Winter Preparation / Storage

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

bradfid

Winter Preparation / Storage

Post by bradfid »

Any tips on preparation for winter storage? My wife won't be riding her Buddy 125 this winter so I need to get it tucked away for the winter.

I've got some fuel stabilizer already and the battery tender, any other tips or tricks?
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

Looks like you got it ready just about. Make sure you run the engine with the stabil/gas mixture to get it into the entire fuel system. Just adding stabil into the tank itself will do nothing to keep the gas in the fuel lines and carb gumming.
BuddyLove

Post by BuddyLove »

If you go to www.youtube.com and look up "Scooterville" we video recorded our winterizing clinic. It goes in depth on what you can do to winterize your scooter.
Moosy

Post by Moosy »

I just leave mine in the garage and fire it up every so often. I wonder why people go to the hassle on winterizing when this is easier....
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

Even starting it up, the ethanol in the gasoline will soon separate and gunk up just because the gas gets old, that's why adding stabilizer to the gasoline helps "winterize" the bike.
Moosy

Post by Moosy »

jfrost2 wrote:Even starting it up, the ethanol in the gasoline will soon separate and gunk up just because the gas gets old, that's why adding stabilizer to the gasoline helps "winterize" the bike.
But, doesn't burning the gas prevent this? I mean, if you're letting your gas get that old, then sure, winterize it. But running the buddy prevents the gas from getting old because you're using it.
ScooterTrash

Post by ScooterTrash »

Moosy wrote:
jfrost2 wrote:Even starting it up, the ethanol in the gasoline will soon separate and gunk up just because the gas gets old, that's why adding stabilizer to the gasoline helps "winterize" the bike.
But, doesn't burning the gas prevent this? I mean, if you're letting your gas get that old, then sure, winterize it. But running the buddy prevents the gas from getting old because you're using it.
Leaving it in the garage and starting it occasionally wont do you any good. The gas gets old weather its been run or not. The best thing to do is put stabilizer in the gas, run it for 10 minutes, drain the barrel of the carburetor and hook the battery up to a tender. Next thing to do is not touch it till spring. :wink:
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

Burning 1 gallon may seem fast, but starting the engine and letting it run burns so little gas, that the main gas in the tank will still gunk up and go stale after a while.
Kevin K

Post by Kevin K »

She rides: nothing yet
He rides: crappy 35 year-old Vespa (and 70cc Rattler)

Minnesota Motorcyle Monthly

My SmugMug
Moosy

Post by Moosy »

Sorry, I guess I wasn't clear - I'm not just letting the scooter sit and run (well sometimes I do), I'm actually riding it! Just...not to work like I was when it was warmer. I use it for shorter trips around the area. I don't think I would like to avoid the scooter until springtime. :(

Even if it's ridiculously cold, riding the Buddy gives me the feeling that summer is just a wee bit closer than perhaps it really is. :)