I think it's time for the scooter only life :) -UPDATE-

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Becktastic

I think it's time for the scooter only life :) -UPDATE-

Post by Becktastic »

I have had my Buddy for about three weeks and I am totally in love with it. I haven't missed my gas guzzling cage for even a minute. I had to use it only once since I got my scoot, to pick some friends up from the train station and I felt claustraphobic the entire time. I had planned to use my cage the next day to bring some art supplies to class, but I couldn't stand the thought of driving it again. I managed to get everything backpacked or strapped on safely to my scoot instead :D

If I sell my car before the 21st I don't need to renew my insurance >_>

Anyone else blissfully living the cagefree life?

---Edit 09-19-08---
I got my motorcycle license the day before yesterday, posted my car on craigslist last night and sold it today!

I am cage free!

And I got $1200 in my pocket!
Last edited by Becktastic on Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Lift heavy eat clean!
olhogrider

Post by olhogrider »

Before kids I only rode a motorcycle. Even after one kid I stuck to two wheels but after that I had to have a car. Now my daughter rides the Buddy and I'm stuck with the Vespa!
betsy q. bramble

Post by betsy q. bramble »

I am really depressed about the impending winter months up here in the north east...I SO badly wish I never had to drive a car for the rest of my life. I haven't put gas in my car all summer!!

:cry:
Eddy Merckx

Post by Eddy Merckx »

betsy q. bramble wrote:I am really depressed about the impending winter months up here in the north east...I SO badly wish I never had to drive a car for the rest of my life. I haven't put gas in my car all summer!!

Hey Betsy,

Me and the Mrs, scooter through a large part of the winter, just not when there is snow/ Ice on the roads, its doable but you gotta get the right clothing for the windchill, plus a windshield, hand grip covers, etc, etc,
give it a go, it may workout okay for you.......... just a thought..... :)
"Social graces, got any"
betsy q. bramble

Post by betsy q. bramble »

Eddy Merckx wrote: Hey Betsy,

Me and the Mrs, scooter through a large part of the winter, just not when there is snow/ Ice on the roads, its doable but you gotta get the right clothing for the windchill, plus a windshield, hand grip covers, etc, etc,
give it a go, it may workout okay for you.......... just a thought..... :)
I can't believe I haven't seen you guys out and about at ALL! Where are you?? I have been scooting up a storm all over the West Hartford area!

Also, to be more relevant..this will be my first winter with a scoot. Maybe I am tougher than I think! Let's hope so.
Becktastic

Post by Becktastic »

olhogrider wrote:Before kids I only rode a motorcycle. Even after one kid I stuck to two wheels but after that I had to have a car. Now my daughter rides the Buddy and I'm stuck with the Vespa!
I would rather have a scooter than a kid :twisted:

My mother is none too happy about it.
Lift heavy eat clean!
olhogrider

Post by olhogrider »

Becktastic wrote:
Lots of times I feel the same way!
Becktastic

Post by Becktastic »

betsy q. bramble wrote:I am really depressed about the impending winter months up here in the north east...I SO badly wish I never had to drive a car for the rest of my life. I haven't put gas in my car all summer!!

I bought my scoot in time to experience the hotter days and the monsoons. Tucson is just better scooter weather after this time of year :)

It might rain on me today, but at least it's a warm rain with spectacular lightning shows.
Lift heavy eat clean!
KCScooterDude

Re: I think it's time for the scooter only life :)

Post by KCScooterDude »

Becktastic wrote:I have had my Buddy for about three weeks and I am totally in love with it. I haven't missed my gas guzzling cage for even a minute. I had to use it only once since I got my scoot, to pick some friends up from the train station and I felt claustraphobic the entire time. I had planned to use my cage the next day to bring some art supplies to class, but I couldn't stand the thought of driving it again. I managed to get everything backpacked or strapped on safely to my scoot instead :D

If I sell my car before the 21st I don't need to renew my insurance >_>

Anyone else blissfully living the cagefree life?
I bought an old BMW 320i to complement my scooter. Paid less than the scooter new, and it's a heck of a lot of fun to drive.

I almost never drive it, but I plan to do a little restoration and turn it into a show car.

You can do it. It's going to be a heck of a lot cheaper to rent a car that one day every three or so months that you need one than to maintain one.

I'm married, and my wife has an SUV that we use to take on trips, on rainy days and - starting in January - to transport our forthcoming spawn.

A lot has been made about whether the economics of scootering make sense. I understand the arguements on both sides and I know one thing is for certain - it sure helps with cash flow. $400 for a payment, $100 for insurance, $50 to $150 extra in gas. That extra $600 a month will pay for a lot of stuff. Half a house payment for many, child care, a boat payment, retirement.

Good luck - you're making the right choice.
gt1000

Post by gt1000 »

I would rather have a scooter than a kid Twisted Evil

I can resonate with your mom. I've got a post-college aged daughter and it would worry me sick if she was a full time rider. Of course, dads are worse with daughters than moms but...oh hell, I'm just gonna stop rambling on this issue now.

I gave up my car about 6 years ago and it was the right decision, even in Denver. I scoot year round but park it when there's snow or ice around. At that point we'll work out car-sharing, which happens rarely, or (last resort), I'll take the bus. I'm free of the insane highway commuting drill which, to me, is even more valuable than the insurance, gas and car expense savings. If I lived in Arizona it would be a no-brainer. My biggest problem would be riding when it's too hot.
Andy

2006 Buddy 125 (orange), going to a good MB home
2009 Vespa 250 GTS (black)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800 (black)
2008 Ducati Hypermotard S, traded for Tiger 800
spencerpeterson85

Post by spencerpeterson85 »

In Arizona i'd say give up the car. I keep mine for when there's snow and I go on long distance trips, but if there was never snow in Utah, it'd go. I loath filling my car with gas... $5.69 today to fill the scoot! :D
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery,
none but ourselves can free our minds,
Have no fear for atomic energy,
cause none of them can stop the time..."
-Bob Marley
Becktastic

Re: I think it's time for the scooter only life :)

Post by Becktastic »

KCScooterDude wrote: to transport our forthcoming spawn.
Hahaha I love the word spawn :P
Lift heavy eat clean!
Becktastic

Post by Becktastic »

gt1000 wrote: I can resonate with your mom. I've got a post-college aged daughter and it would worry me sick if she was a full time rider. Of course, dads are worse with daughters than moms but...oh hell, I'm just gonna stop rambling on this issue now.
Well my dad is more worried about my safety, my mom is just wondering why I'm not popping out grand babies :P
Lift heavy eat clean!
MikieTaps

Post by MikieTaps »

I dont own a cage... My girlfriend has one, so if I really need it I can borrow it, but I am probably aroun 99.5% of my road time is on the buddy.
Ken82

Post by Ken82 »

good for you! i live the no "cage" life..although my girlfriend has a car so...it's not completely cage free..me and cars have never gotten along.
Jackiemancini

Post by Jackiemancini »

When I got my first scooter I had just bought a 2007 Yaris six months ago. Once I bought the scooter the Yaris got cobwebs and I sold it soon after.

I now have a cheaper, used station wagon that I use only to haul tons of art supplies to the classes I teach, or when it's pouring rain. However, I had to use it regularly when the scoot was stolen, so you may want to consider rental replacement insurance on your bike so that if it is stolen you're not stranded and they will give you a loaner of some sort...I don't know if that works with scoots but I know they do it for cars.

I am SO bummed when I look outside and it looks like I need to drive to work because it's going to pour. I HATE CARS!
Jrman

Post by Jrman »

I have had my scooter for 6 weeks and have only taken my car to work one time. I love to scoot in the rain too. It helps that I live in Florida and can look forward to year round scooting.

I do have to drive the cage some on weekends. Only when I have to go somewhere with my wife... :sigh:
Great Scooter Safety Site: http://www.highviz.org/
coffeekittie

Post by coffeekittie »

If you have the riding apparel for year-round, and good insurance coverage for the scoot, then I'd say to do it. Even if you decide in the future that a car is necessary, save the space and money for now. There are people all over who don't own any transportation, and here you are with a fun, reliable and cheap way to get about.

I had to wait until my son could drive himself before I thought seriously about 2-wheeled transportation, so try it now, before you (if you ever decide to) have kids. This is not an irreversible decision, so why not take the plunge? Good luck and happy riding to you :)
"There are two means of refuge from the misery of life - music and cats."
- Albert Schweitzer

See me and my cool cats at www.justcatshotel.com
www.olygeek.com
Jessica

Post by Jessica »

I don't own a cage, so my buddy is my only transportation.
Modern Buddy Member #2753
<a href="http://www.raleighscooter.org/index.html">Raleigh Scooter Organization</a> #45
Official S.P.A.Z. Member
Xena

Post by Xena »

I am with you on that :( I bought a full face modular helmet for the colder months ahead but am dreading when I won't even be able to ride...
Cheshire

Post by Cheshire »

Between work and an 80 lb puppy, cageless isn't an option for me.
If you go cageless, more power to ya! :D

There are some great resources out there for carfree living.
7eregrine

Post by 7eregrine »

I'm thinking you should wait a few months before making that decision. 3 weeks? Easy there. ;)
I will not join a racist club that thinks one color is better then another. We are ALL BUDDY'S!
Scooter Hoot

Post by Scooter Hoot »

Even before I had a scooter, I lived a full summer in Seattle with no car at all. I still have my '02 Sable, but the thing is already falling apart, and would require significantly more than the car is worth to actually fix it up. The only times I drive it now are grocery runs, and I'll probably stop doing that once I get a top case and saddle bags. Once the car actually dies I might just not bother to replace it.

If you happen to live in a city that has it, Zipcar is a pretty cool car rental/ car sharing program. It lets you rent a car with a lot less hassles than going to an actual car rental place.
taile84

Post by taile84 »

Becktastic wrote:
olhogrider wrote:Before kids I only rode a motorcycle. Even after one kid I stuck to two wheels but after that I had to have a car. Now my daughter rides the Buddy and I'm stuck with the Vespa!

I second that sister! Maybe one day, but right now..... Kids.....**shudder** LOL

Vroom Vroom, here I come! riding it like I stole it.
MrChet

Post by MrChet »

I was in the same place...

bought the buddy thinking I would replace my car and share the Subaru with my reluctant wife. I wanted to reduce my carbon footprint (emissions, tires, parts, oil, waste) and buy less gas (along with cut the insurance and maintenance in half).

went ahead and sold an 05 hatchback, lived the scooter-only life for a couple weeks (which was fine btw) but then was smitten by a car that I always wanted (Audi TT) I found on a craigslist junkie binge weekend.

ended up buying the TT but netting an extra $5K in the bank from the sale of my newer car. The TT is a blast to drive 1-2 times a week. I scooter around town and to work most of the time. Wife and I still take the Outback out together (haven't bothered to try shoe horning a carseat in the the coupe but from what I have read it is possible).

Net costs:

+$5000 in the bank (towards house upgrade for spawn #2 in a few years)
~$20 month buddy gas for around 400-450 miles
~$50 gas a month for the TT (literally fill it up once a month or less vs 3 times a month pre-scooter for the 05)
Loads of fun scootering
Loads of fun in the TT and a car to drive when the weather or work situation requires it (i.e Business formal attire or travel to an engagement on the FWY)

I plan on keeping this particular cage forever and not getting a new car. I figure I may do a new scoot in a few years when the buddy gets a little older. I think in the end I did OK financially. Of course we would have had a lot more money w/o buying the second car. But, you have to live life too sometimes and do things for fun every now and then (I've been pining for that car since I saw the concept in 95) ;).

We are using significantly less gas than before all this happened. With the limited driving the 2nd car gets we are also going through consumables at a much slower pace. I'm looking forward to replacing the family wagon in a few years with a 30-40MPG hybrid/clean diesel to continue the trend.

Good luck with whatever you decide. I would say if your situation dictates that you need a car enough to justify the expense then keep it. Kids are a huge part of that equation. I do think that if finances dictated it my family would do just fine with one car and a scooter. Wife and I (and several of our friends who thought I was crazy to try 1 car with a baby) had good debates about this. If it was something easy to do (share a car, coordinate schedules and trips) everyone would do it. Fact of the matter is that it's not easy at first but entirely plausible if you really want to save a lot of money, reduce gas consumption and emissions and generally live a more eco-friendly lifestyle.

OT: Having a buddy is great but I wouldn't trade the experience of being a dad for anything in the world. It has been truly amazing and incomparably rewarding.
Last edited by MrChet on Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
taile84

Post by taile84 »

Becktastic wrote:

I second that sister! Maybe one day, but right now..... Kids.....**shudder** LOL

Vroom Vroom, here I come! riding it like I stole it.
Portland_Rider
Location: Free Territory of the Pacific Northwest (Kalifornia refugee)

Isn't your Buddy your kid?

Post by Portland_Rider »

My Buddy is my kid.

When I need access to a car for a couple of hours there is ZipCar and if I need access for a couple days there are rental services.

Of course, when I finally get a dog, my feelings may change as to which one is my primary kid; the Buddy or the pooch :roll:

Becktastic and taile84, I have faith that if or when either of you decide to have a real kid of your own; your kids will be adorable.
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

Its not that hard to do(At least in the NW). I've been using my Buddy as my driver non-stop since February. I'm not cage free, but since my cars(5 of them!) are all Hotrods, they can now spend their time at shows and on the track instead of taking me around town and to work :) Just get the right gear for your weather conditions, and enjoy yourself!
Becktastic

Post by Becktastic »

7eregrine wrote:I'm thinking you should wait a few months before making that decision. 3 weeks? Easy there. ;)
But I'm a big fan of making choices before I think too much about them! :P

If I end up needing a car, I think I'd be better off with -any other car-. Mine is a Toyota 4Runner, has a bajillion miles and years of abuse. It lost compression in one of the cylinders, so now it's a V5 :roll: gets about 12 miles to the gallon. I'm not even sure what I can get for it, all I know is, I don't want it.
Lift heavy eat clean!
7eregrine

Post by 7eregrine »

I'm one of those people that ADORES his car, as well, so even if I lived with no winter, nothing would make me ditch baby #1. ;)
I will not join a racist club that thinks one color is better then another. We are ALL BUDDY'S!
Crepusculum

Post by Crepusculum »

Living in Tucson too, I get out and ride whenever I can. Sometimes though with 3 dogs it would be hard to fit them on the bike.
'06 BMW K1200 R
'08 Buddy 150
Tysonviolin

Post by Tysonviolin »

Crepusculum wrote:Living in Tucson too, I get out and ride whenever I can. Sometimes though with 3 dogs it would be hard to fit them on the bike.
Double side cars and a trailer. I've been enjoying the scooter only life since I got my Buddy. I am very disappointed every time I have to drive a car. It's just not fun enough.
Scooting is ZEN....
Becktastic

Post by Becktastic »

gt1000 wrote:If I lived in Arizona it would be a no-brainer. My biggest problem would be riding when it's too hot.
It's really not bad, it helps my helmet and jacket are light colored. I get a little sweaty at stop lights, but when it turns green I air dry quickly :)

My Cortech jacket and Vega helmet have great ventilation. :D
Lift heavy eat clean!
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

Becktastic wrote:
gt1000 wrote:If I lived in Arizona it would be a no-brainer. My biggest problem would be riding when it's too hot.
It's really not bad, it helps my helmet and jacket are light colored. I get a little sweaty at stop lights, but when it turns green I air dry quickly :)

My Cortech jacket and Vega helmet have great ventilation. :D
Yeah, I'm actually COOLER wearing my Fieldsheer mesh jacket than without it.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

I was car-less for about 2 years here, though my wife had a car the whole time. I bought a car when my commute and hours changed, then of course left that job after 5 months and now work from home until I find something else. At the moment, I don't need my new car, but I looooovvve it even though it's mostly weekend transport now. If I find another onsite job, I may need it so…

But, yes, a no-car life can be had. It's important to have some form of backup transportation, though. Either a live-in s.o. with a car, good mass transit, zipcar, something. At some point, your scoot will be in the shop for a few days or the weather will turn bad or who knows what will happen and you'll need alternate transport.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Becktastic

Post by Becktastic »

ericalm wrote:But, yes, a no-car life can be had. It's important to have some form of backup transportation, though. Either a live-in s.o. with a car, good mass transit, zipcar, something. At some point, your scoot will be in the shop for a few days or the weather will turn bad or who knows what will happen and you'll need alternate transport.
If my scoot goes in the shop for a few days, I'll just ride on the back of armacham's ^_^

Weather is pretty predictable here.

There are good bus lines...but I think the bus in Tucson is scary.
Lift heavy eat clean!
Scootress

Post by Scootress »

I am like an organic chicken...cage-free. :D

It works out most of the time here in Seattle...with good rain gear. I don't ride on the (rare) occasions when there's snow or ice on the road. On those days, it's the bus, or, occasionally, Zipcar.

I'm still jealous of those cities that have decent public transit (NYC, Boston) but I'm happy that this climate is mild enough to ride nearly year-round. I just turned over 4k miles yesterday. Wahoo!
"Never attribute to malice what can be explained by mere stupidity."
evilscooterkitty

Post by evilscooterkitty »

Back in the Pleistocene epoch when I was in school, I got around on a ratty Vespa P. Several of my friends also had "only" a scooter or motorcycle. One of our friends had a station wagon. Whenever we REALLY needed a car, that's what we used.

I know quite a few people who get by with renting a car when they need one and they report much higher levels of happiness without being burdened by car ownership.

Dump that cage!
sunshinen

Post by sunshinen »

I got rid of my car this summer. But I had 2 years of riding under my belt, and am glad that I did. At the beginning my skills at riding in the rain/wind/etc were not up for not having a car. But weather here can be severe. My Buddy has been knocked over by storms multiple times. It was nice to have a safer option so I didn't feel compelled to ride on days that were questionable for my skill level.

BUT... without the expenses of a car (insurance, taxes, replacing dead batteries, replacing tires with wall rot...) which were piling on from neglecting the vehicle :D I now have a taxi/car rental fund that I can tap if I need to get somewhere on a snowy day or need to haul larger items.

I love being without my cage. Love it.
chloefpuff

Post by chloefpuff »

Becktastic wrote: I would rather have a scooter than a kid :twisted:
Then I shall be your role model, Becktastic. Look to me for everything you do and think (not really, just kidding).
However, I find my life with a scooter and without spawn quite delightful.
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

Jrman wrote:I have had my scooter for 6 weeks and have only taken my car to work one time. I love to scoot in the rain too. It helps that I live in Florida and can look forward to year round scooting.

I do have to drive the cage some on weekends. Only when I have to go somewhere with my wife... :sigh:
I've had mine for about 10 months and can count on one hand the times I've needed our one car to get to work. I kind of like riding in the rain too... even the total downpours can be fun. FL really is great for scooter riding.

My wife and I would probably get rid of our car and get a second scooter but then where would we put the four-year-old??
chloefpuff

Post by chloefpuff »

Jrman wrote: My wife and I would probably get rid of our car and get a second scooter but then where would we put the four-year-old??
I recommend a topcase.
Becktastic

Post by Becktastic »

chloefpuff wrote:
Jrman wrote: My wife and I would probably get rid of our car and get a second scooter but then where would we put the four-year-old??
I recommend a topcase.
ROFL
Lift heavy eat clean!
Becktastic

Post by Becktastic »

evilscooterkitty wrote:Back in the Pleistocene epoch when I was in school, I got around on a ratty Vespa P. Several of my friends also had "only" a scooter or motorcycle. One of our friends had a station wagon. Whenever we REALLY needed a car, that's what we used.

I know quite a few people who get by with renting a car when they need one and they report much higher levels of happiness without being burdened by car ownership.

Dump that cage!
Right now my best friend is unemployed. When I need her to, she drives me around, I buy her breakfast, it works out fine :) Eventually she'll get a job though...
Lift heavy eat clean!
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

chloefpuff wrote:
jmazza wrote: My wife and I would probably get rid of our car and get a second scooter but then where would we put the four-year-old??
I recommend a topcase.
You're welcome for the easy setup, though I think either "pet carrier" or "saddle bags" might have been just a touch funnier!! :P
KCScooterDude

Post by KCScooterDude »

I do love driving a car, and I think that's why I like riding the scoot so much. It's pure driving. You are so connected with the world, too. And riding in the rain - I try not to do it on purpose, but there's nothing like getting caught in a heavy downpour, putting on the rain suit and riding. I love it!!!

I look at the scooter as an opportunity to pursue those driving experiences I've always been unable to do in the past. That's why I bought that old 3 series BMW to play around with. Some day - a club racing spec Miata to kill some cones down at the SCCA or maybe even race.

BTW, I'm looking at maxi-scoots right now and I have to say the winner this week is the Piaggio X9. The reason - the luggage hook. The Blur doesn't have one, but boy would it be handy. My first scoot had one. I could also fit my organizer in the pet carrier.
chloefpuff

Post by chloefpuff »

jmazza wrote: You're welcome for the easy setup, though I think either "pet carrier" or "saddle bags" might have been just a touch funnier!! :P
Yeah, that was too easy, wasn't it? Thanks!
sunshinen

Post by sunshinen »

I do have to concur, there is something about riding in the rain that is particularly rewarding. ... At least, when you're not nervous as hell. At rush hour, when all the cagers are out playing bumper cars... not so fun.

But I do love waterproof gear and calmly walking from my scooter to the office door... as the cagers run with newspapers melting onto their heads. :D
Becktastic

Post by Becktastic »

sunshinen wrote:I do have to concur, there is something about riding in the rain that is particularly rewarding. ... At least, when you're not nervous as hell. At rush hour, when all the cagers are out playing bumper cars... not so fun.

But I do love waterproof gear and calmly walking from my scooter to the office door... as the cagers run with newspapers melting onto their heads. :D
I'm not a big fan of riding in the rain. That one time a crazy cager tried to kill me, but just soaked me instead and another time I laid her down :( At least rain isn't a huge worry in this neck of the woods. The season has almost passed and by next year I should be more skilled and ready for it.
Lift heavy eat clean!
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Becktastic wrote:
sunshinen wrote:I do have to concur, there is something about riding in the rain that is particularly rewarding. ... At least, when you're not nervous as hell. At rush hour, when all the cagers are out playing bumper cars... not so fun.

I'm not a big fan of riding in the rain. That one time a crazy cager tried to kill me, but just soaked me instead and another time I laid her down :( At least rain isn't a huge worry in this neck of the woods. The season has almost passed and by next year I should be more skilled and ready for it.
I thought I'd like riding in the rain, but turns out I don't. I just feel the need to be SO cautious, it takes all the joy out of riding.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…