[NBR] Any Twitter users?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Eazy

[NBR] Any Twitter users?

Post by Eazy »

Anyone use twitter?

They mentioned on a podcast I listen to so I looked into it.

It's kind of weird.
-Ian Follow Me
'08 Genuine Stella - "totaled"
'06 Honda Elite 80 - "bullet proof"
Eazy Scoots.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Me! I have been addicted for some time. I have even Twittered professionally, sort of, and was getting paid to Twitter about tv and entertainment while I was writing and podcasting about TV (until I got cut due to a proposed corporate merger and a purge of freelances, grrr).

My Twitter feed: http://twitter.com/ericalm
I don't know why anyone who wasn't one of my friends or relatives would be interested, though. And even most of my friends pay no mind to the numerous scooter tweets.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Eazy

Post by Eazy »

i'm now following you.

creepy eh?

twitter.com/eazy_ef
-Ian Follow Me
Eazy Scoots.
kazoo

Post by kazoo »

I have a gmail account and I think its a great improvement over the others I have had for constant twittering.

Something different I caught recently that you might find use for once in a while is http://www.slydial.com/

. . . hunny I won't be home for dinner tonight...
etak

Post by etak »

what the heck is twittering?
Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.
-Leonard Cohen

kazoo

Post by kazoo »

I guess its what you guys in Brooklyn call chewing the fat.
Eazy

Post by Eazy »

etak wrote:what the heck is twittering?
They're referred to as tweets by us in the know.

Basically, it's a system where you can update what your doing throughout the day either from your phone or the web. It then sends a "tweet" to all your friends which they can receive on their phone via text message, IM, or through various web apps.

I.E. I just got a tweet from ericalm about the scooter rally he's attending today.

Really, it's similar to a social networking website/blog and it gives you a chance to keep track of your activities and thoughts throughout the day.

check out www.twitter.com
-Ian Follow Me
Eazy Scoots.
kazoo

Post by kazoo »

Sold, I just have to have that. Anything to improve my social life. How much does it cost? Oh wait, I'm a tight wad. I guess I'll just post into the blind.:lol:
ScootingInTheRain
Location: Just North of Seattle, Just South of Mulletsylvania

Post by ScootingInTheRain »

Eazy wrote: ...it gives you a chance to keep track of your activities and thoughts throughout the day.
CORRECTION: It gives you a chance to feel like people care what you are doing right now.

This is two or three notches above blogs in the scale of "self-importance showcase activities".

MB is only one notch :)
Eazy

Post by Eazy »

ScootingInTheRain wrote:
Eazy wrote: ...it gives you a chance to keep track of your activities and thoughts throughout the day.
CORRECTION: It gives you a chance to feel like people care what you are doing right now.
CORRECTION: It gives people a chance to pretend they care what you are doing right now and be the envy of everyone at the table when they're phone won't stop beeping from text messages.
-Ian Follow Me
Eazy Scoots.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Eazy wrote:
ScootingInTheRain wrote:
CORRECTION: It gives people a chance to pretend they care what you are doing right now and be the envy of everyone at the table when they're phone won't stop beeping from text messages.
My friends and I are actually much tighter than pre-Twitter. It's like a giant group chat that never ends. That's a nightmare for some people, I guess.

Our involvement started like this: About a year ago, I said to a group of 30something pals, "Hey, the kids, they're all into this Twitter and I just don't get it. I propose an experiment: let's all join up, try it and figure out what it's all about." More than half of us got totally addicted.

Eazy, I think you were my 100th follower! A lot of them are some kind of marketing thing (I don;t actually follow them), some are professional connections, and about a 3rd are people who i actually know and interact with on a semi-regular basis.
Last edited by ericalm on Sat Nov 22, 2008 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
hackett

Post by hackett »

I do. I follow a handful of people I know in real life, many only on the internet, and a couple or three "internet celebrities," but only if they are entertaining on twitter.
"The final measure of any rider's skill is the inverse ratio of his preferred Traveling Speed to the number of bad scars on his body." --HST
Eazy

Post by Eazy »

Bump.

Any NOOBS?

I also made a twitter account for all my blog posts and what not.

twitter.com/eazyscoots
-Ian Follow Me
Eazy Scoots.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

My Twittering about tv, movies, media and so on has now moved here:

http://www.twitter.com/EricOnMedia

I sometimes feel as if I should have a totally separate account to post about scootering. Most of my RL friends are not so interested. Some asked me about EICMA because they thought it was a museum.

I also feel I should warn anyone who might be inclined to follow my "personal" twitters: I post constantly. It's probably overwhelming and possibly totally inane to anyone who doesn't know me IRL (and to many of those who do).
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

i'm 2strokebuzz. I post stories and news and tips there sometimes that aren't on the site, if you're into that.

It's weird, I like it for what i use it for, but a lot of people (ERIC!) overuse it. heh.

Bb.
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
ageekgirl

Post by ageekgirl »

Too funny. I tweet too, with the same handle, ageekgirl.

Mostly I use it for following local people.
olhogrider

Post by olhogrider »

I signed up for it to follow Dave Mangano's travels through Italy just in time for his return. He's SCTRCST podcast. http://sctrcst.com/ I haven't posted anything on it because anything interesting in my life, I just post here.

Like yesterday. I rode about 200 miles on the Buddy. First was to Marin Vespa to see if my screw was in. It wasn't. Then I got "screwed" buying a $15 sparkplug. After that it was into San Francisco. First I took some pix of the Buddy with my $2 cloth map for the Rand McNally contest. I even videoed my one handed ride down Lombard St. Then it was over to SF Scooter Centre to order a new rear seal. After that I fought traffic to San Jose to hang out with my old Harley gang. They still can't believe I'm on a scooter. Then the 60 mile ride home in the dark.
rudie11

Post by rudie11 »

I use twitter, too. I use it to keep up on local events as well as friends around the country.

It's about the closest I will ever get to actually having a blog.

www.twitter.com/rudie11
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

I only follow Twits if it's a friend of mine with a blog. I really have no need to microblog, as my life is completely boring. However, I blog on LiveJournal. That site is perfect for me, seeing as how my life is completely boring.
ModBud #442