What's a good cover?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

chloefpuff

What's a good cover?

Post by chloefpuff »

Can you guys and gals recommend a cover for my Buddy 50? I want to be affordable (i.e. cheap) and easy to keep under the seat.

TIA!
docutech

Post by docutech »

Stay away from Dowco. I bought one and a week later the stitching that holds the rubber band unraveled. I am still waiting on a replacement from Dowco.

Remember, you get what you pay for...
Howardr

Post by Howardr »

I've seen lots of posts that say a cover will keep people from messing with your scoot. My question: Do you have to wait until the muffler cools off before you put the cover on?

Howard
Iron Butt Association Member Number 42256
Club - The Sky Island Riders.
Publisher: The Scooter 'Zine thescooterzine.com
docutech

Post by docutech »

No, the Dowco and other nicer covers have a heat resistant lining in the muffler area. You can throw it on with the muffler being hot.
DennisD

Post by DennisD »

Howardr wrote:I've seen lots of posts that say a cover will keep people from messing with your scoot. My question: Do you have to wait until the muffler cools off before you put the cover on?

Howard
docutech wrote:No, the Dowco and other nicer covers have a heat resistant lining in the muffler area. You can throw it on with the muffler being hot.
Be careful, some heat resistant linings aren't what they should be. The heat resistant lining on my cover has been replaced with a large hole that looks like melted plastic around the edges. I would agree that this is an area where you get what you pay for. The cover is still usable but my poor muffler has to withstand the elements now while the rest of the scooter enjoys a comfortable cover. :cry:
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

I like Jawbox's cover of Tori Amos' "Cornflake Girl:"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7SmTUbfCP0
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
chloefpuff

Post by chloefpuff »

illnoise wrote:I like Jawbox's cover of Tori Amos' "Cornflake Girl:"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7SmTUbfCP0
smartypants

and I like Hendrix's cover of Dylan's All Along the Watchtower

(hijacking my own thread)
Portland_Rider
Location: Free Territory of the Pacific Northwest (Kalifornia refugee)

covers can work

Post by Portland_Rider »

Howardr wrote:I've seen lots of posts that say a cover will keep people from messing with your scoot. My question: Do you have to wait until the muffler cools off before you put the cover on?

Howard

I have too posted about covers being an additional deterrent from thieves and vandals.

For the record, I can imagine how a cover can provide an additional barrier, actually more of a mental one, that might keep a thief (or vandal) going by from stopping and peaking underneath to see if the scooter/cycle is a worthwhile model that they are after. A cover does not prevent theft by itself from a determined thief. Some punks or others might simply pass-by a boring grey sheet covered object as compared to being drawn towards a flashy sexy colored 'toy' such as a good-looking scooter or cycle.

Consider what catches your eye and what does not as you walk down or drive down a street.

Covers also protect the scooter somewhat from the elements.

PR
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

Supposedly, Xena is coming out with a scooter cover. But since Xena Lock Guy posted that a few weeks ago, I haven't heard anything since. He did say it had a heat-shield for the hot exhaust.
Portland_Rider

Xena is a company that gives customer support

Post by Portland_Rider »

k1dude wrote:Supposedly, Xena is coming out with a scooter cover. But since Xena Lock Guy posted that a few weeks ago, I haven't heard anything since. He did say it had a heat-shield for the hot exhaust.

K1dude,

I'll have to take a look at that cover.

Last week, I actually spoke with the owner of Xena who is a British man. Long-story. He is now in America to help push the development of the American marketplace. We had a very interesting conversation.

PR
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

One more thing, Xena Lock Guy said the Xena cover would sell for $25. That's a perfect price IMHO. $15 I'd think it was cheap crap, $35 and it's getting a little rich for my taste. $25? Perfect.
Jessica

Post by Jessica »

I bought this cover from Scooterworks. It's a Prima, and it comes in a handy storage bag. It also has an optional zip-out part for a top case if you have it.

http://www.scooterworks.com/Scooter_Cov ... 66C291.cfm

It doesn't have anything different over where the muffler is. I haven't tried putting it on there when it's hot. I typically just wait a bit and run back out there to cover it after it cools.
Modern Buddy Member #2753
<a href="http://www.raleighscooter.org/index.html">Raleigh Scooter Organization</a> #45
Official S.P.A.Z. Member
hcstrider

Post by hcstrider »

Howard
I usually don’t cover the muffler because the muffler is still pretty hot when I put the cover on my Buddy. I am usually rushing to catch the bus into work and I don't have time to wait for the muffler to cool so I just lock it, cover it and then get on the bus. I have the same Buddy specific cover that Jessica has and this cover does not have a heat resistance lining around the muffler so I just leave the muffler uncovered/exposed. Having the muffler uncovered is fine with me, I mostly just want to keep the bird droppings and dirt off of my Buddy.
Wayne
The safest rule, no ifs or buts
Just drive like everyone else is nuts! (Burma Shave)
coffeekittie

Post by coffeekittie »

I bought a cheap half-cover (for motorcycles) from :oops: WalMart :oops: that has the heat resistant part. Works really well for the smaller Buddy :) Has grommets with attached bungie cords to use to attach it to the scooter too. Silver grey and says Classic Motorgear on it. I put it on when the engine is hot, don't have a problem. I also like the fact that it doesn't fully encase the scoot, as I don't want condensation. It comes with an attached stuff sack, and squashes up quite small.
Last edited by coffeekittie on Tue Sep 09, 2008 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"There are two means of refuge from the misery of life - music and cats."
- Albert Schweitzer

See me and my cool cats at www.justcatshotel.com
www.olygeek.com
MarkTur

Post by MarkTur »

I just bought some of that special paint from the "Coyote", and now my scoot looks like a tunnel. Sometimes a train will come out with the Roadrunner driving it, and runs over the bad guys! :)

Seriously...
I read somewhere that the large barbeque covers from Sears work great, too, and the price is right.

Me, I keep my Buddy in the garage...and I have a little towel to wipe off the rain if it gets rained on. At work, there's an outside stairs that provides perfect shelter from the rain and sun...and I can see it from my window. (And I can't stop looking at it all day long, too!)
Cya!
Mark Turkel
http://www.PalmBeachSoftware.com
http://www.BeGreenSaveTheWorld.com

Genuine Buddy 125cc
Powder Blue - (Yes, I picked "that" color cause I likes it!)

Like someone else said "Saving Gas and Sticking it to the Man!"
tunseeker1

Post by tunseeker1 »

Jessica wrote:I bought this cover from Scooterworks. It's a Prima, and it comes in a handy storage bag. It also has an optional zip-out part for a top case if you have it.

It doesn't have anything different over where the muffler is. I haven't tried putting it on there when it's hot. I typically just wait a bit and run back out there to cover it after it cools.
Does that cover fit over a windshield?

Any better pictures of it?
Jessica

Post by Jessica »

I don't think you'd be able to get it over a windshield. I'd be happy to post some pics of it on my scoot this week. Check back later.
Modern Buddy Member #2753
<a href="http://www.raleighscooter.org/index.html">Raleigh Scooter Organization</a> #45
Official S.P.A.Z. Member
docutech

Post by docutech »

The Dowco large will accommodate a windshield and a top case. Quality is an issue for me though.
mandyscoots

Post by mandyscoots »

Not to be redneck but...
The lady I bought my scooter from, just bought an extra large sized BBQ grill cover, it fits over it well and is also heat resistant. Not sure how much they cost but It has really worked well for my buddy.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

I've got a $10 cheapie cover bought off eBay. I also leave the muffler uncovered if it's hot. You do get what you pay for, but this does exactly what I need and expect it to so I really don;t have any complaints.

I only use it if I'm leaving my scoot unridden for more than a couple days. Even then, I'll park in my garage (which is pretty dusty). So I really haven't needed anything more than this. If we get another scooter I'll use it more regularly. However, there aren't many times when I have to park outside in one place all day and rain isn't that much of a problem here. When it does rain and I have to park outside, I usually just cover the seat with a garbage bag.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
hcstrider

Post by hcstrider »

tunseeker1 wrote:
Jessica wrote:I bought this cover from Scooterworks. It's a Prima, and it comes in a handy storage bag. It also has an optional zip-out part for a top case if you have it.

Does that cover fit over a windshield?

Any better pictures of it?
My Buddy has the Cuppini short windscreen (model WSBUD3) and the Buddy/Rattler/Blur scooter cover (model SC5) fits like it was custom made for this windscreen. My Buddy also has the Buddy top case and the scooter cover fits like it was custom made for this top case. I imagine that if you had a larger top case or a milk crate then the scooter cover may not fit because the scooter cover is a snug fit over the relatively small Buddy top case.
Wayne
audrey

Post by audrey »

I have the genuine cover I bought when I first got my scooter a few months back. It is probably the same as the scooterworks one. The cover has elastic around the edging to hold it tightly onto the scooter, plus a zip out pouch for the top case.

I have been covering and scooter including the muffler right when I get off of my scooter at home. So it is very hot. But the cover has not melted or shown and signs to distress.
hcstrider

Post by hcstrider »

audrey wrote:I have the genuine cover I bought when I first got my scooter a few months back. It is probably the same as the scooterworks one. The cover has elastic around the edging to hold it tightly onto the scooter, plus a zip out pouch for the top case.

I have been covering and scooter including the muffler right when I get off of my scooter at home. So it is very hot. But the cover has not melted or shown and signs to distress.
It’s the same cover. It is good to hear that you just cover your Buddy immediately without waiting for the muffler to cool and the cover is just fine. That gives me some confidence that I can cover the entire scooter, including the muffler. My Buddy’s engine has usually been off for about 10 minutes by the time I put the cover on but since the muffler is still too hot to touch I have not pulled the cover over the muffler.
Wayne
armacham

Post by armacham »

docutech wrote:Stay away from Dowco. I bought one and a week later the stitching that holds the rubber band unraveled. I am still waiting on a replacement from Dowco.

Remember, you get what you pay for...
mine wore through where they touch the mirror. This is after only having it for about 2 months. SHould I contact them for a warranty claim?
chloefpuff

Post by chloefpuff »

mandyscoots wrote:Not to be redneck but...
The lady I bought my scooter from, just bought an extra large sized BBQ grill cover, it fits over it well and is also heat resistant. Not sure how much they cost but It has really worked well for my buddy.
Do you use it for storage only or do you use it when you park your Buddy when you're out ? I'm looking to carry mine in the pet carrier and I wonder how portable it is.
docutech

Post by docutech »

armacham wrote:mine wore through where they touch the mirror. This is after only having it for about 2 months. SHould I contact them for a warranty claim?
Absolutely. They will send you a new one once they receive your damaged one. I have a contact at Dowco I will PM you his info.
armacham

Post by armacham »

docutech wrote:
armacham wrote:mine wore through where they touch the mirror. This is after only having it for about 2 months. SHould I contact them for a warranty claim?
Absolutely. They will send you a new one once they receive your damaged one. I have a contact at Dowco I will PM you his info.
yeah it was really windy for a couple weeks here and it wore through the cover from rubbing on the mirror I think.
bunny

Post by bunny »

I got the Prima cover with the topcase zip out section for my birthday. It is cut to fit over the windscreen AND the mirrors. That's usually how I know I've got it in the right direction. When you lay it out the first time, the front part looks like an ad for Disney.

As for the muffler, I've been covering mine like one of those half-tops I've seen on cruisers. I just cover the top half of the scooter. Windscreen, mirrors, over the headlight and handlebars. In the back I cover the topcase. THe elastic holds it in place quite well (I work for a major airport so it's really windy at times) and the seat is covered.

That's really all I need covered to begin with, so it's a good deal and I don't worry about my muffler.
Yes, it's fast. No, you can't ride it.

k1dude

Post by k1dude »

bunny wrote:THe elastic holds it in place quite well (I work for a major airport so it's really windy at times) and the seat is covered.

That's really all I need covered to begin with, so it's a good deal and I don't worry about my muffler.
Ah. That's why you work in Useless. Be careful, when that wind gets whipping, it can get that cover flapping like crazy and it'll take your paint off. It also might knock the scooter over because the cover acts like a sail. If you know it's going to be really windy, sometimes it's better leaving the cover off.
Portland_Rider

prima sc3 covers Buddy cleanly and has expandable zippers

Post by Portland_Rider »

I use the Prima SC3.

The good: This cover is claimed by the inside sales people who answer the phones at scooterworks to be larger than the other cover which is also made for a Buddy type of body. It does have the zip out cover to expand and cover a windshield (though I'm not sure what size shield). Without using the zip out section, it still works fine covering my Budd 150's mirrors and down to hug the front fender. The cover also has a zip out section to handle a rear-rack which I'm using to cover my Prima basket 13x13x10 and then down to cover the muffler, gear box, and around the rear fender.

The bad: the two plastic male links that join under the cover to hold it in place with the female ends are cheap and broke on me the first and second time that I used it. Bunji cords are going to be needed to link the two sides under the Buddy's belly.

On each side of the gey cover is a large fancy-script 'Prima' in black letters. I covered it with grey duck tape since I don't want to tease punks into wondering what a 'Prima' cover might be hiding.

FYI, the salespeople at scooterworks also claimed the prima basket would fit right onto and align with the Buddy rear rack. It does not fit perfectly by a long-shot and they stretched the truth, but it does work decently and it looks great (if you turn the basket 90-degrees) and am using 2/4 brackets to hold the basket onto the rack.