It's a 50cc, Officer

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

loodieboy

It's a 50cc, Officer

Post by loodieboy »

Ahh, the 50cc conundrum. Here in Kentucky, you don't need tags. That doesn't stop some local P.D.'s, however, from stopping tagless scooters just to be certain :roll:. The bigger problem is our immediate neighbor to the north, Ohio, which requires tags on a 50 cc. There is a reciprocal agreement with Kentucky, which means if you are stopped in Ohio with no tags on a 50 cc, and show your KY driver's license and registration, you're O.K. But sheesh.

Someone suggested we slap a plate on my wife's Metro declaring its displacement in an effort to stave off inquisitive officers of the law. And so we did. And here it is. And we shall see.
Attachments
IMG_1248.jpg
IMG_1248.jpg (69.13 KiB) Viewed 747 times
Clearly.
docutech

Post by docutech »

Do you by chance carry a title with you?
loodieboy

Post by loodieboy »

No way we'd do that. Just the registration. Oh, and why do you have to register if you don't get tags? Well, there is an annual vehicle tax in Kentucky. Gov'nuh gets his.
Clearly.
MrNatural

Post by MrNatural »

Kentucky...Ohio...nuf said....
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

If Kentucky is trying to enforce their moped exemption rule, I suppose they have figured out that a derestricted Buddy 50 does not meet the exemption requirement. Now, a Honda metropolitan just might I presume.
sunshinen

Post by sunshinen »

Dealerships around here often give 50cc'ers those types of plates when they purchase the scooter. Same scenario in DC: they have to be tagged, but if you don't live in DC you only have to be tagged according to your state's laws.
loodieboy

Post by loodieboy »

Dooglas, you can derestrict a Metro, at least the '06 (there is a removable baffle which restricts the exhaust), but I can't imagine that a roadside stop of any machine would reveal that it has been derestricted. Short of a mechanical inspection, I thought the only way to tell would be getting clocked in excess of 35. Oh well, ours isn't derestricted, so no worry.
Clearly.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

loodieboy wrote:Dooglas, you can derestrict a Metro, at least the '06 (there is a removable baffle which restricts the exhaust), but I can't imagine that a roadside stop of any machine would reveal that it has been derestricted. Short of a mechanical inspection, I thought the only way to tell would be getting clocked in excess of 35. Oh well, ours isn't derestricted, so no worry.
I'd say you are right concerning a mechanical inspection. Much easier just to clock the speed of the scooter - it is 30 mph maximum in Kentucky and most other states by the way.
Last edited by Dooglas on Sun Oct 12, 2008 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
loodieboy

Post by loodieboy »

Yep, you're right about the 30 mph. Boy of boy, 50cc's just seem to come with so many strings attached. I must get my wife to upgrade. Her scooter that is.
Clearly.