2 Buddy experiences today

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

jmazza

2 Buddy experiences today

Post by jmazza »

I just got back from a long ride to run some errands and get lunch (read: an excuse to ride a few miles on a gorgeous day) and had two cool Buddy experiences.

I parked at a Best Buy up on the curb (next to an Aprilia Scarabeo) and a guy came up and started asking me all kinds of questions about the Buddy. He said it caught his eye as I drove past and he was a Harley rider when he was young but he and his wife were thinking of getting scooters. He asked about gas mileage (and his jaw fell open), price, speed, where it's made... and that's where he seemed to lose a bit of interest (when I said Taiwan).

He could tell I had done research and knew what I was talking about, and between that and the Buddy's price, (not expensive but not exactly $999 BUY NOW!), he said that it must be a quality product. We talked a bit about Vespas and I told him how they are great, but definitely higher priced, etc. He left and then walked back one more time to take a look- he really loved it. But I wonder if anyone else has the same reaction when you say your scooter is made in Taiwan... You know and I know that Taiwanese scooter quality is much different than mainland China, but how do you explain that?

The second cool (but actually annoying) experience was when I stopped in Barnes and Noble to get the latest Scoot and they were out. I thought maybe they'd stopped carrying it but when I asked, the girl behind the counter said she was straightening up that section of magazines this morning and saw "a few copies." But they were nowhere to be found, so maybe they actually sold three copies today. For a town that isn't exactly a scooter mecca, I thought it was cool- even though I left without a copy of the mag.
shark

Re: 2 Buddy experiences today

Post by shark »

jmazza wrote: He could tell I had done research and knew what I was talking about, and between that and the Buddy's price, (not expensive but not exactly $999 BUY NOW!), he said that it must be a quality product. We talked a bit about Vespas and I told him how they are great, but definitely higher priced, etc. He left and then walked back one more time to take a look- he really loved it. But I wonder if anyone else has the same reaction when you say your scooter is made in Taiwan... You know and I know that Taiwanese scooter quality is much different than mainland China, but how do you explain that?
Just tell them their based in Chicago. You wouldnt be fibbing.. :twisted:
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

Yeah I did start there.. but then I guess the honest person in me (I make a terrible salesman) felt the need to say how Genuine imports them... I should have shut up after Chicago!

PS- coming back to this thread I realized that were this not a forum where "Buddy" clearly means a particular popular scooter model from a Chicago scooter company, the title of this thread would definitely have "NSFW" in front of it! :shock: