Buddy on the Tail of the Dragon

Scooter and Rally Pictures and Videos

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Buddy on the Tail of the Dragon

Post by BuddyRaton »

Got Tail of the dragon pics? Post them here!
Attachments
Mrs Raton on the Dragon
Mrs Raton on the Dragon
b 29280.JPG (74.5 KiB) Viewed 1627 times
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Is this from the Amerivespa ride?
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

It was the same day as the Amerivespa ride but we did it a little differently. The Amerivespa ride was goingtobe over 300 miles in one day...the day BEFORE therally actually started! Five of us trailered to the Cherohala Welcome Center.

What a great facility! Free parking with trailer parking, really nice people.

We started out north and did the entirel oop...about 120 miles... then trailered back to Chattanooga.

http://www.tailofthedragon.com/maps_loop.html

When we finished the Dragon we stopped at Deals Gap for a bite. The Amerivespa crew pulled up heading the other way. Had lunch with some friends chatted...confused all the Harley riders with so many scooters and then we all headed off again.

It really was the right way for us to do it. The Amerivespa people were kind of rushed all day. We just stopped where we felt like it and didnt hurry. Alot of them were too wiped out the next day to go riding. That and the fact that I was riding a 64 GL that I had picked up the day before 120 miles was just right!
Attachments
BuddyRaton and Mrs. Raton on the Dragon!
BuddyRaton and Mrs. Raton on the Dragon!
b 29277A.jpg (81.62 KiB) Viewed 1603 times
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
docutech

Post by docutech »

Man, I want to ride that road soo bad! :cry:
runtotorun121

Post by runtotorun121 »

What was the speed limit on the road?
~Celebrate~
docutech

Post by docutech »

I believe it is 30 mph.
Racenut

Post by Racenut »

Roads like that should have speed limits, just speed suggestions :D
docutech

Post by docutech »

Racenut wrote:Roads like that should have speed limits,
They do. 30 mph. Boneheads who think they can concour the Dragon parish, unfortunately...
Racenut

Post by Racenut »

ha.. that's what I get for posting before coffee gets into the system.

SHOULD NOT :p

I'd be happy if for roads like that they would put signs at either end saying something to the effect of....

"If you can't drive/ride, do not enter"

Or maybe that one could be "If you are afraid of dragons, go home, hide under your bed." :D
MikieTaps

Post by MikieTaps »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekkUzhh9 ... re=related

some videos of people that didnt respect the dragon
KRUSTYburger

Post by KRUSTYburger »

I would LOVE to ride the dragon! I'm not worried about my own riding skills hindering me, mostly people who think they are awesome and like to fly around people at crazy speeds. Also, people that don't like to stay in their lane around corners! :shock:
Racenut

Post by Racenut »

OK, so what's the deal with "the Dragon"? It's famous, I know this, seems to be especially popular with 2 wheelers.

It looks like a pretty ride, and seems like the pavement is in decent shape but why is it so crazy famous? Is it the only mountain road in that part of the country or what?

Maybe I'm spoiled with great roads around here because it looks like a medium road to me. Not very twisty, just enough to have fun other than it seems there's way too many people on it for fun. How long is it? Please tell me it's 100 miles or something that would make it epic.
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

There really isnt much of an oportunity to take in the scenery. The dragon has 318 curves in 11 miles. Even staying at the posted speed limits you need to pay close attention. We didn't have any problems with kneedragers or squids. A couple of Cruisers came up behind us and we just waved them on by.

Why go?
WHY RED IS RED!

It really is the two wheel Mecca of the country. Everybody caters to riders. Hotels, campgrounds, restaurants. We stopped in one little store for a break and bought some sodas and junk. There was a sign that said "no public restroom" Mrs Raton asked where there was one. "Theres one in the back of the store for bikers...help yourself!"
That storealso had an ET4 out front for sale!
Everyone we met was great! I think it is a combination of the ride and the atmosphere that makes it all happen. When I looked back on my pictures everybody was smiling!

SPEED LIMITS:
Prior to 1992 the speed limit in both Tennessee and North Carolina was 55 mph. In 1993 the speed limit on the Tennessee side was lowered to 40 mph. In 2002 the speed limit was lowered to 30 mph, which is still in effect today. The North Carolina portion of the Dragon was lowered to 30 mph in early 2005..
www.teamscootertrash.com

BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

www.teamscootertrash.com

ScooterN

Any scooter group(s) planing a trip to ride "The dragon

Post by ScooterN »

Any scooter group(s) planing a trip to ride "The dragon" ?
Looking to go riding there again. Would be better to enjoy with a group of fellow scooterists. Am planing to definitly be there last half of October for peak color season.
carol

amerivespa

Post by carol »

We met some of you folks at AMERIVESPA in july and now i am trying to find JACKIE AND MELANIE from florida...
i lost your e mail address!! if you see this...or anyone who knows them, can you please let them know we are looking for them??
thanks...
carol and jessy from nashville...
carevega@gmail.com
CARE
Lagerhead

Post by Lagerhead »

BoneGirl

Post by BoneGirl »

This was an unbelievable experience for me and I recommend it to anyone ready to put their Buddy to the test! Here are the rest of our pictures and the video Lagerhead took our first day on The Dragon:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/78266126@N ... 926601009/

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=xi1X9HNIKVI
newslinky

Post by newslinky »

Wow that looks like so much fun! One day I will ride the tail.
Proud owner of a Buddy St. Tropez 150