskey, horses & wild turkey - there is a weekend to remember
open the throttle not the bottle! :)
brape

Post by brape »

ooo and do cut flowers = alive?
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

brape wrote:ooo and do cut flowers = alive?
Yes
PasadenaSue

Post by PasadenaSue »

ScootLemont, this is a GREAT challenge this week! However even if I can't get the Grey Whale on the beach to pose with the Grizzly Bear, I will still take pictures with my scooter and as many of the items as I can - they just won't all be in one picture. I realize that only one photo counts, I just want the challenge of finding as many state symbols as possible.

And I never realized that the official state theater is the Pasadena Playhouse! :)

PasadenaSue
siobhan

Post by siobhan »

I guess there must be something wrong with my Legislature because we don't have some of these things...maybe that's because they're only a part-time legislature. I'll have to contact my rep and senator and ask them to get on picking a state food (New York System? Del's?) and state animal (quahog?).
Scutellosaurus

Post by Scutellosaurus »

ericalm wrote:
ScootLemont wrote:Whiskey, horses & wild turkey - there is a weekend to remember
Or maybe a typical weekend.
Throw in some college football and yep, that's a typical 'Bama weekend.
Looks good on you, though.
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

Ooooh a bear. Whatev. :P

C'mon Floridians, who's with me to go find an alligator??
OScoot!

Post by OScoot! »

jmazza wrote:Ooooh a bear. Whatev. :P

C'mon Floridians, who's with me to go find an alligator??
Hey, according to today's news....all ya gotta do is scoot up to Melbourne and float thru one of the neighborhoods! They're all over the place.
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

Its 2:30 CST & no one has grabbed the first pic point?
Syd

Post by Syd »

I'm looking for a rattlesnake wrapped, ringtail steak in Tree Frog sauce recipe.
The majority is always sane - Nessus
Racenut

Post by Racenut »

ScootLemont wrote:Its 2:30 CST & no one has grabbed the first pic point?
I set out the bear trap last night. Not a lot I can do but wait. ;)
MarsR

Post by MarsR »

ScootLemont wrote:Its 2:30 CST & no one has grabbed the first pic point?
The seagulls don't seem to want to cooperate. Does seagull poop on my scooter count? :?
MB#1749 RBC#8

"I have GOT to get me one of THESE!"
--Captain Steven Hiller (Will Smith), Independence Day
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

MarsR wrote:The seagulls don't seem to want to cooperate. Does seagull poop on my scooter count? :?
sorry... Utah does not have official state crap
UXO

Post by UXO »

ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

The video for week 12 is up

http://www.timwall.com/hunt/
betsy q. bramble

Post by betsy q. bramble »

Not going for points with this one, just novelty. So here it is!

This is me on my scoot, Sophia. The tattoo on my arm is made up of various state symbols of Massachusetts (where I am from).

State bird - black capped chickadee
State flower - mayflower
State tree - American Elm
State shell - New England nautilus

So there I am, on my scoot, with as many of my state symbols as I can carry on my right arm. :)
Attachments
2776581986_469cf3d99b.jpg
2776581986_469cf3d99b.jpg (43.13 KiB) Viewed 2057 times
Last edited by betsy q. bramble on Sat Aug 23, 2008 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MikieTaps

Post by MikieTaps »

:D NICE! I think tattoos should count...

I got extra credit in one of my philosophy classes after getting a quote from one of the stories we were reading tattooed on my arm :D
OScoot!

Post by OScoot! »

Well, here we go...Foxhound - $15....Trout - $4......Virginia Ham - $10....Cardinal - $10......Milk - $2. Explaining to the State Police what I was doing here - Priceless!

As for points.....see what sticks.... Our state tree and our state flower are the same....so there are three flowering dogwoods in the pic and a closeup of the berry fruit. Dogwoods don't bloom this time of year, so if the fruits are acceptable...they're in the labelled photo closeup inset

2pts - Official State Tree - Flowering dogwood
2pts - Official State Flower - also Flowering dogwood (see labeled photo)
2 pts - Official State Flag (on a flag pole is ok)
1pt - Fake Official state bird - Cardinal
1 pt - Fake Official state animal - Foxhound
1pt - Fake Official state fish - Trout
1 pt – Official State Food - Virginia Ham
1 pt - Official State Beverage – Milk
5 points - Virginia State Police Sign
1 point - me in the pic
1 pt for the first pic posted this week
18 points total

revised points = 16 points.... flower points deducted.

Here's the labeled photo and the prop closeup.

Last edited by OScoot! on Sat Aug 23, 2008 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kazoo

Post by kazoo »

OScoot, I am going to say you are in the education field, maybe Science. :)
OScoot! wrote:<Deleted cause I can>...they're in the labelled photo closeup inset
Here's the labeled photo and the prop closeup.
added after first post: Did you tell them you were trying to solve a crime scene involving a Foxhound; Trout; Virginia Ham: Cardinal; and Milk? :lol:
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

OScoot! wrote:As for points.....see what sticks.... Our state tree and our state flower are the same....so there are three flowering dogwoods in the pic and a closeup of the berry fruit. Dogwoods don't bloom this time of year, so if the fruits are acceptable...
sorry they dont flower this time of year... but there is no state flower in the photo so 15pts.
yes you do get the first pic point
good pic & that puts you in first place (so far)
OScoot!

Post by OScoot! »

ScootLemont wrote:
OScoot! wrote:As for points.....see what sticks.... Our state tree and our state flower are the same....so there are three flowering dogwoods in the pic and a closeup of the berry fruit. Dogwoods don't bloom this time of year, so if the fruits are acceptable...
sorry they dont flower this time of year... but there is no state flower in the photo so 15pts.
Uh...well, wouldn't that be 16 points then? 18 minus 2?

And I'm pretty sure Orange Guy or Sailortot will come thru with a gazillion point photo! :lol:
kazoo

Post by kazoo »

See, I just knew she was a teacher. :lol:
OScoot!

Post by OScoot! »

kazoo wrote:See, I just knew she was a teacher. :lol:
Uh...sorry to disappoint....not a teacher.....but I AM a mathematician!
:lol:
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

OScoot! wrote:
ScootLemont wrote:
Uh...well, wouldn't that be 16 points then? 18 minus 2?
And I'm pretty sure Orange Guy or Sailortot will come thru with a gazillion point photo! :lol:
I thought your original total (before editing) was 17 points - so I took 2 from that 17-2=15
but yeah... you are at 16 now
sailortot

Post by sailortot »

nicely done, oscoot!

i am glad that it doesnt look as difficult as it seems...though im sure you spent a while searching for all of those items in one place.

bravo.
OScoot!

Post by OScoot! »

sailortot wrote:nicely done, oscoot!

i am glad that it doesnt look as difficult as it seems...though im sure you spent a while searching for all of those items in one place.

bravo.
Thanks sailortot. Not quite up to your usual photos...which are great. But it's the best I'm gonna do this week. Not likely I'm going to find any "live" state symbols. Actually, finding the props was harder than finding the place. I drive by the State Police Headquarters building every day when I ride the scoot to work. I noticed the flag and the sign on my way home Friday and decided to roll in and see if they were dogwood trees. I guess you'd kinda suspect they would be ....in front of a state building and all. Too bad we didn't have this hunt in the spring when they were in bloom. Anyway... the troopers that rolled thru to "gas up" while I was there gave me some strange looks when I told them what I was doing. And then they laughed and wished me "good luck".
MarsR

Post by MarsR »

5 pts - Historic Utah County Courthouse sign
2 pts - Official State Tree - Blue Spruce (the bluish one on the right)
2 pts - Official State Flag (on the middle flagpole)
1 pt - Fake Official state bird - California Seagull
1 pt - Fake Official state animal - Mountain Elk
1 pt - Fake Official state fish - Bonneville Cutthroat Trout
1 pt – Official State Food (vegetable) - Spanish Sweet Yellow Onion
1 pt - me in the pic

Total = 14 points

Image Image
MB#1749 RBC#8

sailortot

Post by sailortot »

where the heck did you guys find those small fake fish?

ive been everywhere tonight and cant find anything, and i mean ANYTHING, for my state. no toys. not even a state flag in my town at the police station or post office.

having a hard time to say the least.
MarsR

Post by MarsR »

sailortot wrote:where the heck did you guys find those small fake fish?

ive been everywhere tonight and cant find anything, and i mean ANYTHING, for my state. no toys. not even a state flag in my town at the police station or post office.

Sportsman's Warehouse
MB#1749 RBC#8

Racenut

Post by Racenut »

Am I the only one that thinks it's funny that Utah's state bird is the California Seagull?
MikieTaps

Post by MikieTaps »

Racenut wrote:Am I the only one that thinks it's funny that Utah's state bird is the California Seagull?

HAHAHAHAHA silly utah! :lol:
OScoot!

Post by OScoot! »

sailortot wrote:where the heck did you guys find those small fake fish?

Green Top......a Local sportings goods store for fishermen and hunters mostly. My area must be heavily endowed with sports enthusiastics. The local store has been here for decades. But within a 4 mile radius, a Dick's Sporting Goods and Gander Mountain were built and soon to open is a Bass Pro Shops! All this in a pretty small community! Go figure.
OScoot!

Post by OScoot! »

Nice job MarsR.....I just love your state. Been to southern Utah several times on vacation and I think it's beautiful.
7eregrine

Post by 7eregrine »

Why can't I find a BUCKEYE TREE in the BUCKEYE STATE?!?!?!? :evil:
I will not join a racist club that thinks one color is better then another. We are ALL BUDDY'S!
Racenut

Post by Racenut »

My entry for the week -

2 points - State Tree - Coastal Redwood to the left of the frame
2 points - State Flower - Golden Poppy - Didn't like the trip so well
2 points - State Flag
4 points - State Bird - California Valley Quail - Real but dead
1 point - State Animal - Fake Stuffed Grizzly Bear
1 point - State Food - Found one source called for Garlic, found another calling for blue berries so put em both in there. Though the blueberries were probably a political reference. :p
1 point - State Beverage - Wine
5 points - Sign with State Name - Superior Court of California Seal on Building
1 point - My ugly mug

19 points total
Attachments
IMG_2690.jpg
IMG_2690.jpg (65.03 KiB) Viewed 1869 times
IMG_2686.JPG
IMG_2686.JPG (40.49 KiB) Viewed 1869 times
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Racenut wrote:My entry for the week -

2 points - State Tree - Coastal Redwood to the left of the frame
2 points - State Flag
4 points - State Bird - California Valley Quail - Real but dead
1 point - State Animal - Fake Stuffed Grizzly Bear
1 point - State Food - Found one source called for Garlic, found another calling for blue berries so put em both in there. Though the blueberries were probably a political reference. :p
1 point - State Beverage - Wine
5 points - Sign with State Name - Superior Court of California Seal on Building
1 point - My ugly mug

19 points total
Wow, did you lose the trout along the way somewhere? Good job!
Racenut

Post by Racenut »

ericalm wrote:Wow, did you lose the trout along the way somewhere? Good job!
Yeah, the one that got away :P
OScoot!

Post by OScoot! »

Racenut wrote:1 point - State Food - Found one source called for Garlic, found another calling for blue berries so put em both in there.
Garlic and blueberries....oohhhh YUM!

:)
kazoo

Post by kazoo »

Racenut wrote:My entry for the week -

Maybe being stuck between blueberries and garlic was more than it could stand. Nice Job Racenut.
sailortot

Post by sailortot »

OKLAHOMA

not the most points, but i probably drove the farthest to get a picture with a live buffalo. still not the closest ive been to one, though.

2pts - Official State Tree- redbud (left in the picture)
2pts - Official State Flower or Plant- oklahoma hybrid tea rose. dont ask how i got it.
2 pts - Official State Flag
1pt - Fake Official state bird- wild turkey (i had to dissolve 12 capsules before i found the turkey)
5 pts - Real & Alive Official State Animal- bison to my left and far behind
1 pt – (limit one) Official State Food- pecan pie
1 pt - Official State Beverage – milk
1pt if you are in the photo (entire body & entire scooter)

total= 15 pts
MarsR

Post by MarsR »

sailortot wrote:i probably drove the farthest to get a picture with a live buffalo. still not the closest ive been to one, though.
Nice photo sailortot. Good job on the buffalo. There was a full grown taxidermied elk in the sporting goods store where I got my fish that would have been nice to have in my photo. And I saw a seagull flying outside my window at work today. Oh well. :wink:
MB#1749 RBC#8