So, it was clear and sunny this morning and now the skies

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

bunny

So, it was clear and sunny this morning and now the skies

Post by bunny »

are darkening. What do I do? I don't drive in the rain, much less ride in it. I've got all my gear, but now I'm nervous. The chances of rain have increased dramatically since this morning. And not just any rain...storms.

Now I am freaking out. My first real scooter related freak out.

I've got another hour to go before I leave work. Any advice?
Yes, it's fast. No, you can't ride it.

MikieTaps

Post by MikieTaps »

leave early? :?
bunny

Post by bunny »

Wish I could. I'm sure I could swing it with the higher ups as everyone calls me ScooterGirl around here but still. I haven't passed the 90 day mark yet. It's just getting darker, no rain or thunder yet.

ScootingInTheRain
Location: Just North of Seattle, Just South of Mulletsylvania

Re: So, it was clear and sunny this morning and now the skie

Post by ScootingInTheRain »

bunny wrote:I don't drive in the rain, much less ride in it.
That approach would bring this part of the world to a grinding halt. :)

My advice - go for it, slow down, enjoy the wet.

~SITR
MikieTaps

Post by MikieTaps »

i was going to say the same thing... but I dont want to push you outside of your comfort zone. But yeah... I rode in the rain the first time I rode the buddy. Also I would never be able to ride if I couldnt ride in the rain up here...
alienmeatsack

Post by alienmeatsack »

Well, if it's def going to rain, you are acutally better off waiting a while. The first rain will make the roads super slick, but once the oil and such is washed off, they will not be as slippery. And if you wait a bit the rain might pass.
Dead Bunny SC | Tumblr: spazscooter | Twitter: @SPAZ_Scooter | Twitter: @DeadBunnySC
email: spazscooter@gmail.com
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

MikieTaps wrote:i was going to say the same thing... but I dont want to push you outside of your comfort zone. But yeah... I rode in the rain the first time I rode the buddy. Also I would never be able to ride if I couldnt ride in the rain up here...
Yeah, I'd just suggest waiting a bit for the roads to get saturated, then ride on through. I don't quite know what else to tell you. All of us NWerners are too used to it to quite understand ;)
R.McLeod

Post by R.McLeod »

I'm feeling a drop or two here in downtown so you should leave now if you're thinking about it. Just heard some thunder as I'm typing.
Go Team Venture!
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Damn North Central TX weather. A light shower up there and quickly turn into a downpour, zero visibility and if it hasn't rained in a while, the streets can flood.

No way you can cover the scooter and call someone for a lift? If it's not pouring when it's quitting time and you decide to ride home, think of a couple possible stopping places along your route just in case you get caught in something you're not comfortable handling.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
LisaLisa

Post by LisaLisa »

When you ride in the rain (and you'll be OK), ride in the tire tracks of the car ahead of you. Sit up straight and go slow. Take the curves a little slow. No hard breaking. You'll be OK.
bunny

We made it home safe...

Post by bunny »

Soaking wet, but safe.

We've been 'baptized.' And, no, this is not an experience I wish to repeat.

There's a reason I don't like to drive in the rain. Scootering in the rain just reinforced it.

Thanks everyone for talking me through it. It took about 45 minutes longer than my usual 30 minute scoot it like I stole it commute. Cloudy skies to downpour in seconds. Actually, on the east side of 121, it was dry, as soon as I rode under 121, it was wet. And I somehow got lucky that I made all the lights for a while. My first stop was good, and then I put my feet down. My toe slid a bit on the pavement. That shook me a tad. Otherwise, it was a decent ride. I went slow as granny, probably tee'd off some cagers behind me, but I'm safe and sound and happier for it. Been there, done it, NOT doing it again.

MikieTaps

Post by MikieTaps »

:D Im glad you are alive!
ScootingInTheRain
Location: Just North of Seattle, Just South of Mulletsylvania

Post by ScootingInTheRain »

Yay! Now you can move to Seattle!
dorian

Post by dorian »

Welcome to the membership of the ROSE (Rained-On Scooter Evangelists)! Ready to move to Portland yet?

Seriously, now you know how it is hopefully it relieves some of the angst next time. Glad you made it ok.
newslinky

Post by newslinky »

Wow sorry I missed your OP Bunny. Gus in all seriousness riding when there is the good possibility of storms here is not something done lightly. It isn't the rain really that is the scary part. Texas storms are regularly accompanied by large amounts of ear shattering earth to sky lightning, straight line winds and hail(not so much now but all the way into June is common). If I had caught your post Bunny I would have recommended watching the local news weather radar and then going when it looked like you had a clear spot to travel in. Another effect of Texas storms is usually they are fast moving things. A line of storms flies through then the rain stops and soon another line comes through. This bunch is the very tame variety of mostly rain very little wind and some lightning fortunately. I caged to work tonight due to the forecast holding such a high chance of stormy weather. I wasn't pleased to be caging :evil: .
Glad to see you made it ok Bunny I am sure you will be a rabid weather report checking type like me before scooting off to work from now on. :D
Proud owner of a Buddy St. Tropez 150
sambrgr

Post by sambrgr »

I use www.accuweather.com
It gives you an hourly breakdown of the weather in your area so you can plan your day accordingly
bunny

Post by bunny »

Unfortunately for me, yesterday morning it was forecast that it was going to be clear nad sunny all day. And so I scootered to work. It wasn't until half the day had gone that I saw a weather update. and by then, it was too late. I always watch the weather and only scooter if it's 30% or less and no high winds. Otherwise, I'm in the cage.

But when it's changing weather like it was yesterday, there's no helping the situation.

Now that I know how she scoots in the rain, I can feel better if it ever happens again. But I've been re-evaluating my rain chances decisions and it may be that I cut back to 20% or less for scootering.

lobsterman

Post by lobsterman »

I've gotten caught in the rain lots of times when the weather predictor's were saying 30% chance or even less, and I always look at hourly forecast and radar. It happens.

Fact is, if you ride enough you'll get caught in the rain at some point when you're already committed somewhere betweens points A and B. Get some Frogg Toggs or other rain gear and be ready for it. You survived so you know you can do it.

Of course, high winds or hail etc. make it a whole different story. Your own common sense will tell you when you need to pull over somewhere and seek shelter.
Kevin
AYPWIP?
MikieTaps

Post by MikieTaps »

yeah... if you have common sense... I dont have any... I ride everyday... I dont even bother looking at the forcast... :?
SCTSCT

Post by SCTSCT »

I am with Mikie..............ride first, meteorologe :wink: later.

The same thing that happened to bunny is what is getting ready to happen to me, but I am not worried. There was almost no chance of rain around here this morning, then round about noon, it went straight up to 50%. I only wish I had some waterproof gear. My dress slacks are going to be soaked by the time I get home.

Speaking of Frogg Toggs............any particular variety that is good for us scooter riders? I checked out the site earlier, but didn't have much time to look through all the different gear.
Jrman

Post by Jrman »

MikieTaps wrote:yeah... if you have common sense... I dont have any... I ride everyday... I dont even bother looking at the forcast... :?
Same here... 60% chance of rain today. Clear skies going in and black clouds heading home. I stopped at a local hardware store's overhang and put on my rain gear. 5 min later it started to pore. Road 40 minutes in the rain heading home from work and loving every minute! I do have an added bit of protection which helps me be seen in almost all weather conditions day or night.

I don't leave home without my High-Rez Yellow Airglide 2 Mesh Tech Jacket. 90+ plus this weekend and the jacket kept me safe and believe it or not fairly cool.

Note: girl in photo is "optional equipment".. :D
Attachments
airglide02.jpg
airglide02.jpg (53.62 KiB) Viewed 1144 times
Great Scooter Safety Site: http://www.highviz.org/
Alix B

Post by Alix B »

One of the worst times is the first time.

Def. use the tire tracks in front of you.
Most slippery time is actually right when the rain starts falling, because it's just mixing with the oil on the road. Caution on that.

I didn't like the stock tires in the rain, although I rode with them for 20k before I knew any better.

Maybe get tires that make you feel safer.

Rain gear makes it better, you don't get distracted by how wet your getting.
You can do it.

Rainex or something on helmet shield is helpful.
armacham

Post by armacham »

Alix B wrote:
Maybe get tires that make you feel safer.
What tires do you use, Alix?