Future scavenger hunts

Scooter and Rally Pictures and Videos

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Griffphoto

Future scavenger hunts

Post by Griffphoto »

I can look at my photo and say "OK, 10 building are not clearly seen, so throw that out. I have 13 points but could not overcome an Oklahoma bias (Hook em baby, hook em good). Sorry, I think I should have won. But I'm over it and I have some comments on future scavenger hunts.....

In the interest of fairness, whenever a scavenger hunt gets posted, set the rules once and leave them alone. It's not fair to change them every time somebody has a gripe and/or suggestion. If you are constantly changing and adding stuff, it makes it hard to get the shot done. Oh, here is another new rule so now I have to find ANOTHER location and re-shoot.
This one had to do with skyscapers and cities, those who lived in small towns were at a disadvantage. Where I live in Alabama, a beach theme would be something a little difficult for me to pull off because I live 4 hours from the coast. The only way to show my buddy at the beach would be with some Photoshop work, and that wouldn't be fair. Everybody can't play every time, so wait for the next one.
Then the gas price thing gets added on later and what does THAT have to do with skyscapers and cities??????? That could have and should have been a seperate hunt. If the gas sign was in your skyscraper photo, that's one thing.

And shouldn't this be a one photo scavenger hunt instead of a photo gallery?

My 2 cents worth with a little extra change thrown in.
I'm just here for the food.

BSS #120
MB #3269
maribell

Post by maribell »

We did hook them yesterday. How good it feels.
OKBubbles

Post by OKBubbles »

Griffphoto -- your photo was indeed a masterpiece, and had (I believe) the highest point total for the week. However, the scavenger hunt was first conceived as a series of photos, with points earned every week and totalled at the end of the series. As for the "beach" picture, there was provision made for swimming pools, and add-on points for props (water toys, Hawaiian shirts, swimsuits, etc.), so you didn't have to live near the ocean to earn points.

We had a summer-long hunt, and the most recent one -- guided by sailortot -- spanned a four photo run. I'm prepared to run the next four weeks, so you have the opportunity to participate for the entire series.

Get out there and take those photos, and you may earn the honor of thinking up the next four pics, keeping track of points, responding to folks who have questions or ask for special favors, etc.

I promise I've got something for everybody over the next four weeks! :D

**Special note to Maribell . . . you've automatically been docked five points for trash talk! :wink: (Wait until next year!)
sailortot

Post by sailortot »

dont participate then.

the gas thing was just an added bonus. you make up the rules yourself when youre the huntmaster and quit griping at everyone else who makes them now.

also, you do understand that okbubbles won for her SERIES of photos during this version of the scavenger hunt, right?

check out the facts next time.
Griffphoto

future hunts

Post by Griffphoto »

I'm sure you will all have fun with them in the future.

PG

BSS #120
MB #3269
Becktastic

Re: Future scavenger hunts

Post by Becktastic »

Griffphoto wrote:Sorry, I think I should have won.
The winner is whoever has the most points added up for all four weeks. You were not even close to winning in that respect.

As these hunts progress, there will be ones which favor the cities or coasts or rural areas etc, but you can still crunch out some good points if you work it just right.

The good thing about not winning is you still get to play!
Lift heavy eat clean!
Becktastic

Post by Becktastic »

OKBubbles put up a very fair first hunt. I don't care how small your town is, you have to have a fast food place ;) so get playing, win fair and square and you can make your own rules for the next hunt set.
Lift heavy eat clean!
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

well as the guy who (more or less) started this "can of worms in photos".....
let me say that sailortot did a great job & I am sure OKBubbles will do a fine job as well.
coming up with all the rules and foreseeing every way the players will interpret them is very hard to do.

I am VERY happy to see this keep going & am glad to see we picked up some new players!

.... now off to one of the many drive thrus in my town.... I get to choose from a McDonalds, Burger King or a closed down Wendy's
Racenut

Post by Racenut »

If you can get a Zombie to serve you at the shut down Wendy's, you should get huge bonus points :D
taile84

Post by taile84 »

Hello All :o)

I have not yet participated in the scavenger hunt but it has been A LOT of fun looking at everyone's photos and seeing everyone enjoying themselves. I think ScootLemont and sailortot have done a great job. You both have had great ideas. Some are so clever I never would have thought of it.

But since I feel compelled to be fair, I do agree with Griffphoto that as a reader I was quite confused when the rules kept changing.

Looking forward to these fast food pictures OKBubbles :) What a great idea! Everyone has a fast food place around them, this way more people can participate. :D

Vroom Vroom, here I come! riding it like I stole it.
Griffphoto

A few things left out.

Post by Griffphoto »

Posting a few things when you announce the scavenger hunt can eliminate the confusion. These should be posted EVERY week along with the rules and scoring table.

1. The spread sheet that has not been posted in a while.
2. That the scoring is added up week-by-week.
3. Decide if it is multiple photos or one photo. This is REAL important to know.

I spent a lot of time scouting parking decks, making sure I could get enough buildings in the shot and getting in position to catch the light when it's just right. A lot of my time and effort was wasted to find out the important stuff after-the-fact, when it's too late.

Like I said earlier, I hope you all have a lot of fun with this in the future. But for me, the fun of it is gone.

BSS #120
MB #3269
Becktastic

Re: A few things left out.

Post by Becktastic »

Griffphoto wrote:Like I said earlier, I hope you all have a lot of fun with this in the future. But for me, the fun of it is gone.
Um seriously? o_O The point of it is to have fun, it's not really about winning...but it's probably better you don't play if you can't keep from being too competitive and taking it personally when you don't have the most points. No one likes a whiner.
Lift heavy eat clean!
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Any changes to the points of a hunt have usually been in the interest of making them fairer. Members will often make valid observations about the points, etc. that may lead the Huntmaster to make an adjustment. It's at their discretion. Huntmasters rotate out every 4 weeks now.

Additionally, the Huntmasters who take this on are doing this just for fun, putting in time so we can all enjoy the game. Everyone who participates should have some appreciation for that. I sure as hell do, even when I haven't participated.

For most, the point of this is taking the pictures, sharing them, and seeing what others do. The challenges and points are more about seeing what kinds of creative things people will come up with. The competition aspect is intended to be a friendly competition.

Anyone who doesn't like the way a Huntmaster runs a hunt need only wait a few weeks. Anyone who's main motivation for participating is to win should probably move on to online poker or Scrabulous or some other pastime.

Suggestions are appreciated, but they should be made in the interest of improving the hunts and with the knowledge that each Huntmaster will run theirs however they best see fit.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
sailortot

Post by sailortot »

i would like to apologize for not being to update the points every week like i planned to. that was something scootlemont did that i wanted to continue, but that takes up a LOT of time. in addition to that, everyone expects the huntmaster to post the hunt for the week right on schedule and keep a close, daily watch on the entries and points. its just not possible unless you have hours a day to devote to the game, which i dont recommend anyone spend.

this game sometimes becomes too much about the points and who's winning and not about the fun we are all having. so in that respect, i appreciated the slightly-less competition that my series of hunts had.

and in my opinion, one of the things the huntmaster has the right to do is to add fun points on to the challenge to see how crazy people get (yes, i got crazy with them, too). the most basic part of the challenge is usually something EVERYONE can participate in, but theres not anything you can do as huntmaster to please everyone. unfortunately, someone is almost always unhappy.

play fun, play fair, and enjoy the game.
sailortot

Re: A few things left out.

Post by sailortot »

Griffphoto wrote: I spent a lot of time scouting parking decks, making sure I could get enough buildings in the shot and getting in position to catch the light when it's just right. A lot of my time and effort was wasted to find out the important stuff after-the-fact, when it's too late.
griffphoto, i am confused on what you are referring to about the changes. the gas station photo idea, though you may have not seen it until later, was included in my original post, and the only thing to be added was added on the same day as my original post (the top-of-a-building idea). so i dont know what changes you are talking about here.

furthermore, i received a lot of comments from people regarding that idea being impossible for someone in a small town. i specifically had ideas out there for people in that situation....1. take a picture on main street, 2. have something with your citys name on it, 3. be in the picture. those were easy things anyone in a small town could have done. i also added the option of taking an EASY photo with a gas station sign. that was for bonus points. hardly anyone posted that picture, but it was an easy option for a chance at more points. i tried to be fair.
betsy q. bramble

Post by betsy q. bramble »

did someone call?
Attachments
wahmbulance-736464.jpg
wahmbulance-736464.jpg (47.93 KiB) Viewed 2035 times
Racenut

Post by Racenut »

Many of us have been participating for a while now. We know how it works, we know the basic rules.

Sounds like Griff just misunderstood that it was an ongoing thing. Understandable for someone new. OKBubbles explained this in a polite and reasonable way.

Telling him not to participate or calling him a whiner isn't what I'd call a friendly response. It was a misunderstanding, no need to get snarky and defensive. There's little chance we'll get him to play again and it seems he would have been contributing some great pics.
BeetleGoose

Post by BeetleGoose »

Racenut wrote:Sounds like Griff just misunderstood that it was an ongoing thing. Understandable for someone new. OKBubbles explained this in a polite and reasonable way.

Telling him not to participate or calling him a whiner isn't what I'd call a friendly response. It was a misunderstanding, no need to get snarky and defensive. There's little chance we'll get him to play again and it seems he would have been contributing some great pics.
I agree 100%.
I wanted a scooter; ended up buying a motorcycle instead.
Becktastic

Post by Becktastic »

I started out polite but he kept being a crybaby.

Attitudes like that would ruin the game for everyone.

I started out being encouraging, but seriously, he even went back and deleted his great photo from the previous hunt. Can you say tantrum? God forbid he didn't win the next one and I have to listen to him wimper again. :roll: I never cease to be amazed how childish adults can be.

I'm not going to mourn the loss of someone who tried so hard to drag the mood down.

I vote this whole thread gets deleted and we move on to the fun people taking fun photos.
Lift heavy eat clean!
BeetleGoose

Post by BeetleGoose »

Becktastic wrote:I started out polite but he kept being a crybaby... :roll: I never cease to be amazed how childish adults can be.
And what do think about name calling? Seriously?

By the by, I have nothing against anyone on this board. I have differing opinions on certain subjects and I usually try to keep mum on them. I still like all of you guys even though I've never met anyone of you in person.

I no longer wish to extend this discussion past my last sentence, but I believe that Racenut summed it up best.
I wanted a scooter; ended up buying a motorcycle instead.
Becktastic

Post by Becktastic »

BeetleGoose wrote:And what do think about name calling? Seriously?
I think it was an appropriate definition of his behavior.
Lift heavy eat clean!
armacham

Post by armacham »

Dude, cry me a river, build me a bridge and get over it.
Attachments
internet-serious-business.jpg
internet-serious-business.jpg (44.43 KiB) Viewed 1967 times
taile84

Post by taile84 »

armacham wrote:Dude, cry me a river, build me a bridge and get over it.
Dude! Never heard of this quote... it's great!! :D

Vroom Vroom, here I come! riding it like I stole it.