Home made lap blanket

Scooter and Rally Pictures and Videos

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Home made lap blanket

Post by Lostmycage »

So my wife wouldn't let me get the Corazzo lap blanket. (for the uninclined, it's a very nice piece and in no way at all am I trying to undermine them or their well thought out and quality products.) I'm broke in personal funds (my allowance :roll: ) due to an early cold snap convincing me to buy colder weather gear, a decision that I'm very happy with. So instead she talked me into making one ourselves. Two reasons, cost and customization... you'll notice the Buddy we used to model isn't exactly an off the showroom floor model. :wink:

It was a 2 week long process, mostly involving me saying "I'll get to it..." The relapse of warm weather staved off my enthusiasm, with a sharp spike in willingness to work on it completely tied into the waning of said warm weather reprieve. It actually took 2 lazy evenings, and cost about $35 in materials. It was a fun little project and my gawd... it's made my commute so much better!

Details:
3 layers.
1-Black Duck Cloth
2-Insulative batting (I think this was originally intended for super duty curtains, there's a layer of foil inside that reflects heat right back at me)
3-Super soft fleece in a pattern that was just too tacky to pass up.

It's soon to be treated with Nikwax "Softshell waterproofing" /Nod to Kaos for that wonderful suggestion.

Adjustable belt closure and lower securing tabs for a bungee - later to be replaced by a cinchable elastic band.

Pics:
:arrow: This is the underside exposed with the securing tab visible.

:arrow: Me wearing the blanket, pipe side view.

:arrow: Blanket resting on the Buddy for a better sense of the scale of it.

:arrow: View of the horrible fleece that I had to use cause... well, look at it, it's too tacky not to use! :wink:

A warning about trying this at home, both my wife and myself have pretty extensive backgrounds in design and fabrication.
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
r0sa

Post by r0sa »

that is awesome, with those zillion layers, it better be nice and warm!

nice sewing skills btw :D
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Wow, really nice job! Looks totally professional.

I am now sitting here, looking at my wife, saying. "Look! Isn't this cool? Will you make me an underhoody? Pllleeeeeeeaaaase?"
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

Thanks, I'll pass the compliments along to my wife. She did all the sewing after I made the pattern and picked out the materials. Not that I can't sew, she's just better at it than me. There's also the whole thing about it being her machine and I don't want to mess it up (threading those things always made me irritable); kinda like she can use a table saw, but she won't use my table saw. Hehehe.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

I tried to get my wife to show me how to use her machine, but, uh, I didn't really take to it and moved on. Think I'll try again though.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

Man, that turned out WAY cooler than my home made lap blanket.
I've been trying to make up my mind between making another one,
or just buying the Corazzo one.
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

Kaos wrote:Man, that turned out WAY cooler than my home made lap blanket.
I've been trying to make up my mind between making another one,
or just buying the Corazzo one.
You're the one that actually inspired me to make my own, so that's a hell of a compliment.

I'll try to find out what the batting is called - that layer makes this thing!

Another nod to my wife's tailoring skills: the fleece jacket that I'm wearing (not that it's a clear shot) is something she made for me just to see if she could. She really is a lot better at sewing than I am, but I can beat her hands down in special effects makeup! Wow... did I really go to school for technical theatre? /sigh

... I should try to find those pictures of my "Advanced Melanoma skin cancer" that I did for my makeup "gore and disease" assignment... That'd freak some people out!

As for your dilemma, make your own, it's very rewarding! Now I just need some patches for it to dress it up a bit.
kneil67@yahoo.com

Post by kneil67@yahoo.com »

really nice design probably better then store bought do the straps on the sides connect under the leg?
docutech

Post by docutech »

Very nice! I'll take one please 8)
jflegere

Post by jflegere »

Very nice indeed!

I would like to order one too, please! ("too tacky to not use" fleece pattern optional :D)
Howardr

Post by Howardr »

This looks great, but I've never seen one of things before. What is the
"Adjustable belt closure and lower securing tabs for a bungee - later to be replaced by a cinchable elastic band. " for? Does it go around your back?, under your legs? In the pick there is a belt over your legs.

Howard
Iron Butt Association Member Number 42256
Club - The Sky Island Riders.
Publisher: The Scooter 'Zine thescooterzine.com
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

Howardr wrote:This looks great, but I've never seen one of things before. What is the
"Adjustable belt closure and lower securing tabs for a bungee - later to be replaced by a cinchable elastic band. " for? Does it go around your back?, under your legs? In the pick there is a belt over your legs.

Howard
It fastens around the waist (the large belt and closure) kind of like a fanny pack. The tabs that are sewn into the inside are fastened behind the legs with a (soon to be rethought) bungee cord to help with it flapping in the wind.

I'm thinking about removing the tabs and making an elastic belt as I found that my bungee cord doesn't cut it on the ride to work this morning. Luckily, i grabbed it before I lost it. The idea behind the lower securing tabs is to reduce flapping - which would cause premature wear - while allowing me to put my feet down at a stop. It's a trial and error process mainly centered around me not wanting to attach Velcro to my scooter as I'll likely soon be selling it. But I'd be keeping the blanket!
ageekgirl

Post by ageekgirl »

Love the blanket! You (plural) did a fantastic job with it! I'm really impressed with it.

Of course, then you tease with this:
Lostmycage wrote: ... I should try to find those pictures of my "Advanced Melanoma skin cancer" that I did for my makeup "gore and disease" assignment... That'd freak some people out!
Please find pics! I did makeup for a local haunt for 15 years. I'd love to see what you did! :twisted:
shahdhch

Post by shahdhch »

That is awesome. I bought some fleece a couple of weeks ago to make myself one as well, just haven't gotten around to it. THis has inspired me to get started.
I once shot a man just to watch him die. Then I got distracted and missed it.
kilted texan

Post by kilted texan »

Would you be willing to post the pattern you used for it?
I brew... therefore I am.

Smoked Porter - Drinking
Peach Smoked Brown Ale - Drinking
Maibock - Lagering
British Mild - Carbonating
Oatmeal Stout - Aging in Whiskey barrel 3 weeks left
kraskaea

Post by kraskaea »

I'd love to see the pattern too! If you'd like to make some to supply the masses.. I'd also like one. :D
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

Wow... so this got a little more attention that I thought it would. I'll work something out for a pattern and see if I can't find a reasonable way to distribute it. We're still tweaking the anti-flapping stuff as I'm really opposed to adding Velcro to the scooter. I'll see if I can't get that part just right sometime this weekend. I'll talk to my wife and see if she's got some ideas as well and how she feels about distribution and or making more. She's already got at least two people at work wanting some for their husbands while they hunt.

I found the name of the insulation. It's called "Insul-Bright". It's Mylar that has open cell nylon fibers punched through the Mylar. The nylon does the insulation, the Mylar reflects heat back at it's source. Really neat stuff!

I was "testing" it the other night by sitting in my recliner and it put me right to sleep. I originally was just gonna see how long it took my legs to feel warm/hot - out like a light! I was just too comfy. I don't foresee that particular type of thing happening while riding, mind you. :lol:
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

Actually, just a feeler here, no promises yet:
What would you think is a fair price for one of these assembled?

Or, the pattern, material list and instructions?

Any additions/improvements?
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Lostmycage wrote:Or, the pattern, material list and instructions?

Any additions/improvements?
Pattern, list & instrux: I'd pay $15-$20. But I live near some places where I can get great deals on fabrics and materials, so others may not be as willing.

Additions & improvements: It's so customizable… For a fully-produced version, I'd say some reflective stripes on the sides. A simple drawstring bag that fits in a pet carrier would be great if it didn't add too much expense.
OKBubbles

Post by OKBubbles »

For the wind-flap problem -- how about sewing drapery weights into the bottom edge? I've seen flat metal pieces that are stitched in individually, and also heavy ballchain looking stuff that is run through a casing along the edge.
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

OKBubbles wrote:For the wind-flap problem -- how about sewing drapery weights into the bottom edge? I've seen flat metal pieces that are stitched in individually, and also heavy ballchain looking stuff that is run through a casing along the edge.
I'm actually planning on making a trip to the hardware store to match the thread on the "footrest" plates on the buddy for some I-bolts. I'd then just add some anchored in elastic bands (to ensure that no tearing would occur when putting my feet out) and a carabiner to attach it to the I-bolts. I'm pretty certain that if I can match that thread pattern, I have my solution.

I considered weights, but I don't like the idea. I ride fast and wind knows no mercy. I can only envision the flaps banging against the plastic panels in a very unsavory way. At one point I considered lining the bottom hem with some medium to light weight chain stitched in so it wouldn't shift, but I thought better solutions existed. I still think this comes in a very close second for a more universal model.

At one point I was thinking of making some form of chaps, and that might still be in the very near future. Trick is making them not look like chaps, lol.

I still want to incorporate some sort of reflective element to the design, whether it's piping, strips of reflective material or something much more drastic. We're still toying with that idea. What I'm using on my morning commutes is basically a surprisingly effective prototype. The only weak point in my morning setup is my leather gauntlets, lol. I'm just not sure I have the right size, the XL Redline leather gauntlet doesn't fit my hand just right. It's still about 300 times better than my Icon mesh gloves as far as keeping warm, though, so I don't regret that at all.

Thanks for the encouragement, all. And thanks to Ericalm, cause I probably wouldn't have posted this thread if not for his request.

That reminds me, I was asked to review the Armadillo Parka...
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

OKBubbles wrote:For the wind-flap problem -- how about sewing drapery weights into the bottom edge? I've seen flat metal pieces that are stitched in individually, and also heavy ballchain looking stuff that is run through a casing along the edge.
This is what I used in the first edition of my scooter apron. They do NOT weigh enough. I've got 4 in each corner and it still flaps like crazy. I think an elastic leg strap would work much better. I added a loop at the bottom that allowed me to hook the bottom edge of mine to the grocery hook, which helped some as well.
kilted texan

Post by kilted texan »

ericalm wrote:A simple drawstring bag that fits in a pet carrier would be great if it didn't add too much expense.
What about a large Crown Royal bag? Do you think that would be large enough.

If you can make a scaled down pattern it could be easily posted & downloaded. Then printed full scale at a printers, like Kinkos.
I brew... therefore I am.

Smoked Porter - Drinking
Peach Smoked Brown Ale - Drinking
Maibock - Lagering
British Mild - Carbonating
Oatmeal Stout - Aging in Whiskey barrel 3 weeks left
siobhan

Post by siobhan »

Lostmycage wrote:...
I found the name of the insulation. It's called "Insul-Bright". It's Mylar that has open cell nylon fibers punched through the Mylar. The nylon does the insulation, the Mylar reflects heat back at it's source. Really neat stuff!...
A bit of a highjack here, but this insulation stuff is amazing. I have an 18-year old cat and live in a freezing cold house. In an effort to keep her warm until I get home and make a fire, I have several beds with this stuff in it for her and she is always comfy warm because it reflects her heat back at her. A great solution, Lostmycage. And I do love the fleece you chose :)
MiguelATF

Question about Safety/Maneuverability - USE OF FEET?

Post by MiguelATF »

I'm seriously considering making or buying a Scooter Lap Apron - or whatever they are called - but I have a Question or two for anyone who has actually USED one....

When I ride my scooter, I must frequently stop - at stop signs, traffic lights, etc. When I do that, I often slide one foot down to the ground, usually the left foot.

How do scooter skirts / lap aprons - work with this maneuver?

Related question - most of my riding is on paved surfaces but occasionally I must go on dirt roads, gravel driveways, etc - and sometimes at slow speeds when the going is tricky, it's useful to be able to put either one or another foot - or sometimes both feet - down for balance. What happens if you are wearing a lap apron / scooter skirt?

2nd related question - the scooter I ride most of the time, a 1986 classic Honda Elite, has a foot brake (my right foot) and a hand brake (right hand) - unlike most modern scooters which only have double handbrakes. How does/would a lap apron / scooter skirt - affect foot braking?

And finally - I've read a large number of posts about the issue of skirts/aprons FLAPPING in the wind - and the strategies different people - and different manufacturers - have adopted to deal with this real phenomenon (supposedly the faster you are going, the more insane flapping you get, from what I can gather). Several strategies seem to involve either strapping the skirt/apron to the frame - or somehow attaching it, loosely, behind the legs (either with cords straps or bungies). BUT (and forgive me if I'm missing something here) - it seems to me that if one did any of these strapping/anti-flapping measures - they would further reduce the rider's maneuverability of one or both feet - especially in emergency situations, which (alas, in the real world) we all encounter sooner or later.

I'd appreciate feedback about these questions - before going forwards on my own scooter apron search....

Gracias!

Miguel
Last edited by MiguelATF on Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

I simply tuck mine behind my legs a bit, it flaps a little but not much. I can easily get both feet down just as quickly as I can without it, and it doesn't restrict my legs in any way. I don't think it would interfere with a foot brake either, as its not really restricting the legs at all anyway.
petunia

Post by petunia »

Kaos wrote:I simply tuck mine behind my legs a bit, it flaps a little but not much. I can easily get both feet down just as quickly as I can without it, and it doesn't restrict my legs in any way. I don't think it would interfere with a foot brake either, as its not really restricting the legs at all anyway.
What Kaos says above. I use a lap apron and really like it.
Eazy

Post by Eazy »

WANT!

I want to try to make my own, but I may shell out for the corazzo for review purposes.
-Ian Follow Me
'08 Genuine Stella - "totaled"
'06 Honda Elite 80 - "bullet proof"
Eazy Scoots.
kraskaea

Post by kraskaea »

I'm just saying.. I live in Richmond.. So, if you happened to want to make some more... Eh hem!

I got stuck in the rain yesterday, I have to figure something out! It was the most miserable experience.
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

Stay tuned, we might make a few extra to help the Blur restoration process or fund a bigger scooter... more later.
olhogrider

Post by olhogrider »

Keep us posted. The Tucano uses magnets that work well on metal scooters. The Scooterskirt uses velcro to prevent flapping. Ugly stick on stuff on the scooter.
Vic

Post by Vic »

I am working on my first draft of a scooterskirt, also. I am making a midweight skirt to get the design down. I got a piece of outdoor fabric that is usually used for making winter coats, it is already quilted and water resistant. I also got some polar fleece for the side panels.

The outdoor fabric is going to go down the front of my lap and the front of my legs. The fleece will go on the sides of my legs.

My plan is to put several layers of piping, one of the rows of piping I am working on replacing the cording with some wire. My goal is to make it stiff to reduce the flapping issue. I am trading in packability for wind stability. I don't know if it will work, it is as of yet untested, but it is an idea...

I used to sew a lot and used simple slopers to make my own patterns, particularly for my children's clothes. I am confident in my sewing skills.

Cheers,
-v
olhogrider

Post by olhogrider »

All this talk plus the drizzle outside got me thinking it's time for the Tucano. There aren't any magnets! That was a Scooterskirt option. The Tucano has an inflatable tube on either side to stiffen it. NO NOT LIKE THAT! It is like a Therm-a-rest pad.
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

I'm going to try a completely different design tonight. I'm thinking one of those stay on board aprons, but tailored to the Buddy.

The lap blanket is super comfy, and it doesn't flap too much, but I like easier solutions.
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

Lostmycage wrote:I'm going to try a completely different design tonight. I'm thinking one of those stay on board aprons, but tailored to the Buddy.

The lap blanket is super comfy, and it doesn't flap too much, but I like easier solutions.
You mean like the termoscud? I've wanted to try that one too...
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

Yep, pretty much exactly like that, but for a Buddy. It was too dark when I got home tonight to really try anything, so perhaps soon.
cframes1

Post by cframes1 »

I live in Colorado, so of course everyone has ski pants here. I found that ski pants work great, but, I would like to have the added benefit of wind protection. Is the pattern for sale yet? I want to buy one.
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

OK, so I've had to put this project on the back burner for the last few weeks. Having no daylight when I get home (no way in hell the wife would let me bring it inside to test fit things, HA!) and I've been working on sourcing out performance parts to replace those that were damaged by me recent run-in.

I've got some time this weekend, so hopefully I'll have time to work out a new design for a stay on cover. I've figured out the attachment, now I just need to make the pattern and choose/source the materials. I want some more weather resistant fabric if it's going to be a semi-permanent addition to the scooter. Hopefully I'll have more news by the end of the weekend.

If things work out, I might be able to start a small production run. More later...
olhogrider

Post by olhogrider »

If you get a chance, look at the Termoscud in person. Some really nice details like a storage pouch for gloves, a covered hole to reach the ignition and those side stiffeners. Good luck.
Pekabou

Post by Pekabou »

that is fantastic! Ya'll did a great job on it..

I've been thinking about making one...because Corazzo doesn't do pink fuzzy yet...

:)
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

I finally got off my rear and committed to making a stay on board apron. Patterns made and we're in the process of making a usable prototype. Different material all the way around, and (fingers crossed here) the mounting system that I worked out should work well. I'll make a new thread about it once I have something that's publishable.
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

Well, the stay-on wind guard idea got axed. The mounting set-up for it was more a pain that I really wanted to commit to, so that material will probably be repurposed to making a tail bag or something similar. Maybe I'll pick the project back up at a later date. That's half the fun of designing, though.

New project was just completed this evening. It started because since I got the Blur back, the old lap blanket wasn't working great with the center tunnel that the Blur has.

This one is basically a pair of insulated water repellent chaps. They look like ski pants at first glance. I'll be taking them out on a test ride tomorrow and then we'll snap some pics if they work out well. It's too dark to get a pic on the bike right now. More soon...
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

HA! I suck at keeping promises (just ask my wife)! I'll try to grab a snap shot or two of my scooter-chaps next week (I'm taking a mini-vacation with my wife this weekend to Howl-o-scream @ Busch Gardens & Colonial Williamsburg).

Just out of curiosity, how many do-it-yourselfers out there care to comment on a pattern and material list if I were to make something available? I'm looking for what you'd reasonably pay for a full sized pattern, material list and basic instructions. I'll gauge the average expectation against the cost to produce (PM me if you know how I could do this cheaper than going to Kinkos - I don't have a plotter, sadly). If it comes out on the positive side of even, I'll actually follow-through, but with a few tweaks from actual usage. This design worked fantastically when I had the Buddy last winter. I'm pretty sure I can adapt it for use on a scooter with a center channel like the Blur as well, but that one might take a little longer to develop.

So, what do you folks think? Is it even worth it? Is anyone interested at all? I've really no idea.
Mary Somerville

Post by Mary Somerville »

I don't need a full sized pattern. I could be fine with the dimensions. It's not like there will be too much difficult sizing (I expect, but maybe I'm wrong). I got a cutting board with a grid, I can work it out.

If you just mapped out the pieces in a PDF, and gave the materials and notions specs, I'd probably pay in the $10 range for that. $15 if it had the skirt and chaps variations.

I recently paid $7.60 for a knitted scooter pattern via PDF: :lol:
http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?li ... d=31233801

I have a thought on the alternatives to a plotter, I'll PM you with that.
UnionZac

Post by UnionZac »

Mary Somerville wrote: $15 if it had the skirt and chaps variations.
a chaps version would be cool!
UnionZac

Post by UnionZac »

...also before I run out and buy it, I didn't want to assume by the name, but is Duck Cloth water proof/resistant?
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

Not really waterproof, but it takes treatments like Nikwax well. I chose that cloth because it's durable.
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

What is it?

Its not a Scooter Skirt
and its not a Scooter Kilt

Lap Blanket? I think NOT!

Its a SCOOTER SNUGGIE!!!!!!
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

BuddyRaton wrote:What is it?

Its not a Scooter Skirt

Well that pretty much kills all my motivation. :cry:
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

Lostmycage wrote:
BuddyRaton wrote:What is it?

Its not a Scooter Skirt

Well that pretty much kills all my motivation. :cry:
NAH....you did a great job. You gotta remember where I live. I would ride around naked if I wouldn't get arrested

and...you know...the safety thing....yeah thats it...the safety thing...

Look at it this way...whoever came up with the snuggie has hauled in a few truck loads of money!
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL