First Attempt at Making a Seatcover

Scooter and Rally Pictures and Videos

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

LMK

First Attempt at Making a Seatcover

Post by LMK »

Well I just got my scooter on Monday, so it's all still pretty new to me. But I don't like the grey seat on the Italia so I had to make a new seatcover asap.

This is my first try... I think it turned out ok but there's a few things I'm going to do differently in the future. This one's sorta fun and there's a lot of stuff going on in the fabric. I figure I'll make a few different ones w/ different patters/colors so I can switch them out when I feel like it.

The first 2 are just the seatcover, the last picture is showing my scooter parked snugly in the garage... Enjoy!
Attachments
seatcover3.JPG
seatcover3.JPG (37.05 KiB) Viewed 1383 times
seatcover2.JPG
seatcover2.JPG (56.24 KiB) Viewed 1383 times
seatcover1.JPG
seatcover1.JPG (46.55 KiB) Viewed 1383 times
Last edited by LMK on Sat Oct 04, 2008 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
docutech

Post by docutech »

Looks pretty good for a first go!
mhardgrove

Post by mhardgrove »

looks nice!
weaseltamer

Post by weaseltamer »

yep, looks great!
eeyoremd

Post by eeyoremd »

That came out good. I've been thinking of making a seat cover but haven't found the right material yet.
Sailboat13

seat covers

Post by Sailboat13 »

That looks pretty darn good to me. I'd like to have a couple seat covers. I'm wondering,,,how does one get a pattern. If I had that I think I could make one myself. There's this gal dowm the road who does sewing. I bet she could turn some nice ones out. Still need a parttern though, I guess.
ericalm
Site Admin

Re: seat covers

Post by ericalm »

Sailboat13 wrote:That looks pretty darn good to me. I'd like to have a couple seat covers. I'm wondering,,,how does one get a pattern. If I had that I think I could make one myself. There's this gal dowm the road who does sewing. I bet she could turn some nice ones out. Still need a parttern though, I guess.
There are a couple of ways, one of which would be just to lay tracing paper over the seat, trace each panel to get the curves right, add in seam allowance and and space to fold under and staple. You could also pull the staples out and remove the existing cover, then trace, adding a little to the edges if you're going to put the new cover over the original one.

If you show the seat to the seamstress, she'll probably have a good idea of how she'd make the pattern.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
black sunshine

Post by black sunshine »

that is AWESOME!!! if you have a pattern could you post it or something?
LMK

Post by LMK »

To make the pattern, I just used an old bedsheet and laid it on the seat.. traced around each section (4 sections), then when I cut them out I made them each about 1/2 inch or so bigger all around, since you're going to sew them all together eventually and add the elastic too. Remember, better to have too much fabric than not enough, so if you're not sure how big to make the pieces, make them bigger than you think. Then later you can take-in the fabric where needed. After you get each pattern cut, lay them on the fabric you will use, pin them in place, then cut! I actually folded my pattern and fabric in half so each piece will be symmetrical (little sewing tip for ya!)

Maybe next time I make a seatcover I will take pictures of the steps, so they're a little more clear.

I still have the patterns I made, I would post them but how do I do that? I don't have a scanner,.. guess I could give the dimensions, but that might be too confusing.