Cannonball Run!

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

ericalm
Site Admin

Cannonball Run!

Post by ericalm »

As some of you know, the Cannonball Run, a cross-country scooter race, takes off tomorrow from San Francisco. There are several ModernVespa members riding this year, and one ModernBuddy member, robonz, aka Rob Taylor. His Buddy 125 is the smallest displacement scooter on the run this year!

Cannonball veteran (first to do it on a Genuine PGO scoot—a Blur!) MB Moderator Emeritus jrsjr is riding support for the Cannonball.

You can track their progress and get links to their individual Cannonball pages here:
http://www.scootercannonball.com/

ModernVespa has a sticky up for their riders here:
http://www.modernvespa.com/forum/topic34091

For those unfamiliar with the Cannonball, it's run every 2 years. Riders often customize the heck out of their scooters, adding fuel tanks, storage and other mods to make them faster and better at handling the long way across.

Good luck to all riders. I'll be posting more about this over the next few days.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
olhogrider

Post by olhogrider »

I hope to see them off in the morning. I'll post pix if I can.
pedez2000

Post by pedez2000 »

i wish i had the time to do that.

good luck to all.
DennisD

Post by DennisD »

We all have the time to do it. We just choose to use our time differently in the name of "responsibility". Ugggh. :(
teacherquinn

Post by teacherquinn »

Stupid JOB.
Linda
Vice President
Vespa Club of America
Syd

Post by Syd »

pedez2000 wrote:i wish i had the time to do that.

good luck to all.
I wish I had the butt to do that!
The majority is always sane - Nessus
spencerpeterson85

Post by spencerpeterson85 »

Syd wrote:

good luck to all.
I've got the butt and the time, just not the money. :(
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery,
none but ourselves can free our minds,
Have no fear for atomic energy,
cause none of them can stop the time..."
-Bob Marley
brape

Post by brape »

you need to whore yourself out to sponsors :)
ScooterMcGee

Post by ScooterMcGee »

Syd wrote:

good luck to all.
We all have the butt to do it. We just choose to use our butt differently in the name of "responsibility".

Had to.
And if the county we invented will fall from grace
I guess we'll have to fly away in our own space...Think Locally ..F*ck Globally
I was once asked If I were a tattoo what would I be?... I responded Id be a teardrop Tattoo under a bloodshot eye.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

teacherquinn wrote:Stupid JOB.
Hey, you got your cross country ride. Plus—Cannonball 2010! Who's up for it?
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
emoboy44

Post by emoboy44 »

god...i want to. I think 2 years is ample time to prepare for such an event.
MMMMMMMMMMMMM
brape

Post by brape »

I'm going to try my arse off to do it in 2010. Since I'm going back to school and my current form of employment is a 6 month temp job I might be able to talk my parents into letting me take a semester off (ya know without kicking me out of the house for it)*

*its complicated story and I feel really pathetic moving back in with my parents when i'm 24 please don't make fun of me.
rudie11

Post by rudie11 »

Good Luck to all!

Have a safe ride!
BigColdMartini

Post by BigColdMartini »

I hope they find smooth roads and plesant tail winds for the entire jouney.
kookaburra02

Post by kookaburra02 »

ericalm wrote:
I'm in.
BeetleGoose

Post by BeetleGoose »

Yeah... stupid job!

I'm finding myself at a crossroads though... keep my job (which is fine now, but will get old very quickly), work at getting a Master's degree, and buy into the housing market...

or...

work at getting 2 Master's degrees (one on a part-time basis), quit this job for the fulltime degree, and wait years down the road to buy a house.

Option 2 would allow me my summers and winters off for riding these runs though... :wink:
spencerpeterson85

Post by spencerpeterson85 »

2010 seems so far away... I should have money by then, right? :wink:
I'm in!
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery,
none but ourselves can free our minds,
Have no fear for atomic energy,
cause none of them can stop the time..."
-Bob Marley
teacherquinn

Post by teacherquinn »

ericalm wrote:
Yeah, I did that but this is the CANNONBALL. If I could swing the time from work I'd totally be in. And I definitely have the butt for it. I have 9 weeks or so off in the summer but I'm back by mid-August. I'd have to sub it out for 2+ weeks. I'll see who my administrator is in two years and get back to you! Sorry, but I wouldn't do it on the Buddy.
Linda
Vice President
Vespa Club of America
maribell

Post by maribell »

kookaburra02 wrote:
ericalm wrote:
I'm in.
Is this orange campus buddy or a certain member of a certain scooter club with flowers on it?

*sigh* In 2010, I will have finally graduated from college, can buy myself a brand new stella, and maybe be able to do it!!!
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Looks like a pink Buddy made it to Alice's for the pre-run meal yesterday. MB member?

(photo by Cannonballer feb31st)

Sounds like some riders had mechanical troubles and got stuck in Yosemite for the night. From reading all the blogs, it sounds like a lot of riders, regardless of how much preparation they'd done, experienced some difficulties or obstacles along the way.
olhogrider

Post by olhogrider »

Using my Oregon Scientific video camera for the first time, I shot the first leg from Ocean Beach into a fog bank. The RAM mount on my mirror stem introduced a lot of vibration and the sound is really bad :cry: Anyway, for another first for me, I'm uploading it to youtube. I'll post when it is up.
jaded

Post by jaded »

ericalm wrote: Looks like a pink Buddy made it to Alice's for the pre-run meal yesterday. MB member?
One of my clubmates. I don't believe she is an MB member.
olhogrider

Post by olhogrider »

Here's the video I promised.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9bi4PLoiqQ
newslinky

Post by newslinky »

As soon as I hit the lottery I am in! :D
Proud owner of a Buddy St. Tropez 150
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

One rider out, another crashed.

Bobo had to drop out of the race because his daughter had to go to the hospital. He left his GTV for use as a support bike, which was fortuitous because…

Joel Hamilton dumped his GTS after a steering bearing or some other mechanical failure. Pics on his Cannonball blog. He's okay and was granted use of Bobo's scoot for the rest of the run.

MB Cannonballer Rob Taylor is 2nd in his class. Pretty good considering he's on a 125 and the other 2 riders in that class are both on SYM HD 200s.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Joel's crash report on ModernVespa:
Joel Hamilton wrote:I crashed today going about 55mph. Jess was behind me. I had just passed him, and something mechanical and weird with the clutch freaking out, coupled with a hard line through a long sweeper, and load shift (i was carrying a bunch of extra gas today for the 180 mile stretch without services).

Jess said that it looked like if you took a gingerbread man and threw it like a shuriken... that was me. my GTS is completely totalled. I loaded the wreckage into the truck, and unloaded Bobo's GTV and rode the rest of the 419 mile day. I am now in 7th place, as I lost an hour by wrecking horribly.
Showing up late, and then having to take the LeoV off of my wrecked scoot because the muffler bushing decided to go on Bobo's GTV on my FIRST day of riding it. Jess and OZ totally saved my ass with tools and know how. After wrecking, laying in a greasy parking spot in a random hotel parking lot, trying to get the F%^&#*^&#*ing Leo V to mate with the bike properly was FUN TIMES FOR ALL. But now bobo has a new leo V on his bike, and all is well in the world. Being left alone in a helmet to think about your wipeout all day wasnt very fun, but Pete made it fun by hanging out and we rode together the whole way after the wreck.
The whole crew is coming together now, it seems. A collective purpose to bring us together... especially since Jess knows I am not out in front of him anymore. I am bummed. I wanted to win it, but I am TOTALLY happy to be riding across the country with a great bunch of people, and enjoying the scenery more now.
At least I was #1 on the first day... ;)
My blog has some pictures. Petes probably does too...
Jess said that by all rights, Joel should be dead. Only a combination of gear and soft/loose desert surface on the side of the road saved his bacon.
:shock:
Alix B

Post by Alix B »

Glad he's still going. Sorry to hear about Bobo's daughter and hope is all well there.

GO ROB!!!!
jperkins

Post by jperkins »

where is the link to that tracker page rob posted about a week ago?
MB Member #322
Eazy

Post by Eazy »

I wonder if robs having some problems, he doesn't have as many miles as some of the others in his class.
-Ian Follow Me
'08 Genuine Stella - "totaled"
'06 Honda Elite 80 - "bullet proof"
Eazy Scoots.
OKBubbles

Post by OKBubbles »

Eazy wrote:I wonder if robs having some problems, he doesn't have as many miles as some of the others in his class.
According to the CB website, points are based on miles + the ability to maintain the stated speeds. I've participated in car rallies, and you get points added or subtracted based on hitting designated checkpoints at certain intervals.

This sounds like such a great ride. I'm glad we can participate vicariously!
olhogrider

Post by olhogrider »

Eazy wrote:I wonder if robs having some problems, he doesn't have as many miles as some of the others in his class.
My guess is the others took a longer route to rack up more miles. Since the Buddy is one of the slower bikes, he probably took the shorter route. The Lammy I stopped to help had his GPS programmed by a friend for the fastest route.
Eazy

Post by Eazy »

OKBubbles wrote:
According to the CB website, points are based on miles + the ability to maintain the stated speeds. I've participated in car rallies, and you get points added or subtracted based on hitting designated checkpoints at certain intervals.

This sounds like such a great ride. I'm glad we can participate vicariously!
Oh, it's points not miles. Ok, that makes more sense. I thought that might be it but I didn't look at it hard enough.
-Ian Follow Me
'08 Genuine Stella - "totaled"
'06 Honda Elite 80 - "bullet proof"
Eazy Scoots.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

olhogrider wrote:
My guess is the others took a longer route to rack up more miles. Since the Buddy is one of the slower bikes, he probably took the shorter route. The Lammy I stopped to help had his GPS programmed by a friend for the fastest route.
They're all on the same route. Helps with support vehicles, etc. See the above comments re: points.
olhogrider

Post by olhogrider »

ericalm wrote: They're all on the same route. Helps with support vehicles, etc. See the above comments re: points.
Very few of them took the same route from Alice's to Mt. Hamilton. Obviously, the highway across the desert leaves no other options. Still doesn't answer the question of where Rob is and how he's doing.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Ah, here we go. He's not using Spot, that's why it took me a while to find this.
robonz23 wrote:i am trying out a program called LocateA that will allow you to track my progress in semi real time (every 60 seconds) with my gps (i think it also works with cell phones w/o gps)

if you go www.locatea.net on the left side you can enter a tracking id number into a blank field

tracking id# AEF-1220121606 (i don't think this will change but i'll keep you updated

right now if you look it up it should just show that i'm at my house. it will show how fast i am going (0 mph currently) what direction i'm heading and provides a map that you can view in birdseye view like a satellite or aerial photo. you can also turn on the "snail trail" and it will not only show where i am but where i've been. you can send messages to me. lots of other bells and whistles that i haven't figured out yet.

check it out for my ride or for tracking down those crazy kids of yours, it was designed for delivery and fleet drivers to be tracked by their company.
Well, the number above has expired. :(
I don't see anything on his site. Maybe some of the riders checking in on MV will reply there.
enzomatic

Post by enzomatic »

ericalm wrote:Image
Looks like a pink Buddy made it to Alice's for the pre-run meal yesterday. MB member?

(photo by Cannonballer feb31st)

Sounds like some riders had mechanical troubles and got stuck in Yosemite for the night. From reading all the blogs, it sounds like a lot of riders, regardless of how much preparation they'd done, experienced some difficulties or obstacles along the way.
I should have just got off my arse and went up to alice's, it's only like 45 minutes away. Hung out with that girl on the pink buddy a few months ago at alice's, she had an SFSG sash and was apparently was passing 250s on the 101 freeway for the ride down. She said she isn't on MB because she had some trouble signing up and gave up.
Looking for ppl to ride with in LA.
olhogrider

Update on Cannonballers

Post by olhogrider »

Copied from Modern Vespa
jess wrote:Rob is doing okay, albeit slowly due to the altitude. He was among the half of the riders who didn't crash today.

I crashed, glasseye crashed, Biohazard crashed, Mark (East Coast) crashed several times (I heard), Roy crashed, and JimT crashed. Of those, only JimT was seriously hurt. He broke a couple of ribs and his collarbone, then got back on his bike and rode himself 100+ miles out of the remote wilderness to the hotel, with an exam from an EMT along the way. I think he's done, though. I saw his Big Ruckus headed out of the hotel on the back of a truck.

The culprit for all of us was the 40 miles of dirt, gravel, switchback, and washboard on the way to Lake Powell. Beautiful scenery, but falling sucks.

I'm okay. My bike is torn up something fierce, but I'm only moderately sore. We'll see how stiff I am tomorrow, but I actually feel pretty good tonight.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

olhogrider, I added the quotes to your post to make it clear who the "I" is in the copied section.
enzomatic wrote:She said she isn't on MB because she had some trouble signing up and gave up.
:cry:
No reason to give up! I would have registered her!
jperkins

Post by jperkins »

do we have a status on rob?
MB Member #322
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

jperkins wrote:do we have a status on rob?
See olhogrider's post above.

EDIT, new info:
Joel Hamilton wrote:Everybody is filing in to the hotel here in, um... colorado... oh yeah , Salida, CO.

Nice ride up and over the monarch pass today. Elevation: 11,800. Everyons bike was huffing up that mountain. Rob did AWESOME, and came in pretty damn early. He showed up long before a bunch of the bigger bikes! Rob is totally great, man. Everyone is cheering for him on every single day. I am glad to be on this ride with that guy.

FOr 50 being called the "loneliest highway" it sure was filled with RV traffic today. Getting around those thingies when the only passing lanes are on an uphill at 8,000 feet above sea level twisting above a ravine that is 1000 feet down on the edge of the road with no guard rail in places was not that funny. Sometimes it was, sometimes it wasnt.. especially if the driver decides to floor it right as you are trying to get back in line...

Everyone seemed to really make good time today. Patrick got pulled over by the cops for some BS charge of crossing a double yellow because he was leaning over it ! SO lame. I have been amazed at how well his and pete's SYM200's have been doing. they really haul ass even in a straight line when the riders dont matter as much.
It is a bummer that pete has to bail tomorrow. I am looking forward to reading his blog and seeing his pictures though.
okay... need to chill and log my times...
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

I am trying to follow this the best I can, but I can't seem to figure out why in the heck so many people are crashing. It is not like it is the 8 ball run or anything. What gives? Lets hope the rest of the ride is safe for these guys (are there any gals? gals too!)
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

peabody99 wrote:I am trying to follow this the best I can, but I can't seem to figure out why in the heck so many people are crashing. It is not like it is the 8 ball run or anything. What gives? Lets hope the rest of the ride is safe for these guys (are there any gals? gals too!)
They hit a really long stretch that was essentially twisties covered in loose dirt and rock. Have a look at the MV thread; there are pics there. The gist was that anyone who hadn't ridden on dirt was at a severe disadvantage and many went down.
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

http://www.modernvespa.com/forum/topic34091?start=120

holy crap (see page 4 of the thread) that explains a lot. I am suprised roads like that are on the run- but I guess that is part of the deal. I could go real, real slow down that road. glad Rob and the Buddy made it
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

peabody99 wrote:http://www.modernvespa.com/forum/topic34091?start=120

holy crap (see page 4 of the thread) that explains a lot. I am suprised roads like that are on the run- but I guess that is part of the deal. I could go real, real slow down that road. glad Rob and the Buddy made it
Yeah, I was kind of surprised that was part of the route. I don't know how the route is researched ahead of time.
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

they have not posted the results yet, but it sounds like our lone Buddy rider, Rob is hanging in. Go Rob!
robtaylor

Post by robtaylor »

sorry guys, the buddy is hanging tough but i'm am dog tired after every leg and have not tried to blog on the tilt phone i brought along. i'll try to update my locateA position now so you can track where i am for the rest of the ride.
formerly known as robonz23

www.cannonballbuddy.com
robtaylor

Post by robtaylor »

6E0-1221624142
ok i generated a new tracking ID i will go to my room now and sync up the phone to this tracking number and you should be able to see at least where we are at the beginning and end of each day

just go to locatea.net and enter the above tracking number and see if it works
formerly known as robonz23

www.cannonballbuddy.com
paige

Post by paige »

emoboy44 wrote:god...i want to. I think 2 years is ample time to prepare for such an event.
No, 2 years is not enough time to prepare, just enough time to worry that you aren't prepared enough.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Folks, Rob may need a carb in St. Louis. I've emailed him, but it's late there. Can anyone help out?

topic8111.html

Jess' blog said they rebuilt the carb, so hopefully that's the case and Rob can continue.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

I'm really wrapped up in the Run this year, following the blogs and forums as much as I can. It really is about more than a bunch of wackos scootering across the country—it's a test of endurance, riding skills, and technical abilities. They spend a lot of time working on their scooters at the stops, scooters many have spent a year building or customizing just for the Run. There's been a lot of drama—the good kind—and I'm endlessly fascinated with what's happening with the riders.
paige wrote:
emoboy44 wrote:god...i want to. I think 2 years is ample time to prepare for such an event.
No, 2 years is not enough time to prepare, just enough time to worry that you aren't prepared enough.
After reading recent updates, I've realized I need a lot more wrench time and a second scoot before undertaking the CB in 2010. Who knows? In a couple years, I may be in a position to put a new engine in my LX and go crazy.