How was your commute today?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

lobsterman

Post by lobsterman »

I think I need to consider a relo to FLA or SoCal...

When I moved from NJ to Cincinnati, I didn't know life on the Mason-Dixon line could get so cold.
Kevin
AYPWIP?
gt1000

Post by gt1000 »

lobsterman wrote:I think I need to consider a relo to FLA or SoCal...

When I moved from NJ to Cincinnati, I didn't know life on the Mason-Dixon line could get so cold.
The problem with Florida, especially south Florida, is the summer. Sure, it's great riding in Florida now but try to gear up when it's 90 plus degrees and 90 percent humidity. I'm all gear all the time but I'd have a tough time of it in Dade county.

Then again, we also lived in northern Kentucky for a few years and know your weather well. Your summer heat and humidity rival Florida's and winters can be frosty. Not to mention tornado season.

CA and parts of the west are truly 2 wheeler nirvana. My part of the country is close, but every now and then you get a snow that just doesn't melt quickly. Like right now (tapping toes impatiently).
Andy

2006 Buddy 125 (orange), going to a good MB home
2009 Vespa 250 GTS (black)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800 (black)
2008 Ducati Hypermotard S, traded for Tiger 800
xkennx

Post by xkennx »

trick with florida is to stay near the coast, sure we get hurricanes but who wants to live forever anyway.

Im sad to admit, but during winter months im the poster child of safety gear, but come summer time you will find me on the beach in cargo shorts a punk band t-shirt and a visor turned backwards.
06 Gen Scooters Buddy 125 (sold)
05 Gen Scooters Stella w/sidecar (sold)
05 Vespa ET8
80 Vespa P200 w/ Polini 208
80 Vespa P200 w/ Malossi 210
74 Vespa Sprint 125
74 Vespa Primaveria 125 (broke)
56 Labretta LD 125 (sold)
vitaminC

Post by vitaminC »

gt1000 wrote: The problem with Florida, especially south Florida, is the summer. Sure, it's great riding in Florida now but try to gear up when it's 90 plus degrees and 90 percent humidity. I'm all gear all the time but I'd have a tough time of it in Dade county.

Then again, we also lived in northern Kentucky for a few years and know your weather well. Your summer heat and humidity rival Florida's and winters can be frosty. Not to mention tornado season.

CA and parts of the west are truly 2 wheeler nirvana. My part of the country is close, but every now and then you get a snow that just doesn't melt quickly. Like right now (tapping toes impatiently).
The other problem with FL is that the roads are just too straight! Sometimes a good lean makes everything okay :wink:

At least in KY there are some fun roads and natual features other than the ocean. I was in Nashville, TN for ~5 years, and it was a pretty good place to live.

Still, you're right that CA just can't be beat! Good thing we have these outrageous housing prices to keep out the riff-raff :P
Elm Creek Smith

Post by Elm Creek Smith »

We got into the fifties today, so most of the streets are almost clear. Maybe I can scoot to work by Thursday.

ECS
Yes, that is my scooter.
Yes, I wear a helmet and a FIRSTGEAR armored jacket.
No, I'm not embarrassed to be seen riding it.
Yes, that is an NRA sticker on the fender.

"I aim to misbehave."
Keys

Post by Keys »

The ride to work was COLD at 2 in the morning, but I clocked off about eleven...went home...got something to eat, ordered a new helmet and went for a ride. Was in the 60's somewhere. Sunny. Beautiful!! Put about 30 miles on.

--Keys 8)
"Life without music would Bb"
Coach B

Post by Coach B »

Hey Andy
I scooted the six miles to work both Monday and today. You just have to be careful on the side streets with snow.
The Coach Scoots
Elm Creek Smith

It was the three inches of sleet under the ten and a half inches of snow that threw a monkey wrench into my works. I'm not fighting ice ruts.

ECS
Yes, that is my scooter.

"I aim to misbehave."
gt1000

Post by gt1000 »

Coach B wrote:Hey Andy
I scooted the six miles to work both Monday and today. You just have to be careful on the side streets with snow.
Yeah, me too. Yesterday was quite a bit worse and I ran into some really bad side streets in the Highlands. Most of my normal riding roads are finally dry but I had to pick up some bread at Denver Bread Co. and some of the east/west running streets were really slushy and icy. Fortunately, no traffic and I got to test the Buddy's standard tires in really awful conditions.

I fishtailed and slid a bit, but overall, the tires performed well. Kept the Buddy completely upright though, any sort of lean and I would have probably gone down. I think another day or two and the snow will be gone.

And yeah, like vitaminC said, Florida's other problem is straight roads. When we fly into Ft. Lauderdale I can't believe how there are no curves in the roads. Sort of takes the fun out of riding. On the other hand, combine curves with the large number of truly insane drivers and you'd be living a true scooter nightmare. There are many things about South Florida I really love, but driving there isn't one of 'em.
Andy

lobsterman

Post by lobsterman »

My commute home last night consisted of strapping the Buddy onto the back of the flatbed that Roadside Assistance sent for me.

Flat tire needs to be repaired (or more likely replaced) before I can commute with something other than the bus. :cry:
Kevin
AYPWIP?
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Today: 60 degrees, clear skies, sun is shining and I'm in the darn cager. Mrs. Ericalm (aka GatsbyGirl) is still wary from my accident and doesn't want me commuting and riding home at night while she's out of town kowtowing to her corporate taskmasters in Chicago.

At least I drove in with the top down. Dang!
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
vitaminC

Post by vitaminC »

34F and sunny- brr! But the sun is out and the ride home will be splendid 8)

I really want a windshield...
NarMeowZippy

Post by NarMeowZippy »

Two words: FREAKIN' FANTASTIC!

I haven't had the change to ride Buddy in about a month because of our wind/rain/snow storms... but it was 40 degrees and clear... and out came Buddy.
I had to kick start the poor thing, but after a minute it purred into action.
It's Scooter-rific!!!
mybuddy

Post by mybuddy »

Great weather for Cincinnati for December. Ride in was in the high 30's. Nice ride in, good riding nothing of excitement happened. Ride home should be great with temps in the high 50's.
SteMer

Post by SteMer »

Ditto on the Cincinnati riding weather today. Very comfortable riding to and from work. Even kept the face shield up and wore glasses instead coming home.
mybuddy

Post by mybuddy »

Can't believe the great weather we are having for December. Great commute in, roads were a little damp from the overnight dew, light traffic, cool temps.

Ride home will be great with temps resching the 60's!
lobsterman

Post by lobsterman »

Yeah, I am digging this weather. Had almost all green lights this morning on the way in, I love it when that happens.

Yesterday on the way home I didn't want to stop riding, and it should be just as nice today. Maybe I'll take the long way home. :)
Kevin
AYPWIP?
smorris

Post by smorris »

Yea! I've been riding all this week except Monday (too much salt on the road that got washed of Monday night) as well, and It looks good through the weekend. Next Tuesday is my last day of work for the year, so I hope to ride at least through then. And hopefully Christmas day weather permitting. And of course New Year's Day to get the year started off right! :)
Steve - Avon, Ohio
The Morris Garage

2007 Suzuki Burgman 400 ____ 2006 Vespa LX150 ____ 1965 Vespa 180 SS
2002 Subaru WRX Wagon ____ 1958 MGA Roadster
lobsterman

Post by lobsterman »

Been riding all week; this morning was below freezing so there was a spot or two of what looked like ice that I avoided, and the downhill curve with the stop at the end I have mentioned before had salt thrown all over it. I avoided that too as it looked like a good way to skid out.

But that's not what I'm here to tell you about today. I'm here to tell you about something that happened on my way home from work Monday afternoon.

I leave work right around the same time that the Cincinnati Public Schools are finishing up their bus runs taking the kids home. I was carefully staying away from the bus I saw up the road, but at one point it was turning right at a green light. I was quite a ways behind it and the light was green so I approached slowly to give it time to make the turn. Well... the driver stopped with the tail end of the bus half way into my lane. I know from riding the bus that it's not uncommon around here to need to do that while a car in the other road has to back up to make room for the bus to finish it's turn.

I expected the bus to sit there and wait while the blocking car moved for it, so I started to go around behind the bus. So what does the bus driver decide to do? Something I have never seen before. The bus started backing up. With me about to ride behind it. I quick stop, thanking God that I had taken the MSF Basic Rider course where they make you practice quick stops over and over again. There was no way the bus driver could have seen me (or much of anything else) behind it when it started backing up.

By some strange coincidence, I am reading Proficient Motorcycling when I am home with nothing else to do. I just read, Monday night, the advice about trucks and busses. "stay as far away from them as you can". Yes, I thought as I read it, that is good advice. I wish I had read it Sunday night.

So here's my advice to you all in your commute:

"Stay as far away from trucks and busses as you can. They are unlikely to see you, so they won't do anything to stay away from you."

Have a good commute. Personally, I am thinking of modifying my work schedule to avoid being on the road at the same time as the school busses.
Kevin
AYPWIP?
ivyall

My commute

Post by ivyall »

My first ride to work on my new pink Buddy 125! It was dark when I started, 34ish degrees. As the sun rose I got many looks, especially from high schoolers waiting for their busses! Wore my ski suit over my work clothes. Other than helmet head, a great, refreshing ride. The ride home, in the 40's , much warmer! :D
gt1000

Post by gt1000 »

Blizzard today and tomorrow. I last rode on Monday but I won't be riding again any time soon. I've got Dec. 26 circled as my first possible riding date.
Andy

ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

The days of 60+ degree morning commutes in LA are over. Winter's here and it's been in the high 30s-40s most mornings/evenings. Still commuting, though, and it's been great since (with the exception of last Saturday) the skies have been mostly clear and the air dry.

Still, I'm ready for winter solstice and for the days to get longer...
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
SteMer

Post by SteMer »

lobsterman wrote:So here's my advice to you all in your commute:

"Stay as far away from trucks and busses as you can. They are unlikely to see you, so they won't do anything to stay away from you."

Have a good commute. Personally, I am thinking of modifying my work schedule to avoid being on the road at the same time as the school busses.
Good advice, Kevin. Glad you knew how to respond quickly enough!
Have a great Christmas if I don't see you.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Damn windy today! Made for a cautious, commute. Can definitely feel it though and my office sounds like the Big Bad Wolf has come a-callin'. I was even careful about parking the scoot close to the building to reduce risk of is being blown off the center stand. For once I'm thankful I work in a cinder block warehouse space (hot in the summer, cold in the winter, no natural light). I could always park it in my office next to my desk...

polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

I am looking forward to this being the last time I commute by the !@#% bus. I have next week off work, and my Pinky Tuscadero should get here by then! *crossing fingers*
x-mojito50mod

Post by x-mojito50mod »

@ eric...
I got the wind this afternoon, AND the rain this morning! Worst of both worlds! The winds are supposed to be done by sundown though, and we will be riding to Mike's (Frankovich) tonight...you coming out?
-Matt
smorris

Post by smorris »

...still riding! 54F and rainy here today. Very unseasonable.
Steve - Avon, Ohio
The Morris Garage

gt1000

Post by gt1000 »

20 plus inches of snow, drifts 4 to 5 feet deep. Highs in the 30's mid-day. My daughter is stranded in Florida because her flights were canceled.

No more complaining! :wink:
Andy

ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

x-mojito50mod wrote:@ eric...
I got the wind this afternoon, AND the rain this morning! Worst of both worlds! The winds are supposed to be done by sundown though, and we will be riding to Mike's (Frankovich) tonight...you coming out?
-Matt
Sounds like fun, but I'm polishing off holiday preparations. Wind still sounds pretty vicious out there, too! I'll try to come out for a pre-New Year's ride.
lobsterman

Post by lobsterman »

Back at work today after almost two weeks (yikes).

The ride in this morning was 30 degrees after lots of warm wet weather over the weekend, and the roads had lots of wet places and several that were clearly icy. It didn't go below freezing until shortly before dawn.

I took it slow and no drama. Should be in the 40's on the way home, so no worries.

I must say, the commute was pretty boring after the 70 some mile group ride we did on Saturday. Still way way way way way better than taking the bus. :D
Kevin
AYPWIP?
AxeYrCat

Post by AxeYrCat »

Man, I was just thinking this morning as I was leaving for the drive in to work that I was glad that I wasn't riding the Buddy. There were a lot of slick spots in my driveway...

You so crazzzzy, Kevin! :shock: :P
Huh? What just happened?
rajron

Post by rajron »

I know what you mean - we had ice here as well, and snow
Attachments
today.jpg
today.jpg (53.49 KiB) Viewed 2560 times
mybuddy

Post by mybuddy »

Yeah, I almost rode today. I knew that the afternoon would have been ok, it is that 5:30am frosty commute that had me worried.

I did use my scoot to get some geocaches on friday, does that count?
lobsterman

Post by lobsterman »

I'm not crazy (OK maybe slightly). We're a one car family so it's the scooter or the bus for me. I'm motivated by a combination of an intense dislike of the S.O.R.T.A. bus experience and a concurrent enjoyment of the ride even when conditions aren't optimal.

And hey, in a few minutes I'll have a nice ride home in the sun and a balmy 44 degrees.
Kevin
AYPWIP?
smorris

Post by smorris »

Like Kevin, it was about 28F here this morning at 7am. Some icy spots, and hard to see some of them with fog on the shield.There was a nice full moon setting in the west. It felt colder coming home tonight, even though it was 39F, because of a headwind.

The rest of the week is supposed to be low in the 30s and high iabout 50 with rain Friday. This is so great to be still riding now!
Steve - Avon, Ohio
The Morris Garage

Elm Creek Smith

Twenty-eight degrees this morning. I scraped ice off the windows of the Cruiser. The Budd stayed in the garage.

Maybe tomorrow.

ECS
Yes, that is my scooter.

"I aim to misbehave."
lobsterman

Post by lobsterman »

Hey, there was ice on the windows of the Outback this morning when I left as well. No windows to scrape on the garage kept Buddy. :P

Ride home was virtually free of red lights, and so lots of fun (unless you count the scary old van fading into my lane).
Kevin
AYPWIP?
Keys

Post by Keys »

I had 24 degrees on my way into work this morning at three a.m., but the ride home was in the mid to upper 50's. Took the long way home. Took me about 30 miles to make it the 5 miles home...

--Keys 8)
"Life without music would Bb"
SteMer

Post by SteMer »

I cheated today. Saw how chilly it was this morning so I drove to work but came back at lunch. Then rode the bud back to work in the afternoon. It was in the 50's and sunny this afternoon - very nice. It was good to ride again after a week off (traveling in CA).
Elm Creek Smith

Beautiful day today. I was sick and didn't go to work or anywhere else. I'll ride tomorrow if I can get out of bed.

ECS
Yes, that is my scooter.

"I aim to misbehave."
gt1000

Post by gt1000 »

I rode outside today for the first time since our blizzard hit on the 20th. The roads in Denver still aren't ready but I needed to ride today because I had several meetings in different parts of the city. While the main roads are clear and mostly dry, cars turning onto them from snow-packed side streets are spreading little icy spots all over. For the last few days, I've been scouting the various roads I can choose from on my commute and this morning I took what I judged was the safest route. No problems, but I did have a few pucker moments. Then, after lots of afternoon melting, the ride home in the high 40's was pretty messy.

If you're in Denver I'd still keep the scoots and bikes locked up for a few more days. The reason I mentioned riding outside in my first sentence is that when my daughter came in for her Christmas visit she insisted on getting a ride on the Duc as well as taking the Buddy for a ride. So, I fired both up and she took a few laps around our underground garage on the Bud. I think she loved it.
Andy

polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

MY COMMUTE WAS SO AWESOME, IT WARRANTS ALL CAPS!!! :D :D

No more SEPTA bus!!! NO MORE!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!! :P

I guess it was roughly 40 degrees. How do you people know how cold it is?! I guess you have HOUSES with thermometers and stuff? Sheesh. :wink:

I forwent Broad Street in favor of 13th Street all the way up from Tasker in South Philly to Temple U's main campus...five miles. I think I hit 30mph maybe twice?

I only had one "O $h!t" moment when some "cager" in a hurry blew past me (and two other cars ahead of me!) with no signal, just horn blasts. Double sheesh! :x

Still...BEST COMMUTE EVER! Yay!!! 8)
gt1000

Post by gt1000 »

]MY COMMUTE WAS SO AWESOME, IT WARRANTS ALL CAPS!!! Very Happy Very Happy

No more SEPTA bus!!! NO MORE!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!! Razz
Well, that's great. Congrats and enjoy the ride. I'm a SEPTA veteran myself, logging many miles on the Market Street line when I was going to grad school. I had a few scary moments, especially riding out for night classes.

Now that you have your Buddy, be careful. Learn the limits of your machine in a safe environment and have fun!
Andy

lobsterman

Post by lobsterman »

polianarchy wrote:MY COMMUTE WAS SO AWESOME, IT WARRANTS ALL CAPS!!! :D :D

No more SEPTA bus!!! NO MORE!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!! :P
Still...BEST COMMUTE EVER! Yay!!! 8)

congratulations polianarchy!

You may still have some weather induced bus rides, as do I, but now you're not trapped like you were.
Kevin
AYPWIP?
lobsterman

Post by lobsterman »

My excellent commute today was interrupted by an 18 wheeler cutting across 3 lanes of traffic to make a right turn. :shock:

I was coming off a hill, 35 to 40 mph on wet pavement in the far right lane of 4 lanes. One cager in front of me, one cager in each of the two lanes on his left, with the truck ahead by a little in the far left lane.

The truck signaled, after he started changing lanes. :evil:

All other vehicles hit the brakes hard. Thankfully there was nobody immediately behind me, the Buddy slowed and stopped on a dime like the precision riding machine it is, despite the wet road. I love my scooter. :D

The cager in front of me came close to hitting the truck as it cut across the lanes, but thankfully no crunch for anyone.

Other than that, a fine ride this morning.

There is a moral to this story, of course. Take the advice seriously about following distance and looking ahead. Minimum 2 second following distance from the car in front of you, more if the road is wet. Be watching 2 seconds, 4 seconds, 10 seconds ahead of you. I knew the truck was there way before this happened, and I was giving his zone a percentage of my attention already, watching for whatever might be going on that far out ahead of me. If I had been following the car in front of me too closely and/or not been paying attention to the road ahead of him, I'd have had a close encounter with his rear bumper and then the pavement. Also, practice your quick stops. You will need to do it for real eventually. Today was the day for me.
Kevin
AYPWIP?
smorris

Post by smorris »

Its *still* great riding weather! Fantastic.

Did any of you go for a full moon ride last night? I did. It was 39 when I got home. After dinner, the moon was rising, so I dressed for the weather and took of on some of the rural roads around here. I ended up visiting 5 local towns and just enjoying the bright sky, lack of traffic, and no bugs! I eventually started getting chilled so headed home. I ended up riding 71 miles, just for the heck of it.

What a blast! It made this morning's commute seem short at 8 miles.
Steve - Avon, Ohio
The Morris Garage

sunshinen

Post by sunshinen »

Here in the east, it's been nice and cozy warm! It was in the 60s today, perfect riding weather, and I was riding along happy, lovin it, and all of a sudden the power cut out and the engine made a bad noise. I immediately pulled over and cut the engine. It happened to be in a secured complex, and the security guard tried to wave me away, but I said I couldn't go. She let me hang out till my boyfriend showed up with some tools and oil. There was oil every where! I filled it, he helped me tightened everything, I cleaned up what I could, and started it up. At first the engine still sputtered significantly, but warmed up and then sounded better. As I started riding, though, there was still a bit of a grinding/rattling sound. I wasn't that far from home, so my boyfriend followed me in his jeep. I kept hoping the oil just needed to circulate a bit, but the sound didn't stop, so I called roadside assistance. Good thing I wasn't waiting for them on the side of the road. After nearly 5 hours of waiting, they have just hauled my Buddy away. :cry: :cry: :cry: I'm hoping I'm just being precautious and everything is fine. Is that delusional??

Edited to add: The ironic thing is, after my first oil change the gear oil had been leaking on and off. After the second, there hadn't been a drop of oil in my spot at home or work. I guess it all drained between some bump and that complex. :?
Roose Hurro

Losses...

Post by Roose Hurro »

Sorry to say, but yes, it's probably delusional. Any time a vehicle suffers oil loss, and you ride/drive it till you hear a noise, then something's toast. What you hope for is that you caught it early enough that the damage is minimized. If it's gear oil you lost, not crankcase oil, then all you've lost is the gear(s)... if it's crankcase oil you lost, then you're talking engine damage. Been there, done that, and it's still sitting in the driveway, over six years later.... :cry: (my poor '85 CRX!)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

Second morning commute, and my first on wet roads! Not too big of a deal since it's like 55 degrees this morning (WHAT global warming?), but it was still scary enough to give me pause when deciding to ride or take the !@#%$& bus. I chose "happy scooter time" over "angry bus time," and gave myself an extra 30 minutes cushion, in case the skies opened up. It just barely drizzled, thankfully. :whew:

Yesterday afternoon as I was leaving work, a Phila Parking Authority "pretended" like he was writing me a ticket. I said, "Is there a problem, officer?" just like inthe movies, and then he starts laughing. "Hahaha, I was just kidding! But you need to call PPA and get permission to park on the sidewalk." Some joke! :roll:

Dang. I wish I knew who was riding that TNG Vino all summer long, and parking exactly where I was parked. I'm certainly not the first person here to have this problem. Philly Weekly article on scooter parking
ModBud #442
Tikka Masala

Post by Tikka Masala »

Congrats polianarchy! I saw your intro post on the Hostile City SC Yahoo group today. Welcome.

I'm a moderator over on sister site Modern Vespa and local to you so I wanted to say hi. We have a great bunch of scooterist in Philly. Take advantage of this weather to get your practice up and when you are ready I hope you join us on a Sunday ride sometime.

Tom
"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away"