Who wears pants?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

onlyagibson

Who wears pants?

Post by onlyagibson »

Ok, I should clarify. Who wears pants with armor when they ride? I am wearing a full face helmet, gloves, and an amour equipped fabric riding jacket. No pants...yet. Who wears em' and do they do they drive you crazy?
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

I wear the same stuff as you, ff helmet, armored jacket, and kevlar gloves, but no armor pants.
Jrman

Post by Jrman »

jfrost2 wrote:I wear the same stuff as you, ff helmet, armored jacket, and kevlar gloves, but no armor pants.
Same here but I will be getting the mesh pants shortly. I also have water proof boots that cover my ankles.
Great Scooter Safety Site: http://www.highviz.org/
farrellcollie

Post by farrellcollie »

I wear pants with bmx kneepads over them usually and I also have a pair of overpants for the winter and a pair of jeans with kevlar and kneepads in them.
coffeekittie

Post by coffeekittie »

I wear them only when the weather gets cooler, or when I'm going to be riding at speed. I like using leather chaps over mens heavy duty duck-hunting pants (warm :) ) when it's really cold out.
"There are two means of refuge from the misery of life - music and cats."
- Albert Schweitzer

See me and my cool cats at www.justcatshotel.com
www.olygeek.com
Keys

Post by Keys »

I haven't found any armor to fit my kilt...

--Keys 8)
"Life without music would Bb"
Alix B

Post by Alix B »

Also, more info on this thread recently started:
topic7713.html
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Over on the ModernVespa forum, one of the Brit members helpfully pointed out that the term pants over there applies to those things you wear under trousers. In that sense, armored pants are an interesting concept.
alienmeatsack

Post by alienmeatsack »

I am considering a pair of armored pants for riding in the colder temps, but typically just wear my jeans with my jacket/helmet/gloves/boots.

I wouldn''t mind having a pair of mesh ones for summer when I want to wear shorts. Preferably something easily removed and stashed away in the scoot or similar.
Dead Bunny SC | Tumblr: spazscooter | Twitter: @SPAZ_Scooter | Twitter: @DeadBunnySC
email: spazscooter@gmail.com
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

I have a pair of mesh pants with armor, but rarely wear them. I'll wear them if I'm going on an extended ride and it's not too hot out. If I'm just running short errands I won't wear them. To me, it's a pain to keep taking gear on and off. I already think my mesh jacket with armor is a pain to take on and off each stop. Now add pants and it takes 15 minutes to gear up between each errand. And it's too dorky and hot to walk around in the mesh pants doing your errands.

Mesh is still hot. It may not be as hot as leather or textiles, but it's still hot. If it's less than 85, I can bear the mesh jacket and pants. If it's between 85 and 100, I can only bear the mesh jacket. If it's over 100, I usually only wear a hi-viz vest.
Tocsik

Post by Tocsik »

I just wear jeans. But, I recently bought an inexpensive pair of ski pants to wear in the cooler weather. Other than that, boots, armored jacket, ff helmet and gloves all the time!
.::I know the voices in my head aren't real, but man do they come up with some great ideas::.
Lil Buddy

Post by Lil Buddy »

<<<<< Pants? I don't need no stink'n pants.
Portland_Rider
Location: Free Territory of the Pacific Northwest (Kalifornia refugee)

Cycle/scooter shin knee guards

Post by Portland_Rider »

I'm considering these:

Icon Field Armor Leg

http://www.newenough.com/armor/elbow_sh ... r_leg.html

I'm concerned that they will not fit well over the pair of Carolina 9" logger boots that I'm also considering:

http://www.carolinashoe.com/item.asp?ItemID=231
olhogrider

Post by olhogrider »

Just saw a pair pants with removable armor for the shin and knee. The armor fits into a pocket on the outside of the shin. When you are done riding you just slip the armor out of the pocket. Sorry I didn't catch the name.
mi99amigo

Post by mi99amigo »

I hear ya and understand your comments about simply wearing jeans. Jeans are a minimum. I have a pair of Tourmaster ballistic nylon pants with CE armor on the knees and padding on the hips. I wear them when I ride my motorcycle. On my scoot, for trips to the store, I wear jeans.

That being said, I was at a group ride doing no more than 35mph. The guy in front of me went down. He ripped his jeans at the knee and got pretty bad road rash. Broke a few ribs too but luckily, he was wearing a ff lid and an armor jacket. He hit the ground with head and slid on his face. The ff lid saved his face.

Chris
KCScooterDude

Post by KCScooterDude »

I wear a personal airbag. It's hard to explain, here's a picture.
Attachments
lilred.jpg
lilred.jpg (5.39 KiB) Viewed 1797 times
olhogrider

Post by olhogrider »

hal1

Post by hal1 »

alienmeatsack wrote:I wouldn''t mind having a pair of mesh ones for summer when I want to wear shorts. Preferably something easily removed and stashed away in the scoot or similar.
Exactly what I'm looking for. In phoenix you can EASILY wear shorts 5-6 month out of the year. For the rest of the year jeans still scare me. I mean, hell, we'll wear armored jackets but not worry about busting a knee?
KCScooterDude

Post by KCScooterDude »

hal1 wrote:
alienmeatsack wrote:I wouldn''t mind having a pair of mesh ones for summer when I want to wear shorts. Preferably something easily removed and stashed away in the scoot or similar.
Exactly what I'm looking for. In phoenix you can EASILY wear shorts 5-6 month out of the year. For the rest of the year jeans still scare me. I mean, hell, we'll wear armored jackets but not worry about busting a knee?
Aw man, almost made it a year! :)
hal1

Post by hal1 »

^ Huh?
DennisD

Post by DennisD »

I do. Not all the time, I roll the dice. Usually wear them on longer rides, sometimes on short rides if I have that uncomfortable why do I feel this way something is going to happen feeling.
It was my first and hopefully last crash that convinced me to buy the pants. Knees and hips can really take a beating on a high side. Exciting launch, disappointing landing.
Pants are First Gear Mesh with upgraded armor added to the standard armor. Very comfortable.
My knees are OEM still but do have these huge pink things on them that are called scars. They quit itching finally this summer.
My hip was on its way out anyway but this sped things up. Or so the doc thinks. Can't really say that did it.
It was a slow speed accident.

Here's the pants: http://www.newenough.com/protective_app ... pants.html

http://www.newenough.com/browse/view_product_images/152
KCScooterDude

Post by KCScooterDude »

hal1 wrote:^ Huh?
Seven more days and it would have been a year since the last post in this thread. Not that there's anything wrong with that.
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

I've never worn armored pants yet but I'm shopping for some now, getting ready for winter. Ideally I would like mesh/textile overpants with a removable thermal/windproof liner so I could use them in both summer and winter. I'm still in the research phase, looking for the best deal...

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
Liquidkool

Post by Liquidkool »

i wear flip flops and super trooper sun glasses i dont really ride if its below 60 degrees
THINKFORYOURSELF
Josh

Post by Josh »

yep, i got some scorpion exo mesh pants with knee and hip armor. I bought a size up to be sure they go far enough over my boots, and so that I could use them as over pants for my commute to work and in the winter. And when it's real hot, and I don't wear shorts or pants under them, i just tighten the waist and they fit fine. They've got a removable liner so they are good in winter too.
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/ ... pants.aspx

I've worn these pants year round, and while i do get hot in 85+ temps, that's only when i'm sitting at a red light. I've simply made it a habit and I'm so use to it now, it's no different that putting on my jacket.
ScooterDave
Most Likely to Spontaneously Combust

Post by ScooterDave »

Never been big on the mesh pants. I do wear a mesh tank top most of the time.

http://www.nuwear.com/gregg-homme-danger-muscle-shirt/
bluebuddygirl

Post by bluebuddygirl »

ScooterDave wrote:Never been big on the mesh pants. I do wear a mesh tank top most of the time.

Ya know, I just knew that I shouldn't have clicked on that link, but I did anyway. My first instinct was correct. :shock: :shock: :shock:
DennisD

Post by DennisD »

bluebuddygirl wrote:
ScooterDave wrote:Never been big on the mesh pants. I do wear a mesh tank top most of the time.

Ya know, I just knew that I shouldn't have clicked on that link, but I did anyway. My first instinct was correct. :shock: :shock: :shock:
OH NO! 1 HIT WONDER STUCK IN MY HEAD!!! :cry:

"I'm too sexy for my shirt, too sexy..."
LisaLisa

Post by LisaLisa »

I was so disappointed by that link. Was hoping for scooterdave as the model.
db

Post by db »

I still wear whatever I wear that day. I dont own a armored jacket. Somedays its silky shorts and t-shirt with keens, or shorts or jeans. depends on the weather and what I am going to do. Always a helmet though.
jbougere

Post by jbougere »

HA! My office internet filter totally blocked that link. I should really know better...
SteMer

Post by SteMer »

db wrote:I still wear whatever I wear that day. I dont own a armored jacket. Somedays its silky shorts and t-shirt with keens, or shorts or jeans. depends on the weather and what I am going to do. Always a helmet though.
Dude. Silky shorts? :P
Mighty Ohio Scooter Club