Merry Christmas! Who got new scoot gear?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Micah_Prophet

Merry Christmas! Who got new scoot gear?

Post by Micah_Prophet »

Merry Christmas! Who got new sccot gear? My family pitched in great cooking gear, but no scoot - I didn't honestly know what to ask for scoot wise - but that is likely not the case for all of you - anyone?

Post by rickyd410 »

Alright. I got a pair of the new chrome grips from JC Whitney. The 5 inch ones.

But one of the has a bigger opening that the other. One is like 1" and the other is about 1.375 inches.

Is this normal? Besides that, the grips look badass. I really like them.

Anyone know about the different sized holes?
okc beer buddy

Post by okc beer buddy »

Merry Christmas, and happy holidays to all. My wife and I got new goggles for each other, and I bought her some leather gloves and foot warming insoles. We wanted full face helmets, but alas had to stop spending on ourselves to buy for others....Anyway, we've had a great Christmas, have been scooting frequently, even below 40 degrees on a couple of mornings. I hope you all have received many blessings during this holiday season.
Less pollutin' with happy scootin', so scoot on over and I'll have a cold one waiting.

Chris
Elm Creek Smith

Post by Elm Creek Smith »

I got a $50.00 gift card to Bass Pro Shops. I'm going to buy a neck warmer and some snowmobile gloves for winter riding.

ECS
Yes, that is my scooter.
Yes, I wear a helmet and a FIRSTGEAR armored jacket.
No, I'm not embarrassed to be seen riding it.
Yes, that is an NRA sticker on the fender.

"I aim to misbehave."
GenuineSlacker

Post by GenuineSlacker »

I got lots of tools and some hand warmer packets. My uncle also managed to get some side buckets for his vespa and a windscreen. I made out better though with a black and red corrazo hoodie, and I'll tell you now, best money you'll ever spend.
"Angels who are forced from heaven have no choice but to become demons." - Vicious
Keys

Post by Keys »

Let's see...I got a new Z1R Metro helmet, a Genuine Scooters jacket, a Scooterworks Calender, a black rear rack for my Buddy, new winter gloves and a book about performance tuning for Vespa engines (for my Allstate...since it's basically just a Vespa Primavera with crappy front suspension).

Do I have the coolest wife, or what?

--Keys 8)
"Life without music would Bb"
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

I had wanted to get GatsbyGirl a chrome rear rack for her Buddy but there were none to be found! I'll have to surprise her with one when they get back in stock. I got a flyscreen for the Vespa, though. All that stuff about a small windshield improving top speed and so on? It's actually true! :)
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

I got my wife a new white Joe Rocket mesh jacket and a pair of white gloves. She loves them!
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
lobsterman

Post by lobsterman »

While I didn't actually receive anything scooter related yesterday, I did get the check from my Dad that he sends all us kids every year. I had already bought my winter riding gloves and antifog replacement visor for my Bell helmet with the money I knew was coming. Now I need to be disciplined enough to just send the money to Visa. :)

My Christmas was wonderful, hope everyone else's was too.
Kevin
AYPWIP?
rajron

Post by rajron »

I got the antitheses to scooter gear errr that is something that will take me away from scootering – I got a new golf bag!
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

rajron wrote:I got the antitheses to scooter gear errr that is something that will take me away from scootering – I got a new golf bag!

Hmmmmm....do I detect the evolution of a new sport?
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
NarMeowZippy

Post by NarMeowZippy »

I got my scoot trailer!!! I'm really excited to use it! All I need to buy is a Class II hitch and then Buddy and I can hit the open road. 8)

I'm seeing this new sport too... maybe "Scooter Polo"? Intriguing! :D
It's Scooter-rific!!!
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

NarMeowZippy wrote:I got my scoot trailer!!! I'm really excited to use it! All I need to buy is a Class II hitch and then Buddy and I can hit the open road. 8)

I'm seeing this new sport too... maybe "Scooter Polo"? Intriguing! :D
I'm a fan of small cars, so it pains me to admit that every time I think of my next car, scooter hauling/towing capability is a consideration. But as I have no need for a truck/SUV otherwise, I think I'll just have to rent on the rare occasions we travel for rallies, etc. Though I've considered bringing the scoots along on vacation road trips... maybe I'll just buy a Versa Hauler... :D

Scooter Polo! It would have to be played on a "field" the size of a mall parking lot. And we may have to have custom left side throttles for us rightys. But I think it can be done... and Buddy 50s are the perfect rides for it!
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
dahuffy

Post by dahuffy »

Nothing scooter related for me, but I did get Kev a Digital Tire Gauge on a key ring and an MP3 Player for His QLink Legacy. I got a new stainless steel kitchen sink and faucet.....after 27 years of being married, the gifts start to get a bit more practical. :lol: That's okay, I got a Pre-Lit Christmas Tree for my birthday on the 3rd, which is exactly what I had asked for.
"Cinderella is proof that a pair of shoes can change your life"
ellen

Post by ellen »

I got Grip Puppies and a Garmin GPS!
No more blisters on my hands and no more taping mapquest directions to my head set :lol:
Keys

Post by Keys »

...I just tape them to the inside of my face shield... What truck?

Also, I have HEARD of people who played golf, just never met one before.

--Keys 8)
ellen

Post by ellen »

Keys wrote:I have HEARD of people who played golf, just never met one before.
I play golf! Or at least I did until I got my first scooter. 8)
dru_

Post by dru_ »

I don't play golf. I do however take the occasional day to 'walk property', or 'visit perfectly manicured lawns', and of course every now and then I do feel the need to 'partake in the chasing of the little white ball'.

BTW, do you know why it's called Golf?

Because all of the swear words were already taken.

Seriously though. Golf is fun, since even the very best golfers have days when they suck (I just have days when I don't suck as bad as normal). I've been trying to work out a carrier for my clubs for the scooter though :-) It's only 1.25 miles ot the clubhouse....
lobsterman

Post by lobsterman »

I play golf like dru_ although probably not as often. It can be fun if not taken too seriously. I'm thinking it might be cool to use Black Cat scooters instead of golf carts...

With a little creativity you could probably find a (safe) way to transport your clubs on the scooter. After all, in other countries they carry pigs, whole families, 47 bales of hay, etc.

ericalm, I've been waiting for those cars to appear in the US as well... I wanted one for some of the same reasons I ended up buying the scooter. I expect I get more smiles per hour on the scooter than the car would have.

ellen got a GPS! Wish I had one, maybe sometime in 2007.

I suggested my daughter might want to use her Christmas money to help me get the T-Rex for sale in NJ: topic874.html

Strangely, neither she or my wife thought it was funny or a good idea. :shock:
Kevin
AYPWIP?
Keys

Post by Keys »

I don't remember where the picture was, but someone MADE and tried to market a golf-bag carrying scooter. If I recall, the bag went on the front...above the front wheel and strpped into a fiberglass mold designed just for that...

Something to think about.

And of course, the boss came into his office after a round of golf during lunch and tossed a couple of golf balls into the in basket. The secretary, not knowing what they were, asked him.
"Oh, those are golf balls," He replied.
She just looked at them with a sad look on her face before she said, "Poor golf..."

--Keys 8)
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

lobsterman wrote:ericalm, I've been waiting for those cars to appear in the US as well... I wanted one for some of the same reasons I ended up buying the scooter. I expect I get more smiles per hour on the scooter than the car would have.

ellen got a GPS! Wish I had one, maybe sometime in 2007.
Smart Cars are due in US dealerships in 2008. They discontinued the roadster, coupe and 4-door, though. I have seen one of their demo fortwo models in Beverly Hills and I was pretty impressed by it's lack of size.

Okay, just out of curiosity (or ignorance): What's the allure of GPS for a scoot? I rarely travel in places that I am so unfamiliar with that I'd get lost. When I do, Mapquest usually does the trick. Is the appeal more for all the data you get back? Or are you guys much more adventurous than I am? Maybe I should go get lost. Actually sounds like fun...
NarMeowZippy

Post by NarMeowZippy »

ericalm wrote:Scooter Polo! It would have to be played on a "field" the size of a mall parking lot. And we may have to have custom left side throttles for us rightys. But I think it can be done... and Buddy 50s are the perfect rides for it!
Yes, I can see it now. Section of a parking lot, get some crocket raquets and two hockey goals. Hmmm... I'm seeing a Scooter Polo League coming on.
It's Scooter-rific!!!
lobsterman

Post by lobsterman »

What's the allure of GPS for a scoot?
For me, the GPS would be used for geocaching as well as general use, the scooter being only part of it. We also do trips to Northen Vermont to visit my dad, and we sometimes stray from the well known routes for fun and adventure.
Kevin
AYPWIP?
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

I think GPS could be awesome. for one we all know Mapquest can do you wrong. I go out in the field (in the cage this was once drudgery, now a joy) for my job, so it stinks trying to put the printed directions in the front bucket or in my pocket. Also we are adventourous and love going off the beaten path. When we do that we always bring a map, but the gps would keep you from having to pull over so much. I am sure the system is too costly to justify for my uses, but I think even a compass would be nice. ANyone know where to get a dash mounted, weather resistant one? :D
markontour

Post by markontour »

I got a new full face M2R helmet (my 6 year old nephew ran around the house with it). I also got a leather jacket for the cool weather that we get in winter (ya know 60 degrees). :P
gt1000

Post by gt1000 »

Okay, just out of curiosity (or ignorance): What's the allure of GPS for a scoot?
I started thinking seriously about GPS, more for my motorcycle than for my scooter, after playing with the Nav system in my daughter's Acura. I like to ride in the canyons and foothills and it's easy to take a wrong turn and wind up miles from where you want to be. The other thing I really like about GPS is that it minimizes the chance of running out of gas miles from nowhere. But, after giving it lots of thought, I decided against it, at least for now. It just takes up too much space on the bars and costs too much. Also, GPS systems are far from perfect, they make mistakes all the time. If you blindly trust a GPS system you will get screwed at some point.

I really got nothing for my scoot but I did get a couple of nice accessories for the bike. With two heroic snowfalls in one week, it's unlikely I'll be riding anything anytime soon. I might've been able to ride today if it didn't start snowing again. Now it'll be at least another week, if we don't see more snow anytime soon.
Andy

2006 Buddy 125 (orange), going to a good MB home
2009 Vespa 250 GTS (black)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800 (black)
2008 Ducati Hypermotard S, traded for Tiger 800
Babypea

Grips.....

Post by Babypea »

rickyd410 wrote:Alright. I got a pair of the new chrome grips from JC Whitney. The 5 inch ones.

But one of the has a bigger opening that the other. One is like 1" and the other is about 1.375 inches.

Since when does anything you say, have any bearing over what I do?
Babypea

Grips.....

Post by Babypea »

rickyd410 wrote:Alright. I got a pair of the new chrome grips from JC Whitney. The 5 inch ones.

Sorry for the mistake in prior posting :oops:
The grip with the larger opening goes on the right handlebar. The larger opening is to accomodate the throttle mechanism.
Since when does anything you say, have any bearing over what I do?
Elm Creek Smith

Post by Elm Creek Smith »

Late breaking Christmas news!

I just found out one of these is on the way in my size and everything!

http://www.newenough.com/tour_master_sa ... t_page.htm

"Tour Master Saber
Jacket
Three-quarter length 600 Denier Carbolex® shell
Waterproof and breathable Rainguard® barrier protects you from the elements
Removable CE-approved armor at the elbows and shoulders with an articulated triple density back protector
Removable Zip-Out Quilted liner with 100 grams of polyfill insulation
Zippered chest vents combine with sleeve vents and rear exhaust vents for flow-through ventilation
Zippered chest map pocket, hand warmer pockets, flap closure bellows pockets, internal media pocket and dual zippered fanny pack
Adjustable waist belts
Reflective piping
Includes jacket/pant zipper attachment with the pant side included"
Yes, that is my scooter.
Yes, I wear a helmet and a FIRSTGEAR armored jacket.
No, I'm not embarrassed to be seen riding it.
Yes, that is an NRA sticker on the fender.

"I aim to misbehave."
LeopardGirl

Post by LeopardGirl »

I must admit to buying my own Christmas present. I got a Givi 450 topcase. It seems a bit large for the Buddy but I got a scooter for the sensibility factor so I decided that's OK. I showed the case to my Mom and the first thing she said was "You can do all your grocery shopping with this thing". As soon as I take my scoot in for it's first service my outstanding dealer (Cimarron Valley in Stillwater) has agreed to wire the brake light for me. Really great guys there!!
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

I bought myself plenty of scooter X-mess presents this year.

-- Riding jacket, black (a bit baggy for my taste, but $150 less than the Corazzo hoodie, someone buy it for me, okeh? I have been a very good polianarchy)
-- Helmet, red (claustrophobia-inducing)
-- Gloves, red/black (wow, they fit perfetly!)
-- 4'3" lock (let's see dirty Philthadelhians try and bust that one!)
-- Cover (to further thwart theft while parked outside my work)
-- Pink 125cc Genuine Buddy (it was ready to pick up on Dec. 22, but my landlady SUCKS MAJOR A$$ and only gave me the garage key last night, ARGH x 1000!!)
-- Prima Universal Windscreen (cheaper than the Genuine one by $30)
-- Front rack (pretty chrome bling for my things)
-- Trickle charger (for that one week in February that snow is predicted)

I also picked up the two "Proficient Motorcycling" books by Hough (frightening and confusing). And I *STILL* want/need black grips, either a black seat (anyone want to trade for my white one?) or a seat cover, and the ability + stuff to modify the turn signals and brake lights. O, and a Corazzo hoodie. And $3000+ to pay for all this. :roll:
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

polianarchy wrote:I bought myself plenty of scooter X-mess presents this year.

-- Riding jacket, black (a bit baggy for my taste, but $150 less than the Corazzo hoodie, someone buy it for me, okeh? I have been a very good polianarchy)
-- Helmet, red (claustrophobia-inducing)
-- Gloves, red/black (wow, they fit perfetly!)
-- 4'3" lock (let's see dirty Philthadelhians try and bust that one!)
-- Cover (to further thwart theft while parked outside my work)
-- Pink 125cc Genuine Buddy (it was ready to pick up on Dec. 22, but my landlady SUCKS MAJOR A$$ and only gave me the garage key last night, ARGH x 1000!!)
-- Prima Universal Windscreen (cheaper than the Genuine one by $30)
-- Front rack (pretty chrome bling for my things)
-- Trickle charger (for that one week in February that snow is predicted)
Wow, what a haul! You certainly shopped smart. I'd be interested to know your take on the universal windshield. The mirror mounts for these and the big gap over the headlight make me a little wary of how stable they are at speed. But I'm LOVING my windshield's impact on speed, etc.
smorris

Post by smorris »

ericalm wrote:All that stuff about a small windshield improving top speed and so on? It's actually true! :)
That's great to hear, because I got one too. Actually I got cash for one and ordered it from DR. Should be here next week.

I also got a spare tire cover and battery for the SS180, and SS 180 T-shirt with my avatar on it (Glenn Reid's artwork), a set of 6 1/18 scale Vespas, the book "The Scooter Bible", and some Jettin dipsticks for the LX.

Glad to see everyone got cool toys!
Steve - Avon, Ohio
The Morris Garage

2007 Suzuki Burgman 400 ____ 2006 Vespa LX150 ____ 1965 Vespa 180 SS
2002 Subaru WRX Wagon ____ 1958 MGA Roadster
vitaminC

Post by vitaminC »

Not a thing scooter related :(

However, I did get myself a GPS, which eventually will having mounting/power possibities for all my vehicles.

As a sort of b-day present, a friend did let me take her little dual-sport bike for a ride. That was way fun, but may wind up being expensive... :wink: