City Scooter Parking Survey

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

peabody99

City Scooter Parking Survey

Post by peabody99 »

Hi fellow MB'ers-I plan on asking our city to provide some scooter/mc parking. I am hoping members can help me gather data! For those that have special parking or are in the process of implimentation, can you tell me:
City/town name:
Do they charge to park scoots or is it free:
is a special permit required:
Any idea on number of spaces city wide-

This is an oddball question-if the city has times of the year where no one is riding-ie snow cover months-do the spaces go back to cars?

Thanks, I am hoping I will be able to do something
MikieTaps

Post by MikieTaps »

Seattle WA
Parking will be less than it is for cars. They have figured they can put 5 scooter / MC spots in a standard car spot. Chances are, it will be 1/5th the cost to park a single scooter.
There will not be a special permit required.
The number of spaces is currently growing. We (VCOS) has been working with Coucil Woman Sally Clark on MC and Scooter Parking and Rights. The city is going through the transition right now. The spots will be scooter and MC year round.

If you want more information I am sure Sally Clark would be willing to share any information she has. You can find her contact into on the City of Seattle website.
Jackie F

Post by Jackie F »

Also in Seattle
Parking rates will go down?!? That would be cool. Will there be a scooter option with the pay stations or will they bring back the coin meters?

At the time, we have 2 - 3 spaces here & there that are metered. With the pay station, we stick the receipt onto the headlight. I know scooterists who received parking tickets because someone took it and put in their car. For prevention, use a credit card and write CYCLE with a Sharpie on the receipt. Apparently, in Portland, a receipt of payment also prints out that you can use as proof. I believe we have the same stations but they are not set up that way.

Also, most of the downtown parking garages have an area for scooters & MC's for $5 a day.
OKBubbles

Post by OKBubbles »

Check the "Way to go, madtolive" thread. She's getting things done in Austin, TX!
Jrman

Post by Jrman »

I normally park up on the side walk next to a building. However, the town I live in is not a huge big city with all the parking rules and regulations. I don't block the walkways at all I just find a large place where I will be out of the way and most often in the shade. :)
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

OKBubbles wrote:Check the "Way to go, madtolive" thread. She's getting things done in Austin, TX!
I saw that, and I think I know how to do it...but as part of my argument, I want to have a list of cities that have special parking. My guess is it is all the cool ones, and I want want Cleveland to be one of the cool kids :P
Jackie F

Post by Jackie F »

Seattle was using San Francisco, Milwaukee, and possibly Portland as examples.
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

Jackie F wrote:Seattle was using San Francisco, Milwaukee, and possibly Portland as examples.
Yeah, Portland has had motorcycle parking for a while, its something like 4 spots every couple of blocks. Cost is the same as for cars unfortunately, but there's been talk of changing that.
jmsmith802

Post by jmsmith802 »

City/town name: Ann Arbor, Michigan
Do they charge to park scoots or is it free: Free
Is a special permit required: No permit, just need a scooter or motorcycle
Any idea on number of spaces city wide: 205 spaces. Most of them are small scooter sized spaces inside parking structures.
:D
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

re Portland I don't even see the point if the cost is the same. You are supposed to be encourging people to use more fuel efficient/less congesting transportation.

Anyone know about NYC, DC, Chicago? I have been to all in the last couple years and saw nothing.

I do think Seattle, Milwaukee, Ann Arbor,Portland and Austin are pretty great examples. What about SF? I am struggling to recall. There were scooters everywhere, what I cannot remember the parking situation. Same with San Diego.

thanks for keeping the examples coming. BTW in ol' Ohio which prides itself on being 15 years + behind the times, Columbus and Cincinnatti are coming on board.
Jackie F

Post by Jackie F »

I forgot to mention that Seattle has a website to show you where to find the current scooter & MC parking.

http://web1.seattle.gov/seastats/doServices.aspx

At level 4 viewing under transportation, it shows scooter & motorcycle parking spots.

Now, I do see the spots that are close to my house, but I couldn't find them in another part of town. Again, this represents 2 - 3 spots for now.
betsy q. bramble

Post by betsy q. bramble »

When I was in SF last summer, I remember seeing mc/scooter parking areas around where my hotel was, downtown.
etak

Post by etak »

NYC has nothing. Govt isn't friendly towards 2-wheelers.
Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.
-Leonard Cohen

etak

Post by etak »

NYC has nothing. Govt isn't friendly towards 2-wheelers.
Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.
-Leonard Cohen

rickko

Re: City Scooter Parking Survey

Post by rickko »

peabody99 wrote:... can you tell me:
City/town name:
Do they charge to park scoots or is it free:
is a special permit required:
Any idea on number of spaces city wide-
City/town name: San Diego, CA
Do they charge to park scoots or is it free: Free
is a special permit required: No
Any idea on number of spaces city wide- Within 6 or 7 square-block area of downtown I'd guess there are 30 to 40 spaces total. Not nearly enough! It is my opinion that one auto space should be removed from every one or two street block and replaced with five to seven scooter/mc diaganols.

Also, its OK to share a metered space with another m/c, scooter, car etc. As long as the meter has got time on it, else all vehicles in the space will get a ticket.

..rickko..
Ride it like you enjoy it!
MB member #2568