Winterizing?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

chancerbeans13

Winterizing?

Post by chancerbeans13 »

Glad I live in Florida where I don't have to worry about this foreign phrase. Not even sure we get a winter here in Jacksonville. More like a late fall, then early spring...LOL
djelliott

Post by djelliott »

At least in Ohio we don't have bugs the size of squirrels. :P
Prima pipe
UNI filter
125 Main Jet
2000RPM Stall Spring
1500RPM Clutch Springs
Dr. Pulley Variator with 11 Gram Sliders
NCY Front Forks
Prima/NCY 161cc Big Bore kit With 150 Head
KS Power GY6 Performance Springs
NCY Secondary Shieve
DennisD

Post by DennisD »

djelliott wrote:At least in Ohio we don't have bugs the size of squirrels. :P
Protein!
djelliott

Post by djelliott »

DennisD wrote:
djelliott wrote:At least in Ohio we don't have bugs the size of squirrels. :P
Protein!
HAHAHA :lol: MUSCLE MILK!
Prima pipe
UNI filter
125 Main Jet
2000RPM Stall Spring
1500RPM Clutch Springs
Dr. Pulley Variator with 11 Gram Sliders
NCY Front Forks
Prima/NCY 161cc Big Bore kit With 150 Head
KS Power GY6 Performance Springs
NCY Secondary Shieve
pcbikedude

Post by pcbikedude »

SoCal has a year-round riding also. Stabil? Battery tenders? What are those? :P
The scenery only changes for the lead scooterist.
charltons

Post by charltons »

Hey Chancerbeans, how about the weather today? I am very disgusted I couldn't ride to work today. Hopefully the really hot stuff will stay away for a while.
" You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought " - Leia
BigColdMartini

Post by BigColdMartini »

It doesn't get that cold here in the Mid-South, but I just plan on cranking the engine up once a week if it's too cold to ride. Otherwise I'll be riding as usual all winter long.

For those in really cold areas I would think letting the Buddy run for a few minutes every so often would beat any winterizing expense/equipment.
betsy q. bramble

Post by betsy q. bramble »

A battery tender is no more than $40
pugbuddy

Post by pugbuddy »

We get some wicked winters here in Oklahoma and I need to find some good winter gloves to protect my hands from the wind. Any recommendations? The best I've heard is snowmobile gloves but I haven't located an affordable pair yet....
Robert Wayne Henderson (May 16, 1932 - July 28, 2009).
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

yeah... but I have never had to board up for a hurricane
+ we get to ride snowmobiles in the winter
I love the smell of 2 cycle (year round) in the morning
DennisD

Post by DennisD »

ScootLemont wrote:yeah... but I have never had to board up for a hurricane
Shorts year round.
scooterhuze

What do you all think of the Black & Decker charger?

Post by scooterhuze »

I put my Italia in the shed today (sniff sniff)

I want to get a charger and found this one on Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Black-Decker-VEC1 ... 793&sr=8-2

Any comments?
Attachments
51EZ1Q900SL._SL500_AA280_[1].jpg
51EZ1Q900SL._SL500_AA280_[1].jpg (15.74 KiB) Viewed 1564 times
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

I'm with DJ.

I'll stick with the four months of blistering cold if it means no hurricanes, earthquakes, wildfires, mudslides, sandstorms, volcanoes, palmetto bugs, black flies, or scorpions. And I think I'm about as far away from a Disney theme park as one can be in the U.S.A.
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

Also, the winter layover knocks a bunch of cash off my insurance, and every spring, I get newly excited about scootering.
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
Kodos

Post by Kodos »

illnoise wrote: I'll stick with the four months of blistering cold if it means no hurricanes, earthquakes, wildfires, mudslides, sandstorms, volcanoes, palmetto bugs, black flies, or scorpions. And I think I'm about as far away from a Disney theme park as one can be in the U.S.A.
Amen!

I figured I'd just start mine up once a week and either ride it up and down a couple times in my garage if the streets are wet and snowy, or take it for a few blocks if it's dry. I can't leave it alone all winter; it'll get so lonely!
Kodos

Post by Kodos »

illnoise wrote:Also, the winter layover knocks a bunch of cash off my insurance, and every spring, I get newly excited about scootering.
Zuh? How does this work? And who do you have for your insurance provider?
gt1000

Post by gt1000 »

I never winterize my bikes here in Denver although lots of locals do. With the strong winter sun, I can count on riding pretty regularly throughout the worst of the winter months (December through February). I'll ride anytime there's no ice or snow on the roads and the temps are above freezing, although I've been known to ride in temps as low as 7 degrees F. Typically, those lows are on my early morning commute and the afternoon temps will be well above freezing.

Plus, in Denver, you can always count on a bunch of "Indian Summer" type days sprinkled throughout the winter. Today, for example, it's 74 degrees. That won't last of course, but we'll still have plenty of great weather between now and March. And once March rolls around, the nice days begin to outnumber the bad ones. The only problem then is all the leftover sand on the roads and the occasional Spring blizzard.
Andy

2006 Buddy 125 (orange), going to a good MB home
2009 Vespa 250 GTS (black)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800 (black)
2008 Ducati Hypermotard S, traded for Tiger 800
Kevin K

Post by Kevin K »

Winterizing videos--featuring a Buddy!

http://www.justgottascoot.com/scooterville.htm

-K
She rides: nothing yet
He rides: crappy 35 year-old Vespa (and 70cc Rattler)

Minnesota Motorcyle Monthly

My SmugMug
skotot

Post by skotot »

Ahh rub it in while you're at it, why don't you? :cry:
ScootLemont wrote:yeah... but I have never had to board up for a hurricane
Did you get hit by snow in Lemont last night? Got a few inches on the ground here in DeKalb, which feels like a ton more with the salt shortage... Think it's time for me to disconnect the ol' gal's battery.
saiello

Gas sitting around

Post by saiello »

I am a rather new buddy125 owner, Live up in Northern Vermont. I hadn't gotten around to winterizing, but watch the 1st part of the video today (that was linked above). So the part about ethanol breaking down, an clogging up the carburetor.. Should I be concerned if the scooter has been sitting for 2 months ?

If so, I can just siphon of the gas in the tank, put in new gas with the stabilizer, correct ?

Any thoughts or suggestions are most welcomed, and my thanks,
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

Incorrect. Draining gasoline from the tank wont help gas in the carb that has gummed up. That cant be drained. If you can run the bike, either at idle or ride it, I would get fresh gas, and put some stabil into it. It will help clean the carb when it burns with the gasoline. 2 months may do some gumming, but not as much as a whole 4-5 months with no stabilizer in the fuel.

Before winterizing the bike, one thing he didnt mention, you want to fill the tank up to full, and add stabil, about 1/2 ounce will do 1 gallon. You want to run the bike and ride it for a short while just to make sure the stabil get's into the carb too, otherwise just adding stabil to a gas tank, and forgetting it for 5 months, your carb will come out gummy and may not start up right away.

I've tried starting a scooter once that hadnt been used for a while, maybe just 2-3 weeks, it took probably 30-40 pushes of the electric starter to get it to idle, but then it would die when throttle was applied. Battery died. Kick started the bike, and revved it at the right time, and it lived and worked like normal. Took forever to burn and flush out the gummy bad gas in the carb. You dont want this happening in the spring when you go to ride your scooter for the first time.

I plan on riding through out the winter, but I wont be riding as much, there will be times where road conditions and snow will be everywhere for a week or two, and during this small vacation, I plan on adding stabilizer to the fuel on every fill up, just to be safe so when the bike is sitting there doing nothing all day everyday, it'll start up again.

As for the battery, best thing is to either ride once in a while and charge it up, or keep it on a tender all winter. I've had good luck with buddy batteries, the bike I mentioned earlier having starting issues still had plenty of juice inside the battery even though it hadnt been used for 2-3 weeks.