UPDATE: Buddy, Lambretta, Beer, Cops, Bolt Cutters, etc

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

siobhan

UPDATE: Buddy, Lambretta, Beer, Cops, Bolt Cutters, etc

Post by siobhan »

UPDATE:
So the b/f was telling me a story tonight related to this. On the night in question, he was drinking the special brew on cask Belgian Strawberry. He was in the pub recently and the bartender was telling him that her husband was in the following Monday after this crazy night, had some of the same cask brew, and was violently ill and disoriented in the bar, totally out of it. This guy is the bartender's husband and soon to be first-time dad (as well as a fellow scooterist with a Honda Met). She would never have allowed the father of her soon-to-be-new-son drink too much at her place of work. So we've decided there was something up with this cask that reacted terribly with some folks' dispositions. I'm glad I didn't have any!

Oh the Lammy is awesome btw.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok, I just had to share tonight's story. It involves scooters, beer, police, bolt cutters, neighbors, fisherman at the yacht club (non-members), more neighbors, more police and I'm not asleep yet.

This is the first week of the semester on the campus where I work. For those of you in the education field, first week is beyond crazy. Think Black Friday, day after day after day. Today is Friday and I just left the stack of "I gotta do this" on my desk and walked out at 4.30pm.

I rode home the long way past the pub where my b/f likes to go on Fridays (he doesn't work Fridays) and his scoot wasn't there. I went home and he was putting on his helmet, sheepishly, explaining that he forgot to go to the bank and make the deposit like I asked this morning. "Oh great," I said, "I'll come with" and off we go, me on my Buddy and him on the '58 Lammy (this is an important detail).

After the bank I say, "So, shall we visit Julie?" (she's the bartender at the Friday place). He replies, "Yeah, Tommy has the Triumph today!" I had no idea how many he'd had before the bank trip. I wish I had known (this is foreshadowing).

We're in the pub for awhile, talking with Tommy who's showing me his Cortech jacket (his bike has been in the shop forever) in a 3X (he's a big guy...I grabbed his hand and asked how he ever finds gloves). He invited me to straddle the Triumph. I let him take the Bud for a spin. He liked the get-up-and-go, and then said "when you're ready, you need to take out the Triumph" [read: having had no alcohol].

Later Chris arrives with his Creamsicle Triumph Bonneville. It's a nice machine. We talk license plate holders (he has the custom front fender curved plate with the same numbers as his real plate) and his throttle resty thing (I can't think of the name now, I'm tired).

We're all ready to head out, and he gets on the Bonneville, me on the Bud and my b/f on the Lammy. The Bonnie is screaming; I toot my Stebel and Chris toots his Stebel back! He liked that it was standard (I have an International). My b/f push starts the Lammy (it's acting up, ever heard of that with a FIFTY YEAR OLD bike?!) and off we all go. Chris heads off toward his home; we head off in our direction. As we're cruising, I notice the b/f seems hesitant, but I still follow normally. We come to a light and the bike is acting up (it doesn't like to be stopped) and all of a sudden he veers to the right to head up a ramp toward the Interstate. We're in town; we live in town; where the hell are you going? Oh, and by this time he's pushing it up the ramp to jump start it.

I pull up onto the sidewalk (this is a weird part of town where this is nothing but overpasses, streets, and empty parking lots) and run towards him screaming "What are you doing? Wrong way, wrong way! Get off the ramp!". Then I look and he tips over, Lammy on top. "Sheesh!" I think. What is going on? I run over and help him up and say, "We're going to back the Lammy down the ramp and I'll push him up onto the sidewalk. Then we're going to ride home on my scoot and I'll come back with the locks and lock up the Lammy overnight." He finally understood...up until the 'we're leaving the Lammy alone while we scoot home' part. "Oh, I'll push it home." (We're 2 miles from home and it involves a bridge and there will be no pushing.)

I finally convinced him to get on the back of the Buddy and off we go. He is the worst passenger in the world. First light I'm screaming "Don't put your feet down!". He leans all wrong and isn't holding on. As we ride I'm giving instructions. "Hold on", "we're coming to a stop sign, I'm going to stop, don't put your feet down, lean forward."

Now you have to understand...this is Friday night around 8:30pm in the club district. The cops are everywhere.

By some miracle we make it home. We stand in the garage arguing. "I'm going to go get the Lammy and push it home." I love men. I say, "No, you're going to listen to me. I am going to go to the Lammy and chain it up with a gazillion chains and all will be well 'til morning."

I don't know how I convinced him, but I did. He went home; I went off to the Lammy.

I get near to where we left it and pull up on the sidewalk. The street turns one-way the wrong way, so I thought I would park and walk to the scoot. And lucky me, there's a cop in a car sitting and waiting.

I grab my two chains and walk over to the cop. "Hey, I'm going to go chain up the scoot." He responds, "Uh, I wouldn't leave it there. Can you move it here (it's about 100 feet difference) where it will be in the light. It's bad down here; those idiots will steal anything." This is the copy telling me this. I said, "Sure, I can push it up here." "You can push it?" He asked me THREE TIMES like I'm some weakling (nice being a girl, eh?!).

So now I'm freaked about leaving it 'cos the cop said it's a crap area (which I already knew). And God forbid it get stolen...I'd never hear the end of "you should have let me push it." So I go and try to kick start it and it starts after the second kick. I think, hmmm, maybe I should lock up my Buddy and ride the Lammy home. Then I'll get someone to bring me back to pick up the Buddy.

So I try my crazy "New York busta rhymes" lock and the key won't open it. It's been acting up, so I switched to my b/f's lame-o kryptonite cable. I locked up the Buddy and tried again to kickstart the Lammy.

Now the Lammy is old...fifty years old to be exact. The kickstart metal hinge thing comes off all the time. And yes, it came off tonight. I picked it up and dumped it into the milkcrate on my Buddy. I then proceeded to pushstart the Lammy...running down the street in first gear (clutch in) and then letting the clutch out as I gave it gas. Vroom, off it goes with me flying behind it. It took me a few times to realize I just have to jump on it when I let go of the clutch. Give it some gas, and off we go.

The ride home isn't long, but there are A LOT of stop signs and red lights. I take to coasting through the stop signs because when I go to stop, the engine craps out and I have to pushstart again. It's nighttime, it's a crap neighborhood, and I'm sweating like crazy in my jacket.

I come to one stop sign where two cops are talking with a bunch of neighbors on the street. I think, "Man, I better come to a real stop or something bad might happen." So I stop and *konk konk*.

Now the two cops and the neighbors all want to help. I yell over "Oh no worries; drunk b/f is already home, I'm just bringing home his scoot." One of the neighbors asks if I've run out of gas. Ahh, I think to myself, the fuel tap. It's supposed to be in some position. I remember the b/f saying the fuel tap is his security against someone stealing the scoot because if it's not on the right way, no fuel. Of course I can't remember the right way because I get confused between the Vespa P, the Rabbit and the Lammy.

I wave at the cops and neighbors, mess with the tap, and run and push again. I'm getting good at this! I decide I'm not going to stop at lights or stop signs anymore. I'm dripping in sweat and I just want to get home.

Hooray! I make it home and park the Lammy. I run to the house to confirm b/f is home and safe (he's trying to take his jeans off over his boots). Good, I think. He won't go riding.

I run over to my neighbor Ron and lucky me, he's actually sitting in his car. I yell (I'm wearing my ff helmet), "Hey Ron, can you bring me downtown to pick up my scoot?". I get in and off we go. This is going great!

We get to the scoot and try to unlock it. I try with the key. Ron tries with the key. I swear we tried for fifteen minutes to unlock this frigging thing and we couldn't get it unlocked. Now we're both sweating. He calls another neighbor and asks if he has a bolt cutter.

"I'll call you back in 15," was the response. So we drive back home and I call yet another neighbor. "Hey Beth, you don't have bolt cutters, do you?" Her reply, "No, but I can ask Paul. Umm, why do you need them." I told her what's going on and she offered to call AAA.

Meanwhile I called yet another neighbor (we're very close on my street) to ask if he had bolt cutters and he did! He said give him 5 minutes to bring them down.

Beth calls back and AAA can do nothing (if the scoot is locked to something they can't help) but she offered to call our local district cop to ask if any of his guys could help (I know him, but I don't have his cell like she does...hmmmm). I said don't bother him 'cos Uncle Brian can lend us bolt cutters (no relation, everyone just calls him that because there are so many Brians on the street).

Uncle Brian delivers the bolt cutters and seems really preoccupied. I said to him that his night can't be worse than mine, to which he replied, "wanna bet?".

Ron drove me back (yet again) to my Buddy. He tries to cut the cable and nothing. He tries again and again and the grip on the cutters wasn't small enough. He finally comes up with some twisty thing that eventually cuts through. FREE AT LAST!

As we're celebrating, the same cop who was wondering if I could push the Lammy comes driving up. He's curious what we're doing with bolt cutters. Now Ron is a 6'2" black guy from Haiti. I rush up to the car and effuse "Oh Officer, you'd be so proud of me. I managed to ride the Lammy home and when I came back to get the Buddy, Ron and I couldn't get the lock open, so we had to go back home and get bolt cutters. But we got the lock off and I'm going to go for a nice long ride."

Now come on...bolt cutters. Cut lock? This is why I love Providence. The response was congrats that I got the Lammy home and have a wonderful ride (by now it's 10.00pm and this has been going for 2 hours).

I thanked Ron and said "I'm taking the looooong way home."

I headed on down to the Bay near the Rhode Island Yacht Club because it's a great ride (no traffic, slow) and stopped right next to the Club. I didn't think there'd be anyone there, but there were a slew of Spanish-speaking guys fishing and hanging out. I'm sure they thought I was nuts when I plopped myself down on the seawall in my pink jacket and just sat and looked over the water. I let the wind cool me, the waves calm me, and I marveled at the lights from the Mt Hope bridge in the distance. It was just what I needed.

I scoot home, park the Bud in the garage next to the Lammy, and head to the house. As I'm heading up the stairs I think, hmm, I wonder if I left the fuel tap on. But I wouldn't know because I have no idea what position it's supposed to be in and it kept snapping back to horizontal.

I checked on the b/f and he managed to get the jeans off and the boots off, so that was good. I decided not to quiz him on the fuel tap positioning and let him sleep (with NPR blaring in the background).

I went to the computer to share this escapade and as I began to write it up, two cop cars came racing down the street with their searchlights on. My block is VERY close and no one calls the cops on neighbors; if there's a problem we solve it face to face (and there's rarely a problem).

Someone must have called because they roar up in front of the house where Uncle Brian (of bolt cutter fame) lives with his neice, her husband and 3 girls. Things haven't been the best since the husband's return from Iraq and the officers were trying to sort things out.

My selfish thought was: the scoots are all safe & sound in the garage. I am proud of myself for getting the Lammy home. I have never ridden it more than up and down the street (it's his, not mine) and we've only had it a few weeks (to excuse my ignorance of fuel tap position). As I was riding it in the dark, shifting smoothly and running red lights, I thought to myself, I can ride f------ing anything.

Of course reality will hit tomorrow when the fuel is all over the garage floor. But at least I won't have the b/f's hangover!

Here's the Lammy I drove home in the dark with no headlight, no tail light, no turn signals and no stopping!
Last edited by siobhan on Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
Sparky

Post by Sparky »

Oh, I've had days and weeks like that!

Also, what a lovely town to live in as a scooterist. I've visited Providence twice to visit a friend who used to live there. The empty western sections of RI and the hills and canals of Providence are some of my fondest memories.

Hey, do you ever get air time off that big speed bump by the statehouse?
taile84

Post by taile84 »

Oh my gosh you POOR THING!! What a terrible night! As I was reading your post, I felt like I was reliving it with you. (You really are quite good a writter, maybe you should write a book?)

I know you are expecting everyone to get mad at your bf for being so wreckless and how dangerous it must have been for you to ride that Lammy home in its current condition (which I agree with also) but I am just glad you made it home safe and your Buddy did not get stolen.

I really hope your bf doesn't put you in that kind of situation again, I am just glad nothing happened to you. Gosh, this story could have ended very badly. I guess we all take a risk when we decide to get on two wheels.

I am new to this, have only had my Buddy for a week with 53 miles on it, and have alot to learn. I've already had my nervous moment for the day (link below) so I am just so amazed you can ride that Lammy home.
topic7834.html

Vroom Vroom, here I come! riding it like I stole it.
ScootingInTheRain
Location: Just North of Seattle, Just South of Mulletsylvania

Re: Crazy night: Buddy, Lambretta, Beer, Cops, Bolt Cutters,

Post by ScootingInTheRain »

siobhan wrote: ...I had no idea how many he'd had before the bank trip. I wish I had known...
Umm...

Do I read this correctly, that your boyfriend was already tipsy, then drank some more, then you all kept riding?

Am I the only one that thinks this is not such an amusing story, like "Ha, ha, look how he didn't plow through a stoplight and get decappitated! What a great crazy night!"

Sorry for being a prude, but I don't want to be driving around the city at night with your drunk boyfriend flopping around on his broken-down scooter. I don't want to be the one with the green light, or right-of-way, and flatten him.

Not cool.
siobhan

Post by siobhan »

Sparky wrote:Oh, I've had days and weeks like that!

Also, what a lovely town to live in as a scooterist. I've visited Providence twice to visit a friend who used to live there. The empty western sections of RI and the hills and canals of Providence are some of my fondest memories.

Hey, do you ever get air time off that big speed bump by the statehouse?
Hey Sparky,

I'm planning a trip to Nova Scotia/Cape Breton in June of next year...any tips or pointers? Ever been there? Places to stay/things to see (or not see!).

And here's the P at 'the bump'! It's easy on a scoot!
siobhan

Post by siobhan »

ScootingInTheRain wrote:
siobhan wrote: ...I had no idea how many he'd had before the bank trip. I wish I had known...
Umm...

Do I read this correctly, that your boyfriend was already tipsy, then drank some more, then you all kept riding?

Am I the only one that thinks this is not such an amusing story, like "Ha, ha, look how he didn't plow through a stoplight and get decappitated! What a great crazy night!"

Sorry for being a prude, but I don't want to be driving around the city at night with your drunk boyfriend flopping around on his broken-down scooter. I don't want to be the one with the green light, or right-of-way, and flatten him.

Not cool.
Dude, you need to lighten up. I wasn't taking the piss of the situation...my brother was a drunk driver who killed himself driving. I would never have let the b/f drive if I had known; it is completely out of character for him since he knows the sadness I carry daily, and why I feel the night has been so surreal.

Don't jump to judgment my friend. I guess I was just trying to write it down before it slipped away and wanted to share. I particularly liked the interactions with the various police officers throughout the night because who goes around with bolt cutters in the back of their 1980 BWM?
ScootingInTheRain

siobhan wrote:
ScootingInTheRain wrote:
Umm...

Not cool.
Dude, you need to lighten up. I wasn't taking the piss of the situation...my brother was a drunk driver who killed himself driving. I would never have let the b/f drive if I had known; it is completely out of character for him since he knows the sadness I carry daily, and why I feel the night has been so surreal.

Don't jump to judgment my friend. I guess I was just trying to write it down before it slipped away and wanted to share. I particularly liked the interactions with the various police officers throughout the night because who goes around with bolt cutters in the back of their 1980 BWM?
Yeah, sorry, I kinda got preachy. I just read a lightheartedness in your post that seemed out of place, but with your new info (quoted) your tone makes more sense.

Consider the conclusion unjumped.

~SITR
Jrman

Post by Jrman »

Now that was one hell-of-a story.. Thanks for sharing. Glad it all worked out. :)
Great Scooter Safety Site: http://www.highviz.org/
newslinky

Post by newslinky »

Wow no kidding what a night! Bet you slept really well the rest of the night. Did you mak sure to call your BF over and over the next morning to "punish" him properly for his misconduct? :wink: The only thing missing from that story was a high speed police chase (A good thing to be missing in your story's case) :lol:
Proud owner of a Buddy St. Tropez 150
sradwick

Post by sradwick »

Great story, your writing is excellent. I can't even imagine riding my Italia with a buzz on let alone drunk. You did the right thing by driving him home.

I'm not sure, but if your drunk boyfriend had pushed it home he still could have gotten a dui. Some states have the presumption of operating the vehicle if your drunk with the keys in your hands and close to the vehicle.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.
LisaLisa

Post by LisaLisa »

Ummm...
Dump the boyfriend.
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

LisaLisa wrote:Ummm...
Dump the boyfriend.
+1
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Hey, great story and very well written ! You should really think about rewriting this and filling it out a bit for some kind of publication. Maybe a scooter mag or whatever. Your BF could become infamous.
betsy q. bramble

Post by betsy q. bramble »

I love how many saintly perfect members there are here...and not at all quick to judge!

:roll:

dump the boyfriend? give me a break, people.
ScootingInTheRain

betsy q. bramble wrote:I love how many saintly perfect members there are here...and not at all quick to judge!

She bettah drop that zeeeero and geterself a heero.

JERRY! JERRY! JERRY! JERRY!

(couldn't resist.)
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

Dooglas wrote:Hey, great story and very well written!
+1 - I nominate for Reality Post of the Year!
captaintg

Post by captaintg »

Your BF couldn't find his way home, fell down with his scooter, and then couldn't get undressed? How did you not notice his condition before leaving the parking lot? It's not adding up for me. Your story was engaging, but I had trouble enjoying it because I was disturbed by the drunk-driving details.
olhogrider

Post by olhogrider »

I say dump the boyfriend. Not because he's some drunk lunatic. No! Because any woman who CAN do what you did and WOULD do what you did, deserves better! Most women would have left his drunk ass under his broken down scooter, called the cops and gone home.

On top of that, you are a great storyteller.

I want to know what happens next!
LisaLisa

Post by LisaLisa »

:oops:
Last edited by LisaLisa on Sun Sep 07, 2008 5:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Scootress

Post by Scootress »

My goodness, people.

We all have our opinions, and we're not shy about airing them; that's usually what's good about this forum. But fergodsake how did we get from, "people, you're not gonna believe what happened to ME tonight!" to everyone dispensing unsolicited life advice?

Siobhan, you sound like a girl who can take care of herself.

And you do tell one helluva story. :D
"Never attribute to malice what can be explained by mere stupidity."
LisaLisa

Post by LisaLisa »

Sorry, it was kindly meant. Unposting the unsolicited advice. :oops:
siobhan

Post by siobhan »

Hi folks, just getting back online now. Work has been crazy.

I'm laughing at the 'dump the boyfriend' stuff...we've been together 9 years (yeah, yeah marriage, schmarriage) and he's a great guy so I don't foresee that happening. We all do stupid stuff. Where else am I gonna find a scooter-riding, Dr Who-loving, can-I-get-another-cat (we have 5) kinda guy?!

He was fine on Saturday which is more than I could say for myself because Tropical Storm Hanna brought her low pressure to wreak havoc on my sinuses.

We know each other really well and he would never have driven if he felt like he couldn't handle the situation. He said he basically blacked out about half way through the ride home and doesn't remember going up the Interstate ramp or anything. I have a feeling it wasn't the beer (he had one pint; two total for the evening over a 3 hour period with food and he's far from a small guy), but a bad combo of exhaustion, stress and alcohol. Because he knows drink driving is a very serious issue with me (one of us is usually the DD if a bunch of us go out), he wouldn't have ridden if he felt he couldn't. And even when we left and he kick-started the beast and then did a quick push to get it going, he was fine (not leaning or fumbling with things). He's not a heavy drinker either so it's not like there's a tolerance thing. Of course now I'm all freaked that he has a brain tumor. I did get him to promise to see a doctor for a check-up (he hasn't had one since I've met him!).

Man, was he worried on Saturday, though! I said I was more relieved that everyone was ok, the scoots were safe, and the cops were worried for my safety.

As for the scoot:
well, I did leave the reserve fuel tap on and there was some gas spilled on the garage floor. And he had to replace the clutch cable 'cos he thinks it got stretched when the bike fell over. At least that's what he's saying in case I had anything to do with messing it up.

I have to say my neighbors are all awesome with helping out. Shout out to Elmwood!

And I got a new pair of shoes out of it :)

Oh, AND, the scoot is now stuck with the name I picked for it: Quilty (Lolita anyone?).
captaintg

Post by captaintg »

Thanks for the follow up, I'm glad everything worked out.
bunny

Post by bunny »

In my part of the country, a black man with bolt cutters is likely to get shot on sight, questions later...

I loved your tale of getting the scooters home, though! *sigh* good thing you got shoes out of the deal, I'm thinking *BLING* for that one!
Yes, it's fast. No, you can't ride it.

emoboy44

Post by emoboy44 »

betsy q. bramble wrote: :roll:

+1,000,000

Grgeat story, glad you're safe. I can't believe I read the whole thing...love my job!
MMMMMMMMMMMMM
emoboy44

Post by emoboy44 »

bunny wrote:In my part of the country, a black man with bolt cutters is likely to get shot on sight, questions later...
:shock:

THE STARS AT NIGHT, ARE BIG AND BRIGHT......
MMMMMMMMMMMMM
pocphil
Dealer

Post by pocphil »

Tips for getting home whilst drunk:

Call a cab, call a friend, lock it up, whatever, but if you absolutely, positively can't get home without riding, and they're dumping your ass in the street...

Avoid beer, if you're gonna drink, you want to minimize the ODOR of an alcoholic beverage. It's the best probable cause the officer has once he has you pulled over. Make sure your last few drinks of the night are not Beer or whiskey, stick with a nice fruity drink, pineapple and strawberry do wonders for minimizing the scent of alcohol on your breath. Keep you visor open. A PB&J sandwich is known for its masking ability.

Speed, going UNDER the speed limit or being dead-on it is a sure sign you've been drinking. Best to be a few mph over. Act like you're on your way home from work.

Wait, If last call is 2:30 in your town do NOT be on the road anywhere between 2:00 and 3:00. I used to say 80% of the people on the road during this hour were drunk. Some nights I thought the percentage was higher. Also there's a pretty good chance if it's a friday or saturday night all the cops in your zone will be tied up with DUI's they've already caught, less cops on the road means better odds for you. If you can go get a bite to eat in the meantime that's even better.

Back Alley Sally, Stay off the main drags, work your way home through the neighborhoods.

Tip Top Scooter, make sure your lights, turn signals and brake lights are in good order and your bike doesn't look "illegal" be wearing safety gear and look like you know what you're doing. Anything can be probable cause for a stop...give them as little to work with as possible.

Alibi, If you get pulled over have your shit together, Open your visor, but don't take off your helmet, the less of your face he can see, the better. Shut off the bike and lean it on the sidestand, but don't get off. The less you move around the less chance of stumbling around looking drunk. The best story in the book is that you just got a call from the alarm company and you had to wake up and go check your business...turns out it was just some drunk pulling on the door. The next best story is you work at the bar you're coming from, doorman, barback, bartender, whatever. Usually officers give a whole lot of slack to folks who work at the bar and this is particularly good if there's a chance he's been watching you since you left the bar.

Keep in mind the odds are in your favor, your bike is narrow and the lanes are wide. Only you can decide if you should be riding. If anyone, anyone tries to take your keys and offers you a ride home...take it. Trust me, you're more drunk than you think you are, and they may not offer more than once.
siobhan

Post by siobhan »

Amusing tips pocphil. My suggestion is to not get into a state where it comes to being so clever. Fortunately I live in a small city with a ton of great neighbors so if it did come to the "I need someone to get my scoot home because I did something stupid" scenario, it'd be a phone call away (and most likely from the barman who knows me).

Mind you, each time I spoke with the various cops throughout the night, I was wearing a PINK full face that I didn't remove, a pink armoured jacket, armoured gloves and motorcycle boots. The milkcrate lessened the effect, but I think they got the point when it came to being serious.

And what's a side stand on a '58 Lammy? It barely stays on the centerstand...if it's running it drifts forward from the vibrations. My favorite part of the bike is that it doesn't require a key to start it; just a kick and off you go. The key is to turn on the lights which I forgot to do in my adrenaline rush and only realized when I pulled into the garage. I kept thinking, man, did the lights conk out? Oh, yeah, I'm supposed to turn them on. Duh.
LisaLisa

Post by LisaLisa »

I have a feeling it wasn't the beer (he had one pint; two total for the evening over a 3 hour period with food and he's far from a small guy),
Sounds more like your boyfriend is fighting off some kind nasty cold/virus/tummy bug, and isn't the problem chile I suspected him of being. :wink:

(I've spent too much of myself on problem men!)

Also maybe sounds like a friend of mine that went hypoglycemic- woozy, not thinking straight, and mildly surly. I had to almost hit him to get him to check his sugar and drink some OJ.

Tip: remind him to eat.

Glad you got some shoes out of the deal!
olhogrider

Post by olhogrider »

Glad everything worked out OK! I still say you're too good for him. I hope he appreciates you. :wink:
Drumwoulf

Post by Drumwoulf »

betsy q. bramble wrote:I love how many saintly perfect members there are here...and not at all quick to judge!
:lol: :lol: :lol:
-Live the life you think you want to, sweetie...
Me? Been there, done that, and I'm just glad I don't hafta live with such chaos anymore!
Whew! :shock:
Anyway, I hope you survive 'lush life' and get the hell out of it someday....
-I did, and I wuz like your BF, maybe even worse, so maybe you will too... :wink:

Take care of yourself... 8)
Namaste,
~drummer~

07 Buddy 125
07 Vespa GT200
betsy q. bramble

gross.
olhogrider

Post by olhogrider »

betsy q. bramble wrote:gross.
Huh? :?:
betsy q. bramble

re: drumwolf posting one of the most condescending things i've read on this board, and my failed attempt at biting my tongue about it.
siobhan

Post by siobhan »

UPDATE:
So the b/f was telling me a story tonight related to this. On the night in question, he was drinking the special brew on cask Belgian Strawberry. He was in the pub recently and the bartender was telling him that her husband was in the following Monday after this crazy night, had some of the same cask brew, and was violently ill and disoriented in the bar, totally out of it. This guy is the bartender's husband and soon to be first-time dad (as well as a fellow scooterist with a Honda Met). She would never have allowed the father of her soon-to-be-new-son drink too much at her place of work. So we've decided there was something up with this cask that reacted terribly with some folks dispositions. I'm glad I didn't have any!

Oh the Lammy is awesome btw.
LisaLisa

Post by LisaLisa »

OMG, I get ill from Hooegaarden. Not so bad, but seriously similar. Half a pint and an hour later I'm wanting to crawl into a hole and die.

So I don't drink it or anything like it anymore. No more wheats or lambics for me, much as I love them.
Det finns inte dåligt väder bara dåliga kläder.
DennisD

Post by DennisD »

I used to chain my bike to a tree upon arriving at a party, give my keys to a friend and get a ride home or crawl or sleep in the yard or on a pier or under a tree if I had too much to drink. That was when none of the booze had labels on those big jars. They did have a name in raised glass on the front, "Ball Mason jar".