Cold Weather Scooter Warriors

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

Kaos wrote:... I had to stop several times and crack the ice off my visor...
:lol: Ya know you're hardcore when...

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Kaos wrote:Well, so much for it being 23 this morning.... It was 6. :(

I rode in anyway, my new grip heaters worked well, but were still not a match for windchill. While my hands wern't frozen, they still get pretty cold.

I think if I add windguards to the mix, they'll do the trick.... I still want to know how it gets to be 6 degrees in Oregon...
Geez, Kaos, you are my hero ....... or my nominee for this week's Darwin award. We'll see if you make it through the rest of the local cold snap and the freezing rain at the end.
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

Dooglas wrote:
Kaos wrote:Well, so much for it being 23 this morning.... It was 6. :(

I rode in anyway, my new grip heaters worked well, but were still not a match for windchill. While my hands wern't frozen, they still get pretty cold.

I think if I add windguards to the mix, they'll do the trick.... I still want to know how it gets to be 6 degrees in Oregon...
Geez, Kaos, you are my hero ....... or my nominee for this week's Darwin award. We'll see if you make it through the rest of the local cold snap and the freezing rain at the end.
Heh, if we get freezing rain I'll call it quits, I'll ride as cold as I can stand, but ice and two wheels just don't mix. Its been quite a test of endurance. I'm heading to REI to try and get some better socks now.... :)
db

Post by db »

Battery heated ones, oh yeah
Maybe not though, I've never tried them
Wheelz

Post by Wheelz »

two words for ya Kaos "Smart WooL"! four years of year round cycling in chicago, and they can't be beat... :wink:
"Hey You, yeah, all you'se thoughts, specially you, creepy wierd one in the corner, Screw you guys, I'm going for a ride..."
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

Wheelz wrote:two words for ya Kaos "Smart WooL"! four years of year round cycling in chicago, and they can't be beat... :wink:
I'm so glad you said that. Thats EXACTLY what the REI employee recommended, and what I purchased. :) They LOOK like hardcore socks, hopefully they'll do the trick!
mjm1374

Post by mjm1374 »

26 degree when I left, the bank said 30 when I got to work. 40 minute commute into town ( took it slow to watch for ice patches).

I got a good 3 season jacket that is very good against the wind. 3 layer on under it and a good set of gloves with a winter liner. It was cold, the coffee never tasted better at the office.

not sure I'd do it every day at these temps but I got new winter gear and I am seeing how far I can push it. Its significantly better than last year with just a leather jacket and a sweater.
pdxrita

Post by pdxrita »

The good thing about braving this week's 14 degree temps is that this coming week's forecast of high 30's to mid 40's (and maybe even a 50 later!) looks downright warm. At this rate, I just might make it through the winter without parking it (except for when there's snow or ice).
jasondavis48108

Post by jasondavis48108 »

Kaos, I have about 20 pair of smartwool socks. I find that for the really cold weather I use Keen waterproof hiking boots, smartwool sock liners and smartwool phd snowboarding socks. I also use gaiters to further block the wind. This combo seems to get me through even the coldest weather.
"Only the curious have, if they live, a tale worth telling at all" Alastair Reid
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

jasondavis48108 wrote:Kaos, I have about 20 pair of smartwool socks. I find that for the really cold weather I use Keen waterproof hiking boots, smartwool sock liners and smartwool phd snowboarding socks. I also use gaiters to further block the wind. This combo seems to get me through even the coldest weather.
Well, it looks like once I finally bought a pair, the weather jumps back into the 30's :) They'll still be nice to have though. 30 still isn't warm.
ThinAir

Post by ThinAir »

Kaos wrote:... my new grip heaters worked well, but were still not a match for windchill. .....I think if I add windguards to the mix, they'll do the trick.......
Yep, that is the ticket. Heated grips and handlebar mitts to cut the wind is the way to go.
I'm able to ride in lighter gloves with this combo, which gives much better control than bulky gloves or mittens.
www.peakscooter.com - Lap Aprons, Handlebar Muffs/Mitts, Lighting, stuff for your ride.
pugbuddy

Post by pugbuddy »

I rode yesterday. It began in the 40s but dropped to the low 30s by 5pm. High winds too, which really made it cold! However, I draw the line when it's below freezing. Ice worries the heck out of me.... :shock:
Robert Wayne Henderson (May 16, 1932 - July 28, 2009).
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

pugbuddy wrote:I rode yesterday. It began in the 40s but dropped to the low 30s by 5pm. High winds too, which really made it cold! However, I draw the line when it's below freezing. Ice worries the heck out of me.... :shock:
The temperature has finally come back up into the 40's, with heavy rain. I discovered today, to the contrary of what you'd think, my rainsuit isn't waterproof :(
jasondavis48108

Post by jasondavis48108 »

Kaos wrote:
pugbuddy wrote:I rode yesterday. It began in the 40s but dropped to the low 30s by 5pm. High winds too, which really made it cold! However, I draw the line when it's below freezing. Ice worries the heck out of me.... :shock:
The temperature has finally come back up into the 40's, with heavy rain. I discovered today, to the contrary of what you'd think, my rainsuit isn't waterproof :(
I found the same curious trait in my Cabela rain suite as well kaos. I went with a field shear and it did the trick. I don't think most rain suites take into consideration high winds :)
"Only the curious have, if they live, a tale worth telling at all" Alastair Reid
Coffeejunkie

Post by Coffeejunkie »

I finally got another coldish ride in this morning (38 degrees) since it wasn't raining. We've been getting so much rain here that I thought about attaching outriggers to my scoot :P .
Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

http://javascoots.wordpress.com/
bigbropgo

Post by bigbropgo »

thought of MB and the cold weather warriors when i ran across this site.

http://www.coldkillers.co.uk/
no i don't ride a scooter, i am a scooter pilot!
VICTUS MORTUUS VENATOR
Dibber

Post by Dibber »

I haven't followed this post all the way through, but a good riding friend of mine has a Yamaha Zuma that has brush guard hand grips that push the wind off your hands. You can buy an aftermarket from National Cycle. They come clear and clamp onto your mirror or by the mirror post. They are a bit expensive $89.99 but I sure like the looks of them and living in Minnesota would be a nice addition to my Buddy.
Bart "This is the worst day of my life!" Homer "No it's the worst day so far!"
www.twincitiesrider.com
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

Dibber wrote:I haven't followed this post all the way through, but a good riding friend of mine has a Yamaha Zuma that has brush guard hand grips that push the wind off your hands. You can buy an aftermarket from National Cycle. They come clear and clamp onto your mirror or by the mirror post. They are a bit expensive $89.99 but I sure like the looks of them and living in Minnesota would be a nice addition to my Buddy.
http://www.nationalcycle.com/catalogue/ ... ther.shtml

That would do the trick. As you said, it's a bit pricey. Cold fingers let go of dollars bills a lot easier than warm fingers do, lol.
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
Coffeejunkie

Post by Coffeejunkie »

I had second thoughts today about scooting into work because the air was so cold. Then I turned on the Weather Channel and realized that people were literally house deep in snow. So I sucked it up, put on a warmer sweater and headed out. Aside from some chilled digits 27 degrees is a perfectly fine temp to go scooting in.
Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

http://javascoots.wordpress.com/
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

I just found an instructable on <a href="http://www.instructables.com/id/DIY-hea ... hing/">how to make your own heated gear!</a> I love Instructables!
PasadenaSue

Post by PasadenaSue »

I was looking into heated seats (covers) and found a few for motorcycles and snowmobiles that would probably work. Then I found this - heated seat cover for a car! Cheap, and I think it might work. It doesn't say how many amps it uses...

Thoughts? Suggestions?
takora

Post by takora »

Kaos wrote:I just found an instructable on <a href="http://www.instructables.com/id/DIY-hea ... hing/">how to make your own heated gear!</a> I love Instructables!

Awesome, thank you for that, Kaos! I was just gonna set myself on fire and hope it went out by the time I got to work. I might still try that, for fun, but if I can make my own heated gear that will be a bonus.
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

takora wrote:
Kaos wrote:I just found an instructable on <a href="http://www.instructables.com/id/DIY-hea ... hing/">how to make your own heated gear!</a> I love Instructables!

Awesome, thank you for that, Kaos! I was just gonna set myself on fire and hope it went out by the time I got to work. I might still try that, for fun, but if I can make my own heated gear that will be a bonus.
During that last cold snap, I seriously thought about that :P I think this gear will work a lot better though... Less chance of 3rd degree burns.
pdxrita

Post by pdxrita »

Darn it! It's snowing. I guess that means I'm back on the bus tomorrow. The scooter has made me really hate riding the bus. Maybe I can ride on Thursday.
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

pdxrita wrote:Darn it! It's snowing. I guess that means I'm back on the bus tomorrow. The scooter has made me really hate riding the bus. Maybe I can ride on Thursday.
Yeah, tell me about it. I just rode 25 miles home in the snow!! That is EXHAUSTING. And my bike doesn't really have a slow take off. Not something I'd recommend!
pdxrita

Post by pdxrita »

Kaos wrote:
pdxrita wrote:Darn it! It's snowing. I guess that means I'm back on the bus tomorrow. The scooter has made me really hate riding the bus. Maybe I can ride on Thursday.
Yeah, tell me about it. I just rode 25 miles home in the snow!! That is EXHAUSTING. And my bike doesn't really have a slow take off. Not something I'd recommend!
Yikes! If I had ridden my scooter into work today (if I worked, that is), I think I would left it in the parking garage overnight. Someone leaves a Metro in there all the time, so I think it would have been fine. You are much braver than I.:ninja: <-Kaos
kooky scientist

Post by kooky scientist »

I rode to work today in 14 degrees with wind gusts up to 50 mph. Only had to drive 5 miles to work where I can bring it into a heated warehouse. Definitely need some better gloves but as long as there is no ice on the road I can handle it. I'm just amazed my Buddy 50 starts up in this weather. No garage at home, just a heavy tarp.

Once the snow hits, it's train and bike for me though...
takora

Post by takora »

Kaos wrote:

Dude, I totally wasn't expecting the snow. My commute is about 6 miles or so, it took three hours to get home. Lots of that was just sitting in non-moving traffic on Burnside while cars slid all over... I had to push the Buddy up that hill on Burnside before Sandy. Only totally wiped out on the ice and hit the pavement three times, I think...
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

takora wrote:
Kaos wrote:

Dude, I totally wasn't expecting the snow. My commute is about 6 miles or so, it took three hours to get home. Lots of that was just sitting in non-moving traffic on Burnside while cars slid all over... I had to push the Buddy up that hill on Burnside before Sandy. Only totally wiped out on the ice and hit the pavement three times, I think...
Yikes! It only took me about 2 hours to get home, though I left JUST when it started snowing. Over Terwilliger was SCARRY. It was nearly a white-out at the top.
Stormswift

Post by Stormswift »

I am not looking to ride in the winter but even late fall with below 50 F can be unpleasant. So I looked at ski pants, baklava for skiing and jacket to go on top of lighter armored jacket. Turns out I already have a jacket, bought in Alaska. Pants and baklava I bought in a ski shop and tested both going down 700+ft hill on a "doughnut" with whet snow drift flying in my face. I stood on my knees in a snow helping my kiddo and stayed dry. I also got a pair of snowboarding goggles (they look like eye glasses vs ski eyecovers. They too helped cut down the wind. So come early spring, as soon as snow is gone I will ride again. Not sure yet how to manage gloves. Ski gloves are just too bulky and there is no armor.
Ed Hit

Post by Ed Hit »

tried to start buddy yesterday.

3 degrees out and it would not start! Can't imagine why. Poor buddy.

Weird thing, and I don't know if this is because it was cold, or if I should still be paranoid about my variator issues. When I tried to kick start it, the kick start lever would not spring back up the way it usually would; a couple of times I actually needed to lift it back into place. I only tried a couple of times, since I am a bit paranoid about it...

Variator issues detailed here
topic13764.html
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

Ed Hit wrote:tried to start buddy yesterday.

3 degrees out and it would not start! Can't imagine why. Poor buddy.

Weird thing, and I don't know if this is because it was cold, or if I should still be paranoid about my variator issues. When I tried to kick start it, the kick start lever would not spring back up the way it usually would; a couple of times I actually needed to lift it back into place. I only tried a couple of times, since I am a bit paranoid about it...

Variator issues detailed here
topic13764.html
Its likely the cold. When it was 6 here a few weeks back I had a LOT of problems getting my Buddy to start. My kick start doesn't always spring back either. Thats fairly normal.
Cheshire

Post by Cheshire »

After reading some of this, on Monday I decided to move the scooter from its normal place on the open carport to the garage (that's part of the basement). Good thing, too. Yesterday I was getting ready to go somewhere on the scooter and noticed pre-ride my rear tire was so flat that the bead was unseated! :shock: It's never had pressure loss before and hasn't lost a single pound of pressure since re-inflating it mid-day yesterday, so the only thing I can think of is it sitting a few days in the single-digit to sub-freezing temperatures.
cmac

Post by cmac »

You guys have no idea how many times I have heard people say that i'm crazy for riding out in this cold weather / that I'm going to freeze outside / I hope you have some warm clothing.

And it's only 35+ degrees........

I rarely wear anything under my jeans and I feel fine. I actually sweat a little bit on the way to work I'm so warm.

Floridians, I swear.
nateandcourt

Post by nateandcourt »

We were hit with low 20s this past week. It was freakin cold. My gear is not made for this heh.
"Ah, this is obviously some strange usage of the word 'safe' that I wasn't previously aware of. "

Douglas Adams
sunshinen

Post by sunshinen »

Cheshire wrote:After reading some of this, on Monday I decided to move the scooter from its normal place on the open carport to the garage (that's part of the basement). Good thing, too. Yesterday I was getting ready to go somewhere on the scooter and noticed pre-ride my rear tire was so flat that the bead was unseated! :shock: It's never had pressure loss before and hasn't lost a single pound of pressure since re-inflating it mid-day yesterday, so the only thing I can think of is it sitting a few days in the single-digit to sub-freezing temperatures.
Yeah, you really have to watch the tire pressure in the winter. Mine seems to lose air dramatically when there are big changes in temperature.
Scooter Commuter
Vicky86

Post by Vicky86 »

In the winter, the [url=hattp://]Nylon Gloves[/url] is the best choice to protect wind, I think. As it's Waterproof and keep hands warm. It's the very good for drive motorcycle, do you think so? :D
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

It got UP to 36* here yesterday..... WoooHoooo!!! Took a short ride YEAH!! (like getting my Valium perscription refilled) Ahhh....I feel so much better!
Rippinyarn

Post by Rippinyarn »

I saw this today as I was heading to my traditional Friday breakfast meeting. No, it's not mine. This is Cadillac Square in Detroit, MI. This scoot lives outside the apartment building all the time...

Rovers SC
Check out the latest at scooterfile.com
BoneGirl

Birthday Ride

Post by BoneGirl »

My birthday was last Sunday and the sun was shining brightly! Decided it was reason enough to ride to church. I also decided to pick up a couple Tags from the ScooterCincinnati Forum. Talk about an awesome day to put 30 miles on the Buddy...oh, BTW, it was 9 degrees! Invigorating to say the least!
Cheshire

Post by Cheshire »

Just got back from REI. Got some "lobster" bicycling gloves and x-country skiing gaiters. I'll test them out either tonight or tomorrow. Let's see if these gaiters will take up the slack between my regular-length MC pants and longer-than-regular legs!
siobhan

Post by siobhan »

Cheshire wrote:Just got back from REI. Got some "lobster" bicycling gloves and x-country skiing gaiters. I'll test them out either tonight or tomorrow. Let's see if these gaiters will take up the slack between my regular-length MC pants and longer-than-regular legs!
Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease comment about the gaiters. My riding pants come to just above my boots (I'm 5'11" and the women's riding pants just don't do the length v. waist for me) so please let me know how the gaiters work. The b/f thought I was crazy for considering them; I'd love to have the option! Please post!
Cheshire

Post by Cheshire »

Sorry I haven't gotten back to ya. Ice storm hit and with news stories like busses sliding around and triple-digit wreck counts from fog freezing on main roads, I've been taking the truck. :shock:
Today I'm riding again after scouting the roads yesterday with 4 wheels, so I'll check back in this afternoon/evening.
Cheshire

Post by Cheshire »

It wasn't nearly as cold as it's been, but the gaiters were wonderful this morning! Tested them in temps hovering right around freezing on the motorcycle, so no leg shield to hide behind. I didn't feel a thing!! :D Normally I've got a trickle of cold air going up both pants legs.
I'll be testing them again for mid-30's night later today, and mid-20's riding tomorrow morning on my way to school.
Asburyjer

Post by Asburyjer »

A bit warmer here this morning, 37 degrees and spitting rain, the ride this morning was much better than yesterday, but I still had to bundle up.

I find that my Carhartt jacket works really well at keeping the wind off me, but I need winter riding gloves in a big way the mesh riding gloves let too much air to my hands other than that it was another fine ride in today.

Hopefully the rain stays away.
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

37 degrees and spitting rain with mesh summer gloves?! That's not hardcore, it's masochistic. Your hands might start to protest by falling off.

Even the worst winter glove is better than mesh in that kind of weather. I'd even go with a ski glove with no armor/padding (your fingers will be warm enough to still work the controls) than mesh. The only exception to that is if you have heated grips and handlebar muffs.

Check out these threads for some ideas on how to keep your hands warm.

topic14077.html

topic14069.html

topic13993.html
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
sunshinen

Post by sunshinen »

31 when I headed out this morning. Felt almost like summer. =)
Scooter Commuter
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

I feel almost guilty reading this thread. This winter's been very mild even by SoCal standards. Today we'll be 10° over the average. I have cold weather gear I haven't even gotten to use yet.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Cheshire

Post by Cheshire »

This morning: 20F
Now: 58F
Tonight's predicted low: 34F

Guess that means it's back to autumn/spring strategy of hauling the messenger bag with a full gear change everywhere. *sigh*
sunshinen

Post by sunshinen »

It's been a very cold winter here. Worst in years.

But it's funny how the little things really affect how cold it feels on any given ride. This morning at 31 derees, I was comfy, cozy, and surprised that the temp was still sub-freezing. But at lunch (I made an unusual mid-day outing to get out and enjoy the heat wave) it was 51 -- and I felt cold on the ride!

Differences: In the morning, it was sunny. I had just had a hot shower and spent 5 minutes with hot air blowing on my head. I expected it to still feel cold. I was not hungry.

At lunch, it was cloudy. I had been on the cold side of comfortable all morning. I expected the ride to be feel warm. I needed food.
Scooter Commuter