Two questions from newer Buddy Owner

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Gin

Two questions from newer Buddy Owner

Post by Gin »

My Buddy St. Tropez is approaching the 200 mile mark on the odometer. I know I need to change the engine and gearcase oil. And then it will need another more extensive service at around 600 miles. I've seen some posts suggesting that the first service must be done by the dealer to keep the warranty in effect. The dealer told me that's not true and I can change the oil myself. (Actually, I think there may be a federal antitrust law that prohibits such terms in warranties, but I'm not sure). Anyway, that's my first question: Do I have to have that 200 mile oil change performed by the dealer?

Second question: How soft should the front end shock be? I weigh about 150 lbs. Sitting at a standstill, if I lean forward or pounce down a bit on the handlebars, the suspension compresses maybe an inch or so, and stays there unless I shift my weight backwards. Very different than a newish Vespa that I also ride a lot. I can't get any similar compression on the Vespa, and what little I get instantly springs back. But I know there are big differences in the two scoots, and certainly there are in their suspension components. So my second question really is: Is my Buddy's front shock normal for a Buddy?
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

Check this thread out for service intervals. There is definitely conflicting info among Genuine/dealers as well as long-time scooter vetrans. I did my first service at 500 miles... and I didn't do an oil change before then. It seems many here on the board wait longer than 200 miles. My dealer wanted me to wait until 1000.

As far as the warranty thing, you are right, it's not likely Genuine can enforce the "must do first service at a dealer" rule, but you really do want to have the first service done at a dealer (which is sounds like you are planning on doing- I know you're only asking about the oil change). So, my advice would be to wait and do it all at 500-600 miles. Unfortunately, I'm not sure what to tell you about doing the first oil yourself but the first service at a dealer. Remember though, the dealer plays a large part in whether a warranty claim is honored so it stands to reason that if you go by their recommendations, you would be ok.

Be aware that oil filter tightening can be a bit of a pain on the Buddy (a few cases of a filter backing off and ruining the engine) so that's another one for the side of "do it all at the dealer."

As for the shock, it's definitely normal for it to be easily compressed. I weigh the same as you and can squish it down pretty hard. I even asked my dealer about this as well. I'm not sure what you mean by it staying there- do you mean if you keep the pressure on? That would seem normal. If you let pressure up but it stays, that would seem wrong.

Hope that helps! Welcome to MB and enjoy your scooter!!
spinbud

new owner

Post by spinbud »

Gin,
I changed the gear and engine oil myself at 200 and made sure I got mine into the dealer for the first service before the specified time on the warranty certificate. My first service was free so didn't see the harm. At 2300 miles my buddy has been flawless mechanically...and maintained meticulously.
The front shock is weak on the buddies, this site is full of such verification. Bottoms out easily. Yours sounds softer than usual and can be tightened up a bit. Have it seen to at your 500 mile service.
The Buddy 125 is an amazing piece of engineering and should serve you well. Maybe you should upgrade your lamps and put a $20.00 additional brake light on it. Enjoy...and don't let your guard down.
Gin

Post by Gin »

Helpful responses. Regarding the filter:
Be aware that oil filter tightening can be a bit of a pain on the Buddy (a few cases of a filter backing off and ruining the engine)
I did read about some of those cases, and they have my attention, for sure. I still may do a 200 mile break in oil change (just makes sense to me - sure can't hurt to get a fresh coat of oil in there). If I do, I will use a torque wrench to tighten the filter. But it's helpful to hear that the 200 mile change described in the manual is not an absolute must.

I am in fact planning on going to the dealer for the first major service. So yes, whether I can do that one on my own, without voiding the warranty, is on the academic side. But I was curious in what advice all of you would give me. One of the joys of owing a scooter is that it gives me a chance to return to my days of doing most of the work on my car myself. With today's cars, I don't even try (except for some of the oil changes).

As for the shock . . .
I'm not sure what you mean by it staying there- do you mean if you keep the pressure on? That would seem normal. If you let pressure up but it stays, that would seem wrong.
Sounds like mine's behaving normally. If I let up the pressure, it springs back. I had searched around and gotten the impression that the Buddy suspension is pretty soft, but I hadn't been able to find anything describing the compression behavior I experience. Glad to know it's what all the Buddys do.

I appreciate the responses. Thanks.
slurugger

Post by slurugger »

So I called my local Genuine dealer and basically they said they don't look at the valves on first service. They seemed to be clueless. I guess I will try the other dealer in the area. Everyone agrees valves need to be checked at first service? My 2008 Buddy 125 has about 300 miles on her. Trying to plan the first service, around the 500 mile mark.
Thanks
olhogrider

Post by olhogrider »

I bought mine from Pride of Cleveland. The mech said just change the oil a couple of times before you get home (to San Francisco). I did the valve adjustment when I got home almost 3000 miles later. Search for the pix on how I did the adjustment. It is easy and fun getting to know your Buddy better.