Buddy impresses Harley rider

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

JNV

Buddy impresses Harley rider

Post by JNV »

While I was parking in a parking lot; a Harley rider comes over to check out the Buddy. He was riding a Harley with alot of work done to it so it looked like he knows what he is talking about when it comes to bikes. Anyway, he tells me he had come across the Buddy on the internet but had not seen one so he wanted to take a good look at mine. He was impressed with the overall construction of the machine and quite impressed with its performance, for a 125cc auto. He was thinking of getting one for putting around town and keep the Harley for long rides.
Anyway it was cool to get the attention and respect of a Harley rider. He actually had nothing negative to say about the machine or scooters in general.
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

That's really cool and all, but remember this - Harley riders are no different than you or me. A Harley is just another motorcycle (common as Starbucks around here) and any one of us could be riding one - it's just a matter of choice. :D Heck, one could be a vegetarian, Greenpeace devotee Walmart greeter and ride a Harley. :D
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
PeterC

Harley rider

Post by PeterC »

" Heck, one could be a vegetarian, Greenpeace devotee Walmart greeter and ride a Harley."

But not likely.
betsy q. bramble

Post by betsy q. bramble »

plus a vegetarian greenpeace devotee would also understand the evils of walmart, most likely :twisted:
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

Coming from the vintage world, It's been my experience that most really hardcore long-time Harley riders simply love vintage scooters, they usually realize the amount of love and work it takes to keep a vintage bike running, and they can appreciate the design and engineering, too. They seem to be a bit more condescending about modern scooters, but still friendly enough.

I've also noticed that the folks that just bought a harley last week and are trying way too hard to look cool aren't very friendly to scooterists.

But of course those are generalizations, like scooterists, Harley riders come from all walks of life. Most of them are pretty cool people.

Bb.
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

betsy q. bramble wrote:plus a vegetarian greenpeace devotee would also understand the evils of walmart, most likely :twisted:
That's very true! :D :roll:
louie

Post by louie »

illnoise wrote:. Most of them are pretty cool people.

Bb.
that's right. i even took one home with me for keeps.

if you like cool mc's you'll appriciate a buddy, period. my mate was so intrigued with mine he ended up buying two scooters. an old lambretta at first, technically it's ours, then he bought a big ruckus for the convenience and ease of use.
8)
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

Yep its the posers that give the Harley guys a bad rap.

I've been looking for a place to get somepaint work done on my GL. My wife's car was in the shop after getting hit by a UHaul truck. I asked if they would do a vintage scooter. They said no...but check next store..the guys there are really nice.

The name of the place next door? "Hogs only custom bikes" I went in..talked with the owner..could have been Paul Srs brother. He took a look, asked about the mods (79 p125x motor kitted to 180cc with sito+ and commented that "that little thing must scream down the road" !He said bring it in in a couple of weeks when his painter is back we would sit down and figure out something cool.

Nice guys..WAY cool bikes on all the lifts, loves the vintage scoots!
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

BuddyRaton wrote:Yep its the posers that give the Harley guys a bad rap.
What about scooter posers!? : )
BuddyRaton wrote:I've been looking for a place to get somepaint work done on my GL…
Ah, good luck! Most places will paint one, then swear they'll never touch another one. They look so cute and easy to paint, but it's a lot of work.

Bb.
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

illnoise wrote:
What about scooter posers!? : )
Yeah...they give us a bad name too!
BuddyRaton wrote:I've been looking for a place to get somepaint work done on my GL…
Ah, good luck! Most places will paint one, then swear they'll never touch another one. They look so cute and easy to paint, but it's a lot of work.

Bb.[/quote]

Well I found the correct front fender...in Denmark. It needs to be media blastedand a coupleof extra holes patched up and I may get away with jut doing the cowls and some touch up on the legshield and body.

If I need to get the whole thing done I'll probably pull the motor...and the tank and...oh you know how it goes!
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
r0sa

Post by r0sa »

i was at walmart tonight and as i parked, these girls came out and busted out laughing and pointing me me, i was like "b!tch!" oh well, i like my scooter
loodieboy

Post by loodieboy »

Happy to say I've never had a real issue with a Harley rider. As for the "posers," I love the following from James McMurtry's song "Hurricane Party"

Some insurance man-biker is yellin' out for one more beer
But a part-time pirate just can't get much respect around here
We got our problems too, man we'll get to you
In just a minute, sit your drunk ass down
Yeah, there's no one to talk to when the lines go down
Clearly.
louie

Post by louie »

loodieboy wrote: Some insurance man-biker is yellin' out for one more beer
But a part-time pirate just can't get much respect around here
We got our problems too, man we'll get to you
In just a minute, sit your drunk ass down
Yeah, there's no one to talk to when the lines go down
i've had that job, late night cocktail waitress.
Drumwoulf

Post by Drumwoulf »

All real motorbike riders and lovers of the sport are usually interested in WHATEVER anyone's riding! Only fools and poseurs think that the machine under a person in any way denotes the quality or merit of that person!
Namaste,
~drummer~

07 Buddy 125
07 Vespa GT200
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

Drumwoulf wrote:All real motorbike riders and lovers of the sport are usually interested in WHATEVER anyone's riding! Only fools and poseurs think that the machine under a person in any way denotes the quality or merit of that person!
Amen! :D
jshill

Harley Rider Impressed

Post by jshill »

What a strange coincidence. I just found out that House of Harley Davidson in Milwaukee is now a Genuine Scooter dealer. I love the sales and service at Midwest Action Cycle, but it will definately be convenient and cool taking my scooter to a Harley dealer for service.

http://www.psnnewsletter.com/newsletter ... 46_30.html
louie

Re: Harley Rider Impressed

Post by louie »

jshill wrote:What a strange coincidence. I just found out that House of Harley Davidson in Milwaukee is now a Genuine Scooter dealer. I love the sales and service at Midwest Action Cycle, but it will definately be convenient and cool taking my scooter to a Harley dealer for service.

i hope i don't contradict myself by saying this but make sure the service department wants to work on it before using them. not that the service wouldn't be provided but i didn't like my scooter being worked on by what i saw as a reluctant service department, the buddy was the ugly little sister of the cool stella, that's how i percieved it (and how a friend/salesperson there suggested).
i bought my scooter at borgart's who sell bmw, triumph, ducati, ktm and vespa. they quit selling genuine not long after the stella was discontinued, thus quit servicing my scooter. a year later majic city motor scooters opened. it is owned and operated by a scooter machanic and enthusist and i feel a lot better about taking the buddy there.
olhogrider

Post by olhogrider »

I know this guy who rode Harleys for over 20 years. Then one day he got a scooter for "around town". The Harley sat in the garage for most of the year so he sold it. Now he has 3 scooters in the garage!

Oh yeah, that was me. :wink:
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

jshill wrote:What a strange coincidence. I just found out that House of Harley Davidson in Milwaukee is now a Genuine Scooter dealer. I love the sales and service at Midwest Action Cycle, but it will definately be convenient and cool taking my scooter to a Harley dealer for service.

Some of the top Harley dealers in the country are in the process of becoming Harley dealers [EDIT: I mean Genuine dealers, of course]. The Blackjack is intended, in part, to appeal to the Harley crowd. From what I've heard, the dealers are very enthusiastic about the scooters are are going to definitely give them a lot of play in properly back and sell the Genuines. This would be a far cry from the treatment scooters get at a lot of Honda and Yamaha dealers, where they're focused on selling motorcycles with much higher profits. I think the Harley dealers are hoping to sell some buyers a motorcycle AND a scooter.
Last edited by ericalm on Sat Oct 25, 2008 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
ScooterDave
Most Likely to Spontaneously Combust

Post by ScooterDave »

ericalm wrote:Some of the top Harley dealers in the country are in the process of becoming Harley dealers.
I know of a Vespa dealer that is about to become a Vespa dealer. He is anxious to become a Vespa dealer because he has only been a Vespa dealer for about 3 years.

Dave
adam

buddy impresses harley rider

Post by adam »

Retarded?
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

ScooterDave wrote:
ericalm wrote:Some of the top Harley dealers in the country are in the process of becoming Harley dealers.
I know of a Vespa dealer that is about to become a Vespa dealer. He is anxious to become a Vespa dealer because he has only been a Vespa dealer for about 3 years.
Okay, I corrected it. Thanks for keeping me honest, smart ass.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Neducati

Post by Neducati »

Seems like a lot of Harley dealerships are adding Genuine Scooters to their product mix. Vreeland's Harley-Davidson in Bloomsburg, PA is also a Genuine dealer. Here is a photo of my girlfriend with the dealer's owner after a 10-mile test ride on Buddy 125s.

adam

buddy impresses harley rider

Post by adam »

The "retarded" wasn't directed at one person, just the idea of these posts.
betsy q. bramble

Post by betsy q. bramble »

I read an article linked from the Genuine site in which Phil specifically states that more Harley dealers were going to be taking on the line. Perhaps it is a master plan.
ericalm
Site Admin

Re: buddy impresses harley rider

Post by ericalm »

adam wrote:The "retarded" wasn't directed at one person, just the idea of these posts.
Oh. Well. Good to know. I was ignoring it.

What's retarded about these posts?