Cold Weather Scooter Warriors

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Kaos

Cold Weather Scooter Warriors

Post by Kaos »

Man, today must be "Ride your scooter in the wicked cold weather just to prove how cool scooterists are" day.
I saw no less than 12 scooters on my commute this morning, and only 1 motorcycle. It was crazy. That is the most I've seen on one commute even in the middle of summer! Way to go scooter crowd!
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

I got several looks and laughs when people saw me riding late last night, it was cold, but I wasnt cold at all while riding, just my fingers, I still have my summer gloves with mesh material to stay cool, I should get winter gloves.
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

jfrost2 wrote:I got several looks and laughs when people saw me riding late last night, it was cold, but I wasnt cold at all while riding, just my fingers, I still have my summer gloves with mesh material to stay cool, I should get winter gloves.
Yeah, even with my winter gloves, my fingertips have bit a bit frosty. I'm thinking about finding glove liners, or just wearing another set of knit gloves under my leather ones.
mayra

Post by mayra »

i've been riding in the cold--not sure exactly how cold as i haven't checked the weather recently but my commute is only 7 minutes, so i get too cold (usually just my fingers) right when i get to work :D
broke

Post by broke »

Luckily there is a donut shop mid-commute for me! :D

It was 32 at my house when I left this morning... very dry though! That was nice.
reenie

Post by reenie »

Ski pants -gloves -leather jacket & fleece! During a 30 minute commute I passed a sign that said 36 degrees. I grinned the whole way!
standup

Post by standup »

What works for me is a Ramones-style MC jacket, fleece underneath, fleece neck gaiter in 30s-ish weather.

The gloves are still under scrutiny. This AM I found one of my two silk glove liners, and the hand with the liner was not much better off than without under 'midweight' leather MC gloves.

I've got a pair of ski gloves ordered from REI on clearance (http://www.rei.com/outlet/product/775496) that have a shell and a liner, we'll see how that goes.

I think my legs will just be cold, but it seems like the torso will be OK. This is my first winter on scooter, I'm playing "how low can I go".
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

broke wrote:Luckily there is a donut shop mid-commute for me! :D

It was 32 at my house when I left this morning... very dry though! That was nice.
Yeah, it was 30 at my house this morning.... It was actually a whole lot warmer than the fog we had yesterday.
newslinky

Post by newslinky »

Kaos wrote:
jfrost2 wrote:I got several looks and laughs when people saw me riding late last night, it was cold, but I wasnt cold at all while riding, just my fingers, I still have my summer gloves with mesh material to stay cool, I should get winter gloves.
Yeah, even with my winter gloves, my fingertips have bit a bit frosty. I'm thinking about finding glove liners, or just wearing another set of knit gloves under my leather ones.
I highly recommend these in addition to your winter gloves. They keep the wind from hitting your hands directly thus allowing your winter gloves to be much more effective keeping your hands warm. They are also very easy to slip on and off for when you do not want to use them.
Last edited by newslinky on Sat Oct 25, 2008 6:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Proud owner of a Buddy St. Tropez 150
broke

Post by broke »

newslinky wrote:I highly recommend these in addition to your winter gloves.
(I got rid of the extra "url" at the end of your url in my quote so this link should work)

Hey newslinky, any chance you could take a photo of those off the bike? I know how to run my wife's sewing machine just enough to probably take a stab at something like that... but I was curious if they have any fancy-pants way of staying secured?

When you take your hand out to give someone a cool scooter wave while riding do the openings shut and make it hard to work your hand in to find the grip again?

Do you ever feel unsafe using them?

I was almost ready to spend a bunch of money on better gloves, but I'll bet these covers would work better. I'm willing to buy some waterproof fabric and try to make a set and if it doesn't work I'm not out much...

I wonder if mini fairings could be easily fabricated to shield the grips and tops of your hands without needing to be integrated into the windshield...
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

newslinky wrote:
Kaos wrote:
I highly recommend these in addition to your winter gloves. They keep the wind from hitting your hands directly thus allowing your winter gloves to be much more effective keeping your hands warm. They are also very easy to slip on and off for when you do not want to use them.
Hmm, hadn't thought of using those, actually. I'll have to get a set.
BuddyLove

Post by BuddyLove »

I have those scooterworks gloves as well and they are fantastic! I have not felt unsafe with them, they do not close up so you can wave to your hearts content and still get in there to the controls. Not to mention they are awesome conversation starters. :)
donkin

Post by donkin »

How do they attach?

Thanks,

-Don
Member 2166
r0sa

Post by r0sa »

the sun was just setting and i was riding home from school, FREEZING! geez, it was cold
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

Hrmm... while we're in a creative mood at our house, maybe we'll take some of the leftover marine vinyl and make something similar to those. Of course, it'd match the seat (the original purpose of the vinyl) and we could use some of the leftover batting from the lap blanket to line them... It's getting to be WAY to "matchy" on my Buddy lately...

My helmet has green parts in the design and the Armadillo Parka is pretty much dead on with the Italia colors. I guess I'll have to post a pic of all this matchy nonsense once we make some of those hand pockets.

And all this time I was trying to avoid looking like my scooter. With the Blur out of commission, I accidentally ended up becoming one with the Buddy. I'm not sure how I feel about that...
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

I'm not trying to rub it in or anything, but at 9PM when I was riding home from work tonight, it was 75 degrees out. I was starting to sweat by the time I got home. It's almost 10 PM now and it's still about 74 degrees. I'm thinking about taking a ride out to a local coffee/desert cafe right about now - they don't close until 1 AM. :P
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
siobhan

Post by siobhan »

Lostmycage wrote:...
My helmet has green parts in the design and the Armadillo Parka is pretty much dead on with the Italia colors. I guess I'll have to post a pic of all this matchy nonsense once we make some of those hand pockets.
Hey Lostmycage,

You have the Armadillo Parka? If so, can you post a few comments about it? I'm thinking of getting one for the b/f for Christmas, but it's a lot of money for never having seen it/touched it in person. Can you let me know how you like it, fit, etc. He's inbetween the sizes and I'm hoping the large won't be too loose. Thanks in advance!
7eregrine

Post by 7eregrine »

I had been saying I would ride in the cold, But I am thinking 45 is my limit. Been driving this week... :oops:
I will not join a racist club that thinks one color is better then another. We are ALL BUDDY'S!
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

Cold Weather Challenge O8-09 is coming soon, stay tuned! : )
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
kilted texan

Post by kilted texan »

It was 40 this morning in Fort Worth. I had on a thermal, Vanson Vent Max, my rain jacket, Triumph vented gloves, Stryker ski gloves, Colorado Dry Gator and I was still cold. :cry:

Time to get winter gear...why didn't I think of this when it was still warm.
I brew... therefore I am.

Smoked Porter - Drinking
Peach Smoked Brown Ale - Drinking
Maibock - Lagering
British Mild - Carbonating
Oatmeal Stout - Aging in Whiskey barrel 3 weeks left
KCScooterDude

Post by KCScooterDude »

38 degrees when I left my house in Kansas City to commute downtown to a freelance gig. 30 minutes. Feldsheer mesh jacket with rain liner over Tommy Bahama sweater. Jeans. Thermal socks with l.l. bean boots. ff helmet.

Leather gloves got cold after 15 minutes. Winter riding gloves will be the next purchase. Balaclava a must.

Other than that, not bad. It did start raining on my ride home two hours later (about 45 degrees). That got a little cold.

Our coldest month, January, the average daily temp is 26 with an average daily high of 34. I'm looking at a Feldsheer Adventure jacket for cold weather. Anyone have an experience with one of these?
DennisD

Post by DennisD »

KCScooterDude wrote:38 degrees when I left my house in Kansas City to commute downtown to a freelance gig. 30 minutes. Feldsheer mesh jacket with rain liner over Tommy Bahama sweater. Jeans. Thermal socks with l.l. bean boots. ff helmet.

Leather gloves got cold after 15 minutes. Winter riding gloves will be the next purchase. Balaclava a must.

Other than that, not bad. It did start raining on my ride home two hours later (about 45 degrees). That got a little cold.

Our coldest month, January, the average daily temp is 26 with an average daily high of 34. I'm looking at a Feldsheer Adventure jacket for cold weather. Anyone have an experience with one of these?
This is an updated model of my Fieldsheer 3/4 jacket. It is waterproof, windproof and warm, warm, warm. I only wear it 3 or 4 times a year here in northwest Florida when the temp drops down into the twentys or thirtys for a couple of days or so in January and February. Same for the booster pants that go with it. You have to get used to putting all this stuff on and its not the lightest in the world, but it is the difference in riding or not riding in those temps.
newslinky

Post by newslinky »

broke wrote:
newslinky wrote:I highly recommend these in addition to your winter gloves.
(I got rid of the extra "url" at the end of your url in my quote so this link should work)

Hey newslinky, any chance you could take a photo of those off the bike? I know how to run my wife's sewing machine just enough to probably take a stab at something like that... but I was curious if they have any fancy-pants way of staying secured?

When you take your hand out to give someone a cool scooter wave while riding do the openings shut and make it hard to work your hand in to find the grip again?

Do you ever feel unsafe using them?

I was almost ready to spend a bunch of money on better gloves, but I'll bet these covers would work better. I'm willing to buy some waterproof fabric and try to make a set and if it doesn't work I'm not out much...

I wonder if mini fairings could be easily fabricated to shield the grips and tops of your hands without needing to be integrated into the windshield...
Pictures

Sorry for the delay in response life is a bit busy for me right now. In answer to your questions the openings are edged in a stiff edging that keeps them open and easy to put my hands back in. Even when wearing my bulky winter gauntlets I have very little trouble getting my hands back on the handlebars after removing them to wave.(Ok I must point out that I only ever remove one hand to wave at any time :P )
I have not felt unsafe riding with them at all. The link provided above has some pics of the muffs hopefully that will help.
Proud owner of a Buddy St. Tropez 150
broke

Post by broke »

newslinky wrote:Sorry for the delay in response life is a bit busy for me right now.
Hopefully it's a good busy! Thanks very much for taking the photos for me. I really appreciate it.
kneil67@yahoo.com

Post by kneil67@yahoo.com »

28 this morning Manchvegas NH bundled up stayed moderatly cool
Eddy Merckx

Post by Eddy Merckx »

rode into work the other day, it was around 35 degrees, noticeably colder at 40 mph, remember cold weather riders, bundle up and do what you gotta do to stop the wind from going through your clothing.
"Social graces, got any"
Twentyfourskys

Post by Twentyfourskys »

If there is no ice on the road I am riding
OScoot!

Post by OScoot! »

newslinky wrote: Hey newslinky, any chance you could take a photo of those off the bike? I know how to run my wife's sewing machine just enough to probably take a stab at something like that... but I was curious if they have any fancy-pants way of staying secured?
Here ya go. These would be super easy to make with just some left over fuzzy backed vinyl. They tie on with elastic bands. I tie them to the rear view mirrors. Work great. It's really nothing more than a huge oven mitt with a couple of holes notched in the side where the handle grips and the brake levers fit through. (See where I place a pen and a marker to show where they fit through.)

You could probably make 'em for a couple of bucks. Dimensions: about 8 inches wide and 10.5 inches long. The thumb panel is about 2.5 inches wide.
PeterC

Cold weather

Post by PeterC »

Several years ago, I bought silk long underwear tops and bottoms from Cabela's. I've worn them on several hunting trips and innumerable cold weather scooter rides, and I've never been uncomfortable. Best part is, if the weather warms up, you don't get overheated, like with conventional thermal underwear.
broke

Post by broke »

OScoot! wrote:Here ya go.
Excellent as well! Thanks for the help. I'll post pictures of my homemade ones a little later.
ringdoc

Post by ringdoc »

good thread, looking for ideas on keep on riding during the colder months in kc. not liking the cold rain, at night. any ideas on keeping my face shield from fogging up??
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

ringdoc wrote:good thread, looking for ideas on keep on riding during the colder months in kc. not liking the cold rain, at night. any ideas on keeping my face shield from fogging up??
"Rain-X" or I've heard ordinary dish washing soap also works. Rub the the dish soap straight onto the shield then wipe it off.
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

babblefish wrote:
ringdoc wrote:good thread, looking for ideas on keep on riding during the colder months in kc. not liking the cold rain, at night. any ideas on keeping my face shield from fogging up??
"Rain-X" or I've heard ordinary dish washing soap also works. Rub the the dish soap straight onto the shield then wipe it off.
Dish soap DOES work, but doesn't last long. I have to soap my visor every other day to keep it from fogging.
betsy q. bramble

Re: Cold weather

Post by betsy q. bramble »

PeterC wrote:Several years ago, I bought silk long underwear tops and bottoms from Cabela's. I've worn them on several hunting trips and innumerable cold weather scooter rides, and I've never been uncomfortable. Best part is, if the weather warms up, you don't get overheated, like with conventional thermal underwear.
YES yes yes - I have the silk long underwear, too...and I cannot possibly imagine riding in this weather without them.
And during the day at work, they are totally unobtrusive, being so thin.
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

whenever I ride in REALLY bad weather -extreme cold, driving rain, sleet, etc. I sometimes get the look from people in cars that I am one of the following: having a mental illness, am very poor, or not very smart.
I am a bit of all of these things, but not so much I cannot function. The people on the bus give me the "you go girl" look though. So I like them.
broke

Post by broke »

peabody99 wrote:I am a bit of all of these things...
:lol: ME TOO! I think that is a pre-requisite for owning a scoot!
ringdoc

Post by ringdoc »

I am trying the dish soap and see how it goes tommorow, probably gonna be in the 30;s tomorrow, rain-x said no plastics
Scooter Hoot

Post by Scooter Hoot »

I will admit - for years I was one of those people who silently pitied the motorcycle and scooter drivers on cold and/or wet days while inside my car. Now that I have my scooter, I've come to discover, even a cold and wet day on 2 wheels is better than any day in the car. Thank god for living in the South though. I'm not sure I could handle sub freezing temps - I still need to get a good pair of pants and gloves that cut the wind.
lobsterman

Post by lobsterman »

40 degrees here this morning and coldest ride to work so far this season, though not nearly as cold as it will be. I have ridden the last two winters and intend to do so again this year.

Today I tried something different. Instead of using my textile winter armored jacket, which I don't really like much, I borrowed an idea from SteMer and put my regular use winter coat over my trusty mesh armored jacket. It's a Lands End Squall ( http://www.landsend.com/pp/ClassicSqual ... igin=index ), and it was excellent. It had plenty of room for my mesh jacket underneath and kept me warm and cozy without being restrictive. It also has a zip up collar that reaches my chin and combined with the windshield was more than sufficient for now. I have a turtle fur neck thingy that I use when it's really really cold but I didn't need it today.

I also wear an extra layer on the legs, I use thermals designed for athletes. They work well under the mandatory "business casual" pants, and I take the thermals off when I get to the office.

One thing I would consider this year is the hand muffs shown above. I use silk liners in the winter riding gloves, but that doesn't seem to keep my fingertips really warm when it's below freezing.
Kevin
AYPWIP?
Rob

Post by Rob »

I did my coldest ride to date this morning to work. Low 40's when I took off. I just took the layered approach. I wore a fleece pullover, then a windshear sweater, light jacket on top ... long underwear with windshear pants on the bottom ... gore tex/thinsulate gloves and I was actually too warm by the time I got to work.

Anywhere from snow flurries to 2" of snow is predicted for tonight, so this will likely be my last ride for a bit.

Rob
skotot

Post by skotot »

Rode home from lab today... in flurries. Khakis, the insulating jacket to a larger coat, a scarf wrapped around my neck [and laying underneath my zipped up coat], helmet, and tipless skeleton gloves. Pretty chilly!
broke

Post by broke »

AND THEN THERE ARE DAYS LIKE TODAY! :D

70 degrees... beautiful skies... I work on a little campus and found lots of reasons to ride between buildings today 8) Just needed to touch base with some different people... keep up to date on happenings...

Oh, and during lunch I really needed some food from Safeway... in Lake Oswego. Today was a good day :D
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

broke wrote:AND THEN THERE ARE DAYS LIKE TODAY! :D

70 degrees... beautiful skies... I work on a little campus and found lots of reasons to ride between buildings today 8) Just needed to touch base with some different people... keep up to date on happenings...

Oh, and during lunch I really needed some food from Safeway... in Lake Oswego. Today was a good day :D
Heh, thats awesome. I did the same thing. I needed to go from my office to Sylvan, so I took Canyon to downtown and back up on the oposite side of Sylvan just to rack up a few more miles in the sun :)
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

ringdoc wrote:I am trying the dish soap and see how it goes tommorow, probably gonna be in the 30;s tomorrow, rain-x said no plastics
Actually, Rain-X says "not for plastics unless pre-approved by manufacturer of plastic to be treated". Since I don't know if my visor is pre-approved or not, I wiped some on anyway. Didn't seem to hurt anything and it's suppose to rain within the next few days, so I guess I'm going to find out if it works or not. :D
squash1978

Post by squash1978 »

According to AccuWeather the temp was 28 F when I left the house this morning. I just got a Tourmaster Transition II last week and that thing has been a champ so far! I was quite warm even at 45-50 MPH. My finger tips got a little cold by the end of my ride but I'm wearing some really old, thin winter gloves. However, I should be receiving a pair of Tourmaster Polar-Tex gloves today... I can't wait to try them out!
Xena

Post by Xena »

When I left this morning it was 32 degrees...the only part of me that was cold was my fingertips...this thread has been quite helpful in ideas though...

I just got back from England and damn if they don't ride in rain, snow, wind, cold etc...nothing stops them...I was way impressed and inspired...
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

Xena wrote:When I left this morning it was 32 degrees...the only part of me that was cold was my fingertips...this thread has been quite helpful in ideas though...

I just got back from England and damn if they don't ride in rain, snow, wind, cold etc...nothing stops them...I was way impressed and inspired...
That's quite normal in most other parts of the world where scooters are a way of life (think "appliance") and not so much just a fad because of high gas prices.
Apiarist

Post by Apiarist »

i recently got a firstgear thermo 1 piece. the promo code you can get from ericalm (re:the above sticky) from motorcycle-superstore and that there was no charge for shipping made it a sweet deal. it is very bulky to wear to like a cafe or grocer, but when i go to work i am warm and waterproof. a 'break the wind' brand balaclava and winter riding gloves keep me warm, warm, warm.
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

I just bought a pair of waterproof, windproof and insulated ski pants that have full length zippers on both pant legs with a flap to cover the zippers and elastic around the ankles. They're great and fit perfectly over my regular pants...even my cheekless leathers...now there's a visual for y'all! Best of all, they were on sale for $35. :D
My lined and waterproof mesh jacket is warm enough so I'm ok there.
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

I need some solid glove reviews, suggestions. I started off with Redline Leather Gauntlets, which were horrible in every way. I now have Corazzo Winter Gauntlets, which although better, don't do it for my fingertips. This is turning out to be a very expensive experiment. I'm looking for some solidly made gloves with wind and waterproofing and minimal pillowing.

Suggestions please?

ALSO: Babblefish, mind sharing your ski-pants source? That's an incredible deal, from the sounds of it. My homemade lap blanket does really well, but I like having options, hehe.

And Apiarist, do those gloves keep the bees out as well? (What brand/model are you trying?)
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.