50 cc Break in speeds

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

paikkylee

50 cc Break in speeds

Post by paikkylee »

Got a noob question here and couldn't find the answer: How fast should my scoot be able to go after about 130 miles of break in? I get it up to 35 Buddy miles on flat ground, so I'm suspicious that it wasn't de-regulated like the dealer told me. Or maybe I just need to be patient :?
paikkylee

Thanks for any responses.

Post by paikkylee »

Sorry, didn't introduce myself - how rude. New to scootering in Grand Rapids MI. Read a lot of posts and think they're funny / informative / insightful. Thanks. JL
Jrman

Post by Jrman »

35 Buddy speed is really about 30 real speed. That is the estimated max speed when regulated. My friend has a Buddy 50 and he gets up to 45-50 Buddy Speed (40-45 real). You may want to ask if that was really deregulated.
MikieTaps

Post by MikieTaps »

you must also take rider weight, how high you are above sea level, and even temperature into consideration. I am a big guy, near sea level, and during the summer when it is real hot out, my buddy just doesnt run as good, but when it is cool and dry... its like a rocket!
paikkylee

Vital Stats

Post by paikkylee »

I'm about 165lbs and was riding this morning at 55 degrees. The scoot has about 124 Buddy miles so far.

Is there an easy way for me to tell if it was actually de-regulated?
Lil Buddy

Post by Lil Buddy »

I weight 170. Got my (deresticted) 50 used with 450 miles on it. My first day riding it I hit an indicated 47mph. After adding the windshield and switching the gear oil to synthetic, I can hit an indicated 50mph now.

Its not reccomended to switch to synthetic oil till the scoot has been broken in. Its also not reccomended to go full throttle till broken in also.....but sounds like you already scrapped that rule :twisted:

I'd say your scoot has not been derestricted but again, I got mine used so I don't know exatly how they perform from the start.

There are things to look for so you can tell if its been done or not....but I don't know what those things are. Something about removing something then removing a washer or something like that. (Im sooooo helpfull).

Anyway, welcome to the club and enjoy your new Buddy.
paikkylee

Post by paikkylee »

Thanks 'Lil Buddy. I think the dealer was in a rush to make a sale and not in a hurry to get things done right for me or make good on his promises. One of several that he didn't follow-through on. Bad "Say:Do" ratio on that guy. Vespa of Holland, MI is the dealer for anyone else who's in the GRR area.

I'm not inclined to start taking my Buddy apart myself, but am going to look for someone who is.
Jessica

Post by Jessica »

I have a buddy 50 and just got it derestricted yesterday at 310 miles. Before derestriction, I was able to get up to 45-50 at full throttle. I've only taken it for a short run since yesterday, but I think I've added a good 5-10mph to the top speed. I was crusing along at 50 quite nicely without using the throttle to the fullest extent. Granted, I'm a pretty light 120lbs.
Modern Buddy Member #2753
<a href="http://www.raleighscooter.org/index.html">Raleigh Scooter Organization</a> #45
Official S.P.A.Z. Member
jmsmith802

Post by jmsmith802 »

Mine went 50 indicated from day one, de-restricted. So I would say yours is definitely not derestricted yet..
paikkylee

Post by paikkylee »

I guess it's time for me to just be patient and lay off the throttle for a little while until I can get it de-restricted. :evil: