Cold Weather Scooter Warriors

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

olhogrider

Post by olhogrider »

We don't get cold weather here, but in my travels I have resorted to chemical heat packs. Sporting goods stores sell them. I put one on the back of each hand and one in each boot. If I rode a lot in cold weather I would look into a set of these.
http://www.aerostich.com/catalog/US/Hea ... 16539.html
Attachments
heated grips.JPG
heated grips.JPG (28.61 KiB) Viewed 2480 times
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

Kaos wrote:Yeah, after the harsh winter storm, we're actually supposed to be 54 and sunny(Read partially cloudy for you non-Oregonians) tomorrow! I'm going to try to talk the wife into getting a babysitter and taking a REALLY long ride with me tomorrow. Or failing that, I might try to dig up some other scooterists.
It's 9:30pm and it's 62 degrees outside. I'm debating on whether or not to hop on the scoot and partake in some coffee and ice cream at the local cafe. It's good to be a scooterist right now... 8)
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
Scooter Hoot

Post by Scooter Hoot »

It was low 40s with a stiff gusting wind. I always hate cross breezes on such a light little scooter - makes me feel like I'm going to tip.
Piedmont

Post by Piedmont »

NOAA said zero when I got to work. Thermometer at work said -4.
I need to find my snow pants.
Scooter Hoot

Post by Scooter Hoot »

Ooof ... kind of makes my 30 feels like 24 today look balmy. Maybe I'll have to go for coldest TX rider ...

Oh, and by the way - does anyone else have a problem with the Buddy dieing anytime it's at idle throttle when it's cold? I have to keep revving the engine at stop lights to keep it from going kaput.
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

Scooter Hoot wrote:Ooof ... kind of makes my 30 feels like 24 today look balmy. Maybe I'll have to go for coldest TX rider ...

Oh, and by the way - does anyone else have a problem with the Buddy dieing anytime it's at idle throttle when it's cold? I have to keep revving the engine at stop lights to keep it from going kaput.
Thats just a carbureted motor thing, turn up your idle screw and you should be fine.
fretman

Post by fretman »

14 degrees in Brooklyn, NYC today :shock: Hmmmnnnn, should I...? Yeah, what the heck, it beats walkin'!
broke

Post by broke »

I miss winter... I promise not to complain this year...
Want and need divide me. Mekka-lekka hi mekka hiney ho!
DennisD

Post by DennisD »

I wonder if I'll have to wear my cold weather gear more than 5 days this year? Usually just my mesh with a light jacket underneath. BRRRRR! 8)
broke

Post by broke »

... Well, except if it snows for like a month straight again and I can't get the scooter out... I will still complain about that!
Want and need divide me. Mekka-lekka hi mekka hiney ho!
jasondavis48108

Post by jasondavis48108 »

I've been meaning to ask, for those of you who ride in the winter and come from states (like here in michigan) where you actually get a real winter snow and all, what kind of gear do you use and what tires do you run? I've been thinking about some studded scooter tires this year but not sure if I want to subject the scoot to that much salt.
"Only the curious have, if they live, a tale worth telling at all" Alastair Reid
bluebuddygirl

Post by bluebuddygirl »

Lots of layers, insulated overpants, ski gloves, FF helmet, balaclava, insulated boots (snow boots, not motorcycle boots), but I still won't ride in actual snow. I'm not quite that crazy.
Tocsik

Post by Tocsik »

jasondavis48108 wrote:I've been meaning to ask, for those of you who ride in the winter and come from states (like here in michigan) where you actually get a real winter snow and all, what kind of gear do you use and what tires do you run? I've been thinking about some studded scooter tires this year but not sure if I want to subject the scoot to that much salt.
I have a very warm Fieldsheer jacket with their Thermopilot liner.
With that I wear: ski pants over my jeans, insulated hiking boots, a full face helmet with a Schampa face mask and Winter riding gloves.

I have also installed Oxford Heaterz heated grips on my scooter and have made wind blocks that slip over the ends of my handlebars (I made these out of insulated lunch bags).
I have a commute to work that is about 23 miles most of it going 50 - 55 bmph and I manage to stay warm enough. Sometimes my fingers still get cold even with all of that.

I try to ride year round and can manage if it is over about 25 F degrees.

I don't ride if snow is expected; it's just too risky. And I don't ride until the roads are clear but the snow doesn't stay on the ground long here in Denver 'cause we get over 300 days of sunshine per year 8) and it melts it off even when it is below freezing! Something to be said for altitude!
.::I know the voices in my head aren't real, but man do they come up with some great ideas::.
Asburyjer

Post by Asburyjer »

bluebuddygirl wrote: balaclava,
Question; how does a flaky Greek pastry with nuts and honey help on the cold weather commute?

DennisD

Post by DennisD »

Asburyjer wrote:
Question; how does a flaky Greek pastry with nuts and honey help on the cold weather commute?

The pastry would be baklava or baclava. Some people might wear it but I suspect most would be consenting adults and only in the privacy of their homes or behind closed doors - somewhere. :lol:

The one you would wear in public is a balaclava. See wiki below.

Balaclava (clothing) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jul 15, 2009 ... A balaclava (pronounced /ˌbæləˈklɑːvə/), also known as a balaclava helmet or ski mask, is a form of headgear covering the whole head, ...
Asburyjer

Post by Asburyjer »

DennisD wrote: The pastry would be baklava or baclava. Some people might wear it but I suspect most would be consenting adults and only in the privacy of their homes or behind closed doors - somewhere. :lol:

Jul 15, 2009 ... A balaclava (pronounced /ˌbæləˈklɑːvə/), also known as a balaclava helmet or ski mask, is a form of headgear covering the whole head, ...
Oh yes, I see where that would be much more helpful. :lol:
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

Ha, wow... already, huh?

If yuo're planning on riding through the winter, buy your gear now (when it's swelteringly hot outside) for the best prices.

Or make you own. :)
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
siobhan

Post by siobhan »

DennisD wrote:
Asburyjer wrote:

The pastry would be baklava or baclava. Some people might wear it but I suspect most would be consenting adults and only in the privacy of their homes or behind closed doors - somewhere. :lol:

You can get 'em cheap now that the IRA has decommissioned.
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

broke wrote:I miss winter... I promise not to complain this year...
I've never complained about winter..... Summer is another story!!!

Working out doors for nearly 30 years I've learned how to dress for the cold, when it's hot out one can take only so much off!!!! :lol:
kneil67@yahoo.com

Post by kneil67@yahoo.com »

I stoped riding for a month in feb. because the snow banks would melt during the day and freeze at night. Black ice at night isnt pretty I only ride after the plows have cleared the road . snowmobile gloves and that type of esuipment is the way to go to beat the cold. allways expect to freeze watch the weather channel like a hawk if your going to ride. thats my advice from my New Hampshire winter riding experience but its fun people will think your crazy but its ok when you are.
Leif

Post by Leif »

Tocsik wrote:
jasondavis48108 wrote:I've been meaning to ask, for those of you who ride in the winter and come from states (like here in michigan) where you actually get a real winter snow and all, what kind of gear do you use and what tires do you run? I've been thinking about some studded scooter tires this year but not sure if I want to subject the scoot to that much salt.
I have a very warm Fieldsheer jacket with their Thermopilot liner.
With that I wear: ski pants over my jeans, insulated hiking boots, a full face helmet with a Schampa face mask and Winter riding gloves.

I have also installed Oxford Heaterz heated grips on my scooter and have made wind blocks that slip over the ends of my handlebars (I made these out of insulated lunch bags).
I have a commute to work that is about 23 miles most of it going 50 - 55 bmph and I manage to stay warm enough. Sometimes my fingers still get cold even with all of that.

I try to ride year round and can manage if it is over about 25 F degrees.

I don't ride if snow is expected; it's just too risky. And I don't ride until the roads are clear but the snow doesn't stay on the ground long here in Denver 'cause we get over 300 days of sunshine per year 8) and it melts it off even when it is below freezing! Something to be said for altitude!

Do you ride with a windshield? If so how high do you have it. When I posted picture of the scoot everyone here commented on the "height" of my shield and I don't know if I want to be seen around Denver compensating with a huge windshield ;). But seriously I am considering cutting it down, and would like an idea of what is a good height for our area.
kmtscoot

Post by kmtscoot »

Wow! Some of you guys and gals put me to shame. You’re driving in much lower temps than me. My lower limit is usually 40 degrees, then I take the cage. I park the scoot for a full three months each year. I’m off the scoot before the roads are actually snow packed. Not just when they are. I guess this old guy is not the he-man he thought he was. :D
2008 Buddy 125 (sold)
2009 SYM RV250
1963 Karmann Ghia
Th17kit

Riding pants recommendation

Post by Th17kit »

I'm gearing up for winter riding in Denver. I have a FF on order, and found some old snow boots that will work great.

I found a really good deal on a pair of waterproof, insulated riding pants at Jafrum.com. I wouldn't normally push a specific product but it's a stupidly good deal.

I've used the pants for a couple weeks now, and they are well made, amazingly warm (and I haven't even used the zip-out liners yet), armored(!), comfortable, and most of all, inexpensive!

http://www.jafrum.com/Motorcycle-Gear/M ... nts/LP2821

I rode at night for 10 miles at 50 mph in ~32 F, and WITHOUT the liners I was plenty warm.

I just thought someone might like to know, if they're always looking for deals like I am :)

[/url]
Dr. Rock

Post by Dr. Rock »

I have been riding as low as 45f here in Oklahoma which includes wind (sweeping down the plain etc). Ok with leather and gloves. I have a helmet with the earmuffs built in for winter and it works great.
Last edited by Dr. Rock on Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Twitter: @Drjuggernaught
KCScooterDude

Post by KCScooterDude »

35 here in Kansas City this morning. Fieldsheer Adventure jacket was toasty.
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

I'm ready for whatever these brutal California winters have to offer... as well as the occasional gig as a freelance Ninja fighter! :ninja:
Attachments
ninjarider.jpg
ninjarider.jpg (35.05 KiB) Viewed 2162 times

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
jasondavis48108

27 degrees here in Michigan when I left this morning. I have a motoport kevlar touring jacket with both the rain and insulated liners and I wear rain pants to block the wind along with smartwool snowboarding socks and keen hiking boots. So far everything but my hands stay nice and warm. I currently wear mountian hardwear glove liners and cortec scarab winter gloves but they are just not wind proof nor warm enough for cold weather riding here in michigan :(
"Only the curious have, if they live, a tale worth telling at all" Alastair Reid
ERik3tb

Post by ERik3tb »

18 degrees this am with snow on the roads and I got passed by someone on an HD200.
Heroism is being scared as hell and saddling up anyways - John Wayne
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

jasondavis48108 wrote:27 degrees here ...
KCScooterDude wrote:35 here ...
ERik3tb wrote:18 degrees this am...
Man, you are all made of much heartier stuff than I... :roll:

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

Skootz Kabootz wrote:
jasondavis48108 wrote:27 degrees here ...
KCScooterDude wrote:35 here ...
ERik3tb wrote:18 degrees this am...
Man, you are all made of much heartier stuff than I... :roll:
It was 32 on my ride in this morning. And only 38 on my ride back. Its getting chilly!
jasondavis48108

I don't mind the cold at all if its dry then its safe. What I'm starting to worry about it the soon to be here snow and especially the ice. I've been seriously considering the studded tire route but can't find anything to fit the buddy 50. Its the winter in michigan that makes me seriously consider buying a trike :twisted: Oh well, I guess until I have 20 or 30 grand I'll have to stick to riding my bicycle in the snow and hoping for a few dry days during the months of december January and febuary. I really hate those months :evil:
Portland_Rider
Location: Free Territory of the Pacific Northwest (Kalifornia refugee)

Post by Portland_Rider »

Lostmycage wrote:I now have Corazzo Winter Gauntlets, which although better, don't do it for my fingertips. This is turning out to be a very expensive

I also own the Corazzo Winter Gauntlets. Riding at about 40mph with temps at say the low 40s, my fingers became chilled after a while. Hey, I know all our bodies react differently, this is just my experience with my Corrazzo winter gloves.
ERik3tb

Post by ERik3tb »

It was 5 degrees this AM and that HD200 rider passed me again this morning.

I was in the work van and followed him. He's the owner of the scooter shop in my area. I asked him and he rides regardless of the weather year round.

In Wyoming, that is very, very brave.
Heroism is being scared as hell and saddling up anyways - John Wayne
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

ERik3tb wrote:It was 5 degrees this AM and that HD200 rider passed me again this morning.

I was in the work van and followed him. He's the owner of the scooter shop in my area. I asked him and he rides regardless of the weather year round.

In Wyoming, that is very, very brave.
Wow, now thats a hardcore scooter pilot! I rode down to 19 last year, and that was brutal. It was 30 this morning, and my hands were quite chilled when I got to the office.
pdxrita

Post by pdxrita »

Skootz Kabootz wrote: Man, you are all made of much heartier stuff than I... :roll:
The last two days have been 35 and 37, respectively, riding in the morning. Though this morning felt colder. As a California transplant, I've been quite surprised at my own ability to withstand the cold. I never would have guessed, when we moved here, that I'd be riding a scooter in near freezing temps. But you adjust after a while, both physically and mentally. Still, I suspect my riding days this year are numbered. I'm going to try to stick it out until the holiday break, but I think it's back on the bus with me after the new year. :cry:
Last edited by pdxrita on Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
gr8dog

Post by gr8dog »

I'm gonna park Buddy for the winter this weekend. :cry: Lows forecast in the teens and highs in the 20's with occasional snow. :cry: I will do my final oil change for the year tomorrow. :cry:
Coffeejunkie

Post by Coffeejunkie »

Since I'm still relatively new to the game I've been testing to see how low can I go. So far the lowest I have gone is 30 degrees, and it was before I got my winter gloves and balaklava. Granted my commute is only 3 miles so I only had to have my fingers and toes amputated.

I'm going to keep on going and see if I can make it through the winter. Granted I'm only dealing with an Atlanta winter, but heck we are on the list for possible snow this weekend. That would certainly put a halt to my scooting since wet conditions still just give me the willies. :shock:
Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

http://javascoots.wordpress.com/
TVB

Post by TVB »

It was only around freezing this morning, and with ye olde leather jacket, gloves, and ear warmer over my lower face, I was good to go. But it's snowing, and scooting to the comics store after work in the melting/freezing snow, in the dark with all the headlight glare... wasn't all that fun. The forecast for the forecastable future is similar. The current tank of gas has Sta-bil in it, anticipating that some of it will be spending the next few months in the scooter. {sigh}
Major Redneck

Post by Major Redneck »

Ok back in the day you did not have all this fancy riding gear... a pair of semi-rawhide work gloves,,, warmest if you put on a pair of cotton gloves on first,,, you know your gardengloves... Next is something i still do from time to time to boost up the warmth... NEWSPAPER!!! yep thats right,,, you can take newspaper and fold it to where you can slide it down you into you leg to help block wind as well as a few pages to add to the chest...

It works!!! it does not take that much paper a section works good...iv used it mostly back in the 60's and 70's along with a fieldjacket,,, combat boots and a old USA flag helment,,, yes openface with no faceshild... but for those who just dont have enough riding gear to keep them warm try adding newspaper... you can even be crafty and make a balaclava out of newpaper,,, Sunday comic section looks cool.... i used this on a trip from Tallahassee Fla. to Heber Az. to visit my grandfather for Christmas in 73 on a honda 350... a trip ill never forget nor will i ever take again... Easter would have been a better time...
Scoot'in is more fun than beating up your sister, and it comes with a key!!!
MarsR

Post by MarsR »

My ski gloves keep me warm down to 20 degrees or so, but this morning it was 11 degrees. I put on an extra pair of lightweight riding glove under my ski gloves, but it's still pretty cold at my fingertips. The rest of me stays pretty toasty. The biggest problem is with my visor fogging up. I've hunted all over town for some Cat Crap to put on my visor, but haven't been able to find any. I guess I'll have to order it online. The stuff I bought in a little spray bottle helps some, but not enough.
MB#1749 RBC#8

"I have GOT to get me one of THESE!"
--Captain Steven Hiller (Will Smith), Independence Day
kneil67@yahoo.com

dec first new england below freezing

http://www.youtube.com/user/67kneil#p/a/u/2/wivOs0ZN6bI
Coffeejunkie

Post by Coffeejunkie »

kneil67@yahoo.com wrote:dec first new england below freezing

http://www.youtube.com/user/67kneil#p/a/u/2/wivOs0ZN6bI
What helmet cam set up are you using? Also that is the most amazing footage of a Bunnysasquatch I've seen to date.
Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

http://javascoots.wordpress.com/
black sunshine

Post by black sunshine »

Coffeejunkie wrote:Since I'm still relatively new to the game I've been testing to see how low can I go. So far the lowest I have gone is 30 degrees, and it was before I got my winter gloves and balaklava. Granted my commute is only 3 miles so I only had to have my fingers and toes amputated.

I'm going to keep on going and see if I can make it through the winter. Granted I'm only dealing with an Atlanta winter, but heck we are on the list for possible snow this weekend. That would certainly put a halt to my scooting since wet conditions still just give me the willies. :shock:
i'm right here with ya . . . i plan on scooting as long as possible here in Coldlanta! i have to pay $120 a month to park at work (Colony Square building on Peachtree), but on my scooter they just let me park in the loading dock and look the other way :-D i won't scoot in the snow for sure . . . and if there's any chance of ice that will stop me too, but otherwise i'm out!!
TVB

Post by TVB »

I woke this morning to an inch of snow all over Flash (on my covered but not enclosed porch), and several inches everywhere else. No way I'm scooting in this weather... even if I trusted myself on two wheels, too many people out there who don't remember yet how to drive a car on snow.
kneil67@yahoo.com

TVB wrote:I woke this morning to an inch of snow all over Flash (on my covered but not enclosed porch), and several inches everywhere else. No way I'm scooting in this weather... even if I trusted myself on two wheels, too many people out there who don't remember yet how to drive a car on snow.
big #1
gr8dog

Post by gr8dog »

I saw a four car accident this morning (caused by slippery roads) and experienced black ice. Also, todays temps didn't top 20 degrees. I changed Buddy's oil and tucked her away for winter. The battery is now on a tender in the basement. Now I wait for April to arrive. The snow blower came out to take Buddy's place in the garage.
KCScooterDude

Post by KCScooterDude »

I will be going with heated grips/gloves. I have an HJC full face helmet with a nose mask and a Fieldsheer adventure jacket. I was toasty rinding in the 30s, but my hands and my legs were cold. L.L. Bean insulated socks kept my feet nice and warm. I need to find a solution for my legs under work (Docker-type) pants.
kneil67@yahoo.com

KCScooterDude wrote:I will be going with heated grips/gloves. I have an HJC full face helmet with a nose mask and a Fieldsheer adventure jacket. I was toasty rinding in the 30s, but my hands and my legs were cold. L.L. Bean insulated socks kept my feet nice and warm. I need to find a solution for my legs under work (Docker-type) pants.
army field pants artic
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

kneil67@yahoo.com wrote:
KCScooterDude wrote:I will be going with heated grips/gloves. I have an HJC full face helmet with a nose mask and a Fieldsheer adventure jacket. I was toasty rinding in the 30s, but my hands and my legs were cold. L.L. Bean insulated socks kept my feet nice and warm. I need to find a solution for my legs under work (Docker-type) pants.
army field pants artic
+1. I use BDU's over my work pants. They work really well, I've worn them down to 19 degrees and not been that cold.

I just ordered grip heaters today though, as my hands are not staying warm below 35 even with my TourMaster Polartec gloves. Though they're a huge improvement over my old gloves.
kneil67@yahoo.com

Kaos wrote:
kneil67@yahoo.com wrote:
army field pants artic
+1. I use BDU's over my work pants. They work really well, I've worn them down to 19 degrees and not been that cold.

I just ordered grip heaters today though, as my hands are not staying warm below 35 even with my TourMaster Polartec gloves. Though they're a huge improvement over my old gloves.
at 88 mph kaos i cant imagine your wind chill