letters from admin/moderators

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

SERIES ITALIA RIDER

letters from admin/moderators

Post by SERIES ITALIA RIDER »

BAD STUFF HERE...

Inbox :: Message
To: SERIES ITALIA RIDER
Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:22 am
Subject: Re: posting guidelines
Okay, here's the thing:

1. The topic was about the political process, not beliefs or opinions. The posters to the thread have been mature enough to keep it very neutral and objective. No one has expressed an opinion on political issues. No one has posted anything which anyone else has had a problem with.

2. You are the only person who has objected, at all, to the existence of the thread.

3. The moderators and I can interpret the guidelines and enforce them as we see fit. We discuss these things amongst ourselves. None of us found anything in the thread objectionable. If/when we do, we will lock or move the thread until a decision has been made on how to deal with it.

4. The members of ModernBuddy have proven very resilient, patient and very good at policing themselves. I do not run the forum with an iron fist and it's my personal belief that the mods and I should intervene only when necessary to remind people of the guidelines or when we feel something has spun so out of control that it must be removed. Case in point: the boyfrind thread, which you reported numerous times. Polianarchy handled the objectionable comments herself. I communicated directly with her and she had no problem with leaving the thread up as it was.

5. (And this is the one to which I would like you to pay the most attention, because my patience is wearing thin and after this I will no longer feel and need to explain myself to you or to indulge you any further.) Your frequent and vociferous objection to threads and posts which you dislike, for whatever reason, is becoming time-consuming and bothersome. You're an irreparable tattle-tale, the MBer who cries wolf while saying the sky is falling. So, again, I'm telling you to simply avoid that which does not interest you. We make it very easy for you to do so. If you have a problem with a thread, just stay out of it. And please desist from reporting every post with which you have the slightest objection. We allow NSR topics because it helps build community and allows us to share other interests. We read every post and step in when necessary. If you have a problem with something, either let it go or do as your fellow members do—set the offending poster straight in the thread in as mature and respectful manner as possible.
rajron

Post by rajron »

Can we vote on whether we think this rude, or wrong?
EP_scoot

Post by EP_scoot »

Sure,
My vote is that the Pivate Message from ericalm is neither rude or wrong.
My vote is that posting someone's PM is wrong and childish.
Beer is the answer . . . what was the question?

D.
afriendofcheese

Post by afriendofcheese »

I think it's a well constructed and appropriate response. Does it need it's own thread and need to be made public? No.

I post on another music related board, and it's very loosely moderated so a bunch of topics show up that I don't care to read about so what do I do? I ignore them and don't even open them up. Pretty simple. It's not like the title of the thread in question is misleading. Don't want to read about politics? Then don't open it.
Valgal20

Post by Valgal20 »

Wait- Did I miss something? :? what is this about? just wondering.
Valgal20

Post by Valgal20 »

O- Nevermind- I found out- OK No politics
DouglasLive

Post by DouglasLive »

Ban him.
bonniebuddy

Post by bonniebuddy »

'''...
Last edited by bonniebuddy on Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

yes, we had another newbie quit yesterday because she "didn't need the drama."

I concur that 1) posting a private message publicly is wrong and immature, and 2) even so, seeing this message just reinforces the fact that Eric is doing his job properly, and that S.I.R. is neurotic, combative, and hypersensitive.

Bb.
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

After cross posting this on the other thread (talk about netiquette!) S.I.R. is, sadly, leaving us, which is tearing me up inside.

I'd like to point out that even if Eric does read every post, he's not on the list live 24/7, and I *don't* read every post, so don't feel like the "Report Post" button is utterly verboten, it's a good way to report posts that are indisputably spam and have them quickly removed, and if you've exhausted other options (including ignoring trolls, which is hard, don't I know it), it's a perfectly legitimate way to ask us to step in and calm things down or lock the post, but you have to understand Eric's in charge and it's ultimately up to him how the list is run. Smacking that "X" every time you spot a typo isn't going to win you any friends in the moderator pool. Use restraint and common sense.

Bb.
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
EBee

Post by EBee »

bonniebuddy wrote:why is everyone on this site so filled with hate?
just wondering, i'm a nubee but all the postings
seem to be so negative on here
I think you're just experiencing a rash of nastygrams from people who are suffering from scooter withdrawal due to the winter weather. :D

Seriously, seems like a couple of fokes are just being cranky and need to have their Bosco and cookies in another room until they can be allowed back in with the larger group. Don't go 'way, Bonnie, until you've hung out with us a while. By and large we're a nice bunch...
"If everything is coming your way, you're in the wrong lane."--Steven Wright
poop colored buddy

Post by poop colored buddy »

k guys, let's not resort to name calling. I don't know what exactly went on, but S.I.R. Was a nice guy, the man mailed me some stickers he bought out of his own pocket and mailed them to me, just because he thought they would look cool on my Stella. I do think its wrong to post a PM, absolutely. My point is that ericalm is a cool guy with loads of patience which we all know, but S.I.R. Is a cool guy too. Now I don't agree with S.I.R. For posting a pm, but I don't think the message was entirely cool either. I don't agree with the execution of ericalm on his #5 of the pm, It did reslit to name calling (which I do all the time also). I guess what I'm trying to say is that, the pm was meant to be between 2 people, so let's just all stay out of it. I don't know how ericalm does it, I would blow up on people on a daily basis, and we all have respect for him, but SIR obviously felt wronged, and that is also important to note. So let's all group hug and get along.
I have the scoots!
bonniebuddy

Post by bonniebuddy »

'''...
Last edited by bonniebuddy on Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
poop colored buddy

Post by poop colored buddy »

bonniebuddy wrote:actually you as a moderator posting comments like that is more disturbing than the s.i.r. person you are talking about. your comments should not inflame but sooth people.
I agree. Doing that all the time would be hard though, I couldn't do it.
I have the scoots!
bonniebuddy

Post by bonniebuddy »

'''...
Last edited by bonniebuddy on Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

And, just to be very clear, ericalm had earlier explicitly warned S.I.R that his patience was at a low ebb and that this was therefore a good moment to chill out. Instead, S.I.R. posted eric's follow-up PM, a move obviously intended not just to provoke eric, but to rally support for S.I.R. This is only the second time I'm aware of that somebody has decided to do battle with the site owner or the moderators and it hasn't worked out for them either time. So, let's just take a deep breath here, please.

To finish on a positive note, I as a moderator want to say a huge thank you to the 99.9% of the folks here whose contributions make Modern Buddy the friendly, helpful scooter site it is!
bonniebuddy

Post by bonniebuddy »

'...
Last edited by bonniebuddy on Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

jrsjr wrote:
To finish on a positive note, I as a moderator want to say a huge thank you to the 99.9% of the folks here whose contributions make Modern Buddy the friendly, helpful scooter site it is!
Yeah this is definitely one of the cooler and more useful/helpful scooter sites I've been to. Don't know what's up lately - just some topics that have gotten under people's skin. I'm sure we've all seen it before on other boards. These interwebs can get a little crazy sometimes.

I too think both S.I.R. and Eric have always been super cool- I hate to see things go down like this, and maybe it will get resolved a little better. Mods on any forum have it tough but these guys do a great job of keeping this board one of the best resources certainly for Buddy owners, but scooteristas in general. I read almost every thread here before even buying my Buddy and I'm having a much easier time as I learn because of it.

So, anyway, I guess that's all I've got. 8)
ScooterTrash

Post by ScooterTrash »

bonniebuddy wrote:actually you as a moderator posting comments like that is more disturbing than the s.i.r. person you are talking about. your comments should not inflame but sooth people.
Somebody has to play bad cop 8)
louie

Post by louie »

:shock: i always thought this to be a calm collected place, mostly
when i need some scooter flame i just go to bbs
i guess i don't even know what's goin on, do I.
ScooterTrash

Post by ScooterTrash »

louie wrote::shock: i always thought this to be a calm collected place, mostly
We are arguing to pass the time till spring.....well, I am :lol:
louie

Post by louie »

ScooterTrash wrote:
yeah, i found it.
you all need to scoot south for the winter.
ScooterTrash

Post by ScooterTrash »

louie wrote:
ScooterTrash wrote:
yeah, i found it.
you all need to scoot south for the winter.
scoot south, I cant even drive due to road closure
ellen

Post by ellen »

Hey Series Italia.. er.. I mean Bonnie, you do realize that this site logs IP addresses don't you? :wink:

Sorry folks, seems like we have a joker here who is patting himself on the back. There are only 2 people on this board posting from IP address 71.229.198.172, a Comcast address in Denver.

Anywho, lets move along, nothing more to see here. Now lets talk about stuff thats really important.. Like HOW BOUT DEM GIANTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! How many more days till spring!!!!!! 8)
shark

Post by shark »

You people have always been great to me and I will always use my knowledge to help any way I can.

You people are my friends.....
I love you all...even the staff....

And yes I want to start a fight because it's cold out..... :twisted:
Any takers???
rajron

Post by rajron »

How do you identify the I.P. address? --- that might be handy in the future.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Okay, I log in for the first time since this morning and see this...! (Been very busy at work.) I had actually banned Series Italia Rider before I went into General Discussions to see this. This is the first time in several months that we've banned a member—a credit to you all and how carefully I consider these things before taking that kind of action.

I don't really care that he posted my PM. The reason I wanted to discuss this with him in PM is because I didn't want it dragged out in the forum where it would be annoying to people uninterested in such a squabble. Basically, in a situation like this, I wouldn't PM him anything I felt was inappropriate.

That said, the differences had very little to do with the the thread on primaries. Series Italia Rider has been, for weeks, reporting every post he felt was slightly objectionable. He would send multiple reports for a single thread, and these were often for things that were easily corrected by the membership. You guys do a great job of keeping each other in line (as infrequently as that's needed) and I like leaving that in threads so others know not to go astray.

I feel that I was more than adequately patient with Series Italia Rider, having spent considerable time over the past few weeks indulging his frequent complaints and explaining that locking threads and deleting posts is done at our discretion, and only when we feel a post has no business being on the site for any reason. He became increasingly belligerent and abusive and his reports, PMs and posts and was effectively disruptive. That's what got him banned.

rajron wrote:How do you identify the I.P. address? --- that might be handy in the future.
Moderator function! SIR has actually emailed me threatening legal action for allowing his IP to be posted. Nice.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Leeroy Jenkins

Post by Leeroy Jenkins »

ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Well, after that there's just nothing more to be said here, so I'm locking it up! :)

Thanks to all who chimed in on this. And thanks to everyone for keeping things civil and helping to make this an open and welcoming forum for all.

If anyone has any further questions, comments, feedback, etc., please PM me. These "state of the forum," navel-gazing threads just aren't that fun.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…