Frogg Toggs rain gear

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

schroeder

Frogg Toggs rain gear

Post by schroeder »

Who owns Frogg Toggs rain wear.? What is your opinion of its ability to keep you dry and for cutting the wind? What model do you own? I want something other than those very hot PVC rain suits that people wear. They make you sweat so much.
Me? I ride for the bugs!
docutech

Post by docutech »

I own a set. Road Toad model. Fits well, breathes well, keeps me dry. Since they are a dark color I wear a bright orange safety vest over them for greater visibility. Best 50 bucks spent.
Rob

Re: Frogg Toggs rain gear

Post by Rob »

schroeder wrote:Who owns Frogg Toggs rain wear.? What is your opinion of its ability to keep you dry and for cutting the wind? What model do you own? I want something other than those very hot PVC rain suits that people wear. They make you sweat so much.
My wife has the Frogg Toggs and uses them on ATV trips. She likes them and they seem to keep her dry and comfortable while being light weight.

Myself, for all of my outdoor activities, I go with with Gore-Tex rain gear. Made in a variety of configurations, etc. IMHO can't be beat for rain and wind protection and breathability comfort.

Rob
Queen

Post by Queen »

I've got a set, they're old so I don't remember the model name. They keep me dry as a bone and not sweaty, they look goofy as hell but I just don't care.
greencountry

Post by greencountry »

I have a set for me and my wife, when they came in the mail I thought it was kind of a crock cuz they look/feel a bit like the soft, white felt liner in some CD sleeves. I haven't tested them in real world yet (luckily?), but I did put them under the sink and try to get the water to soak thru by rubbing the gear with my fingers while covered on one side with water. Wouldn't go through. I do still wonder about the durability a bit, but I tried to tear a piece of the carrying bag (made of same material) and I couldn't.

If this sounds like an unenthusiastic plug, it's cuz I haven't had to use them yet. I think after I do I will be raving about them like most others (and it's that raving that made me choose them over other rain gear).
olhogrider

Post by olhogrider »

I just looked at their website. If you fit small or XXL you should check out the closeouts link.
Drumwoulf

Post by Drumwoulf »

I have two sets, one light gray, one a darker blue. (Got them on a closeout years ago, don't know model name..) I bought two because I keep one set permanently in the bottom of each of my two scooter's pet carriers. They compress real flat in there and don't take up nearly as much room as vinyl suits would... 8)

They look and feel like pressed-paper material, but they're durable and tough and completely protect from the rain. No leaks, and no sweating inside either! And I've also use the jacket to throw on quickly to keep me nice and warm when needed... :lol:

One of the few products you can buy today that are everything they claim to be. A superior rain suit, IMO.... :)
Namaste,
~drummer~

07 Buddy 125
07 Vespa GT200
Jrman

Post by Jrman »

greencountry wrote:when they came in the mail I thought it was kind of a crock cuz they look/feel a bit like the soft, white felt liner in some CD sleeves.
That is an excellent description.. lol

I thought they felt like pressed paper. However, what I have is the knock-off brand from Sam's Club and i have been extremely happy with them. I have used them in a huge downpour with high winds and they have turned out to be very durible. They also dry really fast even when soaking wet on the outside. This seems to be because the water runs off and does not soak into the material. Then you ride with them you can actually feel the cold rain drops hitting the material through your legs and it almost seemed like I was getting wet. When I arrived home and removed them there was not a drop of water on my pants. They work as advertised but there are not very breathable even though they say they are. If it stops raining and the sun comes out you will bake.

I have used the top under my mesh armor coat and they were very comfortable. The best thing is they roll up very small and can nicely fit in the pet carrier so you can always have them with you.

Note: I also gave them a couple of coats of Scotch Guard. Not sure if it was needed but felt it could not hurt.
Great Scooter Safety Site: http://www.highviz.org/
lobsterman

Post by lobsterman »

I have a set of Frogg Toggs that I have commented about on this forum before. One of the best investments I have made in 2 years of scootering.

They roll up and fit under the seat where you can always get them, they do a good job of keeping you dry and do help with the wind too I think.
Kevin
AYPWIP?
Drumwoulf

Post by Drumwoulf »

Jrman wrote:
greencountry wrote:when they came in the mail I thought it was kind of a crock cuz they look/feel a bit like the soft, white felt liner in some CD sleeves.
That is an excellent description.. lol

I thought they felt like pressed paper. However, what I have is the knock-off brand from Sam's Club and i have been extremely happy with them. I have used them in a huge downpour with high winds and they have turned out to be very durible. They also dry really fast even when soaking wet on the outside. This seems to be because the water runs off and does not soak into the material. Then you ride with them you can actually feel the cold rain drops hitting the material through your legs and it almost seemed like I was getting wet. When I arrived home and removed them there was not a drop of water on my pants. They work as advertised but there are not very breathable even though they say they are. If it stops raining and the sun comes out you will bake.

I have used the top under my mesh armor coat and they were very comfortable. The best thing is they roll up very small and can nicely fit in the pet carrier so you can always have them with you.

Note: I also gave them a couple of coats of Scotch Guard. Not sure if it was needed but felt it could not hurt.

Hmmmm... Maybe it's because you got the knock-off brand, or maybe because of the Scotch Guard(??), but my Frogg Tog's are very breathable and do not make me sweat inside at all.. And they only feel warm on a hot day just the way any other jacket and pants might, IMO.

One of the reasons I like them is because of the material. Vinyl suits are too bulky to pack tight and they make you sweat. Nylon or cloth suits are too soft and clinging, which makes them harder to get on and off over your outer clothes. It's hard to explain the material used in the Froggs, as it feels very soft to the touch but yet when you need to wear them they're still stiff enough to get on and off easily...

Y'know if you're not sure about the Toggs you can always get just the baseball cap and try it out. It's made of the same material and I think it only costs about $15, so even if you decide not to get the suit later you'll still have a good everyday rain hat to wear....
Namaste,
~drummer~

07 Buddy 125
07 Vespa GT200
Jrman

Post by Jrman »

Drumwoulf wrote:Hmmmm... Maybe it's because you got the knock-off brand, or maybe because of the Scotch Guard(??), but my Frogg Tog's are very breathable and do not make me sweat inside at all.. And they only feel warm on a hot day just the way any other jacket and pants might, IMO.
Knock-offs are rarely as good as the original. It also could have been the Scotch Guard... who knows. The set (coat and pants) only cost my $25. For wet days they are great. I just need to stop and remove them if I ride too long in the sun.. :)
Great Scooter Safety Site: http://www.highviz.org/
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

I would buy Frogg Toggs if they had a one-piece jump suit in hi-viz. Unfortunately all their colors are muted and dark. Not great for being visible on a rainy day while riding a scooter. Yes they have one suit that's yellow, but it's not one-piece and lacks the elastic the others have. It would flap in the wind something fierce.
armacham

Post by armacham »

I have a knock off brand from sportsmans gudie for like 12 bucks, but I haven't had a chance to test them out, what with living in tucson. Maybe sometime this winter I'll get a chance to try them out...
Jessica

Post by Jessica »

I just placed an order after looking at the closeout secion. I scored a small orange suit and a reflective vest (SUPER cheap BTW) for less than 30 bucks (including shipping). WOW! I'll let you all know how they work out.
Modern Buddy Member #2753
<a href="http://www.raleighscooter.org/index.html">Raleigh Scooter Organization</a> #45
Official S.P.A.Z. Member
olhogrider

Post by olhogrider »

Or for $800.00 you could get one of these!
Attachments
Aero suit.JPG
Aero suit.JPG (11.43 KiB) Viewed 1895 times
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

I just ordered and received my Frogg Toggs that I got from the closeout section (a recent loss of weight lets me actually fit into the small size- check their sizing chart as they do run a little bigger than normal clothes in order to fit over your clothing).

They seem to be really great - I got the simple All Sport suit for like $25 shipped. Just waiting for it to rain now... 8)
greencountry

Post by greencountry »

jmazza wrote:I just ordered and received my Frogg Toggs that I got from the closeout section (a recent loss of weight lets me actually fit into the small size- check their sizing chart as they do run a little bigger than normal clothes in order to fit over your clothing).

They seem to be really great - I got the simple All Sport suit for like $25 shipped. Just waiting for it to rain now... 8)
Ehh, no need to wait, just hop in the shower with them on. 8)
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

I got to ride in my new Frogg Toggs suit the other day. Imagine the most torrential downpour you've ever experienced, and then add a bit for good measure. I was excited to try it out to say the least.

First, I've got to say that in some sick way, there is something really great about riding in that kind of weather. It's scary and fun all at the same time.

The suit did really really well. The rain was pelting me and I thought for sure I'd be soaked under it. But I wasn't. When I took the pants off, my jeans were totally dry. The only problem I had was from water dripping down my neck into the suit and making the front of my shirt wet. I had the hood on under my helmet, so my back was dry, but I didn't have it cinched up tightly. There is a flap over the zipper of the jacket, but I felt like maybe there should be some kind of flap (I don't know how this would work) over the neck area to prevent the water running inside the jacket.

Maybe having the hood tighter will do the trick. Maybe there are just some downpours that can't be overcome. I can imagine that rain is going to seep in that way no matter what. I'm pretty pleased with the results. I've ridden in this type of rain once before with a lesser rain plan and got soaked all over. To only have to change my shirt, and then only because it was somewhat wet, was not too bad.

I'll give them a pretty solid A or A- for now...
betsy q. bramble

Post by betsy q. bramble »

which style did you get?
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

betsy q. bramble wrote:which style did you get?
Fabulous question, betsy q. bramble. I got the All Sport Regular Suit, model AS100. I'm thinking pretty bottom of the line. If the marketing guys chose the word "regular," you know it's nothing special.
Elm Creek Smith

Post by Elm Creek Smith »

I have a set of Road Toads by Frogg Toggs. They're black, but they have white reflective piping which makes you look like a stick figure in someone's headlights.

I've used them for over 18 months in up to thunderstorm rain and hail. They're great! The pants have begun to fuzz a bit around the waist, and the leg zippers leak a little bit at the top where the sewer missed the sealer tape. They stop the wind, and I wear them over my mesh jacket and jeans when it's cool.

ECS
Yes, that is my scooter.
Yes, I wear a helmet and a FIRSTGEAR armored jacket.
No, I'm not embarrassed to be seen riding it.
Yes, that is an NRA sticker on the fender.

"I aim to misbehave."
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

For the price, you can't go wrong with Frogg Toggs. They pack up small, go on easy, and they keep all the water out. I'm really tempted to start wearing the pants only to help knock out the wind-chill in the mornings while I perfect my lap blanket. During the summer, the FT's got me home dry as a bone (except for my mesh covered fingers and occasionally sneaker covered feet).

I highly recommend them.
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.