How was your commute today?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

ericalm
Site Admin

Re: Cookin' Engine...

Post by ericalm »

Roose Hurro wrote:I wish I'd been able to buy that book I saw some time ago... the one on how to cook on a car engine. I would think the technique could be used on a scooter, as well.... :nerd:

This book (any edition, it seems) is a hot collector's item and goes for $70-$200+. Wish I had one, too.

Alton Brown had a limited series on Food Network last year, "Feasting on Asphalt," in which he and a small group were crossing the country by motorcycle, taking back roads and eating classic regional road food along the way. Great series—lots of rider camaraderie and good food. In one episode, he cooks a meal in a metal tin strapped to the exhaust of his BMW RT1200.

Series ended on low note when Alton crashed on a dirt/gravel road while trying to avoid a rabbit and wound up with a broken clavicle. Rabbit: that's good eats. New episodes will start airing on August 4!
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

Well, I basically had the worst commute EVER yesterday. In fact, I didn't even make it to work on Ride To Work Day. Two flat tires from three nails? Yeah, I think I was sabotaged/vandalized. And to top it all off, I just discovered that the shop accidentally overcharged me, and now I get to go back and deal with that. I am so upset right now, and broke. Very, very broke.

On the plus side, Genuine's Roadside Assistance is awesome.
ModBud #442
jetboy

Post by jetboy »

polianarchy wrote:Well, I basically had the worst commute EVER yesterday. In fact, I didn't even make it to work on Ride To Work Day. Two flat tires from three nails? Yeah, I think I was sabotaged/vandalized. And to top it all off, I just discovered that the shop accidentally overcharged me, and now I get to go back and deal with that. I am so upset right now, and broke. Very, very broke.

On the plus side, Genuine's Roadside Assistance is awesome.
That stinks. Royally. Not to mention possibly criminal. Hang in there.

I was determined to ride to work yesterday, even though it meant having to go out to the east side of town in the morning from way down south and then downtown in the afternoon, all with a notebook computer and case in my backpack on a day when it hit 97 and was sunny. And I wear a lotta gear.

I was pretty damp when I finally hit my office in the afternoon. But I was glad to unload the computer and ride through some cloudy weather on the way home.

50 miles total.
"All these things - like telly witch-doctors, and advertising pimps, and show business pop song pirates - they despise us - dig? - they sell us cut-price sequins when we think we're getting diamonds."
spiwolf7

Post by spiwolf7 »

rode to work 1.5 mi 93 degrees 8)
onefoo

Post by onefoo »

I like riding to work very early in the morning - like... just before the sun rises.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

onefoo wrote:I like riding to work very early in the morning - like... just before the sun rises.
That's also one of my favorite times of the day to ride, though I try to avoid being awake at all at that hour.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
bee

Post by bee »

today was my first "commute" via buddy. it was lovely. i smiled and felt gleeful the entire way (of course!).

however, this was not after some nighttime anxiety: just before waking up, i was dreaming that i woke up, looked out the window and saw six inches of fresh fluffy snow! i have a distinct memory of thinking to myself in the dream "i realise this is july, but i live in minnesota, BUT it seems unseasonably early for snow" ...you never know.

i wish it was 4:00 so i could ride home. :)
corey

Post by corey »

first post - woohoo!

it was a wet one this morning... i'm kinda dreading the ride home cause i think it'll still be raining and i didn't wear any raingear cause i don't own any raingear... i need to invest in a cover and some raingear...
BlueMark

Post by BlueMark »

Grrrrrrr .... I'm cager commuting ... scoot has been in the shop for two weeks. I've spent more on gas those two weeks than in the previous 2 months.

I suddenly 'get' why so many of you have more than one scooter ...

-Mark
rajron

Post by rajron »

Someone said in a post just recently the bad weather has got everyone edgy resulting in some funky posts so I dug up an old topic that so many used to participate in.

Personally I have not commuted in quite some time, I had to do some traveling when the weather was nice and now the weather is just too darn cold to commute.
But, the weather is soon to break, next week its supposed to dry and warm up to the 50’s! whahooo!!
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

My commute today was without my riding jacket (Fieldsheer High Flow mesh jacket).

It was a really windy day today and man, that riding jacket is so much more comfortable than just a button down shirt. The shirt just flaps like crazy in the wind but with the jacket on (the sleeves and everything are all adjustable) it's a much more aerodynamic ride.

Still- 82 degrees and sunny. Can't complain a BIT about that!
rajron

Post by rajron »

At 82° F, if I told you how I would dress for the commute, there would be another controversy.
afriendofcheese

Post by afriendofcheese »

I took Tuesday and Wednesday off due to bad roads, but I'll be riding in the morning!
Tonight I took the scoot to poker and battled the strongest winds yet on it (20 MPH). I won't be doing that again..NOT fun at all!
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

It's been cold (for LA) coming home at nights. It was probably about 40 or so when I rode home Tuesday morning after an all-nighter in the office. My hands and knees got so cold that when I got home and inside, they had that slightly-frostbitten burning/tingly feeling.

Tomorrow, high of 70.
Friday, high of 75.

Is LA winter over? I'm ready for it to be.
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

ericalm wrote:It's been cold (for LA) coming home at nights. It was probably about 40 or so when I rode home Tuesday morning after an all-nighter in the office. My hands and knees got so cold that when I got home and inside, they had that slightly-frostbitten burning/tingly feeling.

Tomorrow, high of 70.
Friday, high of 75.

Is LA winter over? I'm ready for it to be.

I can relate- a few weeks ago we had some cold weather and I think I rode in the low 30's. My thin blood made it feel like -30's. Glad that only lasted for a few days!
gt1000

Post by gt1000 »

It's been over a week for me, if you don't count the big circles I did in my underground parking garage after I put stabilizer in my gas. We've had intermittent snow and, lately, it's been frigid.

So, with the promise of mid-40's and sun this afternoon I set out on my morning commute with the mercury reading 13 degrees. Not a personal record but, in my experience, anything below about 18 degrees just feels damned cold. That last half mile or so is always a killer but now I've warmed up, the big crease across my forehead from my baklava is almost gone and I'm looking forward to a relatively warm ride home in a few hours.

Oh, and mid 50's over the weekend! :D
Andy

2006 Buddy 125 (orange), going to a good MB home
2009 Vespa 250 GTS (black)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800 (black)
2008 Ducati Hypermotard S, traded for Tiger 800
afriendofcheese

Post by afriendofcheese »

^^^The earlier you can get going, the better. Winds are supposed to get up to around 19 MPH in Denver by 5pm.
I never really paid much attention to wind speeds until last night..20 MPH is way too strong for me!
lobsterman

Post by lobsterman »

I rode on Monday when it was unseasonably warm here in Cincinnati, it rained a little but it was still nice to ride when it was above freezing for a change. Didn't even need my turtle fur neck warmer or secondary layers for warmth like I normally do this time of year.

Yesterday (Wednesday) was torrential rain, flood warnings, and very high wind off and on all day, so I chose to be safe and took the bus. The walk from the bus stop convinced me I made the right decision, the wind was so strong it made it hard to breathe.

Today, Thursday, my commute was simple. I work from home on Tue/Thur and alternating Fridays now. On the other hand, they just raised bus fare from $1.00 to $1.50 so I'm even more inclined to ride the scooter than I was before.

I still ride whenever I can. Cold doesn't stop me unless it's in the 15F or lower range, but other factors can prevent me, like debris or ice/snow in the road.
Kevin
AYPWIP?