Open mouth insert foot

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

sbebenelli

Open mouth insert foot

Post by sbebenelli »

Had a salesman stop in at work today. One that we deal with that stops in once a month. He seen an old Honda 50 we have in the corner of the shop. He made the comment that all the idiots are buying them and running all over the streets on them. I said I bought one 2 months ago....am I an idiot?

Never seen someone stutter so much. Talk about back tracking. All of a sudden he wasn't talking about me, just the ones that can't drive them. Needless to say I wasn't very talkative afterwords and he left without selling anything.

He had a negative image about scooters like some people evidently have. He envisioned them all slow, in the way and the people driving them had no experience and shouldn't be on them.
alienmeatsack

Post by alienmeatsack »

Well, in a way, he was kind of right. Sort of. There _are_ lots of new riders, many of whom are those very idiots he thought of. But there are also LOTS of very informed, safety concious riders too.

Look at the people here on this forum. Most everyone here is aware of the safety, rides safely, and is concerned about others.

It's just too bad people like that guy see the crazies and don't see all of us who do ride safe!

r
Dead Bunny SC | Tumblr: spazscooter | Twitter: @SPAZ_Scooter | Twitter: @DeadBunnySC
email: spazscooter@gmail.com
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

I'm constantly thinking about things we (the scooter community) could do to change misperceptions of scootering. Maybe we can get a grant to do a billboard campaign and run some PSAs. But if anyone has more realistic ideas, I'd love to hear them.

One of my reasons—other than, you know, safety—to wear gear is that I think drivers are more likely to take us, and our riding, seriously if they see more of us geared up. This isn't an ATGATT argument… I just think that if I'm wearing my modular, Corazzo, gloves, and (usually) boots and am next to a guy in a tank top and flip flops or Crocs and you ask a driver, "Which of these people do you need to look out for on the road?" they would pick me. Maybe when I get that grant, I can test this to see if it's true.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
kazoo

Post by kazoo »

I couldnt agree with you more. I would say you look like you have a need for speed, and not to be trusted on the roads. :twisted: Where as the flip flop one is just, chillin. 8)
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

kazoo wrote:I couldnt agree with you more.
This was a favorite expression of a former boss, who was a well-known politician in these parts. Later, he'd explain, "Oh, I didn't say I agreed with you—I just said I couldn't agree with you any more!"
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Jrman

Post by Jrman »

alienmeatsack wrote:Well, in a way, he was kind of right. Sort of. There _are_ lots of new riders, many of whom are those very idiots he thought of. But there are also LOTS of very informed, safety conscious riders too.

r
I hate to say that most of the new scooter owners I see on the roads where I live (St. Pete, FL) have never read this forum and can't even spell "safety". There are a ton of new scooters on the road right now and most of them ride in flip-flops, shorts and not much else. I hope it does not take a few of them wedged under a "Hummer 3" to figure out they should have taken scooter riding and safety a little more serious.
coffeekittie

Post by coffeekittie »

I'm seeing very few scooterists here in my area wearing inappropriate clothing - but a great many motorcycle riders are in shorts, sandels, tee-shirts - compared to the MC riders the scooter riders look way more serious!
"There are two means of refuge from the misery of life - music and cats."
- Albert Schweitzer

See me and my cool cats at www.justcatshotel.com
www.olygeek.com
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

I think we need to pair up with the Geico Cavemen in a public service commercial. We get no respect!
Drumwoulf

Post by Drumwoulf »

I dunno; when I see someone on a scoot or MC and I'm driving my car, I look out for them no matter what they may or may not be wearing! It's always been my contention that the person on the bike is far more important than the type of bike he/she may be riding... And I don't think it's too difficult to extend this concept towards what someone may be wearing, either.

A human being is a human being and their life is precious. When too many unaware and aggressive people forget about that concept, that's when we end up with a shitty society! :(
Namaste,
~drummer~

07 Buddy 125
07 Vespa GT200
jmsmith802

Post by jmsmith802 »

Speaking of gear, recently it seems I have actually seen more people on motorcycles not wearing gear than people on scooters.. proportionally of course.

And I saw someone on an old honda 50 riding on the sidewalk today.. probably doing 20-25 lol. I wouldn't label all honda 50 riders as stupid after seeing that though..
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

Since we dont have inspections (or anything else required) for mopeds (50cc and down) you see alot of idiots in VA. Busted up panels, non working lights, bald tires, etc. I do find it amazing that all the old Honda Spree's and Yamaha Raz's that suddenly popped up on the roads- in various states of disrepair. But yea, that was a stupid thing to say, but he is probally getting in a big SUV and whinning about the price of gas- THATS the idiot.
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

I don't know if San Francisco is a more "mature" scooter city or not, but I rarely see anyone riding a scooter around here that doesn't have the appropriate gear on. Or it could be that we rarely have weather hot enough to be riding around in just shorts, t-shirt and zorries. :lol:
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

babblefish wrote:I don't know if San Francisco is a more "mature" scooter city or not, but I rarely see anyone riding a scooter around here that doesn't have the appropriate gear on. Or it could be that we rarely have weather hot enough to be riding around in just shorts, t-shirt and zorries. :lol:
Are you kidding? Whenever I'm in San Francisco, it seems everyone is riding around in half-helmets (or 3/4 with no shield) and their regular clothes. No gloves, no jacket, no full-face, no boots, no armored pants.
newslinky

Post by newslinky »

I am not disagreeing with the posts about trying to do something to boost a positive PR image. It definitely would help to alleviate some of the stereotyping that is going on. Having said that it doesn't matter how much effort or how successful any PR type improvement is there will always be groups of people not part of the scootering community who will hold negative stereotipical views. One of those flaws in modern humanity that simply will not go away. :x
Proud owner of a Buddy St. Tropez 150
coffeekittie

Post by coffeekittie »

There was a time when all motorcycle riders were considered to be dangerous drug dealing, gun-totin' greaseballs who wanted nothing more than to raise hell and screw with authority.... That image is seriously outdated, as it should be, and is dying out with increasing rapidity as kids grow up used to seeing them on the streets.

There was a time when adult bicyclists were considered nuisances, to have their road rights ignored and be terrorized by cagers. Bike riders were viewed as weird tree-hugging peacniks, hippies, etc who lived strange alternative lifestyles and probably lived off roots and berries. Now it's an accepted mode of transportation, approved of, generally held in high regard (at least where I live), and no longer a fringe activity.

The same will hold true for scooters. Given time, prejudices generally are replaced with acceptance through familiarity and knowledge. There will come a time when the sheer number of riders will be such that just about everyone will know someone who rides a scoot.
"There are two means of refuge from the misery of life - music and cats."
- Albert Schweitzer

See me and my cool cats at www.justcatshotel.com
www.olygeek.com
DennisD

Post by DennisD »

Jrman wrote:
alienmeatsack wrote:Well, in a way, he was kind of right. Sort of. There _are_ lots of new riders, many of whom are those very idiots he thought of. But there are also LOTS of very informed, safety conscious riders too.

r
I hate to say that most of the new scooter owners I see on the roads where I live (St. Pete, FL) have never read this forum and can't even spell "safety". There are a ton of new scooters on the road right now and most of them ride in flip-flops, shorts and not much else. I hope it does not take a few of them wedged under a "Hummer 3" to figure out they should have taken scooter riding and safety a little more serious.
"Duuuude, its just a scooter! Geeeez, take a pill or sumpin!" :P
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

ericalm wrote:I'm constantly thinking about things we (the scooter community) could do to change misperceptions of scootering. Maybe we can get a grant to do a billboard campaign and run some PSAs. But if anyone has more realistic ideas, I'd love to hear them.
I humbly submit that last weeks scavenger hunt helped change misperceptions a little, at least among a few MC guys
& week one got a few firemen to meet scooter riders.
Yeah... that was a very small change... but it was something
I think what would help a lot (but hard to organize) is a national thing like the toys for tots motorcycle ride -
maybe scooterist could do some sort of national thing for the environment - some "green" cause
Last edited by ScootLemont on Sat Aug 23, 2008 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheshire

Post by Cheshire »

My local newspaper online edition decided it was a good idea to make it so people could comment on the articles. (Ask me what I think of that idea....)

Judging by the comments on every article telling of some scooter involved in an accident, collision, whatever...most drivers still see scooters (regardless of engine size) as slow, a pain in the arse for holding up traffic, and only ridden by those who can't drive a car anymore due to DUI's.

Maybe some grassroots rallies and more local scooter clubs? Maybe seasonal/quarterly rides that benefit some local cause? Just tossing out ideas.
Cheshire

Post by Cheshire »

:oops:
Didn't mean to step on your toes, ScootLemond. Don't know how I missed the last bit of your post.
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

I am not sure about a PR campaign. It is not as if scootin' in a misunderstood afflication. I guess I don't care what people think. If they want to be ignorant and ill informed, let them.
I had a lady scream at me for parking "that thing" in a primo parking space yesterday. The nerve of me
DennisD

Post by DennisD »

peabody99 wrote:I am not sure about a PR campaign. It is not as if scootin' in a misunderstood afflication. I guess I don't care what people think. If they want to be ignorant and ill informed, let them.
I had a lady scream at me for parking "that thing" in a primo parking space yesterday. The nerve of me
Edit: Never mind. Sorry, don't wanna hear anyone yell.
ducatichk

open mouth insert foot

Post by ducatichk »

Forget about that guy. Sounds like a bike guy....I've been dealing with Motorcycle people for a long time. Just got into scootering. I have more fun around town on a scooter. I'm actually noticing that scooter people are so much nicer (in general) than motorcycle people!!!!! I don't know why.
UrbanBuddy82

Post by UrbanBuddy82 »

The safety image is a big part of it and all, but...

What about all of the insecure people out there that drive the fancy sports car or the Lexus or Mercedes drivers that see a scooter (like myself) just minding his own buisness and the thought goes through their head "that little toy is going too slow" EVEN THOUGH I AM GOING THE SPEED LIMIT!!! or "how dare that little toy moped go faster than my big-man-with-the-big-(insert male private part)-mobile"

It is people that instantly think that we are riding a toy and don't belong on the road that paint the bad picture about us...
skullmechanic

Post by skullmechanic »

UrbanBuddy82 wrote:What about all of the insecure people out there that drive the fancy sports car or the Lexus or Mercedes drivers that see a scooter (like myself) just minding his own buisness and the thought goes through their head "that little toy is going too slow" EVEN THOUGH I AM GOING THE SPEED LIMIT!!! or "how dare that little toy moped go faster than my big-man-with-the-big-(insert male private part)-mobile"
People get angry with me when I drive my sports car at the speed limit. I had one guy pass me on the left in a residential area and yell at me, "I know you can go faster than that!" Some people just get angry when they don't get what they want when they want it.
"We're here, because we're not all there."