And the WINNER of our copy of Proficient Motorcycling is...

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

And the WINNER of our copy of Proficient Motorcycling is...

Post by jrsjr »

That's right, MB peeps! Win a FREE copy of the new 2nd Edition of "Proficient Motorcycling" (and CD) courtesy of Modern Buddy. All you have to do is tell us why you should get the book. We will pick the best post and send to the book to you absolutely free free free. Your post doesn't need to be long or highbrow literature or anything. We just want to know why you think you deserve the book. Are you tired of falling over in front of your girlfriend? Does your boyfriend run circles around you on his Ninja 250? Do you corner like a terrified little old lady? Do you use the front brake in the middle of turns and fly off the road? Or do you just want to hone your riding skills so you can keep up with the hotshoes in your club? What is it? We want to know! So, put your thinking caps on and tell us why you should be the one to get the book.

The contest ends Sunday night, September 28th, at Midnight SBT (Standard Buddy Time).

You have 5 days so take your time.

Of course, our decision about the winner is final.

May the best post win!!!
Last edited by jrsjr on Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

Make wit da book or da dog gets it!

Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

I'd just like to read through it to gain any insights that I'm not privy to. I consider myself a fairly intelligent rider, but I've got a mind for pushing the limits of both myself and my bike. I think I'd benefit from gaining from the wisdom of others and tweaking my sense of limit pushing and awareness of the physics of my ride. I'd also like to hone my awareness of various circumstances that regularly or rarely occur while riding. Guidance is always appreciated.

I'd also like to review the book with my wife, who is new to scootering. I want her to ride better than I ever could because I worry for her. Much of that worry is unwarranted, but a portion is. I want the both of us to be as safe as possible. Heck, I'll just buy the book outright in a week or two, it's a good investment, right?
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
R.McLeod

Post by R.McLeod »

I have never owned a motorized two wheeled vehicle before and will finally own my first this Thursday. After buying a helmet, Kryptonite chain, Xena lock, plus other gear, I won't have the additional funds to spend on books or MSF. So for the first month or so of riding I will be self taught and relying on the riding skills I've learned while bicycling, and the defensive driving skills I've learned in the cage. I plan on making this scooter a daily commuter to work and to get around town on weekends. I've soaked in a lot of information from MB members, but some in depth technical information would greatly increase my learning curve when it comes to proficient riding.
Go Team Venture!
Howardr

Post by Howardr »

I layed the scoot down in a left turn a few months ago and I'm still wary of turning left. My son recently bought a scoot and would not purchase the book for himself.
Additionally, I think we will starting a new scooter club here and it would a great item for a club lending library.
Iron Butt Association Member Number 42256
Club - The Sky Island Riders.
Publisher: The Scooter 'Zine thescooterzine.com
olhogrider

Post by olhogrider »

I want it!
LisaLisa

Post by LisaLisa »

I need it because my husband can at times be such a know-it-all, and I might sometimes ignore sound advice when it comes from him. But if I read the same thing in a book, then we can avoid the whole Mr. I-have-six-times-as-many-miles-on-my-scooter-so-I-know-better-than-you thing. :P and I'll just ride better.

Note- the above is an extremely rare occurrence, but I really hate when it happens.
Det finns inte dåligt väder bara dåliga kläder.
Drumwoulf

Post by Drumwoulf »

Want to give a copy to two women friends of mine who recently just bought a new motorcycle. The one with the MC license thinks that she shouldn't use the front brake at all.... :shock:
Namaste,
~drummer~

07 Buddy 125
07 Vespa GT200
BeetleGoose

Post by BeetleGoose »

Ok, so I can't think of anything epic to say, so I'll just say:

With great knowledge (from reading Proficient Motorcycling) comes great power (power to handle many motorcycling situations).

With great power comes great responsibility (the responsibility to take into action that which I would've learned from Proficient Motorcycling).

And thus, this would enable me to be a... dare I say it... Proficient Motorcyclist! Not a Superhero! :P

The End... or is it??? Dun dun DUNNNNN!!!! :wink:
I wanted a scooter; ended up buying a motorcycle instead.
Scooter Hoot

Post by Scooter Hoot »

I would like it!

I borrowed a copy from the library, but only got through chapter 2 before I had to return it. No, I'm not a slow reader, it just got forgotten for a week because I was busy studying up for the MSF class. I had one minor spill because I tried to quick stop AND swerve at the same time ... not the best of ideas, and I think that there's a pile of useful information and tips that I didn't get to in that book for me still.

I'm the first person in my entire family - at least out to the Aunt/Uncle/Cousin level to own a motorcycle (except for the one crazy step-uncle? with a Harley that we don't talk to all that much), and I'd like to show my parents some of the stuff I've already seen in the first chapter, and possibly more good info in later chapters. I mainly want to show them the data that backs up my point that by riding ATGATT, NEVER drinking while driving, taking the MSF class, etc. etc. etc. that I already do really helps me control the amount of risk I have. I know I'm never going to convince them that it's a good idea, but hopefully I can get them to understand that it's less of a bad idea at least, and show that I'm doing everything I can to make it safe.

Also my girlfriend will start learning how to ride in a couple months once she gets around to changing her state of residence from NJ to TX and can get a permit without having to fly halfway across the country. She's been wanting to start learning about how to ride, and then how to ride better, and could get a lot of use out of it.
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

Sure, I'd like a copy......... I pretty much learned to ride "by the seat of my pants" my son says I ride like an "old lady" :lol: :lol: I once made the real dumba** move of braking too hard with the front on gravel in a turn!!! DO I HAVE TO SAY MORE??
old and in the way

The FREE book!

Post by old and in the way »

:oops: You did say take your time,did you not? Well in timeley responce I sure would appreciate the chance to expand my knowledge of motorcycles[SCOOTERS] as the last book I consumed on the subject was "Zen And The Art Of Motorcycle Mantaince",a gift that was required reading, along with the 250 Susuki from my sister in law . She was the first woman to cross the Austrialian out back alone,and she did it on that bike! She traveled the Pan American Hiway from Sacremento to Equador several times on her motercycle with guitar and belongings in a tea box [to promotean orfenage of her founding]. She was in Austrila to procure a school bus for her cause,and had to get to the other side,her 250 was her only transportation,little did she know that it had not been atempted before until she was met by t.v. crews etc. in Perth! She was killed by a motorest on the "grapevine" outside L.A. on a return from Equador. That book sould still be on the required list if some younger riders are not familar with it. Knowledge is wisdom passed down so we hopefully don't have to repeat the past mastakes!!! 8) :lol: I have talked myself into buying the damm book even if Idon't win! :) Modern Buddy makes my day,and i'am sure many others,thanks to the shairing of knowlrdge,humor andgeneral good vibes. old and in the gray :wink:
sotied

Post by sotied »

When I read this book, the new saying will be...

Why read is read.

On a serious note, don't give it to me, I already own it. But I haven't posted in a while because I've been riding a lot. It's a rainy Friday in Boston and Scootle sits waiting to go play in the basement.

2700 miles on her since June.

The book is great. It will help ANYONE who wins.

Later,
Jeff • #2163
Scooter Photo Scavenger Hunter (see Gallery!)
http://www.jeffcutler.com
kmetta

Post by kmetta »

I think i could use this book.
In fact, i know i NEED it.
i hate saying i need it for free though...

But..

You could always give it to me.

I'm just a broke college student trying to get by. i spend sooo much on books to start with....670 just this semester.

this sob story is making me sick.. more reason to give it to me though..

Vote Kyle 08
:D
My name is Kyle, and i am a wannabee Highway addict.
enzomatic

Post by enzomatic »

You see, I have this wobbly table that needs support, and then there's the CD that could protect said table from my cold beers.

SRSLY though I would love to read it.
Looking for ppl to ride with in LA.
sobo_buddy

Post by sobo_buddy »

I'd like it, but I'm not going to lie, I wouldn't read it. It would go in my overflowing bookcases of books I should/could/would read, if I only had the time.
Roose Hurro

A Good Home

Post by Roose Hurro »

Because I'll feed him and water him and give him walkies... and because I will also hug him and sqeeze him and call him George!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
addictionriot

Re: A Good Home

Post by addictionriot »

Roose Hurro wrote:Because I'll feed him and water him and give him walkies... and because I will also hug him and sqeeze him and call him George!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
lol :lol:

I would like it because I need something to hit my fiance with when he's being bad.
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

I would like to share this with at least a couple people I care about who have had preventable dumps (note plural) and have not taken the safety course. I will also make it available to local scooter club members.
sunbunny

Post by sunbunny »

I would love a copy for my son (17) and I to read. We are new to scooters, and he would like to get a motorcycle next year. At 18 I think he needs all the help he can get and sometimes he doesn't want to listen to his mother! Could you send him a copy..and it would help me too! Thanks
newslinky

Post by newslinky »

Dont know if this is in time or not but I would love to have a copy. I took the MSF course and feel like it has really helped make me more aware. I am of the mindset that learning is a constant ongoing thing. Many people have recommended this book as a very good source of riding information. I am sure this response will not win me the book as it is not flashy or expressing some hardship. Still I felt that I should not pass up the possibility that maybe I might get a copy and posted to throw my helmet into the ring.
Proud owner of a Buddy St. Tropez 150
R.McLeod

Post by R.McLeod »

It's almost midnight, my fingers are crossed.
Go Team Venture!
BeetleGoose

Post by BeetleGoose »

I wonder how this goeth? Declaration of the winner yet?
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

I'm waiting for Eric & the Mods to finish voting.
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

jrsjr wrote:I'm waiting for Eric & the Mods to finish voting.
And I'm waiting on some bribe money to go through. :shock:
BeetleGoose

Post by BeetleGoose »

jmazza wrote:
jrsjr wrote:I'm waiting for Eric & the Mods to finish voting.
And I'm waiting on some bribe money to go through. :shock:
My modem doesn't take plastic! :wink:
newslinky

Post by newslinky »

Didn't that Paypal payment post yet? :twisted:
Proud owner of a Buddy St. Tropez 150
R.McLeod

Post by R.McLeod »

Fingers still crossed...really starting to hurt now, and it's making it hard to pull the brake levers. Is that not safe? Maybe I need some sort of book that could tell me.
Go Team Venture!
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Sorry—we'll have a winner tomorrow!
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

I want to thank everybody who posted. I'd like to send each of you a copy because every post was good. However, as I originally posted, Eric and the mods have made a decision (two decisions, actually).

And the envelope please! The winner is... R.McLeod! You win the copy of the 2nd Edition of Proficient Motorcycling.

BUT WAIT!!! There's a second envelope. Bunny has our loaner copy of the 1st Edition of Proficient Motorcycling which she is ready to pass on to the next Modern Buddy member. And the envelope please.! The next recipient of our loaner copy of Proficient Motorcycling is LisaLisa!

Congratulations you two! If you will PM me your snailmail addresses, I will see to it that you get the books soon.

Thanks again to everybody who entered. I wish I had a stack of these to give away because I liked every post you made.
Last edited by jrsjr on Thu Oct 02, 2008 1:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

Fido
4/22/2005 - 10/1/2008
R.I.P.
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

charlie55 wrote:Image
Fido
4/22/2005 - 10/1/2008
R.I.P.
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
olhogrider

Post by olhogrider »

Congrats to both and sorry about poor Fido.
R.McLeod

Post by R.McLeod »

Woot! I'm very honored to receive this gift and I hope it will keep me out of the "Who's Crashed?" thread. Thank you to to all the mods, I am truly gracious.
Go Team Venture!