Cold Weather Scooter Warriors

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

KABarash

Post by KABarash »

polianarchy wrote:
Kaos wrote:Yeah, I need to come up with something else. Now that its consitantly in the low 30's to high 20's in the mornings, my Firstgear gloves(even with gloveliners) arn't keeping my fingers warm enough.
I'm having this problem, too. Combine that with the fact that I have small hands (wearing size S or XS), and all the insulation interferes with my grip. I think my uncomfort stems more from wind chill than actual temperature, but what to do? Should I use rubber gloves as additional glove liners or purchase some of those hand covers?
You may be defeating the purpose of insulation when putting liners in your other gloves, it is air space that helps keep you warm, don't wear anything tight. Same goes with jackets as well. I frequently will wear latex coated gardening gloves over wool or even cotton gloves, wind is the issue, works well for me enhances grip as well.
betsy q. bramble

Post by betsy q. bramble »

A customer at my shop has sons who race motocross and he says when it gets very cold, they throw latex gloves on under whatever other gloves they wear and that it does work. Haven't tried it myself.

My car broke down a week or 2 ago so I've been riding more often. It's usually below 30 lately, both to and from work. I am typically a big baby when it comes to cold, despite being born and raised in New England. I didn't think I'd be tough enough to be riding in December, but apparently I am, so good for me!

Yesterday I had the added challenge of riding my girlfriend's scooter in to put it in winter storage...the thing did not want to idle. It just wanted to hibernate. So I basically attempted to ride the 13 miles in without ever really coming to a complete stop. Wahoo!
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

betsy q. bramble wrote: Yesterday I had the added challenge of riding my girlfriend's scooter in to put it in winter storage...the thing did not want to idle. It just wanted to hibernate. So I basically attempted to ride the 13 miles in without ever really coming to a complete stop. Wahoo!
Yeah, I've had some problems getting my Buddy to idle when I first start it on really cold mornings. Like the 29 degrees it is right now. Well off to the office!
lobsterman

Post by lobsterman »

18 degrees here this morning in Cincinnati.

My wife offered to drive me to work, and I accepted.

I have ridden at this temperature, but I didn't want to deny my wife the opportunity to do something nice for me.

I know, I wimped out.
Kevin
AYPWIP?
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

So I did some experimentation on my commute this morning. I started out wearing glove liners under my Firstgear gloves.Then I moved to the gloves by them selves, after that I tried the Latex gloves under my Firstgears.
The results?

It appears that the comment that I may be defeating the idea of insulation with the glove liners was correct. This was by far the coldest.

The gloves by themselves were slightly warmer.

The latex gloves won out. It wasn't hugely warmer, but it was a noticeable difference. It may have actually been quite a bit warmer, but by this point my hands were big numb balls of ice, so its hard to tell. I'll likely try the latex gloves again on my ride home.
sunshinen

Post by sunshinen »

betsy q. bramble wrote:I didn't think I'd be tough enough to be riding in December, but apparently I am, so good for me!
Always good to find these things out. :D
betsy q. bramble wrote:Yesterday I had the added challenge of riding my girlfriend's scooter in to put it in winter storage...the thing did not want to idle. It just wanted to hibernate. So I basically attempted to ride the 13 miles in without ever really coming to a complete stop. Wahoo!
The most miserable ride I have ever had was where I was delivering a scooter to someone in freezing temps ... at rush hour. I think it took about an hour to get there because I kept stalling at every other freaking red light. I would manage to keep it going while the light was red only to have it die right as I started to go. Miserable. Completely miserable.
sunshinen

Post by sunshinen »

lobsterman wrote:18 degrees here this morning in Cincinnati.

I have ridden at this temperature, but I didn't want to deny my wife the opportunity to do something nice for me.

I know, I wimped out.
Sub-20 is where it gets really hardcore, imho. Without my heated gloves, I wouldn't want to ride in that either — at least, not for any length of time, and without hot cocoa or mulled wine at the end. :D I love my gloves. (I think I've mentioned that. :D)

I am finding that now that I live within 3 miles of work, temps aren't nearly as big a deal as they were when I lived 7 miles away. It's nice. I don't even plug in my gloves. :shock: And now that I'm (a week away from being) done with my masters, I won't be riding for 20 minutes at 10:30-11 p.m. to get home from school. I'll have nothing left to test my mettle!
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

sunshinen wrote:
lobsterman wrote:18 degrees here this morning in Cincinnati.

I know, I wimped out.
Sub-20 is where it gets really hardcore, imho. Without my heated gloves, I wouldn't want to ride in that either — at least, not for any length of time, and without hot cocoa or mulled wine at the end. :D I love my gloves. (I think I've mentioned that. :D)

I am finding that now that I live within 3 miles of work, temps aren't nearly as big a deal as they were when I lived 7 miles away. It's nice. I don't even plug in my gloves. :shock: And now that I'm (a week away from being) done with my masters, I won't be riding for 20 minutes at 10:30-11 p.m. to get home from school. I'll have nothing left to test my mettle!
Yeah, I'm finding that as it creeps into the mid 20's, its getting quite hard to keep my hands warm. Couple that with a 25 mile each way commute, and I'm starting to contemplate 4 wheels again.

I'd hate to disappoint the one person in the office who picked "Will make it all winter" in the office pool for when I'll stop riding.
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

Kaos, I'm really surprised! Last year, I went and got some silky liners, and I *thought* they helped keep me warm. But really, winter skipped us, so I wasn't able to do much testing. I'm definitely curious about the vinyl gloves (I'm allergic to latex). Thanks, and keep us posted!
ModBud #442
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

polianarchy wrote:Kaos, I'm really surprised! Last year, I went and got some silky liners, and I *thought* they helped keep me warm. But really, winter skipped us, so I wasn't able to do much testing. I'm definitely curious about the vinyl gloves (I'm allergic to latex). Thanks, and keep us posted!
I'll toss out there that these were NOT high quality glove liners. They cost me all of about $2 off eBay.
pugbuddy

Post by pugbuddy »

High of 24 today. I took the cage because we has sleet and freezing rain last night. Sure enough, large patches of very slick ice all around my workplace! Glad I had four wheels instead of two for it. I would've pancaked for sure.... :cry:
Robert Wayne Henderson (May 16, 1932 - July 28, 2009).
broke

Post by broke »

pugbuddy wrote:High of 24 today. I took the cage because we has sleet and freezing rain last night. Sure enough, large patches of very slick ice all around my workplace! Glad I had four wheels instead of two for it. I would've pancaked for sure.... :cry:
At least 2" of solid ice on the roads around here... and it doesn't look like it is going to melt for a week or more! crazy!

HOPEFULLY Kaos is not attempting his scooter commuting this week! I know I am not.
sunshinen

Post by sunshinen »

Kaos wrote:
Yeah, I'm finding that as it creeps into the mid 20's, its getting quite hard to keep my hands warm. Couple that with a 25 mile each way commute, and I'm starting to contemplate 4 wheels again.

I'd hate to disappoint the one person in the office who picked "Will make it all winter" in the office pool for when I'll stop riding.
Time to hint to Santa. If anyone knows about long winter journeys and not disappointing the believers, it's Santa. :D
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

broke wrote:
pugbuddy wrote:High of 24 today. I took the cage because we has sleet and freezing rain last night. Sure enough, large patches of very slick ice all around my workplace! Glad I had four wheels instead of two for it. I would've pancaked for sure.... :cry:
At least 2" of solid ice on the roads around here... and it doesn't look like it is going to melt for a week or more! crazy!

HOPEFULLY Kaos is not attempting his scooter commuting this week! I know I am not.
Yeah, its grounded me. I'm at the top of a VERY steep hill. Luckily I can telecommute, as none of my cars are good in the snow either. You don't drive a 1937 Ford Pickup on ice ;)

EDIT: Though its going to be hard to make it anywhere in the cold weather challenge on 2strokebuzz with all this ice.
Skyhack1

Post by Skyhack1 »

Just got back from work this morning. Realized i forgot to stop at the only temp display on the way home when i got to my house. Thought for about .000004 secs about going back. nahhh too cold after a 5 mile ride. Weather.com says 22F. want to try for lower tonite but threat of precip says four wheels. :( will try later in the winter.

On another note. had scoot parked outside for a month w/ no riding or startup in the cold. Took a bit of coxing but started up w/ the battery. Hopefully wont have to put in on a charger. After all riding is the best charging system. :D
hi2525

Post by hi2525 »

I got some gloves from Metro Scooter that are really do the job. Rode some 30 miles in 35 to 38 weather with 15ish being in the rain. Worked really wear.
Eddy Merckx

Post by Eddy Merckx »

I purchased a pair of hand grip / brake lever covers, and they work really well, the dead air space or the lack of wind directly hitting my hands has made a big difference, my hands get cool but not frozen, I use thickish glove liners, instead of oversized winter gloves it makes it easier to operate switches, and brake levers, it was 11 degrees out when I got up a few days back, and it made for great "entertainment" on the morning commute.

You guys and gals are the hard core scoot riders, more power to you !!
"Social graces, got any"
broke

Post by broke »

I went out on the scooter this afternoon for the first time in almost a week! It felt good! I bought beer, egg nog, donuts, and soda. I'm set for the next storm now!
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

broke wrote:I went out on the scooter this afternoon for the first time in almost a week! It felt good! I bought beer, egg nog, donuts, and soda. I'm set for the next storm now!
Curse you! I'm still a bit too much snowed in. If I wanted to walk the scooter 1/2 mile down hill, the roads are clear and I could ride.... I'm SOOOO tempted too, as I'm suffering major scooter withdrawl.
Alex P

Cold, ok. Rain, and cold, not so much

Post by Alex P »

I'm a scooter only commuter right now. Work is about three miles, my girlfriend is closer to five miles away, and it got into the twenties a few weeks ago, but hasn't really seemed to dip below thirty since. The rain has been a pain in the arse though. I bought a pair of Alpine Star waterproof, insulated gloves. They do quite well with keeping dry, but not so much on the warm below high thirties. I also picked up an Under Armour hood (I look like a ninja) and Under Armor glove liners. Combined with down insulated overalls, a fleece lined winter jacket with a fleece under it and I stay toasty warm. I've been singing the praises of Under Armor since. Granted, some of that stuff is on the more expensive side, but since it's my only mode of transportation right now, I really don't mind spending the money. A friend suggested checking out some sporting goods stores for water proof golf gear. Apparently you can get it pretty cheap, and since I don't need it to keep warm, it might work. I'll drop a line and let you all know how they work if I get a pair.
pinkbuddydude

Post by pinkbuddydude »

beer run last night before the ravens game, 33 outside here in baltimore, don't know if i could go much colder, but i'll find out in a couple weeks
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

Crap, we just lost 1/2 the power at my house... Thank God for cellular internet ;) I don't know how man survived before it....
rabbitgod

Post by rabbitgod »

It was 45 when I left friday morning. I took a frontage road of I10 for about 10 miles so I was going 55-65 the whole way. I don't really have any cold weather gear so I was freezing big time.

Lots of props to those of you with actual cold weather. You guys are hardcore. Easily 1000x more hardcore than those weekend/warm weather harley riders. But you knew that already :P
LisaLisa

Post by LisaLisa »

Right now I'm knitting a balaclava
http://knitty.com/ISSUEwinter06/PATTantifreeze.html
out of Lion Magic Stripes "Jelly Bean" yarn:
It really looks WILD. Pics when it's done.
I had to adjust the pattern for the tighter gauge of light sportweight/heavy sock yarn.
Det finns inte dåligt väder bara dåliga kläder.
Ed Hit

Post by Ed Hit »

Welp 12 degrees this AM I rode about 20 miles (1 hour in chicago traffic).

Boots, (and I should have doubled up on socks).

The Hand covers worked pretty well. I actually forgot my under glove liners, but only regretted that a little.

Otherwise, pants, liner and over pants, sweater, FF helmet and tourmaster jacket. Baclava (however you spell that).

Saw one other guy on a big apencade or something, good day!
ageekgirl

Post by ageekgirl »

LisaLisa wrote:Right now I'm knitting a balaclava
http://knitty.com/ISSUEwinter06/PATTantifreeze.html

out of Lion Magic Stripes "Jelly Bean" yarn:
It really looks WILD. Pics when it's done.
I had to adjust the pattern for the tighter gauge of light sportweight/heavy sock yarn.
I can't wait to see it!
Drumwoulf

Stalling in cold?

Post by Drumwoulf »

AFA the Buddy stalling in colder weather goes, IMO it's because its automatic choke is not it's strongest point. I've found that by adjusting the idle (the small screw next to the carb) up higher in winter, and then lower in summer, I can alleviate those stalling problems...
Namaste,
~drummer~

07 Buddy 125
07 Vespa GT200
Ed Hit

Re: Stalling in cold?

Post by Ed Hit »

Drumwoulf wrote:AFA the Buddy stalling in colder weather goes, IMO it's because its automatic choke is not it's strongest point. I've found that by adjusting the idle (the small screw next to the carb) up higher in winter, and then lower in summer, I can alleviate those stalling problems...
Thanks for that Drummer.

I should have mentioned I had a heck of a time getting it started... I had to kick start, and restart 3-4 times before it finally started going and warmed up on its own.
Last edited by Ed Hit on Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Scooter Hoot

Post by Scooter Hoot »

And for the 2nd time since I became a full time scooter commuter I decided to take the train rather than scoot. It was about 41 and raining this morning, and my rain pants were nowhere to be found. I can deal with cold, and I can deal with wet, but I can't manage both ... particularly without rain pants.

My coldest morning I think so far was about 38, but I couldn't feel my hands by the end of it. Thankfully it's only a 6 mile drive to work. I think I'm going to head to the store this weekend to invest in something better than mesh gloves, and experiment with sewing some wind shields mitts to keep the worst of the wind off my fingers. Ahh the things I'll put myself through just so I don't have to cave in and take the train or start paying for parking downtown.
KCScooterDude

Post by KCScooterDude »

22 this morning. I still love it!!!! Didn't even wear the silks and balaclava.
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

I got a nice surprise of 45 and rain this morning! Its the first time it's been outa the 20's and 30's in quite a while.
LisaLisa

Post by LisaLisa »

Well, if the cold weather ever comes back...
I decided to make it a non-nose covering balaclava, because I have a hard time with fog when I breathe through fabric.
In retrospect I would have made the back tighter.
For all you knitters, it's basically like knitting a giant sock.
lobsterman

Post by lobsterman »

23F here in Cincinnati on the ride in this morning...

That's my scooter in back and an 09 Buddy that I see parked here a lot in front.

Kevin
AYPWIP?
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

LisaLisa, that looks AWESOME! I'm a novice knitter, so I don't think I'll attempt it just yet. I've saved for the future. :D
ModBud #442
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

Actually lobsterman, I may be wrong, but 08/09 buddy's are pure black, the black/silver two tone was for 2006/2007 only.
broke

Post by broke »

LisaLisa wrote:For all you knitters, it's basically like knitting a giant sock.
I'm not a knitter... but that looks a lot more complicated than a sock!!! With the ribbing and finished edges it looks really good. How long does it take to knit that?
lobsterman

Post by lobsterman »

jfrost2 wrote:Actually lobsterman, I may be wrong, but 08/09 buddy's are pure black, the black/silver two tone was for 2006/2007 only.
I think you're right, maybe it was a left over. I think 2008 was black/silver too. I'll have to look at the mileage on it next time I see it, but I am pretty sure when I first saw it in December it had only 26 miles on the odometer.
Kevin
AYPWIP?
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

Yea I remember seeing 2007 buddy's at metro scooter back when they first got the 2008 colors, the silver and black was only a 06/07 but left over into the 08 year.
Rob

Post by Rob »

lobsterman wrote:
jfrost2 wrote:Actually lobsterman, I may be wrong, but 08/09 buddy's are pure black, the black/silver two tone was for 2006/2007 only.
I think you're right, maybe it was a left over. I think 2008 was black/silver too. I'll have to look at the mileage on it next time I see it, but I am pretty sure when I first saw it in December it had only 26 miles on the odometer.
I bought an 08 last Sept., and mine is all black. Too bad because I like the black/silver combo.

Rob
LisaLisa

Post by LisaLisa »

broke wrote:
I'm not a knitter... but that looks a lot more complicated than a sock!!! With the ribbing and finished edges it looks really good. How long does it take to knit that?
About 10 evenings knitting.
I used sport weight yarn , so I had to increase the stitch numbers. Which means more knitting than worsted weight, but a thinner fabric.

And really, it is like knitting a sock, except you do it on a circular needles rather than a set of double points (easier).
1. The neck is ribbing like a sock ankle
2. The back is like a sock heel flap- back and forth
3. Then you "turn the heel" with decreases to form the top.
4. Then you "pick up and knit"
5. The last part- making the forehead and chin, is "wrap and turn" (not done on socks)
6. Then you decrease and knit more ribbing
Drumwoulf

Post by Drumwoulf »

lobsterman wrote:23F here in Cincinnati on the ride in this morning...
That's my scooter in back and an 09 Buddy that I see parked here a lot in front.
Oh man, special parking for MCs and scooters? :shock:
NYC sh be so progressive! I think NYC hates everything on 2 wheels;
the police and city officials do everything they can to harrass MC riders,
scooterists, and bicyclists!
And now they've just recently started harrassing the poor pedicab operators! :?
This city is so backwards concerning the two-wheel situation,
it's like some kind of compulsive private war against the people who ride them! :evil:
I think either the mayor or else some other damn fool bigshot in charge must've been frightened
by a two wheeler when he was still in his mother's womb!! :twisted:
Namaste,
~drummer~

07 Buddy 125
07 Vespa GT200
newslinky

Post by newslinky »

Scooter Hoot wrote:...
My coldest morning I think so far was about 38, but I couldn't feel my hands by the end of it. Thankfully it's only a 6 mile drive to work. I think I'm going to head to the store this weekend to invest in something better than mesh gloves, and experiment with sewing some wind shields mitts to keep the worst of the wind off my fingers. Ahh the things I'll put myself through just so I don't have to cave in and take the train or start paying for parking downtown.
Heavier gloves and some sort of wind barrier will make a HUGE difference for you. I wear the winter gauntlets from Corazzo and I have the hand covers from scooterworks. The had covers do a nice job of keeping the wind away and the gaunlets keep my fingers warm. I go 45 minutes and 20 miles one way on my commute and so far teh coldest I have ridden in is a mere 32 degrees but my fingers weren't even cool by the time I made it home so if you get anything even close to similar it should definitely solve your cold fingers issue completely.
Proud owner of a Buddy St. Tropez 150
redcass

Post by redcass »

It's so good to read about so much great cold weather riding. I haven't ridden yet this winter b/c {gulp} I forgot to plug in my battery tender a while back and so it's all dead and I need to get a replacement. :oops:

I hope to join you all back on the road in a week or two. I mean, my Sherpa and my heavy gloves and my lined leather jacket and my long undies need to get pulled out of the closet! And every time I pass my Buddy in the garage I feel a painful twinge....

8)
RedCass
RedCass
olhogrider

Post by olhogrider »

Time to ride is now. Cute avatar. Is that "none of the gear all the time"?
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

LisaLisa wrote:
broke wrote:
About 10 evenings knitting.
I used sport weight yarn , so I had to increase the stitch numbers. Which means more knitting than worsted weight, but a thinner fabric.

And really, it is like knitting a sock, except you do it on a circular needles rather than a set of double points (easier).
1. The neck is ribbing like a sock ankle
2. The back is like a sock heel flap- back and forth
3. Then you "turn the heel" with decreases to form the top.
4. Then you "pick up and knit"
5. The last part- making the forehead and chin, is "wrap and turn" (not done on socks)
6. Then you decrease and knit more ribbing
I can't knit at all....... a "Custom Kint" "head sock" could be just the ticket! :)
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

Not meaning to rub it in ( :) ), but yesterday here in SF, old man winter gave us a break and made for some great scooter riding weather. Low 70's helped pack the various outdoor cafes' and brought out the sun dresses, shorts and t-shirts. I enjoyed lunch while getting a sunburn at a local outdoor cafe. Scooters (and motorcycles) where out in force and I saw a lot of Buddies and Vespas. Weatherman says we should have this weather for at least a week. Too bad I have to work through it though. :(
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

babblefish wrote:Not meaning to rub it in ( :) ), but yesterday here in SF, old man winter gave us a break and made for some great scooter riding weather. Low 70's helped pack the various outdoor cafes' and brought out the sun dresses, shorts and t-shirts. I enjoyed lunch while getting a sunburn at a local outdoor cafe. Scooters (and motorcycles) where out in force and I saw a lot of Buddies and Vespas. Weatherman says we should have this weather for at least a week. Too bad I have to work through it though. :(
Yeah, after the harsh winter storm, we're actually supposed to be 54 and sunny(Read partially cloudy for you non-Oregonians) tomorrow! I'm going to try to talk the wife into getting a babysitter and taking a REALLY long ride with me tomorrow. Or failing that, I might try to dig up some other scooterists.
broke

Post by broke »

Kaos wrote:I'm going to try to talk the wife into getting a babysitter and taking a REALLY long ride with me tomorrow. Or failing that, I might try to dig up some other scooterists.
Argh! I want in on a group ride! (But probably can't skip work this week... :( )
Want and need divide me. Mekka-lekka hi mekka hiney ho!
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

broke wrote:
Kaos wrote:I'm going to try to talk the wife into getting a babysitter and taking a REALLY long ride with me tomorrow. Or failing that, I might try to dig up some other scooterists.
Argh! I want in on a group ride! (But probably can't skip work this week... :( )
Well, I'd likely do it AFTER work. Unless I'm really far ahead by the end of today. Not likely though. I might be open to doing something on Saturday if the weather holds.
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

Those of you who are blessed with anemia & little hands, I hope this helps. I realized that my biggest problem comes from needing my hands to get ready to ride. None of my (too many) pairs of riding gloves are able to provide the level of dexterity I need. I have small hands and short fingers -- winter riding gloves are simply too puffy.

Grappling with frozen metal and plastic while exposed to the cold air and harsh winds would chill my hands terribly. In less than a minute, I'd lost all the heat from being indoors. Wearing riding gloves did nothing for me, because the gloves are meant to retain heat (as well as protect from moisture & wind chill). But if there's no heat, then there's nothing to retain.

Solution? I now carry a pair of dressy kid leather gloves. They fit like a...you know...and so allow me the dexterity to remove and stow my cover and lock & chain, fasten my helmet, and secure my belongings. Then at the very last moment, I quickly switch to my current favorite gloves, the Corazzo Winter Gauntlet. It's a clumsy solution, but it works for me.
ModBud #442