Down Low Glow Lights

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

BuddyLicious

Down Low Glow Lights

Post by BuddyLicious »

If there is one thing bikes and scooters both have in common,it's being somewhat invisible to cagers.I ran across these down low glow lights that seem pretty decent in quality and price.At first i admit when i seen the lights,i thought of people pimping their rides but after further investigation on the site,especially watching the videos,i could only think i really should have some side lighting.Anyway what do you guy's think of these lights? You think it's a good idea? Is side lighting as important? The lights come in 6 colors too.

https://store.rockthebike.com/lights/do ... visibility
Aerosmith, None Other.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Those are kind of cool, but would be illegal in CA. :(

Check your state codes to see if you can do something like this on a motorized vehicle.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Steven.

Post by Steven. »

Eric - I thought you could add neons underneath, LED's, and the like. When did they become illegal? I used to see lots of sporty cars with neons, and thought that I stopped seeing them because they had just gone out of fashion.
dorian

Post by dorian »

You can get the lights that are amber in color and they are legal in California. I have ultra-violet lights on my motorcycle and haven't had a cop pull me over in the 5 years that I've had them. I did have one CHP approach me at the rest area on I-5 at Oceanside and ask me where I got them. He wanted to get a set for his bike (I have the front lights doing the Knight Rider thing, chasing back and forth across the front vent)

I've always been ready to be pulled over and cited. In fact, the only reason I originally did the lights was for bike shows. But to date, no hassles. But if you want to be 100% sure, use amber lights.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Steven. wrote:Eric - I thought you could add neons underneath, LED's, and the like. When did they become illegal? I used to see lots of sporty cars with neons, and thought that I stopped seeing them because they had just gone out of fashion.
I don't know when they got banned. As dorian said, some lights are legal, but there are codes dictating color, placement and behavior.

CA codes on lighting:
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/vc/vc_ ... ndlighting

Basically, anything not red, white or amber is a violation and even those have usage and location restrictions.
Running Lamps

25109. Any motor vehicle may be equipped with two white or amber running lamps mounted on the front, one at each side, which shall not be lighted during darkness except while the motor vehicle is parked.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

I almost bought these... but then remembered I am 41

BigColdMartini

Post by BigColdMartini »

Your age doesn't matter but I wouldn't put them on my Buddy. There's a post warning about these causing a catastrophic wheel failure and a serious crash. Beware my friend.
Pita1963

Post by Pita1963 »

BigColdMartini wrote:Your age doesn't matter but I wouldn't put them on my Buddy. There's a post warning about these causing a catastrophic wheel failure and a serious crash. Beware my friend.
Anyone have that old post? I tried the lights but they fell apart almost immediately ... been trying to find something to help with night visibility...

Robb

:?:
The answer is : 42
MarsR

Post by MarsR »

Pita1963 wrote:
BigColdMartini wrote:Your age doesn't matter but I wouldn't put them on my Buddy. There's a post warning about these causing a catastrophic wheel failure and a serious crash. Beware my friend.
Anyone have that old post? I tried the lights but they fell apart almost immediately ... been trying to find something to help with night visibility...

Robb

Here is the link.
MB#1749 RBC#8

"I have GOT to get me one of THESE!"
--Captain Steven Hiller (Will Smith), Independence Day
tunseeker1

Post by tunseeker1 »

Most states the lamps are not legal, but the glow is usually legal. If you can see the tubes then its not usually legal.
Jake

Post by Jake »

Pita1963 wrote:

Robb

Reflective rim tape will help with visibility.
http://www.tapeworks.com/Rimstripes/RimstripesHome.html
addictionriot

Post by addictionriot »

Jake wrote:
Pita1963 wrote:

Robb

Reflective rim tape will help with visibility.
http://www.tapeworks.com/Rimstripes/RimstripesHome.html

My rim tape is awesome. I had also purchased neon tube lights for my buddy. The only problem is I had to put them underneath my trim and they werent bright enough to be seen. So its time to bite the bullet and buy some LEDs
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

I went with reflective pin stripe
topic7346.html

I had to re-do a couple strips becasue the reflective stripes like to crack (a day later) wher you bend it too much
but I am very happy with it now that I know how to handle it

It REALLY lights up my scooter when car headlights it it