At Long Last!!!

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

loodieboy

At Long Last!!!

Post by loodieboy »

In just one hour (counting down the minutes) my wife and I will be picking up our '08 Seafoam pre-fitted with front/rear racks, cowl guard, and topcase. Antici.........pation!

Wait - in 58 minutes.
Clearly.
jmsmith802

Post by jmsmith802 »

Cool 8) Take some pictures when you get it... and have fun
MikieTaps

Post by MikieTaps »

yes, baby pictures are the first thing you must do... well after riding it.

but a new scooter is like a new tattoo. It will never be a shiny and clear as it is the first night your get it! So take all the pictures you can!
italiaguy

Post by italiaguy »

CONGRATS! Be safe and post some pictures.
loodieboy

Post by loodieboy »

As my daughter would say, the Buddy is BEAST!

My wife and I picked her up yesterday afternoon at Metro in Cincinnati (hey, potential buyers - the showroom is packed with new scooters). It was parked outside in the sunshine and smiled at us when we arrived. After the paperwork, Seth introduced us to our new scooter and I buzzed it around the parking lot. I was more than pleased at how it handles - quite responsive. To be honest, I had some concerns going in about the TAG and rear brake in the "wrong place" (I come from a MC past), but the controls really are intuitive.

Hit the streets! With my wife following in the car, I headed for downtown Cincinnati which lies between Metro and our home in Northern Kentucky. What a blast it was in the city, then across the mighty Ohio to urban Newport and on up the very long hill (with some great curves) which leads to home. Once home, it was double up time, first my wife, and then my twin daughters (yes, one at a time). Now this was another pleasant surprise. First, we are not 'big' people and so there was plenty of room for two. Second, the Buddy handled better two up than many of the bikes I have ridden. The Buddy scores again! Yes, at this point I was concerned about putting too much load on the new motor (although I do believe in a more aggressive break-in) but there was no way that I could hold the family at bay from taking a spin. Perhaps the best part was visiting the in-laws. They are Scots and quite accepting of two-wheelers. My father-in-law (mind you, he is in his 70's) was green with envy and asked a million questions. Ten bucks says he has one before the year is done.

Anyway, there it is. A great first day! Pros: handling, handling, and handling. Cons: the Genuine topcase (can't say I wasn't warned). Looks great but the lock failed and it won't open. Sorry for the long wind and lack of pics (I'll try to get one posted today). Right now, I am finishing my coffee and hitting the streets for a nice, cool Sunday morning ride.

One final note. Thank you so much to all of you for all of the great information and stories shared on this site! I felt so at home from the instant I fired it up.

- Rob
Clearly.
MarkTur

Post by MarkTur »

Nice! Saw that Buddy-Fever woke you up quite early this morning for the Sunday morning ride!

Have fun and be safe! :)
Cya!
Mark Turkel
http://www.PalmBeachSoftware.com
http://www.BeGreenSaveTheWorld.com

Genuine Buddy 125cc
Powder Blue - (Yes, I picked "that" color cause I likes it!)

Like someone else said "Saving Gas and Sticking it to the Man!"
loodieboy

Post by loodieboy »

Yes, it did. Unfortunately, I was driven back by a light drizzle - I could see the oil slicks rising on the streets :(
Clearly.
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

Congrats and welcome!
coffeekittie

Post by coffeekittie »

Oh oh oh! My topcase is sucky too! I can sometimes get it to open by kinda pushing the key in without turning the lock - it's the only way I can get it to open, but it only works about one in fifteen or twenty tries. Do you think the dealerships take returns?

Aside from that, Congratulations!!!! Your seafoam girl will treat you well, and I predict you will have to get one for your wife as well, very soon :) Lovely post!
"There are two means of refuge from the misery of life - music and cats."
- Albert Schweitzer

See me and my cool cats at www.justcatshotel.com
www.olygeek.com
loodieboy

Post by loodieboy »

ERRATA: The lock on the Genuine topcase did not "fail" - I did. I swung by the dealer today, and he (Seth) opened it in a heartbeat. It helps: 1) when you turn the lock to the unlock position, and 2) push the button firmly. The good news - I got to sneak out from work for a mid-day ride. The bad news - I am a sissy fingered cretin.
Clearly.