Lowering a Buddy

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

JNV

Lowering a Buddy

Post by JNV »

Has anyone successfully lowered the suspension on a Buddy. If so; how does it handle now? And; is it worth the trouble? I want to try it on my wifes Buddy to make it easier for her to ride. I already had the seat shaved off as much as possible but I think she still needs an extra inch lower. I know it will significantly lower the ground clearance but she does not ride as fast or aggressive as I do so I don't think it will matter that the center stand will be easier to scrape the ground.
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

Aruntoo used a custom shock which was slightly lower than the buddy's standard shock, buying a YSS or NCY which is adjustable might work, but I'm not sure on handling.
rickko

Post by rickko »

I would think that would be hard to do.

If there aren't shorter forks and rear shocks on the after market then you'd have to somehow disassemble your front forks to get to the springs, then cut the springs, trim the shock tubs and reassemble. My guess is, that would not be an easy task.

Don't think you could cut the rear spring so you'd have to use/make lowering clamps. Another very difficult task in my opinion unless you are good at metelwork and welding etc.

Guess you could try to find 8" or 9" wheels and tires but then you'd have to make sure the axle fits.

Alternative to all that, maybe shoes/boots with 1" soles would help.

Good luck!
..rickko..
Last edited by rickko on Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ride it like you enjoy it!
MB member #2568
olhogrider

Post by olhogrider »

Shave the seat. Changing suspension can have deadly results if you don't know what you are doing.