Scooter wont start need some help

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

BOBO

Scooter wont start need some help

Post by BOBO »

Im new to the site and found it looking up information on how to fix my Buddy 125. I recently found the scooter laying on its side (to the right) and I think it was like that for multiple hours. Once it was back up right it wouldn't start. I thought it was flooded, so I let it sit for a week or so (also to make sure everything flowed back to its original position). Now I am up to over a month with no Scoot.
I tried changing the spark plug. The new one does spark.
I tried emptying out the gas tank and the 2 lines to the carb. Then filled it back up with fresh gas.
I charged the battery up, and again this made no difference.

Now I'm not sure what to try. Is there a shut off valve that may have tripped when it was on its side?

Also I know nothing about how to find out if the carb is good. I have the service manual, the part index, and illustrations (which are pretty useless).
Ill take any help if anyone has had a similar problem
sradwick

Post by sradwick »

Kill switch is off?
BOBO

Post by BOBO »

The kill switch on the right handle bar?
That's on. It sounds like it wants to crank but maybe no gas is getting inside. I figured it might have had a safety shutoff when the angle goes to far or something.
Cheshire

Post by Cheshire »

As stupid as it sounds, are you holding in at least one brake when you try to crank it? I did that several times today...got all freaked out because I thought I had done something to my brand new scoot, then remembered about the brake. *facepalm* :roll:
BOBO

Post by BOBO »

Yeah, got the brake on. If I don't it doesn't turn over at all. I just cant figure this out. All that happened was it fell over and now something is jammed up or broken.
Cheshire

Post by Cheshire »

I'm running on pure theory and heresay/talking with people (read: no actual experience. you were warned), but...
Could the carb itself, not the lines, be clogged? I'm wondering if something that had settled in the tank managed to float down the line and actually be clogging the thingit that sprays fuel.

Again, big grain of salt with this, as I've never actually messed with engines, just talked to people and read on here about them.
BOBO

Post by BOBO »

That's the direction I'm leaning. Either some kind of clog in the carb or something with the float inside there. I seem to see that solution on a bunch of posts. The problem is I am a little intimidated to go that far into the guts. But at the same time, it sucks not to have a ride.
charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

After cranking the engine for a few seconds (or even longer), do you notice a strong smell of raw gas at the exhaust? If so, then you're at least getting fuel through the carb.

I'm not that familiar with the Buddies, but many scooters have a charcoal-filled evaportive cannister in the fuel system. If tipped in the right direction, it can become saturated with fuel causing problems with the entire system. I believe that one of the symptoms is difficult/impossible starting. Sort of like flooding the carb all the time.

So, if you are smelling raw fuel at the exhaust, or if your spark plug is soaked with fuel after cranking the engine, you may want to temporarily disconnect this cannister (if so equipped) and try a few starts.
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

The buddy does use a charcoal canister. It causes many problems to new owners when they overfill their tanks. Too much gas dripping into it since the tank is stuffed to the max. When the bike tipped over, gas could have flooded the can and it may be the cause to your troubles. People have enough problems starting the bike up from a small stall on the side of the road. Disconnecting the cannister may be the only way to fix and get the bike starting back up.
BOBO

FIXED!

Post by BOBO »

Well, I got it running.
I ended up disconnecting the carb on both ends and had rotated it back to the other side (driver's left). Then after realizing I didn't want to go to much further, I put it back in the normal position. I tried to crank it and it fired right up. I did notice some gas leaked out this little black hose connected to the bottom side of the carb (drivers left). Not sure what I did but it works now! Thanks for the post.