Anyone also own a Bergman?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

MarkTur

Anyone also own a Bergman?

Post by MarkTur »

I think I'm going to buy a 2009 model for Christmas. 400cc. My wife will get the Buddy.

Just want to know if you have one, how you like it, and how it compares to riding on the Buddy for shorter trips to the store, etc.

I ruled out getting an MC, they have absolutely no storage, and I'll end up with a bunch of aftermarket cases/bags etc. which really takes away from the bike itself.

I like the Honda and Yamaha cruisers, but I think the storage thing is the deciding factor for me. I think....if you disagree, tell me why.
Cya!
Mark Turkel
http://www.PalmBeachSoftware.com
http://www.BeGreenSaveTheWorld.com

Genuine Buddy 125cc
Powder Blue - (Yes, I picked "that" color cause I likes it!)

Like someone else said "Saving Gas and Sticking it to the Man!"
skullmechanic

Post by skullmechanic »

How does the Burgman compare to the Yamaha Majesty 400?
"We're here, because we're not all there."
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Anyone also own a Bergman?

Post by jrsjr »

MarkTur wrote:I think I'm going to buy a 2009 model for Christmas. 400cc.
I don't own a Burgman 400, but I did research them last year. What I heard was that they updated the motor for 2007. The pre-07 motors have a very low valve-adjustment interval and that service is pretty expensive. I can't find my notes but I remember that when they updated the motor for 2007, they increased the interval between valve adjustments. So, I was thinking about buying one, but then I tuned in to the Burgman Yahoo boards and heard that the new design Burgmans were having clutch problems. Lots of folks had a problem with the clutch squealing and not lasting. Also, many folks were getting no help from Suzuki dealers who are not fond of scooters to begin with and that just made the situation worse. I would check in at the Burgman Yahoo group and BurgmanUSA.com to make sure Suzuki has resolved that situation before I bought one.

Good luck whatever you decide to buy.
JNV

Burgman?

Post by JNV »

I have not done research on it, nor the Yamaha T-Max, but the guys at my local Yamaha shop let me ride their first T-Max. That thing is awsome. Handles great and it is very comfortable. It feels lighter than it really is and handles well at slow speeds, it does not feel bulky at all. Of, course I only got to ride it in traffic I could not get it on the highway, but it feels as solid as any motorcycle, no sign of any knd of scooter wiggle.
I seriously want one but I am waiting until I clear up some credit card debt. Any way, before you buy the Burgman I think the Yamaha is worth a look. Actually, one of my new scooter riding friends does own a Burgman; Although I have not ridden it I have sat on it and moved it out of the way a couple of times and the Yamaha still feels lighter and easier to handle if you have a small garage.
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

You might be having a hard time finding information on a "Bergman"

The Suzuki Maxi scooters available inthe US are the Burgman 400 the Burgman 650 and the Burgman 650 Executive.

I have a Burgman 650Ex and can tell you that there is no scooter near the same class.

Electronic CVT tranny with three modes...no rollers, variators etc.
True ABS..not that dangerous China dump valve ABS
Very fast acceleration and top end
Tons of storage

I could go on and on

The down side is low speed maneuverability and weight.

This is true of any 400+ cc scooter

With size and weight comes a loss of "flicability" ease of parking etc.

My Buddy is the perfect around town..short trip..up to 150 miles..scooter.

Many...but not all.. people that purchase a Burgman 400 wish they had or do buy a 650 Standard or Ex.

Keep in mind that these are tough to justify as "gas savers" I could buy over 2,000 gallons of gas at $4 per gallon for the price of an Ex.

I bought it because I wanted it!

For more information I would suggest checking out the BURGMAN forum.
http://www.burgmanusa.com/

Yes..there are other scooter forums!
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
Gevence

Post by Gevence »

I also did the same as Buddyraton.

The Buddy for riding one up around town.

The Burgman 650 for touring with gear and a passenger.

I never regretted getting the 650- in a class by itself.

Here are comparisons between the 400 & 650.

http://burgmanusa.com/forums/viewtopic. ... 05#p145605
betsy q. bramble

Post by betsy q. bramble »

what about the Piaggio X9 or BV 500? I guess I am curious how these compare to the other maxi scoots out there. I have no interest in owning one, but I always have interest in knowing more about all the scoots out there.
BeachBuzz

Post by BeachBuzz »

I have an '07 BUrgman 400 and absolutely love it. No problems with the clutch - if you're looking at an '08 they have a different clutch design - 5 shoe instead of 3.

I dont use it for running errands as much as a 2 up ride when the wife wants to go where ever it is I am going. Mostly I use it for cruisiing and weekend trips to the beach.

I've never ridden a 650, Tmax (very expensive) or the Majesty but side by side I would pick the Burgman 400 every time - just my opinion but it's perfect for my application. The 400 is significantly different than the Buddy, Blur or any 150 and if you've never ridden the larger format it will take some getting used to but it is an easy transition.
I suggest you try one somehow for fit, comfort and a test ride - you wont be sorry.
gt1000

Post by gt1000 »

If you like Honda and Yamaha cruisers our tastes are so at odds that I'm not even sure why I'm weighing in here, but here's my take anyway...

A Burgman 400's dry weight is around 430 pounds, the 650 is well over 500. I like light, slender bikes that are easy to flick around, accelerate like there's no tomorrow and stop hard enough to yank your eyeballs out of their sockets. I also believe firmly that, for the price of a maxi, you can find better values in motorcycles. So I'd look at KLR's, Versys' and the new F-650. All are available with great luggage options that you can actually take into your room. When you don't need storage, you can take the bags or cases off and save some weight.

But, it's still about "different strokes for different folks". I have friends with maxis and they love them. I sort of think scooters stop being scooters at some certain size point and, today at least, that point is anything above a 250. That could change.

Riding is about passion. Test ride a bunch of models, lurk on their forums and then buy the one that really speaks to you. It doesn't matter what anyone else thinks, it's got to move you!
Andy

2006 Buddy 125 (orange), going to a good MB home
2009 Vespa 250 GTS (black)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800 (black)
2008 Ducati Hypermotard S, traded for Tiger 800
Buddy_wannabe

Post by Buddy_wannabe »

How about Yamaha Morphous (smaller CC) or Majesty? I have never tried them and was never realy interesed in "Maxi" scooters ...... but they are kind of sparking a little intrest
I wasn't born... so much as I fell out . : The Clash
ScooterDave
Most Likely to Spontaneously Combust

Post by ScooterDave »

BuddyRaton wrote:The down side is low speed maneuverability and weight.
You can still get some pretty good air on a 400.

Jrman

Post by Jrman »

ScooterDave wrote:

That just can't be good for all that plastic on the scooter body. I can envision parts falling off after the 10th jump.
DennisD

Post by DennisD »

I have looked at the Burgman several times and really like the 400, also the Yamaha Majesty 400. I currently own and ride a Honda Helix 250 and agree on the comfort and storage but you will lose handling and ease of parking. The maxi scoots weigh a lot more also.

I rode my Helix to work today because it has greater weight and more protection from the elements and its still blowing and raining from Gustav. Ordinarily I would ride my Buddy or Vino. It is difficult to beat the Buddy or other scooters in its class for town riding. My lounge chair Helix usually goes unridden unless a longer ride or harsh weather is involved.
My m/c doesn't get ridden much. No storage, no weather protection, heavy, handles great, fun to ride but definitely not practical transportation when you consider most riding is in town, short distances (less than 35 miles). My car is automatic transmission, why would I want to shift gears on 2 wheels?

I vote for 125/150 in and around town.

Note: The Yamaha 250 Morphous has been discontinued.
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

In general maxi scoot shandle better than comparable size MCs. The motors are mounted much lower lowering the center of gravity. The Burgman 650 is very nimble...at speed.

The helix is one of my favorite scooters that I have never owned. My neighbor has one with about 25k on it. The seat is all mtorn up, the plastic is stained...and it runs great!

I didn't know the Morphus had been discontinued. I have read that they are a good cruiser..especially for shorter people, but that the low speed handling left a lot to be desired. I do like the looks of them though...like a Japanese low rider scoot!

Why shift a 2 wheeler...vintage! They are just too much fun!
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

ScooterDave wrote:

That's just wrong! :rofl:
www.teamscootertrash.com

MarkTur

Post by MarkTur »

In the next frame, you see the guy being launched from the seat when the shocks rebound! DOH!

Can't imagine jumping it without standing up...ouch!

I'm also looking at the Honda Shadow Aero - really nice bike, 750cc....many hard choices, Young Luke...
Cya!
Mark Turkel

Genuine Buddy 125cc

Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

MarkTur wrote:
I'm also looking at the Honda Shadow Aero - really nice bike, 750cc...
+1

To each his own. Maxi-scoots don't do it for me. If I'm looking for a bike to ride long distances at higher speeds, I'd also take a hard look at the Shadow. (Course I'm crazy, I ride a Ural)
DennisD

Post by DennisD »

Dooglas wrote:
MarkTur wrote:
I'm also looking at the Honda Shadow Aero - really nice bike, 750cc...
+1

To each his own. Maxi-scoots don't do it for me. If I'm looking for a bike to ride long distances at higher speeds, I'd also take a hard look at the Shadow. (Course I'm crazy, I ride a Ural)
Not so crazy. Urals are really cool. I know a girl who has one and I try once in a while to get her to sell the Ural to me. No luck so far. Love the sidecar.
The Honda Shadow is the biggest seller that Honda has and the Shadow Spirit is the greatest competition for the Sportster. Honda dependability is tough to beat.
Eazy

Post by Eazy »

How is the burgman on the freeway?

At speeds above 75 for a long time?
-Ian Follow Me
'08 Genuine Stella - "totaled"
'06 Honda Elite 80 - "bullet proof"
Eazy Scoots.
MarkTur

Post by MarkTur »

Yeah, I have never had a Honda product with any type of problem, not a fart or hiccup in: generator, Civic (2), Accord, nor my Acura MDX. Good stuff...so I really have not a concern with any Honda motorcycle.

So now I'm trying to decide on color...Black, Red (but it's a dark red), or the Red/White combo.

And I'm definintely not getting rid of my Buddy - it's not competition, and I really love it!
Cya!
Mark Turkel

Genuine Buddy 125cc

DennisD

Post by DennisD »

Eazy wrote:How is the burgman on the freeway?

At speeds above 75 for a long time?
Its made for it. There is a forum for maxi scoots at http://www.maxi-scoots.com/postnuke/index.php. It is for all maxi scooters and all brands are owned and discussed. These guys do lots of road miles. The 400 Burgman will ride at 75-80 all day long according to a friend that has one. I think you'll find the forum interesting.
DennisD

Post by DennisD »

MarkTur wrote:Yeah, I have never had a Honda product with any type of problem, not a fart or hiccup in: generator, Civic (2), Accord, nor my Acura MDX. Good stuff...so I really have not a concern with any Honda motorcycle.

So now I'm trying to decide on color...Black, Red (but it's a dark red), or the Red/White combo.

And I'm definintely not getting rid of my Buddy - it's not competition, and I really love it!
Color is personal preference. I tend to like solids, no two tone, although I did kinda like the green/white combo on an older Aero. The dark red Shadow Spirit is nice. A friend at work had one and regrets selling it. Black is just black. Its not even close to being anything like why red is red. :lol:

I'm sorry, I just couldn't help myself. :cry: