Fork Squeeking, bottoming out ? ? ?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

cadillaczac

Fork Squeeking, bottoming out ? ? ?

Post by cadillaczac »

So my mom has a '09 Pampolona, it has roughly about 80 miles on it. She was saying that the forks were squeeking when going over bumps. Today I went over there and checked it out, the front end on this thing sounds like a pogo stick. The forks feel like there is no fluid in them at all. I inspected them for leaks but can't seem to find any . I went out the driveway and they bottomed out. My mom can't remember if this has happened since the first day she had her scoot. I am stumped. Any ideas or suggestions??? She doesn't want to take it to the scooter shop if it is something that could be an easy fix. Any help or input is definently appreciated.
Ventures Scooter Crew
Ventura County
www.camarollersscooterclub.blogspot.com
rickko

Post by rickko »

I could be wrong but I don't think the front forks are hydraulic so there should be no fluid leaking. If they were, then there would be a maintenance item to change the fluid on some periodic basis.

Sounds like its poor factory assembly quality control. I'd take it back in since its under warranty. But maybe someone else has experienced this and knows better.

If the dealership says they're going to replace the shocks, see if you can negotiate an upgrade to NCY shocks. They really look nice and feel good! Retail they are only $50 more than a pair of factory shocks. This is how they look on an Italia:

..r..
Ride it like you enjoy it!
MB member #2568
olhogrider

Post by olhogrider »

The forks are hydraulic. The oil doesn't get enough use to warrant a service interval. Most people with high mileage motorcycles change it from time to time. BMW recommends changing the brake fluid every three years. Is this a good idea on a Buddy? Sure, but the bike will probably be in a landfill or recycled before fork oil or brake fluid goes bad.
black sunshine

Post by black sunshine »

my '06 Buddy is having the exact same problem, only it occurs in the mornings / after sitting for awhile.

those ncy shocks look NICE! looks like something to save up for . . .