the great white north

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

kneil67@yahoo.com

the great white north

Post by kneil67@yahoo.com »

planning on riding as much as i can this winter any Ideas to keep me warm planning on lots of layers I even heard that there are studded tires for scoots New Hampshire sure gets cold brrrrrrr. :P :clap:
Attachments
250px-FlitknotSpeeder.jpg
250px-FlitknotSpeeder.jpg (5.26 KiB) Viewed 788 times
DennisD

Post by DennisD »

Move south.
olhogrider

Post by olhogrider »

Buy a Hummer and use all the aerosol cans you can. Help global warming. It will raise your property values!
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

There are tons of winter tips around, though they'll require some searching and digging. Maybe it's time to do a "winter tips" roundup. Anyone want to take that on?

I don't obsess over it because, well, I live in SoCal. I got a Spiewak parka I'm adding armor to and I have some really good gloves. That's about it for me.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
DennisD

Post by DennisD »

Windbreaker under my mesh jacket for both frigid days, the one in January and the one in February.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

DennisD wrote:Windbreaker under my mesh jacket for both frigid days, the one in January and the one in February.
That's winter in Penacola for ya. Doubt that would cut it in NH!
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
DennisD

Post by DennisD »

Yeah, I used to live in Newport, R.I. BRRRRRRRRRR!
kmetta

Post by kmetta »

i was riding home the other night, and i damn near froze to death.

It was teetering around the higher end of 40 and it sure put me in a daze. I pulled over and put my hooded sweatshirt on--under my helmet and jacket, and even that didn't help much.

I was chilled to the bone. I've worked up a plan for next time though!!! i will share how it works out.

NH BUDDY CREW?
My name is Kyle, and i am a wannabee Highway addict.
Cheshire

Post by Cheshire »

Don't put cotton next to your skin. It's nice and soft, but after a while it actually wicks heat AWAY from you.
BuddyLicious

Post by BuddyLicious »

Get you a 1 piece snowmobile suit.Along with that get some heated grips.
Aerosmith, None Other.
DennisD

Post by DennisD »

Pick one of these and get a couple of bungees and you will have the first climate control system on a Buddy.

kneil67@yahoo.com

Post by kneil67@yahoo.com »

thanks everyone for the comments any thing on studded tires I have an insulated army feild jacket, stocking cap,insulated socks, face mask need some gloves and im leaning towards red baron goggles, it wold be awesome at the bank........
Attachments
1760772271.jpg
1760772271.jpg (4.43 KiB) Viewed 645 times
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

I don't know about studded tires… Bridgestone used to make a snow tire in the Buddy's size (3.5x10 for the 125s/150s). The only one I know of now in that size is the Heidenau K58. SIP Scootershop site says they have a 3.5x10, but the Heidenau site doesn't list that size. May need to call to make sure.
newslinky

Post by newslinky »

kmetta wrote:i was riding home the other night, and i damn near froze to death.

It was teetering around the higher end of 40 and it sure put me in a daze. I pulled over and put my hooded sweatshirt on--under my helmet and jacket, and even that didn't help much.

I was chilled to the bone. I've worked up a plan for next time though!!! i will share how it works out.

NH BUDDY CREW?
Some questions/suggestions to hopefully help. First do you have a windshield on your Buddy? Keeping teh wind off of you will make a huge differenceso if not getting one should be top on the list. second to that would be getting the handlebar muffs from scooterworks or something similar. They alone will not do much but combine them keeping the wind from directly hitting your hands and some good winter riding gloves and your hands should stay toasty.(You may not have this problem since you didn't mention freezing digits but I include it for completeness) Layers are always good in cold weather and someone already mentioned avoiding cotton. A good quality windbreaker and riding skirt for the outer layer of upper and lower body will make a huge difference. Just my 2 cents hopefully a helpful 2 cents.
Proud owner of a Buddy St. Tropez 150