Seeking input on proposed new Suzuki Scooter

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Seeking input on proposed new Suzuki Scooter

Post by jrsjr »

The website MotorcycleDaily.com is soliciting input on a new scooter that Suzuki is thinking about producing (see below). I've made the picture clickable so you can go directly to the site and give them your feedback. These guys seem to be interested in scooters, but they are a motorcycle site, so I think it would be helpful if they heard from some actual scooterists.

Thanks!

Last edited by jrsjr on Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CiaoItalia

Post by CiaoItalia »

Looks like the product of an intimate encounter between a maxi scoot and a crotch rocket..
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

CiaoItalia wrote:Looks like the product of an intimate encounter between a maxi scoot and a crotch rocket..
Is that necessarily a bad thing?

P.S. Tell them, not me. They apparently have Suzuki's ear.
CiaoItalia

Post by CiaoItalia »

I did not say it was bad or good...just an observation. I guess we'll have to all draw our own conclusions. I told the people at Suzuki that as well
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

Looks like a crotch rocket from them, but fattened up. It looks real nice.
dorian

Post by dorian »

I'm into scooters, not maxi scooters. I think they would rather I not provide feedback on that motorcycle-wannabe.

It reminds me of the old Opel GT... trying to look like something that its not.
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

dorian wrote:I'm into scooters, not maxi scooters. I think they would rather I not provide feedback on that motorcycle-wannabe.

It reminds me of the old Opel GT... trying to look like something that its not.
I agree, small frame bikes are always the nicest, maxi scooters remind me of cruising motorcycles you see on the highway. Though this one is nice, the racing graphics are a bit funny seeing how they are the same on their motorcycles.
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

Why bother?

It's not a scooter. There's hardly any step-through at all. I notice the trend on these maxi-scoots is a taller and taller center hump to the point where the step through is almost non-existant. What you then have is a motorcycle. If you have to swing your leg over it like a motorcycle, it's a motorcycle. If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck......

Also, there's almost no ground clearance. With that long wheelbase, you're going to be scraping that sucker everywhere. Forget about speed bumps.
Jake

Post by Jake »

Yeah...I don't really dig that at all. If I wanted a GSXR, I would get a GSXR. If I was going to get a Bergman, I'd want it to look like I got it to cruise on the highway for a long time, not like I was a crotch rocket poseur type of thing.
I wouldn't hate it, but it doesn't really do anything for me.
BGK

Re: Seeking input on proposed new Suzuki Scooter

Post by BGK »

They have the Gemma and they try to come up with something new and the fruits of that work is this Gixxer embarrassment? Well, there goes any hope of getting anything good out of Suzuki in terms of scooters for the next 25 years.

Sad.
betsy q. bramble

Post by betsy q. bramble »

ew. BAD suzuki....bad!
docutech

Post by docutech »

I would ride it like I stole it. Sorry folks, that scooter is HAWT. True, the GSX-R color scheme may be a bit overboard however, it is a "concept" and not the real deal so the color should not be an issue. A white version of this would have me biting my nails. If the 650 will receive a make over such as this I am all over it.

I think that scooter looks great. Here is the nuts and bolts of the proposed upgrades:

peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

it's horrible. But that is just me
djelliott

Post by djelliott »

So do we need to coin the phrase "crotch scooter". :D
Prima pipe
UNI filter
125 Main Jet
2000RPM Stall Spring
1500RPM Clutch Springs
Dr. Pulley Variator with 11 Gram Sliders
NCY Front Forks
Prima/NCY 161cc Big Bore kit With 150 Head
KS Power GY6 Performance Springs
NCY Secondary Shieve
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

djelliott wrote:So do we need to coin the phrase "crotch scooter". :D
I personally think "suppository" is more appropriate.
Racenut

Post by Racenut »

I'd be afraid it's looks wrote checks it's performance couldn't cash.

I'd love to ride it, but I'm not sure I'd want to own it. And looking like that.. I'm thinking there would be quite a selection of motorcycles you could get for the same money.
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

Cant we all just get along?

I'm always surprised at how scooter forums slam maxi scoots. I hate to tell you..but they ARE scooters! I think this is a great scooter..IF YOU WANT ONE! The Burgman 400 is a very popular scooter here and in Europe. Why a maxi instead of a MC?

CVT transmission (Burgman 650 electronic cvt)
Highway speeds with no problem
In the rain you stay MUCH drier than on a MC
Comfort
Smoothness
Handling - motor is mounted much lower than a MC lowering COG
Storage - I can fit a 17-inch laptop hardhat, raingear and a few other things. On a MC I cant even pack a cigar without extra bags.
As with the Buddy most maxi scooters are deceivingly quick and nimble.

And as a note the term "smallframe" generally refers to Vespa models that are about 2/3 the sizeofaVespa P series
http://scoot.net/faq/Smallframe
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
BGK

Post by BGK »

BuddyRaton wrote:Cant we all just get along?
NO!

Being civil is one thing. I'm all for manners and rational discussion. Requiring people to agree is unreasonable. But Maxi-scooters are not in the spirit of what is known as a scooter. Maxi scooters may be an evolution of the modern automatic scooter, but as any product of an evolution they are a different species. They are generally huge and heavy. Fast? Yes! Extremely functional? Yes! The exact right vehicle for many people? Yes! The same as small functional light fun scooters? No! So I don't think they should hijack the name. I've long been a proponent of finding a new name for these great functional large automatic motorcycles. It's just unfortunate that the word scooter has stuck with them.

That Suzuki scooter is a representation of Japanese customer maxi scooters. They are some crazy well built fantastic machines. But the fun of customized bikes in the process. That beast has been finished the way it would appeal to on small segment (that is unlikely to buy scooters in the first place). Bikes like the Ruckus were such hits in part because you could look at them and see all the possibilities. This maxi is at the end of the road already.
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

BGK wrote:
NO!

Being civil is one thing. I'm all for manners and rational discussion. Requiring people to agree is unreasonable. But Maxi-scooters are not in the spirit of what is known as a scooter. Maxi scooters may be an evolution of the modern automatic scooter, but as any product of an evolution they are a different species. They are generally huge and heavy. Fast? Yes! Extremely functional? Yes! The exact right vehicle for many people? Yes! The same as small functional light fun scooters? No! So I don't think they should hijack the name. I've long been a proponent of finding a new name for these great functional large automatic motorcycles. It's just unfortunate that the word scooter has stuck with them.

That Suzuki scooter is a representation of Japanese customer maxi scooters. They are some crazy well built fantastic machines. But the fun of customized bikes in the process. That beast has been finished the way it would appeal to on small segment (that is unlikely to buy scooters in the first place). Bikes like the Ruckus were such hits in part because you could look at them and see all the possibilities. This maxi is at the end of the road already.
You have to remember some members here ride maxi scooters as their main bike. It's still a scooter no matter how much you think it isnt. It's got leg room, lots of storage, auto trans, etc.
Orange Guy

Post by Orange Guy »

Remember that scene in Office Space in which they take the printer out to a field and beat it with ball bats?

That's what I want to do to that scooter.
I suppose I should be upset, even feel violated, but I'm not. No, in fact, I think this is a friendly message, like "Hey, wanna play?" and yes I want to play. I really really do.

Orange Guy, Inc.
armacham

Post by armacham »

Hey look a 500 cc that still looks stylish and fun. Why it IS possible!

Xposted from another thread
Attachments
500.jpg
500.jpg (77.82 KiB) Viewed 2159 times
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

BGK wrote:
BGK wrote:NO!

Requiring people to agree is unreasonable.

I really don't see where agreement was "required".

BGK wrote:But Maxi-scooters are not in the spirit of what is known as a scooter.
Many people are of the opinion that ANY 4 stroke twist and go is "not in the spirit of what is known as a scooter

BGK wrote:It's just unfortunate that the word scooter has stuck with them.
The word has stuck with them because that is what they are!

The United States Department of Transportation defines 'scooters' separately from motorcycles in order to regulate their compliance with various standards -- notably locations of throttle and braking controls, which differ considerably from motorcycle controls
BGK wrote:uot;]That Suzuki scooter is a representation of Japanese customer maxi scooters. They are some crazy well built fantastic machines. But the fun of customized bikes in the process. That beast has been finished the way it would appeal to on small segment (that is unlikely to buy scooters in the first place). Bikes like the Ruckus were such hits in part because you could look at them and see all the possibilities. This maxi is at the end of the road already.

HUH?
http://www.scootersales.com.au/Gallery- ... rnews.aspx
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
dorian

Post by dorian »

I love the looks of the 500cc Scarabeo. It has the looks I like in a scooter. But folks, most scooters are recognized as pretty much the MPG saviors of the world. Joe Schmuckatteli looks at scooters as impractical for daily use, but the impractical can be tolerated in light of the amount of fuel savings.

This 500cc Scarabeo comes in at a whopping 416.67 pounds (189 kilograms) and gets between 55 and 60 mpg on a good day with optimistic reporting of the results. Most maxi-scoots are reporting the same type of figures.

Maxi-scooters are the perfect answer for some people. The Silver Wing can do everything that a Gold Wing can do, albeit perhaps a little less aggressively. But I agree with BGK, when I hear the term "scooter" I'm not thinking of one of these maxi's.

This thing that Suzuki is prototyping looks like Anime run amok. Put wings on it and the Power Rangers have a new evil-fighting-transport. That look works for some and there is no accounting for taste, but it will date itself pretty much overnight.
UrbanBuddy82

Post by UrbanBuddy82 »

Dude, Slap some cannons on the front of that thing and you would have the Lawmaster... (the bike from Judge Dredd)
Red Buddy Club
S.P.A.Z MEMBER
Racenut

Post by Racenut »

I'd hit it. But then I ride a Blur :P

My 12 year old son says it's "wicked cool" :D
betsy q. bramble

Post by betsy q. bramble »

or THIS!

ugh, so much better than that dudeguycycle up there.
armacham

Post by armacham »

betsy q. bramble wrote:or THIS!

ugh, so much better than that dudeguycycle up there.
One of the guys who is on our group rides in Tucson often has one of these. It is a sweet bike.
PeterC

New Suzuki Scooter

Post by PeterC »

It seems that this proposed product goes even further in blurring the distinction between a motorcycle and a scooter. Other than having an automatic transmission and a different location for the gas tank, how is this vehicle different from your average crotch rocket? I'm sure that this could be someone's dream ride, but as a scooter, it leaves me cold.
BGK

Post by BGK »

jfrost2 wrote:You have to remember some members here ride maxi scooters as their main bike. It's still a scooter no matter how much you think it isnt. It's got leg room, lots of storage, auto trans, etc.
Why do you think I'm forgetting? Do you think so little of the Maxi's that you don't think they deserve the honor of their own name? In many ways they are so much more than a normal scooter. Why do you hate them so much and want to keep them down? If I were a maxi owner I'd be offended at your demeaning comments.

EQUAL RIGHTS FOR AUTOMATIC MOTORCYCLES*!

(A.K.A.: maxi-scooters, power sleighs, road sleds, auto-bikes, power-cycles, auto-cruisers!)
BGK

Post by BGK »

BuddyRaton wrote:
The word has stuck with them because that is what they are!

The United States Department of Transportation defines 'scooters' separately from motorcycles in order to regulate their compliance with various standards -- notably locations of throttle and braking controls, which differ considerably from motorcycle controls
They do not separate them from motorcycles but define them with the language: "Scooter means a motorcycle that...". So they are motorcycles first. And I don't believe that a particular way in which the U.S. Fed Gov't defines something is the end all of a discussion. Many state gov'ts use the term moped for many vehicles that are not mopeds. They have no pedals. I understand the why's and how's of these regulation linked definitions. But I don't take them as reasons for logical support for the subjecting of many automatic motorcycles to the fate of carrying the 'scooter' moniker.

EQUAL RIGHTS FOR AUTOMATIC MOTORCYCLES*!

(A.K.A.: maxi-scooters, power sleighs, road sleds, cargo-cruisers, auto-bikes, power-cycles, road-rockets or auto-cruisers!)
Eazy

Post by Eazy »

a gixer scoot.

I would dig it.

especially if it would do wheelies and stuff.
-Ian Follow Me
'08 Genuine Stella - "totaled"
'06 Honda Elite 80 - "bullet proof"
Eazy Scoots.
olhogrider

Post by olhogrider »

I like the GSXooter or whatever they call it. Valentino Rossi rides a Yamaha scooter when he is not on the track. As for the Scarabeo, I never liked that weird oval in the plastic side cover. Yamaha owns Ohlins so it could come with some nice bits. I love the performance of a sportbike, but I can't take the seating position. I would love real performance in a scooter!
weaseltamer

Post by weaseltamer »

i wouldn't trust the low ground clearance. we get potholes in this neck of the woods.
Susan Pegsmen
Banned

Post by Susan Pegsmen »

jrsjr wrote:The website MotorcycleDaily.com is soliciting input on a new scooter that Suzuki is thinking about producing (see below). I've made the picture clickable so you can go directly to the site and give them your feedback. These guys seem to be interested in scooters, but they are a motorcycle site, so I think it would be helpful if they heard from some actual scooterists.

Thanks!

rather have a TMAX
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

Susan Pegsmen wrote:rather have a TMAX
Ahhh, good point! Have you seen one yet? They're even better in person than the pix.

P.S. This is such a good comment, I hope you will follow the link to the MotorcycleDaily.com site and give them your feedback.
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

Let's see if she can talk about Yamahas in every thread!

But I'd rather have a T-Max, too. That thing looks like a personal watercraft.

Bb.
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
BGK

Post by BGK »

Susan Pegsmen wrote:
rather have a TMAX
Troll.
BGK

the results are in!

Post by BGK »

http://www.motorcycledaily.com/22octobe ... an_rr1.htm

The uninformed motorcycle buying public has spoken.
Howardr

Post by Howardr »

A co-worker has a T-MAX. IMHO, these two "scooters" look an awful lot alike. They're both pretty, in a sports bike kind of way. I think the phrase "step-through design" has been taken way too far.
I got my scooter because of the flat floor board area. That, to me, is what defines a scooter. My son has a SYM, RV 250. It doesn't really have a step through design either. It's a pretty ride, but not my idea of a scooter. These things are all some degree of hybrid.

Howard
Iron Butt Association Member Number 42256
Club - The Sky Island Riders.
Publisher: The Scooter 'Zine thescooterzine.com
MAJensen

Post by MAJensen »

Looks like a lot of fun. I would have to see it IRL and sit on it. But I think it has a nicer look than the Burgman. Not saying I don’t like the Burgman. I would love to have one of those too. But the bright sporty colors would be harder to miss on the freeway. This is where most of my commute is when I hit the snooze button to many times.