Scooter Photo Scavenger Hunt Week 13: Represent Your State

Scooter and Rally Pictures and Videos

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

sailortot wrote:5 pts - Real & Alive Official State Animal- bison to my left and far behind
Great pic & thanks for calling it a BISON - there are no buffalo in the united states! (that bugs me)
If you want a home where the buffalo roam you have to move to Africa or Asia
MikieTaps

Post by MikieTaps »

but really they are all just cows. :P
OScoot!

Post by OScoot! »

WTG sailortot.....terrific photo. I knew you'd come through!
kazoo

Post by kazoo »

I want to enter my official complaint here. Now don't take this personally, and it's not because sailortot is winning; but how could someone from Oklahoma score such a significant number of points in the category for Beach Party? Am I being to picky. Have you folks been getting away with the greatest scam ever perpetrated on the rest of the world...

Please excuse this message if this has already been pointed out.
Orange Guy

Post by Orange Guy »

kazoo wrote:how could someone from Oklahoma score such a significant number of points in the category for Beach Party?
Because Sailortot has her sh!t together when it comes to these photos. On any given week, it's easy to get points, but it's a challenge to get all the points. She's just that good.

Speaking of the beach week and her bing good ... I'm kicking myself. Looking back, I totally blanked on the fishing pole and fish, which were the easy props. Those points would have been nice to have right about now.
I suppose I should be upset, even feel violated, but I'm not. No, in fact, I think this is a friendly message, like "Hey, wanna play?" and yes I want to play. I really really do.

Orange Guy, Inc.
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

kazoo wrote:I want to enter my official complaint here. Now don't take this personally, and it's not because sailortot is winning; but how could someone from Oklahoma score such a significant number of points in the category for Beach Party? Am I being to picky. Have you folks been getting away with the greatest scam ever perpetrated on the rest of the world....
I think the question is "Why didnt the Fla. & Calif. people do better that week?"
Racenut

Post by Racenut »

ScootLemont wrote:I think the question is "Why didnt the Fla. & Calif. people do better that week?"
Hey, I didn't do so bad :P

Also, I didn't play the first three weeks. If you take those out, I'd be in the lead :D

And O'Scoot is only 2 points behind and she missed a week too. So would be in the lead.

Sailortot has done a great job and been there every week. Just makes sense that she's on top...... for now :twisted:
sailortot

Post by sailortot »

:D

im not too far ahead, now. ive slipped up on some easy ones.

looking back, i should have: grabbed a the gopher for golf week, found more bikers/bikes last week, and possibly taken a ride to a state park somewhere on picnic week.

im glad i have good competition who are into this as much as i am! and yes, racenut, you killed me on beach week.

p.s. i am seriously impressed with those who jumped in late in the game and are kicking ass now.
Racenut

Post by Racenut »

Oh wait.. O'Scoot KILLED me last week with Bikers.. damn this is just not a biker town. So she would actually be leading if not for the first three weeks where she missed one too. :P
OScoot!

Post by OScoot! »

It's all about consistency....and that's where sailortot has proven the best. She's been here EVERY week. I couldn't manage to get it together for poker week. Don't know enough scooterists and don't know where they hang out. And without a doubt, sailortot has taken some of the most photographically superior shots!

Now, if you want to go for most adventurous and daring......I think I got that one covered with my 19th floor covert office mission!!!! :rofl:
kazoo

Post by kazoo »

ScootLemont wrote:I think the question is "Why didnt the Fla. & Calif. people do better that week?"
Thanks Scootlemont.

Beaches, we here in OK don't need no stinking beaches. Sorry, its dated.

I am silly, being form the coast, when I think of Beach, I think of a seashore. I guess you already figured that out Scootlemont being that your reply was most appropriate.
sailortot

Post by sailortot »

OScoot! wrote:Now, if you want to go for most adventurous and daring......I think I got that one covered with my 19th floor covert office mission!!!! :rofl:
i would have to agree! that was ridiculous!
Christy

Post by Christy »

gah! I keep traveling for work and when I'm home it ends up raining (I don't ride in the rain if I can help it)...so I've missed out on two or three weeks already. I was never a top contender, but still. :(

I'm going to try to get something in today since I'm leaving again tomorrow for a few days.
EPSP #76
sailortot

Post by sailortot »

please do, christy. we enjoy your photos.
OKBubbles

Post by OKBubbles »

Since Oklahoma's state legislature evidently has WAY too much time on their hands, they've given us a wide variety of official state stuff to choose from. For instance, we have an Official State Animal (bison), an Official State Furbearing Animal (raccoon), and an Official State Game Animal (white tail deer). We also have a couple of different birds from which to choose, and an absolute buffet of choices for food. With this in mind:

As I count it . . .

Official State Flower (Indian Blanket) - 2pts
Official (fake) State Animal (Bison) - 1 pt
Official State Food (black-eyed peas) - 1 pt
Official State Beverage (milk) - 1 pt
Official (fake) State Bird (turkey) - 1 pt
-- I would love to have had a Scissortail Flycatcher, but those things are not currently "in season". Also, no go on the stuffed version, as they are a protected species and, unless you are Native American and using them in ritual -- it's VERY illegal to posses parts.
Official State Flag - 2 pts
University of Oklahoma sign - 5 pts
Me in the photo - 1 pt

Total - 14 pts

I drove all over the metro area looking for a Redbud tree somewhere near a sign with the state name on it. No such luck. Even the official state building downtown was surrounded by Maple trees!

For detail:

and

What a fun week!

EDIT: Why are my pics so small this week???
Last edited by OKBubbles on Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
sailortot

Post by sailortot »

good job, okbubbles. glad to see another oklahoman participate in this weeks challenge.

im surprised you couldnt find a redbud (without red buds since theyve already bloomed) around the area. and ill certainly echo the tough find on a scissortail. i dont think they make scissortail flycatcher beanie babies. :(
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

OKBubbles wrote:EDIT: Why are my pics so small this week???
can someone offer some flikr help on the small pics?
OKBubbles

Post by OKBubbles »

sailortot wrote:good job, okbubbles. glad to see another oklahoman participate in this weeks challenge.

im surprised you couldnt find a redbud (without red buds since theyve already bloomed) around the area. and ill certainly echo the tough find on a scissortail. i dont think they make scissortail flycatcher beanie babies. :(
Thanks ST! This week was a lot of fun, and I'm still blown away by your photo. Did you go to Bartlesville or Pawnee??

I saw tons of redbuds, just couldn't get one in the same frame with an Oklahoma sign. It was 2 points for the tree, and 5 points for the sign -- so in the end I picked the points :D

Now I'm looking forward to Friday to see what the next assignment is!
OKBubbles

Post by OKBubbles »

ScootLemont wrote:
OKBubbles wrote:EDIT: Why are my pics so small this week???
can someone offer some flikr help on the small pics?
I used the edit program that is available on flickr and did some cropping, but only for the first two pics. I'm not sure why they're all so little??
BiscuitHead

Post by BiscuitHead »

How's this OKBubbles?

What you need to do is select the photo you want to post. Click on the "All Sizes" button above the photo. Choose the appropriate size and use the "Grab the photo's URL" link below to use in your img tag. This is the medium size.

And presto...

sailortot

Post by sailortot »

OKBubbles wrote: Thanks ST! This week was a lot of fun, and I'm still blown away by your photo. Did you go to Bartlesville or Pawnee??
i went to woolaroc wildlife preserve. just short of bartlesville. i had never been there before. it was neat.
OKBubbles wrote:I saw tons of redbuds, just couldn't get one in the same frame with an Oklahoma sign. It was 2 points for the tree, and 5 points for the sign -- so in the end I picked the points :D
oh i see. good choice!
Syd

Post by Syd »

Tough week for me again. Buggers, I'm falling back by the week. C'mon SL help me out here!

2pts - Official State Tree (You can always tell a Palo Verde by its green bark).
2pts - Official State Flag (The best state flag design in the country, by the way).
5 points if you take you pic of all this stuff in front of a sign that contains your state’s name (I don't know Sam George. I don't know Sam George. But he wants to be my Corporation Commissioner. I hope he's better than the last guy, and hey, the Arizona Republic likes him).
1pt if you are in the photo

10 points

The majority is always sane - Nessus
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

Syd
where is the flag?
R.McLeod

Post by R.McLeod »

ScootLemont wrote:where is the flag?
On the helmet.
Go Team Venture!
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

ok.. I see it now - thanks
Syd

Post by Syd »

Sorry, I was a little rushed, seeing as how I was parked facing the wrong way on a one-way street!
brape

Post by brape »

2pts - Official State Tree
2 pts - Official State Flag
1pt - Fake Official state bird
1 pt - Fake Official state animal
5pts - Real & Alive Official State fish
5 points if you take you pic of all this stuff in front of a sign that contains your state’s name
1pt if you are in the photo (entire body & entire scooter)
17 points

no food or drink for ct. :-/
KRUSTYburger

Re: Scooter Photo Scavenger Hunt Week 13: Represent Your Sta

Post by KRUSTYburger »

It was impossible to find a business with a Florida flag and palm trees with a sign that said Florida! Everything said "Pensacola" or "Escambia County". And we are the City of Five Flags, so instead of the state flag, all the government stuff had the five flags... Anyways, I didn't really have time to scrounge up a fake Florida Panther either, but I work with what I got, so here it is:

2pts - Official State Tree (Sabal Palmettos: live)

4 pts - Real but dead Official state fish (Florida Blue Marlin: mounted by a taxidermist)

1 pt – Official State Food (Key Lime Pie)

1 pt - Official State Beverage (Florida Orange Juice)

So I guess that's 8 points! Too late to get a better shot, but it was fun trying to find all the stuff. We actually have orange trees in our yard (orange blossom being the state flower) but they are done blooming and now they have fruit, so that didn't work out too well. Anyways, can't wait to see the next topic!!! :D
Holly Buddy

Scooter Photo Scavenger Hunt Week 13: Represent Your State

Post by Holly Buddy »

2pts - Official State Tree - Norway Pines in the back right
2 pts - Official State Flag - Blue thing I am holding
1pt - Fake Official state bird - Stuffed Loon (see closeup)
1 pt - Fake Official state animal - was told it's the Gopher by State Patrol
1pt - Fake Official state fish - big stuffed Walleye fish pillow I'm holding
1 pt – (limit one) Official State Food - Honeycrisp Apple and Wild Rice, only 1 pt though
1 pt - Official State Beverage - Milk
5 points if you take you pic of all this stuff in front of a sign that contains your state’s name
(also represented by the Twins jersey are my boys..the twinkies...and MN state patrol donated the hat)

15 points this week

The great part of this story is the Minnesota State Patrol actually closed down the weigh station for us to get this picture....and gave us the Minnesota State flag AND a bunch of free stuff....we left the loon and the walleye with them as a thank you!

Great hunt this week - had a really fun time getting this picture!
Attachments
The big picture.
The big picture.
scooter state.JPG (99.91 KiB) Viewed 1701 times
The close up.
The close up.
scooter state2.JPG (111.58 KiB) Viewed 1701 times
olivemusic

Post by olivemusic »

+2pts - Official State Tree- White Oak
+2 pts - Official State Flag
+1pt - Fake Official state bird - Cardinal
+1 pt - Fake Official state animal - White tail deer
+1 pt – (limit one) Official State Food -Popcorn
+5 points if you take you pic of all this stuff in front of a sign that contains your state’s name
+1pt if you are in the photo
=13 points
Attachments
This isn't much help, but it really is the state flag!
This isn't much help, but it really is the state flag!
691583869306_0_ALB[1].jpg (13.89 KiB) Viewed 1683 times
502583869306_0_BG[1].jpg
502583869306_0_BG[1].jpg (68.48 KiB) Viewed 1683 times
191583869306_0_BG[1].jpg
191583869306_0_BG[1].jpg (68.81 KiB) Viewed 1683 times
The oak tree is the giant tree on the far left side of the picture that is taller than the building. There were a ton of them on the campus, but were really hard to get into the photo.
The oak tree is the giant tree on the far left side of the picture that is taller than the building. There were a ton of them on the campus, but were really hard to get into the photo.
681583869306_0_BG[1].jpg (69.09 KiB) Viewed 1683 times
Owl you need is love.
siobhan

Post by siobhan »

I had a plan this week, but then life got in the way. Sorry so dark but the photographer doesn't get home until after 7pm and he had to mess around with the Vespa before we headed out.

2 pts for Rhode Island flag (Hope) -- we couldn't get a good wind but it's there on the Capitol building on the left
4 pts for official Bird (Rhode Island Red -- brown egg from a real Rhode Island Red from the farm in Cranston through my weekly farm co-op share; I'm ready for the challenge, bring it on)
1 pt for beverage (Autocrat Coffee Milk)
1 pt for me & scoot in pic
5 pts for "Rhode Island" sign in pic (notice it's at the Dept of Transportation and I'm in the director's spot who obviously drives a car-sized vehicle)

= 13 pts

The kicker? We went for sushi afterwards and the incredibly loud people at the table about 20 feet way ordered striped bass sushi, which happens to be little Rhody's state fish. Darn!

And I'm tired of representing Rhode Island after the Pig Relay: topic7473.html

Last edited by siobhan on Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
siobhan

Post by siobhan »

Holly Buddy wrote:2pts - Official State Tree - Norway Pines in the back right
2 pts - Official State Flag - Blue thing I am holding
1pt - Fake Official state bird - Stuffed Loon (see closeup)
1 pt - Fake Official state animal - was told it's the Gopher by State Patrol
1pt - Fake Official state fish - big stuffed Walleye fish pillow I'm holding
1 pt – (limit one) Official State Food - Honeycrisp Apple and Wild Rice, only 1 pt though
1 pt - Official State Beverage - Milk
(also represented by the Twins jersey are my boys..the twinkies...and MN state patrol donated the hat)

15 points this week

The great part of this story is the Minnesota State Patrol actually closed down the weigh station for us to get this picture....and gave us the Minnesota State flag AND a bunch of free stuff....we left the loon and the walleye with them as a thank you!

Great hunt this week - had a really fun time getting this picture!
Do I love the big pic? Yes! And the story of shutting down the weigh station? Yes! Absolutely awesome!
BiscuitHead

Post by BiscuitHead »

4 pts - Real but dead Official state animal (White Tailed Deer mounted by a taxidermist)

5pts - Real & Alive Official State fish (Bluegill)

1 pt – Official State Food (Popcorn)

5 points if you take you pic of all this stuff in front of a sign that contains your state’s name (University of Illinois sign)

16 pts total

Would have been 18 points with the Illinois flag, but decided it wouldn't be a good idea to use the pictures after nearly being arrested for trespassing. Apparently, the quasi-state organization that I took the photos in front of, does not appreciate any press... good or bad. After being detained for over an hour, the officer kind of said that I shouldn't use the photos. I decided to just come home and take new pictures... not as good as the others, but you get the point.

Believe me, I thought of the 10 point bonus, but, again, decided it probably wasn't the best time to ask.

Not all a bad day though, I did get frisked :roll:

My buddy got this 10-pointer a couple years ago. Live weight... 275 lbs!

No fish were harmed in the taking of these photos (well except for the hook through it's mouth). The fish was released back into the pond and was happily greeted by all of her fish friends (with a cool lip piercing taboot :wink: ).
Last edited by BiscuitHead on Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Orange Guy

Post by Orange Guy »

2pts - Official State Tree White oak
2pts - Official State Flower Violet (not typically blooming this time of year, but the folks at the botanical center are very helpful)
2 pts - Official State Flag
1pt - Fake Official state bird Cardinal
1 pt - Fake Official state animal White-tailed deer
4 pts - Real but dead Official state fish Bluegill
1 pt – (limit one) Official State Food Popcorn

19 points

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Click the thumbs for larger proof pics.
I suppose I should be upset, even feel violated, but I'm not. No, in fact, I think this is a friendly message, like "Hey, wanna play?" and yes I want to play. I really really do.

Orange Guy, Inc.
BiscuitHead

Post by BiscuitHead »

Holly Buddy wrote:The great part of this story is the Minnesota State Patrol actually closed down the weigh station for us to get this picture....and gave us the Minnesota State flag AND a bunch of free stuff....we left the loon and the walleye with them as a thank you!
Sounds like you had a better time than I did.
siobhan

Post by siobhan »

BiscuitHead wrote:4 pts - Real but dead Official state animal (White Tailed Deer mounted by a taxidermist)

5pts - Real & Alive Official State fish (Bluegill)

1 pt – Official State Food (Popcorn)

5 points if you take you pic of all this stuff in front of a sign that contains your state’s name (University of Illinois sign)

16 pts total

Would have been 18 points with the Illinois flag, but decided it wouldn't be a good idea to use the pictures after nearly being arrested for trespassing. Apparently, the quasi-state organization that I took the photos in front of, does not appreciate any press... good or bad. After being detained for over an hour, the officer kind of said that I shouldn't use the photos. I decided to just come home and take new pictures... not as good as the others, but you get the point.

Believe me, I thought of the 10 point bonus, but, again, decided it probably wasn't best time to ask.

Not all a bad day though, I did get frisked :roll:

My buddy got this 10-pointer a couple years ago. Live weight... 275 lbs!

No fish were harmed in the taking of these photos (well except for the hook through it's mouth). The fish was released back into the pond and was happily greeted by all of her fish friends (with a cool lip piercing taboot :wink: ).
Loooooove it! Happy fish gets her pic taken and gets to tell all her pond friends about it.

When we headed out for pics tonight, the b/f said, you know, I feel weird taking pics at the gov't offices to which I replied, it's OUR house! I can't believe you were given a hard time, but I love your pics with the stolen UofIll sign. Just a great effort!
siobhan

Post by siobhan »

Orange Guy wrote: 2pts - Official State Flower Violet (not typically blooming this time of year, but the folks at the botanical center are very helpful)
At least you had one...it's my state flower, too, and I couldn't dig one up from a myriad of neighbors. Great pic...and good luck with the Allstate!
Orange Guy

Post by Orange Guy »

siobhan wrote:Great pic...
Thanks, and right back at ya! Love the egg!
Last edited by Orange Guy on Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Orange Guy, Inc.
SANTRO-PEY

Post by SANTRO-PEY »

+2pts - Official State Tree- White Oak
+2 pts - Official State Flag
+1pt - Fake Official state bird - Cardinal
+1 pt - Fake Official state animal - White tail deer
+1 pt – (limit one) Official State Food -Popcorn
+5 points if you take you pic of all this stuff in front of a sign that contains your state’s name
+1pt if you are in the photo
=13 points
Attachments
100_0515.JPG
100_0515.JPG (66.27 KiB) Viewed 1637 times
OScoot!

Post by OScoot! »

Awwww right!!! and Orange Guy bolts into the lead!!! Way to go!!!

Nice photos!!!
Orange Guy

Post by Orange Guy »

BiscuitHead wrote:after nearly being arrested for trespassing. Apparently, the quasi-state organization that I took the photos in front of, does not appreciate any press... good or bad.
I'd love to hear the details on this one! Please PM me the inside scoop.

Orange Guy, Inc.
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

I was really worried about this week (it really seemed to be going slow) but you all came through in a big way!

Nice work

...and tomorrow starts my final week as huntmaster

I think I am going to miss figuring out wacky things for everyone to get their photo with - but I am sure our next hunt master or mistress will do a great job.

never mind.... I have a song... & to think I havent used the Talking heads since week 1 !!
Last edited by ScootLemont on Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
BiscuitHead

Post by BiscuitHead »

ScootLemont wrote:now I need a song for this week's video.... any ideas?
If the video was just me it would have to be Bad boys by Inner Circle. :oops:
OKBubbles

Post by OKBubbles »

BiscuitHead wrote:
Holly Buddy wrote:The great part of this story is the Minnesota State Patrol actually closed down the weigh station for us to get this picture....and gave us the Minnesota State flag AND a bunch of free stuff....we left the loon and the walleye with them as a thank you!
Sounds like you had a better time than I did.
Oh, I don't know. What with the frisking and all . . .

Some folks have to pay good money for that sort of thing!
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

hey... it looks like the cop photo might end up being the big points for next week & could determine the winner if someone gets it

The top positions are real tight

by the way... CUBS WIN (the chicago cubs, the best team in baseball)
siobhan

Post by siobhan »

ScootLemont wrote:hey... it looks like the cop photo might end up being the big points for next week & could determine the winner if someone gets it

The top positions are real tight

by the way... CUBS WIN (the chicago cubs, the best team in baseball)
Bring it on my friend. I was filling up tonight and thought, hmmm, there's another Probbydense cop who I haven't molested for a pic.

Sorry it's been lame the last few weeks; Pig has really taken it outta me. YOU are the master-supreme.
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

about a song....
never mind.... I have a song... & to think I havent used the Talking heads since week 1 !!
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

BiscuitHead wrote: 5 points if you take you pic of all this stuff in front of a sign that contains your state’s name (University of Illinois sign)
before anyone points out that his stuff is not IN FRONT of the sign - I am awarding the points - its a GREAT pic
sailortot

Post by sailortot »

great week for hunting!

everyone busted out their best on these photos. applause to you all.

loved the live fish in the bag. loved the giant fake walleye or whatever that was given to the police. loved krustys different take on getting the mounted animal (the inside-the-store shot).

loved the stories that came from it all.

dont think i realized how many hunters we have in illinois til today.
Syd

Post by Syd »

I was in Australia recently, so as they say there, "Good on ya" everyone.

But really, popcorn? Deer? I live in the wrong state!