Buddy 125 vs. SYM Fiddle II vs. Vino 125

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Which one would you buy?

Buddy 125
75%
Fiddle II 125
18%
Vino 125
7%

Total votes: 61

Neducati

Buddy 125 vs. SYM Fiddle II vs. Vino 125

Post by Neducati »

Now that I have my Stella, my girlfriend wants a scooter too. She's interested in a CVT model, with comparable power to the Stella, in a more modern package, with a retro Vespa-like look but priced much lower than a Vespa. Since we both have motorcycles, we're not looking at maxi-scooters or any of the 16" wheeled scooters.

We've narrowed the search to the Genuine Buddy 125, the SYM Fiddle II 125 and the Yamaha Vino 125, all around $2800 or less. They are very similar looking scooters on paper, with similar specs and each one has the look we like. From what I've read online, they also have comparable build quality, reliability, etc. The Buddy is quicker off the line than the Vino, but the Vino has a larger seat. All seem to have decent under-seat storage. I really don't know much about the Fiddle since it's so new, and has not been reviewed all that much. I think these are all made in Taiwan.

We're visiting a couple scooter dealers tomorrow that have the Fiddle and the Buddy in stock, so it will be great to actually see them. We looked at the Vino last weekend and really liked it, but want to look at the competition before buying anything.

Has anyone ridden two or all of these scooters and have an impression about their differences?

GENUINE BUDDY 125

SYM FIDDLE 125

YAMAHA VINO 125
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

Sorry I have not ridden all 3, but I like to pour over scooter info. Among the 3, I think the Fiddle looks the best. There I understand it is not as fast as the Buddy though. If this is the case, I could not live with that. You may want to chat with the dealer about this to get their opinion. Sym's are supposed to dependable as the vino and Buddy

I think the legendary vino v. buddy smackdown found the Buddy the winner (google or search this forum).

I think they are all great, maybe the quality of dealer will break the tie
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

I really need to test ride the Fiddle. Hopefully, they'll start showing up in CA this week.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

I should have added, I think the white Fiddle is the nicest. I am not so sure about that green one
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

I own and ride both a 125 Buddy and a 125 Vino. They are similar scoots and I wouldn't feel bad about ending up with either one. IMO the Vino has a bit more of a retro look than the Buddy and the build quality is a bit better. The Buddy certainly has a bit better acceleration and top end than the Vino. It is usually easier to find a Yamaha dealer than a Buddy dealer. Both are very reliable scoots. The Buddy parts (when you can get them) tend to be cheaper than the OEM Vino parts. Supply on the Vino parts is better. If you are buying new, I'd get the Buddy. If you are buying used, you can usually get the Vino at a better price. A used Vino at several hundred less than a used Buddy is a good solid scoot and an excellent first bike for a new rider.

Read this interesting comparison from "Just Gotta Scoot" -

http://www.justgottascoot.com/buddy.htm
esk

Post by esk »

i took the MSF course on a vino, but bought a buddy. i agree with dooglas's comparison. the only thing i would add is that the vino's larger seat might or might not be an advantage - i'm a small person with short legs, and i actually found the smaller buddy seat to be more comfortable.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

esk wrote:i took the MSF course on a vino, but bought a buddy. i agree with dooglas's comparison. the only thing i would add is that the vino's larger seat might or might not be an advantage - i'm a small person with short legs, and i actually found the smaller buddy seat to be more comfortable.
Does the Vino have a lower seat height? Always seems like it every time I see one.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
sunbunny

Post by sunbunny »

The Buddy and Sym I believe carry a 2 yr warrenty vs 1 yr on Vino.
The other thing is check OTD prices. I found Yamaha had more add on costs at the local dealer here.
Let us know what you think after you ride them. I was also considering the Piaggio Fly 150 $2899 msrp.
esk

Post by esk »

ericalm wrote:Does the Vino have a lower seat height? Always seems like it every time I see one.
i think it is slightly lower - the one i rode in my class felt lower than my buddy - but it might have been partially because it's been sat on a lot more :)
Becktastic

Post by Becktastic »

I have only ridden the Buddy, but next time I am hanging out at the scooter shop, I will ask to ride one of their Fiddles around. I do like the look of the Fiddle, so metallic and classy :D but the guys at the shop say they're sluggish. :( I really like how quick and nimble the Buddy is, I wouldn't be willing to trade that for the looks of the Fiddle or Vino.
Lift heavy eat clean!
Becktastic

Post by Becktastic »

Actually, I would cast my vote for the Buddy 150. I want to go faster!
Lift heavy eat clean!
BuddyLicious

Post by BuddyLicious »

As a rule of thumb as long as you stay away from the chinese junk,any name brand scooter is a good choice.(Is the yamaha 125 Zuma in the states yet?) I ask cause on paper it appears like a kick butt scoot.Between the 3 scoots you mentioned,it now comes down to personel choice.If you can ride each one,that would be great.If not at least sit on them,look them over in person etc.Somebody on this board mentioned the Sym fiddle was slower than the Buddy.Looking at the specs of the Fiddle,it looks like it has a lower compression ratio and lower hp.I would imagine if so,the Fiddle will in fact be slower and have a little less grunt,going up inclines or riding 2 up.
Aerosmith, None Other.
Becktastic

Post by Becktastic »

BuddyLicious wrote:Is the yamaha 125 Zuma in the states yet?.
This person chose three scoots with retro styling, so I'm assuming they want something with a more classic look. The Zuma is so ugly it makes me angry o_O
Lift heavy eat clean!
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Becktastic wrote:
This person chose three scoots with retro styling, so I'm assuming they want something with a more classic look. The Zuma is so ugly it makes me angry o_O
You'd be surprised at how many people really like the looks of the Zuma. I'm not among them, but like that there are options for those with different tastes.

Personally, I prefer a "classic" scooter design to a "retro" one. This is why I've never liked the looks of the Vino—to me, it's trying too hard, like some of the mainland Chinese scoots. (The Aprilia Mojito is a better execution of this look, IMHO, but still looks like a scooter/Harley hybrid.) The Fiddle II has the right idea, taking cues from the classic aesthetic: clean lines, smooth curves, a clean, modern look. The Buddy, to me, is squarely between more "modern" scooters and those with a "classic" look.
7eregrine

Post by 7eregrine »

I thnk the Vino is slightly better looking then a Buddy. Just a tiny bit. But the 2 year warranty and the OEM factory accessories cinched a Buddy for me. The Vino has one Yamaha OEM accessory.
I will not join a racist club that thinks one color is better then another. We are ALL BUDDY'S!
BuddyLicious

Post by BuddyLicious »

Becktastic wrote:
I agree the Zuma with those big bug lights are butt ugly.However having said that,if we had the Zuma's like these,well then I might be interested.
Aerosmith, None Other.
Becktastic

Post by Becktastic »

BuddyLicious wrote: I agree the Zuma with those big bug lights are butt ugly.However having said that,if we had the Zuma's like these,well then I might be interested.
I like the body style and the two big lights up the front, but I hate how the headset is pointy and beak-like. I guess if you put a windshield on it, it might distract from it and look a little sleeker.
Lift heavy eat clean!
armacham

Post by armacham »

The fiddle is slow as hell compared to the buddy. I would imagine it would be more comfortable ergonomically for a bigger person though. It is a nice looking bike though. I still haven't had the chance to ride a vino.
armacham

Post by armacham »

One thing about the fiddle that you don't see in most pictures of it is that they had the same front turn signals as the buddy now. The lights on the leg shield are deadlights.
Dave

Post by Dave »

FWIW, the Fiddle and the Vino are made in PRC.
Laura

Buddy vs Vino - my experience

Post by Laura »

Dave wrote:FWIW, the Fiddle and the Vino are made in PRC.
I have a 2006 Buddy 125 and a 2008 150 Buddy ,St. Tropez.
I took a test spin on a Vino when I was shopping for my 1st scoot.
Was really disappointed with the sluggish hill climbing in SF , speed and acceleration. My 125 Bud is way faster than the Vino. I have approximately 8-9000 freeway miles on my scoots , and another 5000 street miles and have ridden all over California ( and Vegas) .

I love my Buddy's, they are super fast off the line, reliable and great in the twisties.

Lots of used Vino's for sale...rarely see Buddy's being sold.

I'm 5'7, and it fits me fine. The Vino's are popular with people closer to 5 feet tall. The smaller you are , the less power you need to propel yourself and your scoot.

With a 2 year warranty/ one year roadside, how can you go wrong?

genuinescootergirl
a genuine fan
olhogrider

Post by olhogrider »

So I guess that means the 125 is still running?
esk

Post by esk »

ericalm wrote:Personally, I prefer a "classic" scooter design to a "retro" one. This is why I've never liked the looks of the Vino—to me, it's trying too hard, like some of the mainland Chinese scoots.
could you post a couple more examples (maybe vintage ones) of what you think of as "classic" vs. "retro"?

i confess that when i was first deciding on a scooter i preferred the look of the vino. i ended up going with the buddy for other reasons. but now that i've gotten used to the buddy's lines, i do think that the vino kinda looks like it's trying too hard!
DennisD

Post by DennisD »

I own both the Buddy and Vino. The seat on the Vino is wider than the Buddy. The Buddy is narrower, softer, more comfortable. My wife tiptoes on the Vino, but can get the balls of her feet on the ground with the Buddy.

Either is a good buy. I don't regret buying either. My Vino was built in Taiwan, probably next door to PGO if not in the same factory. Parts are available online for the Vino. I've purchased body panels from Bike Bandit rather than wait for the dealer to order them. That could be an advantage over the Buddy but I don't know that from my personal experience.
BigColdMartini

Post by BigColdMartini »

I gave the Fiddle a test drive about a month ago and was very impressed. The ride was MUCH smoother than a Buddy but it didn't have the same acceleration. It feels a lot wider than the Buddy and even though the seat height is about the same it seemed like I had a longer distance to go before my feet touched the ground. I really loved the candy apple red metallic paint job and tan seat which made it look more expensive and better made than the Buddy.

The Buddy feels more like a classic sports car while the Fiddle was more like a newer model with a softer suspension and more comfort.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

ericalm wrote: Does the Vino have a lower seat height? Always seems like it every time I see one.
Yes, the seat height of the Vino is definitely a little lower than the Buddy. The Vino seat is less comfortable on a longer ride than the Buddy seat though. I swapped out the OEM seat on my Vino for a "stepped" replacement seat available from Motorsport.
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

it is hard to image being less comfortable on a long ride...
I guess my butt thinks the grass is always greener
WildVitality

Post by WildVitality »

I rode a Vino for my MSF course, and picked my pre-ordered Buddy up from the dealer about a week later. The dealer said the Vino was the slowest 125 on the market, and the Buddy was the fastest. I don't know if that's absolutely true or not, but I noticed a significant difference in power from a stop with the Buddy. Much more oomph! I love my Buddy, and would do it all again!
scoot121

Post by scoot121 »

I have a vino 125, and I think it is fast. If you need more power then the vino, a motorcycle is the next step. I also think the vino has a great look! I think you can't go wrong with any of them from everything i've read.

I've posted this before:

http://www.latimes.com/classified/autom ... 9204.story
Drumwoulf

Post by Drumwoulf »

One thing I like about the Vino is that it has a nice flat seat, w/o that annoying hump in the middle...

The Zuma has very stange floorboards. When you sit on the seat your feet point downwards on the floor instead of being level. Just a few minutes on the Zuma and my ankles started to feel uncomfortable! :P
Namaste,
~drummer~

07 Buddy 125
07 Vespa GT200
Susan Pegsmen
Banned

Rode the Zuma 125

Post by Susan Pegsmen »

All I can say is WOW!! It is easily the fastest stock 125 I have seen, and solid as a rock! Tons of aftermarket parts available for it, and legendary Yamaha quality. Just very impressive yo may want to ride one before going with a lesser brand
betsy q. bramble

Post by betsy q. bramble »

Vino definitely looks like it is trying too hard to me. The Buddy is a more original nod to the classic stylings IMO.

A really big thing for me was having a scooter that came from a SCOOTER company. Not a scooter/motorcycle/jet ski/everything else etc etc etc company. That is definitely what lead me to Genuine.

I know next to nothing about Sym, though. But I do think it's nice looking. The Vino looks sort of like a cartoon version of a retro scooter. Meh.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

esk wrote:
ericalm wrote:Personally, I prefer a "classic" scooter design to a "retro" one. This is why I've never liked the looks of the Vino—to me, it's trying too hard, like some of the mainland Chinese scoots.
could you post a couple more examples (maybe vintage ones) of what you think of as "classic" vs. "retro"?
Oops, missed this reply. I'll find some images and post something on this later. It's totally subjective, of course, but hopefully it will illustrate my meaning.
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

I finally saw a Fiddle "in person", and did not think it looked as good as the pictures. The style is nice, but something did not speak to me. The Buddy is nice b/c it looks much better live than in print.
MAJensen

Post by MAJensen »

justgottascoot.com has reviews of all 3, I think. You may want to take a look at it.
scooterdyke

Post by scooterdyke »

I had the chance to test-ride the Fiddle II on Saturday (Thanks, Phil!!). Here are my observations:

-I think it's more attractive than the Buddy
-The seat is longer and holds two riders much more comfortably
-I liked the dash features and the quick seat-release latch
-The seat height is a bit taller, and I liked the feel of that height
-It is a quiet ride, definitely slower out of the gate, but catches up quickly
-Not as nimble or maneuverable as the Buddy, but a nice ride overall
-More room in the under-seat compartment

My recommendations to anyone who is looking at either the Buddy or Fiddle II (I've never ridden the Vino, but I like it's looks), is that you should test ride both. For the taller rider (I'm 5' 2") the Fiddle will be a better fit for comfort. I'm happy with my Buddy, I would see no need to trade a Buddy for the Fiddle. Now, that HD 200 is another story . . . . . :)
CiaoItalia

Post by CiaoItalia »

I've ridden the Vino in the past (my mother-in-law's scoot) and can say personaly I thought it "felt" wider and not as nimble as the Buddy. The Bud is also quicker off the line and one of the quickest stock 125s out there. Another consideration is the location of the Vino's fuel cap. It may be diffrent on the new models but the old one was on the back of the bike, whick put in under the Givi topcase on the Vino I rode. I had to take the case off to put gas in. A minor inconvience but worth considering. The Buddy's is under the seat, and for my money, much more convienent. It's been said already by previous posters but I like the number of aftermarket add-ons for the Buddy, not as many that I've seen for the Vino. On a personal level, and all things being equal, I felt better giving my money to a smaller scooter company and supporting them than to a huge multi-national monster that caters to motorcycle and jetski riders first and foremost. Just my observations/opinions....
genuinedealer2009

Post by genuinedealer2009 »

the Vino 125 is a slug. Smooth riding and low to the ground but not what I would call sporty. Most of what sells the Buddy 125 here is the reputation as quicker. Both Sym and TGB are actively recruiting new dealers right now, with Sym having a bit better reputation in the community for quality and parts availability. Consumer demand is strongest for the 250 and up segment now that fall is here
Neducati

Post by Neducati »

As I've posted in other threads, I bought a 2005 tangerine Stella a couple weeks go. I just picked up this pink Buddy 125 up for my girlfriend yesterday in Corning, NY.

Here she is on her first ride. This first photo is a picture of pure joy, isn't it?

chloefpuff

Post by chloefpuff »

You tell your girlfriend she's rockin' her new ride! I'm jealous, you've got a friend to ride with.
irishtim

Post by irishtim »

That's all I need to know. Our friends in Taiwan get my support over the Commies anyday. (Besides, the two Buddies we've owned have been so good there's no need to look elsewhere.)
OH,PA,IN,WV,KY,TN,WI,MI,SC,ON,BDA
GDP

Ride Safe

Post by GDP »

Pure joy, yes, but that pic is nothing to be happy about:
Get a helmet on her...
DennisD

Post by DennisD »

esk wrote:
ericalm wrote:Does the Vino have a lower seat height? Always seems like it every time I see one.
i think it is slightly lower - the one i rode in my class felt lower than my buddy - but it might have been partially because it's been sat on a lot more :)
The Buddy seat is slightly narrower. Also softer. Noticed it right away the first time I sat on the Buddy. The Vino has a wider floor and leg shield and wider handlebars. Much better headlight. I have both and agree with Dooglas completely.
GaryEPSP

Post by GaryEPSP »

irishtim wrote:
That's all I need to know. Our friends in Taiwan get my support over the Commies anyday. (Besides, the two Buddies we've owned have been so good there's no need to look elsewhere.)
Another FWIW, SYM (Sanyang) is a Taiwanese company that manufactures in Taiwan, China, and Vietnam. Sanyang was producing scooters for Honda as early as 1962. Parts and quality are first rate.
Susan Pegsmen
Banned

Post by Susan Pegsmen »

Neducati wrote:As I've posted in other threads, I bought a 2005 tangerine Stella a couple weeks go. I just picked up this pink Buddy 125 up for my girlfriend yesterday in Corning, NY.

Here she is on her first ride. This first photo is a picture of pure joy, isn't it?

She needs a helmet on!!!!
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

Cant see the facial expression with a helmet on! :roll: