OT: My Two Favorite Things Together... Beer and Scooters...

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

MikieTaps

OT: My Two Favorite Things Together... Beer and Scooters...

Post by MikieTaps »

I am drinking at home... some GREAT beer... with nowhere to go... no SUI for me! :D

MikieTaps

Post by MikieTaps »

and if you were wondering yes... that is beer that comes in a CERAMIC bottle... its frak awesome.
eldoroddo

Post by eldoroddo »

JEEZUS!

What's the alcohol content of that stuff?

And wheredjagit the cool pint glass?
MikieTaps

Post by MikieTaps »

9.5% and i got it at my dealer ducati seattle. but i think you can get it on scooterworks.com also

The beer is Rogue Brewery Imperial IPA
eldoroddo

Post by eldoroddo »

I'll look for it at BevMo.

:D
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

You can get the pint glasses from scooterworks.com.

More PNW novelty beer, I see. :roll:
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
MikieTaps

Post by MikieTaps »

ericalm wrote:
More PNW novelty beer, I see. :roll:
someone is jealous...
MikieTaps

Post by MikieTaps »

mmmmm the other beer i am drinking tonite.

MyComputerSaidKill

Post by MyComputerSaidKill »

I love Rogue's Dead Guy Ale, but have yet to try anything else of theirs.
Orange Guy

Post by Orange Guy »

Here's the current selection in the fridge:

There is always New Glarus Spotted Cow on hand. A friend and I take turns making the 1.5 hour trip to Wisconsin to stock up.
I suppose I should be upset, even feel violated, but I'm not. No, in fact, I think this is a friendly message, like "Hey, wanna play?" and yes I want to play. I really really do.

Orange Guy, Inc.
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

Fat Tire... there we go.

Can't get it down here... :x
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

MyComputerSaidKill wrote:I love Rogue's Dead Guy Ale, but have yet to try anything else of theirs.
I don't think Rogue makes a bad beer. I like the Stout.
madtolive

Post by madtolive »

doesn't anybody drink classic old bud light anymore?

me neither. personally, i prefer shiner. you can't beat the texan beers. yeehaw!
sunil: "And if you spend 40 dollars making a pizza then you sir are a retard."
ericalm: "No name calling, please. Maybe he's using truffles and top-grade meats."
Jessica

Post by Jessica »

MyComputerSaidKill wrote:I love Rogue's Dead Guy Ale, but have yet to try anything else of theirs.
Yeah, that's stuff's pretty decent.
Modern Buddy Member #2753
<a href="http://www.raleighscooter.org/index.html">Raleigh Scooter Organization</a> #45
Official S.P.A.Z. Member
Alix B

Post by Alix B »

New Glarus--check.
Dead Guy Ale--check

I really like the Rogue Hazelnut Brown.

oh, Flat tire--it's ok. There is a lot of hype about it that I don't agree with....

I'm just happy that I found a case of Newcastle for $14 last night.
Last edited by Alix B on Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Orange Guy

Post by Orange Guy »

Alix B wrote:oh, Flat tire--it's ok. There is a lot of hype about it that I agree with....
Now that I can get it readily at my local grocery store, it's lost some of its appeal.

Another one I enjoy is Xingu.
I suppose I should be upset, even feel violated, but I'm not. No, in fact, I think this is a friendly message, like "Hey, wanna play?" and yes I want to play. I really really do.

Orange Guy, Inc.
charltons

Post by charltons »

madtolive wrote:doesn't anybody drink classic old bud light anymore?

not really. since I've been stationed in Germany I much prefer imports and microbrews. Not that I won't drink bud light at all... the lime BL is pretty good.

me neither. personally, i prefer shiner. you can't beat the texan beers. yeehaw!
" You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought " - Leia
gt1000

Post by gt1000 »

oh, Flat tire--it's ok. There is a lot of hype about it that I don't agree with....
Fat Tire is New Belgium's populist brew. If you really want a taste of what these guys are capable of brewing, try Trippel Ale, La Folie wood aged beer, 1554 black ale or Abbey Belgian style ale. Their Blue Paddle Pils is pretty special as well.

Given the complexity and intensity of the above brews, it's really kind of sad that Fat Tire is the one they're known for. It's good, but some of their other brews are ethereal.
Andy

2006 Buddy 125 (orange), going to a good MB home
2009 Vespa 250 GTS (black)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800 (black)
2008 Ducati Hypermotard S, traded for Tiger 800
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

I'm making a list for a trip to the store tonight...
emoboy44

Post by emoboy44 »

Orange Guy wrote:Here's the current selection in the fridge:

There is always New Glarus Spotted Cow on hand. A friend and I take turns making the 1.5 hour trip to Wisconsin to stock up.
thanks for the plug. Most bars in brat town have this on tap!
MMMMMMMMMMMMM
R.McLeod

Post by R.McLeod »

Alix B wrote:I'm just happy that I found a case of Newcastle for $14 last night.
I love Newcastle. For our wedding we found cases for $10 and bought the store out. Newcastles and Mojitos were the headlining drinks for the night.

A beer I just recently stumbled on is Kostritzer Schwarzbier. It's a black lager from Germany and I'm starting to see it more often now at liquor stores and Whole Foods. It's quite smooth for such a dark beer and not heavy.

Also while we were in Vancouver, BC we fell in love with Sleeman's Honey Brown Lager. I could drink these all day everyday. We stuffed our luggage with as many as we could for the trip back. I wish I could get my hands on some here.
Go Team Venture!
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

madtolive wrote:me neither. personally, i prefer shiner. you can't beat the texan beers. yeehaw!
I don't care what they do to the bottle, it's still the best beer made in America as far as I'm concerned. (Just stay away from the cans, ugh.) I was weened on Shiner Bock from the age of 16 or so. It was hard to get when I first moved to CA so we had to keep track of which stores had it and the rare bar that served it on tap. We also had a devil of time getting it from a distributor to serve at my wedding.

When friends are traveling to Texas and mention drinking Lone Star, I bop them in the head and let them know that Texans don't touch the stuff and tell them to drink Shiner instead.

Ubiquity doesn't make a beer any less enjoyable, IMHO, and I'm glad for the options available in the big grocery store these days, including Shiner which is now widely available. I still like Newcastle, Bass, Red Hook, Red Stripe, Rolling Rock, Pilsner Urquell, Guiness and many others commonly available. I dislike most American pale lagers simply due to taste (most seem flavorless or bitter) and don;t drink anything that needs a squeeze of lime to be palatable. For some reason, many microbrews—especially from brewpubs—give me a vicious headache. Maybe someone familiar with the brewing process can explain why.

I have a lot of Shiner Bock-related stories (;)) but this is one of my favorites; it happened in Texas, of course. I'm cruising the beer aisle in my local store when a pair of blue collar country boys amble up to do the same. I grab a 12-pack of Shiner bottles and one of the guys says, "Hey, Is that any good?" I reply, "Yeah, best beer you can buy and it's made in Texas." The guy nods, but as I'm walking away, his friend nudges him and says, "That there's college beer."
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Racenut

Post by Racenut »

Friend of ours gave me a case of Fat Tire. I had it at their house once and liked it, then helped him with some work so he thanked me.

Anyway, I got about half way through the case and I'm done. Now I'm drinking it just because it's there, can't wait for it to be gone so I can get something else. I decided it's good with spicy oriental food and that's about it.

But then I'm not much of a beer drinker. I don't like it chewy. Prefer light and refreshing. Current favorite is Kirin Ichiban but ti's kinda hard to find around here.

Maybe Fat Tire would taste better from a scooter glass?
alienmeatsack

Post by alienmeatsack »

I think I am the only person in the world who drinks Bud Dry and likes it. :D

One of my good friends drinks all those other beers and won't touch Bud or anything like it. Me, I prefer good old Bud. Cheap and does the trick.

Why pay $8-10 for a 6pack when I get a 6pack for under $4 :D
Dead Bunny SC | Tumblr: spazscooter | Twitter: @SPAZ_Scooter | Twitter: @DeadBunnySC
email: spazscooter@gmail.com
MikieTaps

Post by MikieTaps »

alienmeatsack wrote:
Why pay $8-10 for a 6pack when I get a 6pack for under $4 :D
Cause the $10 6-pack... or if you look at the top picture... $14 for 1 750ml bottle... Will taste deliscious... and probably has twice the alcohol content :twisted:
alienmeatsack

Post by alienmeatsack »

I like my beers, old faithful like. I know how long each takes to drink. I know how long before it gets too warm to drink. And I know how drunk it gets me, so I know when I should stop.

Call me old fashioned, call me a wimp. :D :pPPPp
Dead Bunny SC | Tumblr: spazscooter | Twitter: @SPAZ_Scooter | Twitter: @DeadBunnySC
ScooterTrash

Post by ScooterTrash »

This is what I keep on tap
MikieTaps

Post by MikieTaps »

ScooterTrash wrote:This is what I keep on tap
you need help. YA meetings for you! :lol:
alienmeatsack

Post by alienmeatsack »

And so you don't think I am a complete waste of beer, I have had some of those fancy beers before like Cherry Wheat, some kind of Ale, Canon (Dutch, tasted like a chocolate milk shake), and my fave non-Bud, Negro Modello. (sp)
eldoroddo

Post by eldoroddo »

MikieTaps wrote:
ScooterTrash wrote:This is what I keep on tap
you need help. YA meetings for you! :lol:
I think you can mix that with vodka...kinda like a Black Russian.
The kids love it.
emoboy44

Post by emoboy44 »

alienmeatsack wrote:I like my beers, old faithful like. I know how long each takes to drink. I know how long before it gets too warm to drink. And I know how drunk it gets me, so I know when I should stop.

Call me old fashioned, call me a wimp. :D :pPPPp
old fashioned wimp! :wink:
MMMMMMMMMMMMM
alienmeatsack

Post by alienmeatsack »

Actually, I think that is the name of a drink! :D
ScooterMcGee

Post by ScooterMcGee »

Can I get a what what from my beer snob crew.
And if the county we invented will fall from grace
I guess we'll have to fly away in our own space...Think Locally ..F*ck Globally
I was once asked If I were a tattoo what would I be?... I responded Id be a teardrop Tattoo under a bloodshot eye.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

ScooterMcGee wrote:Can I get a what what from my beer snob crew.
But… but…
Attachments
This helmet is not DOT, SNELL or even ECE certified or approved.
This helmet is not DOT, SNELL or even ECE certified or approved.
darth-vader-bock.jpg (34.39 KiB) Viewed 1922 times
ScooterMcGee

Post by ScooterMcGee »

And if the county we invented will fall from grace
I guess we'll have to fly away in our own space...Think Locally ..F*ck Globally
I was once asked If I were a tattoo what would I be?... I responded Id be a teardrop Tattoo under a bloodshot eye.
madtolive

Post by madtolive »

maybe those cowboys were from wyoming, eric. or like, montana. or you know, some other god awful place that wasn't fortunate enough to be texas. :wink:

i also enjoy:

from guatemala.
sunil: "And if you spend 40 dollars making a pizza then you sir are a retard."
ericalm: "No name calling, please. Maybe he's using truffles and top-grade meats."
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

madtolive wrote:doesn't anybody drink classic old bud light anymore?

Beat me to it! But I do love me some Yuppybräu, too. And Belgian ales, mmmm.... Okeh, fine, ya got me -- I just love beer! :D
ModBud #442
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

polianarchy wrote:Yuppybräu
:rofl:
pugbuddy

Post by pugbuddy »

I like Texas women that have had a lot of beer--doesn't matter what kind.... :D

I'm a Guiness drinker with an occassional sappy light hard apple cider when I'm in the mood for it. I won some Choc Beer Minor's Mishap at the Scooter Raffle and it is ok, although a bit heavy for my taste.
Robert Wayne Henderson (May 16, 1932 - July 28, 2009).
gt1000

Post by gt1000 »

Truth be told, we're very lucky to have the splendid variety of beers we have today. As little as 20 years ago, things were much different. I think we have to thank the proliferation of brewpubs leading to new microbreweries cropping up in every state. Also, events like the Great American Beerfest really help spread the word. I've had fabulous beers brewed on the premises in towns as diverse as Portland, ME, Bozeman, MT, Spokane, WA and pretty much every large city I've visited in the past 15 years. Colorado (like WA, OR and CA) is a hotbed of micros, with distinctive breweries all over the state. Factor in all the great imports and it's impossible to choose a real favorite.

So, here's a question for the beer lovers out there. If you could only have two beers, which would you choose? For me, it would come down to Guinness and any fine Czech Pils. Guinness is pure magic in a glass, especially on tap. And nothing beats a really great Pils for pure drinkability.

I was gonna just pick one, but I couldn't. Any civilized world should be capable of producing one good dark and one good light beer.

Ooh, forgot about the ales...
Andy

Alix B

Post by Alix B »

ericalm wrote: For some reason, many microbrews—especially from brewpubs—give me a vicious headache. Maybe someone familiar with the brewing process can explain why.
Live Organisms? Yeast?Sugar? Priming Agent? Fermentation process? Not pasteurized (cask conditioned) sometimes? Allergy to certain wheat? All of the above?

I brewed with my roomie once, and our brew kit was outdated--but we hoped that wouldn't matter.
Sadly, after the process we had to throw it away--tasted yummy, gave us headaches and bum stomachs. :cry:

polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

gt1000 wrote:If you could only have two beers, which would you choose?
One for my left hand and one for my right hand? Heh. Shiner Bock and whatever you're having? Okeh, but seriously folks. Umm...Shiner Bock, and Franziskaner Hefe-Weisse Dunkel. :D But the answer to the second beer will change every few months. Why limit myself? This is two thousand hate, baybee!

Hey gt1000, my fellow librarian, have you read The Great Beer Trek by Stephen Morris? It's a lovingly written history detailing a couple's journey to taste every American beer they can.
ModBud #442
Jessica

Post by Jessica »

My British friend introduced me to Strongbow this past weekend. That's ROCKIN' cider!!!! Mmmmmmm :D
Modern Buddy Member #2753
<a href="http://www.raleighscooter.org/index.html">Raleigh Scooter Organization</a> #45
Official S.P.A.Z. Member
knucklestar

Post by knucklestar »

ScooterMcGee wrote:Image

Can I get a what what from my beer snob crew.
How is that vanilla porter? I was going to get it last night but am always wary of vanilla/chocolate/milk/fruit beers. Though, Left Hand Milk Stouts are ridiculously yummy.
gt1000

Post by gt1000 »

Hey gt1000, my fellow librarian, have you read The Great Beer Trek by Stephen Morris? It's a lovingly written history detailing a couple's journey to taste every American beer they can.
I have not, but I'm always looking for titles to add to my list. Thanks for the recommendation!

Yet another Shiner fan. I haven't had Shiner for a few months. I think I'll need to reacquaint myself with this stuff...
Andy

ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

gt1000 wrote:Yet another Shiner fan. I haven't had Shiner for a few months. I think I'll need to reacquaint myself with this stuff...
The Austinites should organize a Shiner brewery ride!

In the old days, there was a bar there, tended by an old guy named Earl. If you went up and said, "I'll have a beer, Earl," he'd ignore you. If you said, "I'll have a Shiner, Earl," he'd pour. If there's an old guy named Earl tending there now, he's either a phony, a clone, or Earl Jr. 'cause the original would be about 110 by now. :)
Portland_Rider
Location: Free Territory of the Pacific Northwest (Kalifornia refugee)

Belmont Station in Portland 1000 different Beers

Post by Portland_Rider »

Mikie,

When you come down to Portland to visit with your Buddy cousins someday, you may like to check-out Belmont Station that has 1000 beers to choose from along with a tasting room where you can order some grub. FYI, I'm not advocating drinking and riding: you'll need to crash in Portland if you go to this place.

The quality at this place is high with lots of great brews. It is part beer store, beer cafe and taste center.

http://www.belmont-station.com/

PR
MikieTaps

Post by MikieTaps »

mmmmmmmm beer....

I went to a Trapist Ale House tonite in Fremont... There was something wild like several hundred different bottles of beers there... :shock:
Ed Hit

Post by Ed Hit »

Unibroue has some great stuff.

Trader Joes actually has a 2007 vintage trader joe ale (brewed by Unibroue) for about $5 per 22ox bottle. Good stuff and I must have snapped up about 10 of them!

Need to figure out a place to get more Rogue stuff here.
verdecalavera

Post by verdecalavera »

one of these things is not like the other: