My trip to scooterworks + Genuine's "new" bike

Scooter and Rally Pictures and Videos

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

jfrost2

My trip to scooterworks + Genuine's "new" bike

Post by jfrost2 »

Chicago was nice, the roads were bumpy, people drove fast, we were nickle and dimed to death by toll roads, lots of spanish speaking people, lots of fast food, lots of tall buildings, lots of stuff.

Day 1:

Waited at home to leave.

Left for Chicago. Dad drove 5-6 hours? Maybe less?

Stayed at a hotel, Comfort suite, fancy stuff.

LOOK AT THIS TOWEL ON MY BED!

The "living room" of the hotel

Got my waffles like I wanted

Day 2:

Went to hausermann's orchids, looked at orchids, my dad bought 6 or 7 plants. Stayed there for 1.5 hours, I was bored, but I did find it amazing that they had a zillion plants.

Went to scooterworks next, 30 minute drive from the green house.

Wanted to see vintage vespas, I asked to see them, the sales guy lead us back to a giant warehouse, snooped around, and found 2 new buddies which have been rumored, got them on photo. I'm not telling anyone what they are, but I know 100% they confirm the rumors, but one of them I found interesting, I never thought genuine would import this certain bike I found.

Wasnt supposed to see them, sales man freaked out and told me not to look at those bikes since they were "service bikes"...service bikes? Impossible, they were brand new models coming out soon.

Look for the BRIGHT GREEN buddy, and the pure flat black buddy. I wont say the names, or the specifications of these bikes, but they confirm the rumors I've been hunting for months.

EDITED TO SEE MORE DETAIL:

I wish my orange buddy was bright green now.

EDIT: Oh yea, salesman told me he rides a italia 150, has a new variator, 11g prima rollers, prima pipe, 95 jet if I remember, he said with just these 3-4 mods, he can hit 80mph.
BuddyLicious

Post by BuddyLicious »

Hey Jfrost,did you blur the last pic on purpose? All the other pics are clear but the last. :shock: Dangit!
Aerosmith, None Other.
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

No, the pictures were taken far away, and I scaled them down before hosting them to photobucket. On the last image with the secret new bikes, it was a section cut out from the original full sized photo, photo's are usually blurry at full size until scaled down.

I can leak some more hints at what the two new bikes are.

1. the green bike exist already, but not on PGO's website.

2. the black bike is a bike someone painted themselves which then philip mcaleb liked and wanted them to be produced when he first saw it. It also has red rims, maxxis white walls, and a prima pipe.

That green is just too cool looking, the badge and name of the bike is even cooler. I wont give the name, but there is no buddy logo on the bike, no sticker on the front or sides, they have badges like the internationals, the thick soft, type of logo. It had them on all 3 spots like normal buddies do, the front, and the side cowls.
rickko

Re: My trip to scooterworks + Genuine's "new" bike

Post by rickko »

jfrost2 wrote: I wish my orange buddy was bright green now.
If it was, would it go faster? Be quicker as your rumors might suggest?

Oh, great pics! Too bad the most important one is the blurry one, wink, wink.

I'll bet the flat black, red rims and white walls looks very cool. I've considered painting Italia rims red. I think it might look good w/white-walls.

..rickko..
Ride it like you enjoy it!
MB member #2568
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

No no, I know how many cc the green bike is, it's not the new 200cc bike.

They did not have the 200cc bike. No one does, CARB is holding it up everywhere because of inspections and testing, same for some 2009 buddy's too, reason why many dealers dont have them yet.

I'm still hunting the 200cc bike's details, all I can think of is the return of the blur. BUT, the sales guy told me "No, the new 200cc bike is not a blur, cost to import a gmax from taiwan and sell it would be way too much"

I dont know if he is just making up stuff so he doesnt leak anything, but if he is telling the truth, maybe there is a 200cc stella coming out.
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

Cool pics, jfrost2, and it sounds like a fun trip!

I'm gonna move this to the gallery since it's so image intensive though!
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

nice work jfrost! It sounds like your genuine visit was more fruitful than those before you.

looks like we are not getting a 200 just yet. but I bet there will be something special about that green buddy :wink:
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

I know a few members on this site who have talked to phil mcaleb before, or do occasionally, they have told me phil hasnt leaked any info to them about the 200cc bike. One member told me new buddies were in production, new series separate from the internationals. They told the truth, and I provided the pictures.
Orange Guy

Post by Orange Guy »

:?: :?:

I suppose I should be upset, even feel violated, but I'm not. No, in fact, I think this is a friendly message, like "Hey, wanna play?" and yes I want to play. I really really do.

Orange Guy, Inc.
BuddyLicious

Post by BuddyLicious »

jfrost2 wrote:I know a few members on this site who have talked to phil mcaleb before, or do occasionally, they have told me phil hasnt leaked any info to them about the 200cc bike. One member told me new buddies were in production, new series separate from the internationals. They told the truth, and I provided the pictures.
Well how could anybody know new series buddy's are being manufactured if Phil hasn't leaked any info.??
Aerosmith, None Other.
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

Orange Guy wrote::?: :?:

You win. That's Dave at metro scooter's buddy he painted flat black, but what I saw was 100% the same except it had a custom seat shape, with red trim.

But no one will ever guess the green bike still.
BuddyLicious wrote:
jfrost2 wrote:I know a few members on this site who have talked to phil mcaleb before, or do occasionally, they have told me phil hasnt leaked any info to them about the 200cc bike. One member told me new buddies were in production, new series separate from the internationals. They told the truth, and I provided the pictures.
Well how could anybody know new series buddy's are being manufactured if Phil hasn't leaked any info.??
No info leaked on the 200cc, but either him or other genuine workers have been leaking hints about new buddy's to certain special people. I did my homework, found who these people were, questioned them, and then just happened to see 2 new buddy's they were talking about in the storage room.
Last edited by jfrost2 on Sun Oct 05, 2008 1:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
BuddyLicious

Post by BuddyLicious »

Orange Guy wrote::?: :?:

Kinda cool paint job.Prima pipe a nice touch.But unless their is some decent engine mods from the factory,there is nothing here to be excited about.
Aerosmith, None Other.
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

As for the black jack being 150cc, that is all I know, I have no clue if there is any mods done to the transmission, but probably not. It already has a prima pipe which is some added performance.
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

Ok I am noticing a couple of playing cards on the plastic over the front wheel. That would be a deal breaker for me. Come on!

Otherwise I like the matte finish
Orange Guy

Post by Orange Guy »

jfrost2 wrote:As for the black jack being 150cc, that is all I know, I have no clue if there is any mods done to the transmission, but probably not. It already has a prima pipe which is some added performance.
So I wonder if it comes from the factory with a Prima pipe ... is the warranty right out the window? :twisted:
I suppose I should be upset, even feel violated, but I'm not. No, in fact, I think this is a friendly message, like "Hey, wanna play?" and yes I want to play. I really really do.

Orange Guy, Inc.
olhogrider

Post by olhogrider »

And so is the CARB smog certificate! Primas don't have a catcon, or do they...?
newslinky

Post by newslinky »

I like the looks of the Blackjack. I also really like the green color on that other one that you won't leak any info about for some reason. Why won't you say though? Did someone promise you a deal if you didn't leak the info? C'mon out with it!
Proud owner of a Buddy St. Tropez 150
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

I've talked to a couple people who were at the dealer meeting, and they don't seem to know anything about Blurs and/or 200cc bikes.

jfrost has confirmed a few things I've heard from others, I'll post all my dirt on 2strokebuzz tonight.
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

Ah, so YOU'RE the reason they refused to take me back to the garage! :cry: I was super-bummed because I already knew all the dealer meeting dirt from my friends at my local scooter shop. The chartreuse EcoBuddy will reportedly get 120 mpg. It's got all sorts of fancy whizzbangs, as does the performance-enhanced BlackJack. The price point on these Buddys will be considerably higher than the 2008s.
ModBud #442
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

I'll tell.

The green bike is named "EcoBuddy", 2 possibilities I have been tracking for months was the 2007 concept electric bubu shown in taiwan, or the rumored jetted, restricted, 120-130mpg buddy. I'm betting more on the second option as electrical scooters plain old suck and are weak. Plus, I dont remember 12 inch rims on it, it looks standard, which proves the rumor of the high mpg buddy true.

The dealer at Genuine's warehouse saw me taking the photo, told me to get away from there since they were service bikes, what I saw was nothing special, and that area really shouldnt be allowed to the public and needs to be roped off, blah blah, excuses. Me, my evidence, and rumors are all true.

Now, to paint match that bike with some krylon.

Sorry Polinarchy they wouldnt let you back, I doubt they read my post right then and there, but them seeing me getting into a area I shouldnt have been in, they probably didnt want to risk the word getting out. But it's already out and thanks to my photos for more proof.
LisaLisa

Post by LisaLisa »

Hmmmm eco-buddy:

I don't want that bike. I want mph not mpg.
Det finns inte dåligt väder bara dåliga kläder.
Kaje

Post by Kaje »

jfrost2 wrote: Now, to paint match that bike with some krylon.
I really like the color as well, you'll have to let us know if you find a similar color paint.
Orange Guy

Post by Orange Guy »

When you first showed that green Buddy, I kinda hoped they'd be doing a series inspired by the old Schwinn krates.

Orange Guy, Inc.
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

Ah, it's okeh jfrost2. I'm going to Taiwan next week, so I'll scoop you there. Not really.
ModBud #442
weaseltamer

Post by weaseltamer »

i LOVE that color of green. i melt for it.
Kaje

Post by Kaje »

here is my photoshop mock up of the green buddy, got the color pretty close I think. Maybe a little dark.

jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

Too dark, more of a bright neon green, it was kinda dark in the ware house with lights being really high on the ceiling.

The badge is maybe 3-4 inches high, 2 inches wide? A top left said "ecobuddy" and it had a picture of a tree on it. The bike is fuel injected, which also helps it get better mpg.

My opinion, seeing vespas getting 60-70mpg average, I think 80-90mpg on most genuine's is already good. 120-130mpg is pretty awesome, but to require special modification and restrictions to achieve higher mpg, I'd much rather than a stock bike which by stock, gets high mpg. But there are enthusiast who will enjoy the fact it's a scooter, and also enjoy getting 120+mph.
Leeroy Jenkins

Post by Leeroy Jenkins »

Black Jack is a total rip-off of stu' buddy in nashville. Same bike. I hope they give stu a nickel every time they sell one.

"he can hit 80mph"

No big whoop.

my bud = cream 07 bud stock xcpet 11g do pulley's. Flat ground, I bury the needle @ 80 bdu per hour.
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

Not sure when Stu painted his bike, but the black jack is based off Dave at metro scooter's own personal buddy. They've had pictures of custom buddy's they've made on their site for a long time. They kept the same name too, Dave nick named it the black jack, and the bade on the bike I saw said black jack too.

Also, true, you can hit 80 indicated, but then again, sea level, rider weight, tire pressure, etc can all effect performance of the bike. In general though, if you are a light rider, the bike will have a higher top speed stock, but to have the same/similar top speed and you are a much heavier rider, you will need some performance mods.
LisaLisa

Post by LisaLisa »

No need to get the krylon out.
When those bikes come out have your dealer order the panels as "crash parts".
Voila, faux eco buddy that goes 70 mph.

Besides, don't those 50 cc bikes get excellent gas mileage?
Det finns inte dåligt väder bara dåliga kläder.
weaseltamer

Post by weaseltamer »

so is there any chance genuine is going to be pissed as hell that you've leaked all this anyways? make'em hate modbud a little?
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

Ordering panels from my dealer would cost 200-300 dollars, to me, that is a waste of money just to change the color of a bike when I could get a paint match, 15-20 dollars, 2-3 hours of work + drying time, do the whole bike.

200-300 dollars is cheap if you scratch up the whole bike in a accident, but for appearance, it isnt worth the money.
weaseltamer wrote:so is there any chance genuine is going to be pissed as hell that you've leaked all this anyways? make'em hate modbud a little?
If they want to hate me, they can, I'm sure they know my name and everything, and could come egg my house, but they are a nice and reputable company.

But remember, I leaked this info 1 day early, everyone who had attended the genuine dealer meeting, would have leaked it the next day to their customers if they were nice. Then from there onto modernbuddy!

But heck, I wont give names, but a few members have already "leaked" stuff too because their dealers told them, or reps at genuine told them, then they posted onto modernbuddy.

They're just as guilty as me, but a tad late. Then again, they were allowed to know about it from higher ups, I just accidentally saw them in person and snapped some shots and provided photo evidence. Meh!
Orange Guy

Post by Orange Guy »

I would hardly call this bad publicity. It's building anticipation, if anything.

I used to love looking at those Car & Driver top secret prototype photos of the cars with black panels and such.

Orange Guy, Inc.
betsy q. bramble

Post by betsy q. bramble »

It's not called "Black Jack" on the 09 order forms...hmm.
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

Doesnt matter what the order forms say, the bike itself has been confirmed by many people as "black jack", plus I saw the badge myself, it says black jack. I think the playing cards also give off the black jack theme.
betsy q. bramble

calm down frosty, i was not disputing you. I was just pointing out an observation.
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

betsy q. bramble wrote:calm down frosty, i was not disputing you. I was just pointing out an observation.
Sorry if it sounded defensive, didnt mean for it to sound angry and such. I just meant "Ah well...doesnt effect the name" :)
betsy q. bramble

On the order form I saw, it was called Buddy Lightning. I just find it interesting that a name change could happen so quickly between order form and badging.
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

Illnoise had told me he remembered a rumor about a buddy with a lightening bolt. I saw nothing like that on the blackjack. Maybe ecobuddy's name on the form is "Buddy lightening" ?
betsy q. bramble

Nope. That one is on there as Eco Buddy.
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

Are you sure you didnt see "black jack" on the list? Many dealers are now confirming the name. But how strange they would name the bike on the order form "Buddy lightening" Unless there is a 3rd new buddy coming out.
armacham

Post by armacham »

So cool!

I can't wait to see these at the dealer.
betsy q. bramble

jfrost2 wrote:Are you sure you didnt see "black jack" on the list? Many dealers are now confirming the name. But how strange they would name the bike on the order form "Buddy lightening" Unless there is a 3rd new buddy coming out.
Yep I am absolutely positive. This is the order list that I can access through the dealer section of the Genuine site. I saw Buddy Lightning by the other 150s, and Eco Buddy down with the 125s although engine size was not distinguished on the form.

I also saw that the Rough House will be available in black.

I also saw that there will be 50cc versions of all the Internationals.

Trust me - I was reading over this thing slightly obsessively.
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

50cc versions of the internationals was expected seeing how they have had a "little italia"
betsy q. bramble

man, there is really no impressing this guy unless you have peed at the urinal next to a new buddy, eh?
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

betsy q. bramble wrote:On the order form I saw, it was called Buddy Lightning. I just find it interesting that a name change could happen so quickly between order form and badging.
The Lightning was the original name for what is now the Blackjack. I heard there were trademark issues.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

betsy q. bramble wrote:man, there is really no impressing this guy unless you have peed at the urinal next to a new buddy, eh?
You could fold him a towel in the shape of a swan. :P
Eazy

Post by Eazy »

illnoise wrote:I've talked to a couple people who were at the dealer meeting, and they don't seem to know anything about Blurs and/or 200cc bikes.

jfrost has confirmed a few things I've heard from others, I'll post all my dirt on 2strokebuzz tonight.
:?

I've been checking your website every hour.

Still no dirt.
-Ian Follow Me
'08 Genuine Stella - "totaled"
'06 Honda Elite 80 - "bullet proof"
Eazy Scoots.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Eazy wrote:
illnoise wrote:I've talked to a couple people who were at the dealer meeting, and they don't seem to know anything about Blurs and/or 200cc bikes.

Still no dirt.
Night's not over! So impatient!
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
newslinky

Post by newslinky »

ericalm wrote:
Eazy wrote:

Still no dirt.
Night's not over! So impatient!
Just pointing out the night 2stroke was speaking is in fact over as it was last night. :lol:
Proud owner of a Buddy St. Tropez 150