Sccoter Skirt - probably more for the ladies

Scooter and Rally Pictures and Videos

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

OScoot!

Sccoter Skirt - probably more for the ladies

Post by OScoot! »

I've also tried several variations of making lap aprons and/or scooter skirts. What I eventually found worked best for me was simply a long skirt that I could pull on over my jeans. No problems with the "flapping in the wind"...and you can still get your feet to the ground at stops. Easy sewing job....and fairly cheap depending on the material you decide to use. This one was about $20 for everything and took about 2 hours to make. Wind resistant nylon on the outside, fleece on the inside, elastic waist and hem binding around the edges....kick pleat in the back. Your butt stays warm too.
shahdhch

Post by shahdhch »

What did you use for the outside? That looks like something I could do :D

*edited to say I seen where you put wind resistant nylon for the outside. Great job. I hope you don't mind if I do one myself based on yours.
I once shot a man just to watch him die. Then I got distracted and missed it.
OScoot!

Post by OScoot! »

shahdhch wrote:What did you use for the outside? That looks like something I could do :D
Just went down to the local fabric store and asked them for something that would block the wind. It's a sports nylon type of fabric. Don't know if it has a particular name.

Literally, all this is is two pieces of fabric.....45 inch width. Fold each piece in half and seam up the back leaving enough open to make the kick pleat. (Figure out about how much you need based on your height.) Then to make it reversible, put one skirt inside the other with the OUTSIDES facing each other and stitch them together at the top. Stitch around the waist band wide enough to insert some elastic banding, make a slit at the seam, pull the elastic through stitching the two ends together. Then stitch the slit closed by hand. Finish it off to the correct height for you (while sitting on the scooter) by using one inch folded hem binding around the bottom and the kick pleat. I also used the hem binding at the top waist band, just for a finished look.

Another suggested "improvement" might be to use a wind resistant fabric for the front of the skirt and a less slippery type fabric for the back of the skirt. The only difference is that you'd have to put in side seams rather than just the one back seam. Or, you could even put in something like a quarter panel of wool or something, just in the seat area. Anything to give you a bit of "grip" in the seat. Personally, I do fine with the all nylon material, but some may find they slide forward a bit when braking.
OScoot!

Post by OScoot! »

shahdhch wrote: I hope you don't mind if I do one myself based on yours.
Heck no......you might figure out an even better way to construct it. If you do, let us know. I just wanted something quick, easy, cheap and functional! And easy to slip off when I ran up to the grocery or whatever. Also, I could throw it over the the scooter seat and not have to worry much about someone stealing it. Who'd want it? Right? Now a Corazzo apron would be something else. That would be gone in a minute if you left it out. :D